Start by marking “Halloween Rain (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 1, #1)” as Want to Read:
Halloween Rain (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 1, #1)

Halloween Rain (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 1 #1)

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  1,558 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Around Sunnydale, they say a scarecrow saturated with Halloween rain will come alive and slaughter anyone in sight. (Lovely place, Sunnydale.) Buffy's best friends, Xander and Willow, used to think the tale was nonsense - but after a few adventures with Buffy, they're not so sure.

Even without a maniacal scarecrow, a Sunnydale Halloween is a truly horrific happening. There
Published November 1st 1997 by Archway Paperback (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Halloween Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Halloween Rain

Marina (rinareviewsbks)
Like most "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" Novels, I really liked this book. I guess it is because I am such a big fan for the telvision series and any work that is done by Joss Whedon. I found this book to be full of humor, which made it alot better than want I expected.It was diffently not a serious vampire novel but, more of a action chick flick. The Charcter were super fun. I loved Buffy because she was such a fun, but down to earth personalty even though she was a slayer by night. Another charcte ...more
TheMadHatter
Actual Rating: 2.5 Stars.

A lovely friend gave me a box of Buffy books and I grab one out every few months to read. They are typically very light reading at around 200-300 pages.

This one wasn't a particularly good book and you would really have to LOVE the tv show (which I do) to get anything at all out of it. Halloween demon, zombies, and lots of witty dialogue. In fact, there was almost too much witty dialogue in that the authors went over the top to make every line out of the character's mouth
Brit
May 14, 2016 Brit rated it it was amazing
A short and Good book. It brought up a sense of nostalgia of being a pre-teen watching this show in the late 90's. And the righting really did make me feel like I was watching the show again. Because the character voices were right on and that made it even better. And my favorite part was that it took place when they were in highschool which was when I liked the show the best. And the Halloween part made it really quirky and fun.
Whitney
Dec 11, 2015 Whitney rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, horror
I found this, along with several other Buffy novels, in the thrift shop and I just couldn't resist.

A fun read, basically fanfiction that got published. It's funny, though, that since this book takes place during the first season of Buffy, it is pre-season-two canon (which establishes that vampires, demons, and monsters all take Halloween night off).
Marlie
Oct 14, 2014 Marlie rated it really liked it
Definitely not a masterpiece, but it's a fun read.
KP
May 15, 2017 KP rated it really liked it
This weekend, my childhood collection of Buffy books was given back to me, and so I got right to work on reading them, in chronological order. I was worried that I would be disappointed, as the last time I read this book I was twelve, but it actually held up. The ending was incredibly abrupt, with basically no denouement, and some of the 90s slang didn't feel accurate for the show itself, but otherwise, it was a serviceable novel with a fun plot, and the characters were recognizable. I'm looking ...more
Patricia (Patricia's Particularity)
May 29, 2010 Patricia (Patricia's Particularity) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Buffy and Vampire Fans
Shelves: young-adult, wishlist
" 'What is it with you and the Wizard of Oz references? Zombies and werewolves and vamps, oh my. Zombies and werewolves and...' "

Welcome to the Boca del Infierno, or much more simply called the Hellmouth. Inhabitants: your normal American families, teens, children, and oh yeah.. vampires, demons, zombies, and now a Scarecrow who can kill you on Halloween when it rains. For Buffy and the Scooby Gang the Halloween season has been a bit quite, well alright, absolutely dead (no pun intended). Buffy
Christy
Oct 05, 2012 Christy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Buffy Fans, Vampire fans, Halloween l
This is the second book in the series, but the first that doesn’t tie into any episodes. Christopher Golden and Nancy Holder did a great job with it. Halloween is next month, but I didn’t want to wait to read.

For the last three weeks the Slayer has been bored. Buffy has barely has anything to kill. She did get another fake attack with another of Cordelia's friends. I didn’t blame her; the girl was in a cemetery screaming.

So Halloween night is finally here and even though its not as much fun as
Desiree M ~*~*~ LiveReadCollect
This one wasn't a fantastic read. It was all right but in comparison to other Buffy books I've read it wasn't up to par.

The story takes place in Season 1, the book references the Master and that he's still around, but it takes place on Halloween, which if you're a fan of Buffy you know that the first Halloween experienced by Buffy in Sunnydale was in Season 2.

There were some thing that bothered me while reading, the constant punning that the characters did. I loved the dialogue in the show but
Meg
Jun 15, 2013 Meg rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Some of you may know this and some of you may not but I collect the Buffy the Vampire Slayer novels. This usually involves me going to old book stores/ used book stores or Amazon, trying to find good copies of the novels. So I read a lot of Buffy the Vampire Slayer novels.

