Start by marking “Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson” as Want to Read:
Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson

Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  378 ratings  ·  36 reviews
In this vivid biography Geoffrey C. Ward brings back to life the most celebrated — and the most reviled — African American of his age.

Jack Johnson battled his way out of obscurity and poverty in the Jim Crow South to win the title of heavyweight champion of the world. At a time when whites ran everything in America, he took orders from no one and resolved to live as if co
Published January 3rd 2006 by Vintage (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Unforgivable Blackness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unforgivable Blackness

The Fight by Norman MailerUnforgivable Blackness by Geoffrey C. WardThe Devil and Sonny Liston by Nick ToschesThe Sweet Science by A.J. LieblingKing of the World by David Remnick
Best Books on Boxing and Boxers
2nd out of 94 books — 45 voters
Moneyball by Michael LewisFriday Night Lights by H.G. BissingerSeabiscuit by Laura HillenbrandThe Blind Side by Michael LewisFever Pitch by Nick Hornby
Top reads for sports fans
137th out of 527 books — 509 voters

More lists with this book...

Rose
Nov 07, 2008 Rose rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Rick
Jack Johnson was one of the early twentieth century’s most controversial figures. He was the first black man to attain the world heavyweight championship title, an honor that had been the exclusive domain of white boxers since the sport began. His flashy personality, considerable wealth, and refusal to let his race limit his career and marital prospects belied the traditional concept of the servile, grovelling black. When Johnson beat up white men in the ring and consorted with white women in pu ...more
Jill
A great book about a great man- the first black heavyweight champion of the world- a fascinating, erudite modern man. It makes no difference if you are interested in boxing-Goeffrey Ward gives a highly detailed account of society, sports, politics and good 'ol American pre-civil rights prejudice. Minus the lynchings, reminds us how little has changed today in backwoods white vs. black America (except then the hate was publicly spewed in shocking daily headlines). Because of the champion title of ...more
Eric
Jan 10, 2010 Eric marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I grew up knowing that Johnson had been a dapper man because anything sharp or tight or natty was defined as such by its likeness to "Jack Johnson's hatband." My dad is a storehouse of old southern sayings; I feel ashamed of my teenage eye-rollings.
Crease
I've often told the story of how, during the years my parents had split and I lived with my mom, she didn't raise me. She loved me, protected me, provided for me, but didn't raise me; Michael Jordan, Harold Washington (Chicago's first black mayor), Arthur Fonzarelli and Hulk Hogan raised me. As a young boy, I was wildly into my heroes, my idols...these men I looked to for "how to be a man" when my father wasn't immediately available.

Jack Johnson was all of these men rolled into one.

The first b
stacy
Nov 10, 2007 stacy marked it as to-read
Boxer Jack Johnson's 1914 memoir MES COMBATS (My Fights) appears at Harvard University's Widener Library....

Sure wish American audiences at large could read about his largely unknown 1911 musings to a French sports magazine, including candid observations on racism likely never intended for American readers. The comments have been translated to English in their entirety for the first time. The result, "My Life & Battles." 127-pages. But you'll have to hope train, plain or automobile to get to
C Baker
In the introduction to his biography of Jack Johnson, Geoffrey C. Ward indicates that his primary source was newspaper articles. And indeed, this biography reads much like a very long newspaper account of the life of Jack Johnson. This isn't good or bad, but an apt description of what it is like reading this biography. In fact, Ward has done a commendable job in weaving what he had to work with into a very readable, informative, and enjoyable work.

Jack Johnson was the boxing world heavyweight ch
Mark Desrosiers
I know it's tough to top Nick Tosches, but this bio's refusal to do what Nick always does -- get inside the minds of everyone involved and try to think through their gonzo acts and decisions -- makes for a very dry read. As a thoroughly researched just-the-facts bio, this is an interesting and useful read, but there's just so much I still don't understand. I mean, really, how did such a sexually prolific guy end up with no children, acknowledged or otherwise? And what worm turned in Jim Jeffries ...more
Jacob
Jack Johnson is one of the great Self-created characters of American History. The things he did and said are the stuff of legend, and would be remarkable regardless of his race. The fact that he did these things as a black man in a time when lynchings were routine, and segregation was the norm, is incredible. The Comparison to Muhammad Ali is often made, and perhaps rightfully so, however it should not be overlooked that Johnson built HIS eccentric legend without an entourage, without television ...more
Joslyn
Jul 25, 2007 Joslyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anybody
Shelves: recentlyread
This is a biography of Jack Johnson (the boxer) and it is a really good read. It is a tragic story, but is very reflective of the spirit it took for African-Americans to succeed in anything at that time. Although he eventually was his own downfall, you can see the chain of events that led to his demise. One thing I admired about him was that he reveled in his heritage and loved what and who he was. He never apologized for being black, which was the custom in those days, and he never tried to dow ...more
Gary Schantz
As I read over the other reviews, I find that they are mostly about not wanting to be offensive because the book is about the first black heavyweight champion of boxing. The problem is these reviews are aimed at the subject rather than the book.

