Start by marking “From Anna” as Want to Read:
From Anna

From Anna (Anna Solden #1)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  689 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Moving is never easy, especially when you're a little 9-year-old girl moving from the tumult of living in Nazi Germany to Canada in the 1930s. And if you're clumsy and your older brothers and sisters all call you "Awkward Anna" as well, it's even worse. In award-winning writer Jean Little's poignant novel, From Anna, readers are sure to be touched by Anna Soldens's struggl ...more
Published October 31st 1973 by HarperTrophy (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about From Anna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Anna

Terri
Nov 22, 2008 Terri rated it it was amazing
This book is top-notch. It is written by a very sensitive children's author, Jean Little. It is about a little girl who is different from the rest of the family. She is awkward and is always stumbling over things. She cannot understand how her brothers and sisters can tell their Father is coming down the street before she hears his steps. Her mother is exasperated with her because she cannot learn to sew, but Anna wonders where the eye of the needle is that she can't find. Her teacher says she i ...more
Kerri (Book Hoarder)
I love this book so much, it's one of those ones that I've read over and over.

Set in the 1930's, From Anna tells the story of a nine year old girl who has to deal with the tumult of moving from Germany to Canada. For a young girl who's always had to deal with being awkward and the one who sticks out among her siblings, the sudden chaos of the move, a new country and learning English means that this is a very difficult time for Anna - and for her family as well!

The story gently unravels Anna's
Westcoast_girl
Feb 05, 2016 Westcoast_girl rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children aged 6+, Christmas celebrators, Book lovers
I have read this book over and over.

Anna is a young girl from a large German family. With the threat of War coming, Anna's father moves the family to Canada. But the move isn't easy. Everyone must learn English and adjust to Canadian culture. Furthermore, Anna must stop being so clumsy!

Everyone scorns young Anna and calls her 'Awkward Anna'. That is, until a Doctor's report reveals that Anna has very bad eyesight. Once Anna is given glasses and put in a special class, her world blooms. Finally,
Melissa Frentsos
Mar 03, 2016 Melissa Frentsos rated it really liked it
We mostly liked this book. I didn't really like how the mom was always choosing "the dearest child" or some of the negative behaviors by some of the children. But the general story line was good - a German family with 5 children moves to Canada. The youngest girl, Anna, has trouble with lots of things and most of her family thinks she's just "slow" or even stupid (even she does). It turns out she just can't see and life improves for her when she gets glasses.
Mrs. S
Jul 06, 2013 Mrs. S rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
From Anna is another of Jean Little's books that I remembered from my childhood. It's funny how specific scenes and images have stuck with me and others are like new to me now. This book focuses on Anna, the slow, clumsy youngest child of a family who moves suddenly from Germany to Canada just before World War II breaks out. When they arrive in the States, Anna visits a doctor who discovers that her troubles are a result of her seriously limited eyesight. Getting glasses and joining a class of o ...more
Mommywest
Anna Solden has always been "awkward"--a word she hates, but accepts as true. It's a label her siblings have given her, and her school teacher and even her mother are exasperated with her. She constantly stumbles, cannot read well, and there are so many things she cannot do. Changes have come to Germany in the 1930's--some quite frightening--and Anna's father feels that it will be better if he takes his family away from an increasingly dangerous environment. The Soldens emigrate to Canada, where ...more
Gina
Sep 19, 2015 Gina rated it really liked it

Meet Anna, a 9-year-old German girl who has to make a new start in Canada. And boy, does she ever. Through a lot of the book she gets made fun of, and called Awkward. This soon changes once a very nice doctor tells her and her family something shocking. If I told any more, I'd be ruining this book.
Jean Little tends to write books about young children that have to overcome having a various disability. Anna does just this in this heartwarming story. You'd think that Anna would have done a lot of c
Cathryn
Nov 13, 2007 Cathryn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goodstuff
This actually probably more of a children's or young adult book, but I love it. It's a very tender story about a little girl who emigrates with her family to Canada from Germany on the eve of WWII.
Melissa
Mar 18, 2009 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This has been one of my favorite books for a long time.
Mary JL
Nov 26, 2008 Mary JL rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants a touching family story
From Anna is a wonderful, sensitive touching book. It concerns nine year old Anna who is emigrating from Germany in the 1930's to Canada.

But not only must Anna deal with the new country, but the old problems of being the misfit of the family. When they children are studying English, Anna's older borther Rudy names her "Awkward Anna:.

