Start by marking “Little by Little: A Writer's Education ” as Want to Read:
Little by Little: A Writer's Education

Little by Little: A Writer's Education (Jean Little's Autiobiography #1)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The noted Canadian writer's autobiography.
Published March 1st 1991 by Puffin (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Little by Little, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little by Little

Cheryl
Wonderful. More like stories from her memory, than a formal autobiography, but as she says in the intro., "I have tried to write faithfully of my life as it seemed to me." And isn't that the point of memoirs anyway? When I read a biography I want to learn what shaped the person. And what shaped her is what she perceived - not what an 'objectively accurate' tape-recording of her childhood would expose.

Entertaining and inspirational, accessible to children and illuminating for adults.

A pervading...more
Emma
Jean Little as done it to me again. She has taken my heart, and poured her magnificant words all over it. I love it.
Everytime I finish one of her books, I get the feeling that it shouldn't be over, but it is, and that makes me happy. It's one of those feelings where you can't believe it's over, and you're heart is just racing and you loved it, and just want to flip back to the beginning and read it all again.
In her autobiography, to me, Jean Little expresses the struggles of being a child, along...more
Yvensong
"I was gradually learning that if you are different, nothing good about you mattered. And I had not really understood, until now, that I was different."

These two statements say so much about Jean Little's life experiences, and the experience of so many young people. She struggled, and got frustrated, and then found the one thing that allowed her to push through her pain and soar, making this a wonderful book for young people read.

I could, so easily, turn this into a personal note. So much of he...more
Darlene
This little book has been sitting on my real bookshelf forever, it seems. It is a bookcrossing copy, BCID: 979-11038203. It came into my care by way of my friend, Cheryl in CC NV. She was right, I did love it.

The reason, I think, that I put off reading this book is the tiny font. I often felt I could relate to Jean Little as my eyesight has been an issue of late. Trouble is, I can't put the book next to my nose to see the letters better. There seems no good way to hold a book with small font so...more
Mandy
I felt sorry for you Ms.Little, but I really admire the way you faced problems. Even when you got really upset about other kids teasing you, you still faced it. I know it is hard to be called with a nickname. It reminded me when I was called by my classmates with a nickname. Unlike yours, ine was called "four-eye-chicken." I know how you feel about being picked on. I felt like I was smaller than everyone else, and like I'm a weirdo, like I don't belong here, like I belong in a different planet....more
Jane Buttery
Jean Little is a wonderful children's writer. Because of her own disability, she has empathized with anyone with problems in life or a disability. Jean, against all odds, has written 35 books and this autobiography reveals that it hasn't been an easy life.
I met Jean 15 years ago at her home and watched her Tell children a story in the middle of a busy afternoon. She deserves to be known and this autobiography shows her love of writing and determination against all odds to get the job done. Brav...more
Katie
I read it twice in a row. I read a number of Little's children/YA books as a kid and it was fun to see some of their roots in her own childhood. The room with the skylight, the math-test cheating, having to give up her private room, WWII, and getting caught in lies all turn up in this book.

I already knew that From Anna was partly drawn from life. Little was born blind and gained partial sight later, but often no one realized how little she saw. She too attended Sight Saving classes. She was tea...more
Shirleen

Loved every minute of reading this book. I felt that this author, Jean Little, is kind and generous and insightful and I have a lot I could learn from her. I loved and learned much from her parents as well. She was very much loved by them, and yet they did not pamper her or fight her battles. So sad to see some of the challenges she encountered while growing up. She was legally blind, and was teased and shunned by classmates in school. But, much because of her parents' wise upbringing, she learn...more
Aziza
Jean little has led an extraordinary life. Nearly blind from birth, also she had what her friends called bad eyes. I feel sad for her in this story and I think even her friend are being mean with her as well and I don’t like it when friends and mean to her. In my way I think friend should help us out not just say bad things about you. If you have friend then friend should support me and not agree with other people say things to me.
Darlene Foster
It is always great to learn more about an author you admire. Jean Little is not only a wonderful writer, she is a fine example of someone who has succeeded in spite of barriers. What an inspiration. Her autobiography is written with truth, humour and emotion.
Leslie
I bought this book for my 12 yr old daughter and as usual, Im reading it as well. It is always an inspiration to read books about authors with an early penchant for writing. So far, so good.
happyd
One of my all time favourite books - an autobiography by a great Canadian children's writer.

My copy is signed!
Rayna
Very touching. It will make me think twice next time before I even think about looking down on someone's differences.
Louisa Ielo
An excellent story of growing up with disability.
Leni
What an interesting life!!!
Julie
love it so far.
Marwan Mahmoud
Feb 12, 2013 Marwan Mahmoud marked it as to-read
Read
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Randomfish
Randomfish marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Sherri
Sherri marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Vijjola
Vijjola marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Toni
Toni added it
Sep 11, 2014
Radu
Radu added it
Sep 09, 2014
Juliette Ryan
Juliette Ryan marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Jean Little is a Canadian author, born in Taiwan. Her work has mainly consisted of children's literature, but she has also written two autobiographies: Little by Little and Stars Come Out Within. Little has been partially blind since birth as a result of scars on her cornea and is frequently accompanied by a guide dog.
More about Jean Little...
Orphan at My Door: The Home Child Diary of Victoria Cope From Anna Brothers Far From Home: The World War I Diary of Eliza Bates (Dear Canada) If I Die Before I Wake: The Flu Epidemic Diary of Fiona Macgregor (Dear Canada) Mine for Keeps