The subject is very interesting...the book is a bore.

The book is not only bad...it reads like a tale that several people are telling as they sit on a porch and reflect on a subject which occurred many years ago.

Also practically every page is footnoted whi
Nada
Michael Jackson referred to Jack Johnson's story as one of the stories that gave him strength during the second false accusation so I decided to give it a chance and watched it as a documentary, it was beautiful.
It is a biography of Jack Johnson, the first African-American Heavyweight Boxing Champion of the World and it is a documentary about injustice, inequality and racism back in Jim Crow damned era.
How white America went after him and changed LAWS just to get this strong black man who was un
Jeremy
Unforgivable Blackness is the story of Jack Johnson, the first black Heavyweight champion of the world. And while boxing is the reason this book exists, the societal and cultural aspect of Jack Johnson's impact on the world is the real story. Johnson saw no reason he shouldn't do whatever he wanted, like anyone else, regardless of his color. Spending large sums of money, driving fast cars, or even seeing/dating/marrying white women, Johnson did it all, in the face of a society that told him he c ...more
David
Racial politics in turn of the 20th Century America and a supremely talented, cocksure, black heavyweight boxer who refused to play by the rules of society is a mixture that was never going to work well.

Jack Johnson spent years looking for an opportunity to reach the peak of his sport, as a succession of white heavyweights refused to step into the ring with him because of the colour of his skin.

Once he finally gained the title, his approach to life, particularly his relationships with white wom
Christopher Carbone
May 29, 2009 Christopher Carbone rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: sports fans
The first black heavyweight champion of the world was, for a time, the most hated man in America, drawing the color line into sharp contrast. The story of Jack Johnson is a complicated, stark one filed with contradictions and easy to hate and hard to love men and women. Overall, its the story of Jack Johnson and the way he lived his life.

The book explains in very good detail Johnson's life, how he got into boxing and how his personality exploded onto the world stage. Johnson was a crafty, sleek
Owen Hurd
This is a fascinating account of Jack Johnson, the first African-American heavyweight boxing champion. As a Chicagoan who's read a little bit about our city's history, I was especially drawn to the passages describing Johnson's domestic life (such as it was), the home where he put up his mother, and the club he opened in the city's red-light district, the Levee.

I was interested to learn that Johnson was arrested for violating the white slave act (Mann Act), for transporting a white woman over s
G.d. Brennan
Once upon a time, before Ron Artest, Latrell Sprewell, and Allen Iverson started undoing the legacy of NBA saints like Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson, before the Kobe trial and the O.J. trial and the Tyson trial, before Tommie Smith and John Carlos raised Black Power fists at the 1968 Olympics, and before Muhammad Ali refused to be drafted, there was one original Controversial Black Athlete. Like so many others, his personal life spawned as many newspaper headlines as his professional accompli ...more
Jesse Christopherson
Well-written, sympathetic but not hagiographic, about a great man who never got his due. I kept wanting things to turn out better for him personally, but the quality of his life was a bell curve that peaked too early. People at the time blamed him for exercising privileges that were supposed to be reserved for white men. They reveled in his struggles. In retrospect, the racial double standard, not his "unseemly" conduct, deserves the blame.
Patrick
Oct 17, 2008 Patrick rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: history/sports fans
Recommended to Patrick by: read a review
Simply eye opening look at racism in America through the eyes of sports.
Johnson's unforgivable sins were a: pummeling white fighters in the ring, and b: cavorting with white women outside the ring. But he was the rarest of men who simply lived his life (albeit not simply) without regard for how others saw him.
At the time I read it, Terrell Owens was in the news for doing something stupid, and the contrast between the perception and tolerance for two similar men in the span of 100 years was a fas
Bookmarks Magazine

Jack Johnson's colorful personality and his impact on American racial politics make him a fascinating topic for a biography. Critics were interested in this account of his extraordinary life, but many had complaints. Foremost among these was Ward's failure to provide historical analysis and context. Unforgivable Blackness doesn't ask any probing questions about Johnson's influence or his legacy; even though Ward did his research, those seeking an in-depth examination of his life will be disappoi

J.B. Shearman
Reading this biography made me wonder what magnitude of celebrity Jack Johnson would have been if he were a heavyweight in today's day an era. His brash and confident personality was vilified because of his skin color but today his individualism would be celebrated. His ability to look at society and life beyond the black and white of that era was met with tons of opposition.

