Start by marking “Little by Little: A Writer's Education ” as Want to Read:
Little by Little: A Writer's Education

Little by Little: A Writer's Education (Jean Little's Autiobiography #1)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  163 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
The noted Canadian writer's autobiography.
Published March 1st 1991 by Puffin (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Little by Little, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little by Little

Emma
Aug 02, 2015 Emma rated it it was amazing
Jean Little as done it to me again. She has taken my heart, and poured her magnificant words all over it. I love it.
Everytime I finish one of her books, I get the feeling that it shouldn't be over, but it is, and that makes me happy. It's one of those feelings where you can't believe it's over, and you're heart is just racing and you loved it, and just want to flip back to the beginning and read it all again.
In her autobiography, to me, Jean Little expresses the struggles of being a child, along
Yvensong
"I was gradually learning that if you are different, nothing good about you mattered. And I had not really understood, until now, that I was different."

These two statements say so much about Jean Little's life experiences, and the experience of so many young people. She struggled, and got frustrated, and then found the one thing that allowed her to push through her pain and soar, making this a wonderful book for young people read.

I could, so easily, turn this into a personal note. So much of he
Darlene
May 20, 2014 Darlene rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Darlene by: Cheryl in cc nv
This little book has been sitting on my real bookshelf forever, it seems. It is a bookcrossing copy, BCID: 979-11038203. It came into my care by way of my friend, Cheryl in CC NV. She was right, I did love it.

The reason, I think, that I put off reading this book is the tiny font. I often felt I could relate to Jean Little as my eyesight has been an issue of late. Trouble is, I can't put the book next to my nose to see the letters better. There seems no good way to hold a book with small font so
Mandy
Nov 20, 2008 Mandy rated it really liked it
I felt sorry for you Ms.Little, but I really admire the way you faced problems. Even when you got really upset about other kids teasing you, you still faced it. I know it is hard to be called with a nickname. It reminded me when I was called by my classmates with a nickname. Unlike yours, ine was called "four-eye-chicken." I know how you feel about being picked on. I felt like I was smaller than everyone else, and like I'm a weirdo, like I don't belong here, like I belong in a different planet. ...more
Jane Buttery
Jul 22, 2011 Jane Buttery rated it it was amazing
Jean Little is a wonderful children's writer. Because of her own disability, she has empathized with anyone with problems in life or a disability. Jean, against all odds, has written 35 books and this autobiography reveals that it hasn't been an easy life.
I met Jean 15 years ago at her home and watched her Tell children a story in the middle of a busy afternoon. She deserves to be known and this autobiography shows her love of writing and determination against all odds to get the job done. Brav
Charlotte
Jan 14, 2015 Charlotte rated it it was amazing
As a kid with bad eyesight, who pre-glasses read with the book pressed up to my nose, this book about a blind woman was a revelation. I can vividly remember proudly delivering a book report about this book right after I got my first pair of glasses.

When my parents moved out of the house I grew up in, this book was one of the few childhood belongings I rescued from the donation pile.
Naomi Carlin
Sep 18, 2015 Naomi Carlin rated it liked it
This book is a great portrayal of the author's struggles as a young child with vision problems. It tells of her struggles with bullies and how she overcame them. It clearly illustrates her spirit of never giving up in spite of teachers and fellow students ridiculing her.
Katie
Apr 23, 2013 Katie rated it really liked it
I read it twice in a row. I read a number of Little's children/YA books as a kid and it was fun to see some of their roots in her own childhood. The room with the skylight, the math-test cheating, having to give up her private room, WWII, and getting caught in lies all turn up in this book.

I already knew that From Anna was partly drawn from life. Little was born blind and gained partial sight later, but often no one realized how little she saw. She too attended Sight Saving classes. She was tea
Shirleen
May 12, 2012 Shirleen rated it really liked it

Loved every minute of reading this book. I felt that this author, Jean Little, is kind and generous and insightful and I have a lot I could learn from her. I loved and learned much from her parents as well. She was very much loved by them, and yet they did not pamper her or fight her battles. So sad to see some of the challenges she encountered while growing up. She was legally blind, and was teased and shunned by classmates in school. But, much because of her parents' wise upbringing, she learn
Aziza
Jan 16, 2009 Aziza rated it really liked it
Jean little has led an extraordinary life. Nearly blind from birth, also she had what her friends called bad eyes. I feel sad for her in this story and I think even her friend are being mean with her as well and I don’t like it when friends and mean to her. In my way I think friend should help us out not just say bad things about you. If you have friend then friend should support me and not agree with other people say things to me.
Darlene Foster
Dec 06, 2013 Darlene Foster rated it it was amazing
It is always great to learn more about an author you admire. Jean Little is not only a wonderful writer, she is a fine example of someone who has succeeded in spite of barriers. What an inspiration. Her autobiography is written with truth, humour and emotion.
Leslie
May 05, 2009 Leslie rated it liked it
Shelves: goose, petunia
I bought this book for my 12 yr old daughter and as usual, Im reading it as well. It is always an inspiration to read books about authors with an early penchant for writing. So far, so good.
happyd
Sep 03, 2007 happyd rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alltimefaves
One of my all time favourite books - an autobiography by a great Canadian children's writer.

My copy is signed!
Rayna
Feb 03, 2015 Rayna rated it really liked it
Very touching. It will make me think twice next time before I even think about looking down on someone's differences.
Louisa Ielo
Dec 02, 2013 Louisa Ielo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent story of growing up with disability.
Leni
Dec 23, 2010 Leni rated it liked it
What an interesting life!!!
Julie
Marwan Mahmoud
Feb 12, 2013 Marwan Mahmoud marked it as to-read
Read
Sandi
Sandi rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Fatima Gamar
Fatima Gamar rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Melanie Rightmyer
Melanie Rightmyer marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
E Ryan
E Ryan added it
Jan 21, 2016
Karen
Karen added it
Jan 19, 2016
Matthew J.
Matthew J. marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Christiana
Christiana marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Jailyn Nevarez
Jailyn Nevarez rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Brian
Brian rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • With Love From Booky (Booky, #2)
  • I Have Cancer. And I've Never Felt Better!
  • Big Backpack - Little World
  • My Kind of Crazy: Living in a Bipolar World
  • How to Self-Publish a Book on Amazon.com: Writing, Editing, Designing, Publishing, and Marketing
  • Lesbian Crushes and Bulimia: A Diary on How I Acquired my Eating Disorder
  • How to Publish an eBook on a Budget - An Author's Guide
  • Everything but the Horse
  • Second-Chance Mother
  • The Adventures of Bindi Girl: Diving Deep Into the Heart of India
  • From Word to Kindle: Self Publishing Your Kindle Book with Microsoft Word, or Tips and Secrets for Formatting Your Text in MS Word and Converting Your Document to a Kindle Ebook (Version 2)
  • Drawing Autism
  • Roughing It in the Bush
Jean Little is a Canadian author, born in Taiwan. Her work has mainly consisted of children's literature, but she has also written two autobiographies: Little by Little and Stars Come Out Within. Little has been partially blind since birth as a result of scars on her cornea and is frequently accompanied by a guide dog.
More about Jean Little...

Jean Little's Autiobiography (2 books)
  • Stars Come Out Within