A quote: "Awkward! Awkward! How she hated it! How she thought it was true. Rudy used it most often--he guessed how much it hurt. Only Papa never used it--he Guessed
Niral
Dec 19, 2012 Niral rated it it was ok
Anna a 9-year-old girl moved from Nazi Germany to Canada around the 1030s. She cannot speak English very well, nor is she used to her new home in Canada. One day Anna realizes that she needs glasses, and that's why she was so clumsy all that time. All of a sudden her brothers and sisters thought of Anna so differently. I first picked this book up because I thought the book would have been a book like Dear John, but instead the title was "From Anna," my prediction turned out to be wrong. I finish ...more
Barbara Badore
Jun 08, 2014 Barbara Badore rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books from childhood ad one I still enjoy. Jean Little is a fantastic author. She usually has characters with some kind of disability but they are "normal"--they work with their limitations (or learn to) and overcome not just their limitations, but the normal growing pains as well.
Shanelle
Jan 13, 2016 Shanelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone of all ages
Jean Little is by far my favourite author and I have greatly enjoyed reading her books time and time again. "From Anna" is one of her books that I enjoy reading because Jean Little is able to create a moving and touching story through her characters.
I would recommend this book to readers of all ages and hope that they too will enjoy reading it as much as I did.
Rachel
This book is amazing! Though I'm much older now and reading it for the second time, I still could relate with Anna. I could practically feel her pain radiating out of the pages. Very well written
Mazzou B
Jan 13, 2016 Mazzou B rated it liked it
This book was an excellent picture of children who struggle with problems. It was also an interesting time period and setting; the author described German thoughts and ideals very well.
LauraW
Sep 27, 2015 LauraW rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, with its realistic description of the effects of a disability - in this case poor/limited eyesight. Nice family dynamics.
Katrina
May 17, 2015 Katrina rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorites growing up and I recently read it to my 10 y.o. She enjoyed it too and I liked it just as much as I did years ago.
Laylah
Feb 19, 2015 Laylah rated it it was ok
From Anna is appealing to those in third grade and under. Some may be touched by her story, others may not. Get a life, Anna!
Shanelle
Apr 07, 2015 Shanelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jean Little is one of my all-time favourite writers and after reading 'From Anna', it is clear that this story was definitely inspired by Jean Little's own life.
Amy Rose
Jul 15, 2014 Amy Rose rated it really liked it
One of my favourite books as a child. I must have read this five or six times in my middle school years.
Beth
Jan 26, 2011 Beth rated it it was amazing
This heart-warming story features Anna Soldens, who moves from Nazi Germany to Canada, where a family friend recognizes that her vision problem is the root of her academic issues and clumsiness. A special classroom and new teacher help Anna start over and gain a new sense of value. This wholesome story is suitable for religious audiences, and the story includes Christmas presents as part of the plot.
Sarah mang
Mar 23, 2015 Sarah mang rated it liked it
I think this book is great for people who likes meaningful books. Also for people who likes character development in the story. This book doesn't have action in it.l

Katie
Dec 05, 2010 Katie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Heather
One of my top 10, although I keep adding more than 10 to that list. It's one I come back to when I'm feeling sad and lonely. Rich and sweet, and unsentimental.

I wish I could find Listen for the Singing, the sequel.

Remind me and I'll write a fuller review later.
Shreya=Drastically Random. Find the emoticon.
Anna
Nov 07, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing
My name is Anna, so my mom got this book for me at a used-book sale. It sat on my shelf for a few weeks and then I started to read it. It was one of the most touching stories I have ever read. (Harry Portera us still better, of course.)
Mary Schwartz
Oct 19, 2010 Mary Schwartz rated it it was amazing
I thought From Anna by Jean Little was the best book I've ever read. I'm 50% German and this book is my favorite German story. Sometimes I feel just like Anna.
Shanna_redwind
Dec 03, 2012 Shanna_redwind rated it really liked it
This is one of my most remembered books. I truly loved it and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys children's literature. It's a beautiful story.
Lisa
Feb 03, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
Love Jean Little and the stories she creates. Also love that they are re-releasing the covers so that my current students are willing to pick them up :)
Evelyn
Aug 02, 2011 Evelyn rated it really liked it
Great little story, I remember Jean Little coming to my school in grade 5, she was very inspirational.
Randomfish
Jun 13, 2012 Randomfish rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I loved this book as a child, and recently re-read it; it's still good these many years later! :)
  • The Sky Is Falling (The Guests of War Trilogy, #1)
  • The Root Cellar
  • Evvy's Civil War
  • The Tamarack Tree
  • Who Comes with Cannons?
  • That Scatterbrain Booky (Booky, #1)
  • The Burning Time
  • Spacer and Rat
  • Shakespeare's Spy (Shakespeare Stealer, #3)
  • Remembering Mrs. Rossi
  • Graffiti Knight
  • Changing Woman and Her Sisters: Stories of Goddesses from Around the World
  • Underground to Canada
  • A Sea of Sorrows: The Typhus Epidemic Diary of Johanna Leary
  • Masha
Jean Little is a Canadian author, born in Taiwan. Her work has mainly consisted of children's literature, but she has also written two autobiographies: Little by Little and Stars Come Out Within. Little has been partially blind since birth as a result of scars on her cornea and is frequently accompanied by a guide dog.
More about Jean Little...

Anna Solden (2 books)