I'm glad I picked this book up randomly on a trip in to borders after reading the back cover because I now know about the
Dustin Bass
Perhaps, it was just me, but this biography was very slow. Great information. Great life story. But it felt to take forever. Extremely well researched and put together.
Shalon Montgomery
I am not into long books, but this was worth it. Johnson was a man who took advantage of his gifts and answered to few and he wasn't alone in his thinking and actions. The book deglorifies America but its a great book that shows the beginning of boxing, corruption of sports and the importance of sports in society.
Sebastian
A little too methodical at times (a fighter of Jack Johnson's stature, who brought his own distinct and remarkably successful approach to the ring, deserves something with a bit more style to match!), but generally speaking a very interesting look into one of the most significant and overlooked figures in American sports history.
Ron Setala
I enjoyed this book. It was not just a fight by fight account of the champion's life. It was a story about his life, his loves, his struggles and his successes. I was not aware of his involvement with Joe Louis, or how he pursued Jack Dempsey. Those two champions are next of my search of new boxing hero based biographies.
Nathan
The story of Jack Johnson has all the right elements: the racial tensions of the Schmeling-Louis fights, a hero brash and colorful as Muhammad Ali. Ward's detached and colorless narrative are made that much more disappointing, though he tries gamely and manages to end his story on a poetic, if somewhat predictable, note.
Erin
An amazing story. Jack Johnson was certainly an intriguing guy. He had a lot against him, but at the same time, didn't care what people thought to the point that he aliented himself from practially everyone. Very tragic. Definitely a long, but good read!
Mfalco65
I went through a phase where I was wholly obsessed with PBS documentaries. I picked up the book the moment I heard the documentary was forthcoming. It is a great snapshot at a man who refused to be backed into a corner.
Blake
This story is very interesting and I am wondering why it took a Ken Burns film to get a book written about it. Jack Johnson is a very dynamic person, though not the best moral compass. Great story, could almost seem like fiction.
Jay
Great book! Jack Johnson dared to live his life the way he wanted at a time when people of color were still regarded as less than. He paid a price but Jack Johnson still walked with his head held high!
Scott Finley
If Jack Johnson were alive today I think SportsCenter or Outside The Lines would have to create a new show just for him. The footnotes alone make for a pretty interesting read.
  • A Flame of Pure Fire: Jack Dempsey and the Roaring '20s
  • Muhammad Ali: His Life and Times
  • Beyond Glory: Joe Louis vs. Max Schmeling, and a World on the Brink
  • King of the World: Muhammad Ali and the Rise of an American Hero
  • Ghosts of Manila: The Fateful Blood Feud Between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier
  • Four Kings: Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, Duran and the Last Great Era of Boxing
  • The Devil and Sonny Liston
  • Cinderella Man: James Braddock, Max Baer, and the Greatest Upset in Boxing History
  • The Fight
  • Johnny U: The Life and Times of John Unitas
  • The Sweet Science
  • The Last Great Fight: The Extraordinary Tale of Two Men and How One Fight Changed Their Lives Forever
  • Hands of Stone: The Life and Legend of Roberto Duran
  • A Walker in the City
  • Sweet Thunder: The Life and Times of Sugar Ray Robinson
  • Only the Ball Was White: A History of Legendary Black Players and All-Black Professional Teams
  • The Long Ball: The Summer of '75 -- Spaceman, Catfish, Charlie Hustle, and the Greatest World Series Ever Played
  • Satchel: The Life and Times of an American Legend
Geoffrey Champion Ward is an author and screenwriter of various documentary presentations of American history. He graduated from Oberlin College in 1962.

He was an editor of American Heritage magazine early in his career. He wrote the television mini-series The Civil War with its director Ken Burns and has collaborated with Burns on every documentary he has made since, including Jazz and Baseball.
More about Geoffrey C. Ward...
The Civil War: An Illustrated History Baseball The War: An Intimate History, 1941-1945 Mark Twain Jazz: A History of America's Music