Start by marking “High Life, Low Life Level 4” as Want to Read:
High Life, Low Life Level 4

High Life, Low Life Level 4

Award-winning original fiction for learners of English. At seven levels, from Starter to Advanced, this impressive selection of carefully graded readers offers exciting reading for every student's capabilities. A story of jealousy, estrangement and murder. Private Investigator Nathan Marley is hired by a homeless woman to find her missing son. At the same time Marley embar ...more
Published November 12th 2001 by Cambridge University Press (first published 2001)

Maside Kabakci
I read High Life Low Life by Alan Battersby. This book is about a private investigator,Nat Marley, and his tries to solve all problems that he had encountered. He knows the woman, an homeless and old, since he worked New York Police Department. The woman has an heart attack while they are talking. He saves her life but she is no good. She has a last desire from Nat regarding she hadn't seen her son for twenty years. He finds her son before her mother died. Also, this life saves publishes inside ...more
Sep 10, 2009 Cici rated it it was amazing
#1- 1->51 pages.
When I read the book, Annie Clayton reminded me about the man i met when i was a child. He was a homeless, but he had family, only he didn't like to live with them. My grandma told me about his life. He was a businessman, but his business was not good, he was broke and became got mad. He went everywhere and begged people food ad clothes. After few years, i didn't see him anymore. so I though he was died.

I think the author wrote this story to makes the reader understandi
Discussion Questions for Fiction

the following general questions can be applied to any novel, and they provide a good starting point for creating your own discussion questions for a given work.

What was unique about the setting of the book and how did it enhance or take away from the story?
This book is fiction that is an exciting series of original. Because of this book describe a women is murdered when story begin.

What specific themes did the author emphasize t throughout the novel? What do yo
沙綾 須長
Dec 17, 2012 沙綾 須長 rated it liked it
-Cambridge University, level4
-Time: 12/16=60minutes, 12/17=60minutes
-7 words summary: Marley, Stella, Annie, murder, homeless, Casino,
-Discussion questions
1. The murder Martha did casino by using stealing money. Have you ever done casino?
-No, I have not. But, I have played ocero by wagering some money.
2.The main character Marley is a private investigator, not public investigator. Do you want to be a self-employed person ?
-No, I don't. Because it's very hard for me to bring people together
Apr 24, 2008 Gretchen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 6th grade and up
Recommended to Gretchen by: I-Ting Huang
It was a cute story. Very simple to understand. It is about a private investigator in NYC who comes in contact with a homeless woman who is dying and a very wealthy woman and how their lives intertwined. I enjoyed it. It is short and easy to read.
Scott Hayden
Jul 04, 2016 Scott Hayden rated it really liked it
Recommended to Scott by: Khun Baa
Shelves: mystery, detective
Good clean, simple detective story set in New York City. Two cases converge in a surprise ending: one of a homeless woman looking for a lost son, another of a rich woman willing her fortune to a stranger.
May 12, 2014 Edward rated it it was amazing
It's make us confident more . I can understand about homeless people and their difficult life ! We can change the current life to have good life.
Davon Halim
Jan 28, 2016 Davon Halim rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic book. The perfect amount of suspension for me - not too tense. The suspension is also very consistent throughout the book, making it even better. Definitely suggested.
Beatriz rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2015
Kamala Raveendran
Kamala Raveendran rated it did not like it
Apr 29, 2014
Victoria rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2014
Geri rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2015
Santosh Dubey
Santosh Dubey rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2014
Lucy Hou
Lucy Hou rated it did not like it
Oct 11, 2015
Marah Khawaja
Marah Khawaja rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2014
Lidia Rossatti
Lidia Rossatti rated it did not like it
Jan 07, 2015
Soumya Mishra
Soumya Mishra rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2014
黑乎乎合乎 rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Mahmoud El serafy
Mahmoud El serafy rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2013
Abdulmajeed Alarfaj
Abdulmajeed Alarfaj rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2014
Laura rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2010
Reem rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2011
Leiah rated it really liked it
May 04, 2013
Gaby rated it did not like it
Jun 15, 2015
Camila rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2015
Rawan Saleem
Nov 04, 2013 Rawan Saleem rated it liked it
i found it very boaring and it is not very attractive
Yasuko Takatsuki
Feb 26, 2014 Yasuko Takatsuki rated it it was ok
2013.5.22 18273words
Rahul Vaidya
Rahul Vaidya rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2015
Arpine Minasian
Arpine Minasian rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2015
Maaike rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Emergency Murder Level 5
  • Cease and Desist (The IMA, #4)
  • Pushed (Held, #2)
  • Flesh and Bones (Jake Lassiter Mystery)
  • Pokondirena tikva
  • Slovenska mitologija
  • Mali pirat
  • Lirika Itake i kometari
  • Greek Lyric Poetry
  • Pod svobodnim soncem: povest davnih dedov
  • Sve moje gluposti
  • Le Grand Vizir Iznogoud (Iznogoud, #1)
  • Il giorno del giudizio
  • Kuća sećanja i zaborava
  • Pablo Picasso, 1881-1973: Genius of the Century
  • Novela od Stanca
  • Što je muškarac bez brkova
  • The Tower