Start by marking “Living Sober” as Want to Read:
Living Sober

Living Sober

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  433 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Living Sober is an extremely informative book which does not offer a plan for getting sober but does offer us sound advice about how to stay sober. Basic, essential information from Alcoholics Anonymous. As the book states, "Anyone can get sober. . .the trick is to live sober."
Published February 10th 2002 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services (first published October 28th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Living Sober, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Sober

Lynndb
Feb 18, 2011 Lynndb added it
This was one of my first building blocks in my foundation of sobriety. i have since read most AA literature and my life is AMAZING today! One Day At A Time, I have not found it necessary to have a drink since 12-24-99. Something is definitely working!
Mark
This little book SAVED my LIFE!!!! What more can I say, just feel free to ask me for the DETAILS. I'll be happy to share more about my comment.
Paula Kirman
I have several friends with addiction issues and have wanted to know more about AA and the support it offers.
Heather Key
For me I found this book very simple and just not worth the read. It had very general info that could be taken from just common sense. Most of the suggestions were things AA members, therapist, and mentors had already told me face to face. Nothing much to learn from here.
Jared
So I don't drink. I have never been a drinker. I can count the times I have had alcohol on one finger. I read this book because it was on a bookshelf at a home I was at. One overwhelming thing I took from this book was that lots of A.A. stuff is based on "this has worked for a lot of people" Nothing super scientific about that. Does why even really matter? I know I get hung up on why's a lot instead of just doing what ought be done...not with drinking but with many an other thing. So maybe that' ...more
Holly
Great addition to any recovery program. Sobriety is more than...not drinking.
Patricia Atkinson
this book is good for people who want to or are quitting drinking.
Saira
to continue my trend of reading about drunks and junkies, this book was recommended to me. short, simple, and quite refreshing for everyone methinks, not just the addict. not a how-to per se, but a reminder that living well takes dedication. I'm constantly struck by how many principles and writings for addicts strike a chord across humanity -- everyone gets sad, not all drink. everyone gets angry, not all use. everyone gets bored, but some find interesting ways to fill their time.
Eddie
I learned a bunch of great tips on how to stay sober.

One thing I enjoy about this book is that it gives additional methods than just the steps and going to meetings to stay sober.

Also I enjoy that it is written in much a much plainer style than the big book.

Please note that it was written a bit after the big book and the twelve and twelve as a "here is our experience, now learn from it" kinda thing.
Foxtower
Gee, if only drinking was my problem! It's makes me envious of those people who can make a significant improvement in their life by rising to the challeneg and geting past a terible addiction. I know that this book, as just a small part of the A.A. movement, really means a lot to many people and the guidance it provides applies to all of us. A lot of wisdom in an easy to read format.
Jim
A simplistic, possibly too much so, quick & easy read on living sober. It gives a lot of good advice, is broken up logically & often. Probably a good book for many to start with & it really isn't limited to alcoholics. I think anyone who has an addiction or even issues in their life could get a lot out of it.
Shannon S
i have been sober 18 months longest for 25 years. i am now a sponsor as of yesterday. i used this book through the last 18 months and am grateful for what is says about being a sponsor,
Randy
A quick, easy and simple book. This is a helpful book for those in recovery, particularly in early recovery.
Shannon
Great tips for those new to recovery. Recommended reading for anyone in a treatment facility.
Gregj
Lots of good solid advice for recovery. A must read for everyone starting down this road.
Joe
practical and tried and true methods for the toughest thing about recovery--staying stopped.
Carrie
The title of this book should have been "living with common sense"
Christian
this book this motivate you to get started in your recover... and read THE BIG BOOK
Megan
Good if you're new.

Not too useful when you have some time!
Ted Guglielmo
A book for me that I can turn to for the answer when my mind races.
Phyllis

Helped me live in my early sobriety.
Lerd Lorensen
a sobriety cookbook if you will yess yesss.
Stephen
essential reading for me...loved it...
Likethesky7
how to live sober and happy
Patti
A wonderful book.
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
  • Came to Believe
  • One Day at a Time in Al-Anon
  • My Name Is Bill: Bill Wilson--His Life and the Creation of Alcoholics Anonymous
  • Codependents' Guide to the Twelve Steps: New Stories
  • The 12-Step Buddhist: Enhance Recovery from Any Addiction
  • A New Pair of Glasses
  • Under the Influence: A Guide to the Myths and Realities of Alcoholism
  • Narcotics Anonymous
  • Drop The Rock: Removing Character Defects - Steps Six and Seven
  • Not God: A History of Alcoholics Anonymous
  • It Will Never Happen to Me!
  • The Sermon on the Mount: The Key to Success in Life
  • Addiction and Grace: Love and Spirituality in the Healing of Addictions
  • Unwasted: My Lush Sobriety
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
Holy Bible: King James Version The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights The Epic of Gilgamesh Holy Bible: New International Version Life Application Study Bible: NIV