Before Wings

Before Wings

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Fifteen-year-old Adrien barely survived a brain aneurysm two years earlier, and is haunted by the fact that she could die from another one at any time. In fact, issues of life and death completely fill her world at Camp Lakeshore, owned and operated by her Aunt Erin, a woman with a haunted past of her own. Adrien bonds with Paul, a teen who is convinced that he has dreamt...more
Published August 1st 2001 by Orca Book Publishers (first published March 1st 2001)

Emily
I think I have a new favourite author to mine the back catalogue of... BEFORE WINGS was enchanting and so perfectly captured the feeling of in-between-ness that defines adolescence. Very beautiful, and I'm immensely glad i stumbled across this book in a used bookstore.
Kwoomac
Lydia
How do you describe the story of a teen age girl who had suffered from a brain aneurysm and now seems to be hanging between the world of the living and the world of the dead? Especially when she meets a boy at a summer camp, where she is working and is owned by her aunt, who is known as the "Doomsday Boy" because he has been dreaming about his own death for many years? When it is written by this gifted Canadian writer, you describe it as an excellent read.

This story was rather difficult for me t...more
Scarlet
A book like this deserves to be recognized. beth Goobie did an amazing job bringing a whole knew perspective on a touchy subject. Diseases, health issues, they are hard to deal with, but the protagonist in "Before Wings" is a strong girl who is stuck inbetween this world and the next. Her expirences at summer camp, the people she meets, the things she sees; they shape her and the help advance the plot.
I thought this book was erilly fantastic. It took me a while to understand it, but I realized...more
Tina
Apr 12, 2012 Tina rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: no
Ashiecha
I was trapped in Adrien's world for 2 days and I couldn't get out. This is the second book by Beth Goobie that I've read and she's now one of my favorite authors. The book was fantastic. Such a great story line. Amazing characters. Beautiful written. Very poetic. And watching Adrien learn about life and death and hope like that was life changing. So many great lessons to teach and I felt like I was learning all of those lessons along with her. I'm so thankful for the school project that brought...more
Katherine Wade
A little slow to begin with... but coming across the finish line with a gleaming gold medal.
It's rare to find a book that covers topics such as death, life, hope and freedom and mold them into a fascinating, heart-warming novel about a girl who has forgetten to live.
It's books like this that help open our eyes and let our hearts soar... they help us to appreciate the life we have been given. This book is a true gem!!!
Maria
Adrien is working for her aunt's summer camp, her first time back at the camp she attended as a kid since her near-fatal brain aneurysm two years ago. Adrien knows that the blood vessels in her head could explode again at any time, and that, the next tim
Amanda Day
I didn't expect this to be so good. It was the pretty cover that drew me in, the blurb sounded like it would be a nice easy read. It was an easy read, but also a good story with depth and also really beautiful writing.
elissa
I don't remember a whole lot about this, just that I liked it a lot, and that I recommended it to a friend who thinks a lot (obsesses? I'd have to let her answer that) about death (along with KIT'S WILDERNESS).
Beate
It's a wonderful and very beautiful book. It's very well written and I couldn't put it down at all. Had read it very fast and was quite impressed by it. It's currently one of my favorite books :)
Heather Clemons-Porter
Couldn't put it down, an interesting connected view of spirit world limboland.
Excellent book, you dont want to stop!
Nesannce Coon
Decent teen book.
Leah Field
Leah Field marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Doris
Doris marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Nancy Jones
Nancy Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Beth Goobie is best known for her quirky and dark young adult novels. She's published several of them, beginning in 1994. Her novel Before Wings won the Canadian Library Association's Young Adult Book Award in 2000, and was chosen by young readers for the Best Books list of the American Library Association.Much of the turmoil in Goobie's life has been laid bare in two books for adult readers, Scar...more
More about Beth Goobie...
The Lottery Hello, Groin Sticks and Stones (Orca Soundings) Something Girl Kicked Out