This one wasn't the worst but it certainly wasn't the best one either. I had some trouble with the villain, to start off with. While it was kind of cool and there was a urban legend vibe to it, it didn't really seem to fit wit
Brent Ecenbarger
May 08, 2016 Brent Ecenbarger rated it it was ok
Shelves: buffy
The second Buffy book published misses the mark quite often on the characterizations of the cast as well as makes some plot inaccuracies that stand out if you're a diehard fan.

The dialogue in this book resembles the film much more than the tv series. Buffy and the gang bonded instantly in the series but this book still has several instances for the gang not being sure about each other (Buffy being skeptical of Giles, Willow dropping tons of audible hints to her attraction to Xander, etc). The pr
Sati Marie Frost
The second of the Buffy novelettes (at least the ones released in the UK) features Buffy et al trying to survive Halloween. But it's not just vampires they need to watch out for - there's a horde of flesh-eating zombies on the loose, not to mention the pumpkin-headed spirit of evil, Samhain...

I enjoyed this more than the first, mostly because it brought something new to the table. Where the first novel was really just a novelised screenplay from the BTVS pilot, this was an original story that ne
Octavia Cade
Not the worst of the Buffy tie-ins I've read, but not the best either. It does have a fairly cool villain, this sort of undead pumpkin-headed king who is genuinely creepy - though I'm not sure how much of that creepiness is because I'm inescapably reminded of the wonderfully schlocky Pumpkinhead series of horror films ("Keep away from Pumpkinhead / unless you're tired of living...").

Where it falls down for me is the tone. This is a problem I've noticed in three of the four tie-in novels I've rea
Nick
Jul 20, 2013 Nick rated it liked it
I know the description says #1, but technically this is #2. Volume 1 was an adaptation of one or more of the episodes, I think. But I digress.

Halloween Rain was a fun, scary romp through fear itself. Vampires apparently take Halloween off, because there's stuff out there even scarier than they are. In this case, it's the being that is the source of many Halloween symbols, from Jack o'Lanterns to the Halloween King in a certain Disney movie.
Sunnydale has the interesting tradition that it's bad i
Cameron
Jan 04, 2015 Cameron rated it it was ok
Shelves: popcultcha
Fairly amusing but nothing special.. I disliked the zombie = brain eaters emphasis in this novella when it is made clear in the show many times that that is not necessarily true.

The author's overuse of the word 'wiggins' was particularly aggravating.. it's like as though it is a word that Buffy used more than once in the first season so it's a fallback 'see, guys it's the same character' attempt when the writing falls a little flat or the dialogue is particularly off from the show.

All in all I r
Dharia Scarab
Jan 24, 2016 Dharia Scarab rated it really liked it
A novelization of the episode.

3 stars... This book was ok, but I won't go out of my way to read more, But if I find another book by the author for under
Cellerbe
Aug 04, 2013 Cellerbe rated it liked it
Shelves: read-books, tv, vampires
This is the first book I have read that follows a tv series. I am not one to read fan fiction, this does seem like a more professional version of fan fiction. With that said, I did enjoy this book. Due to reference in the show, it sounds like the book takes place around the half way mark of the first season if the Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

The writing for me had some spelling and grammatical errors that were noticeable but not distracting from the story. The characters felt like the characters f
Dark-Draco
Apr 11, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it really liked it
Shelves: buffy, tv-tie-in
This is another TV tie-in, set around the first season of Buffy. It's Halloween and Buffy is finding the whole Slayer thing a bit dull. But when Xander and Willow mention a local tradition of a murderous scarecrow that comes to life once soaked in Halloween rain, it isn't long before she's battling zombies and squishing killer pumpkins.

I don't think this is the best Buffy book I have read. The whole showdown with the Scarecrow happens in the last two chapters, almost as if it is an afterthought.
Teresa
Oct 05, 2008 Teresa rated it it was amazing
As I said there are some books I come back to at this time of the year (fall/October) and this one is a guilty pleasure. One of the first Buffy novels, it is not weighed down with a lot of the character developments and backstorys that later ones are. It is Buffy pure and simple - the girl you wish you could have been in high school (or even now) because she has the fashion sense and the snappy comebacks and the true friends. Here she deals with the high school IN-crowd, zombies, vamps and the k ...more
Crystie
Sep 09, 2009 Crystie rated it did not like it
I never really expect all that much from Buffy books. I just loved the show and like to revisit the characters from time to time and books give me a chance to do that.

But this book was really, really bad. It was just awful. The plot was very weak and the characters were not at all true to the characters from the show. I know this book came out during the first season but even in the first season I just would not have thought of Buffy as a wimp. She’s totally wimpy in this book.

Now I have to re
Alex
Sep 02, 2013 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Not horrific, but not great. It was kind of odd that Angel was not mentioned at all. Also, Cordelia's role was minimal which was sad. Also I know the novels aren't canon but it kinda bugs me that they wrote something completely non-canonical. Buffy only arrived in Sunnydale early 1997, and then Halloween '97 was obviously Season 2, which was after the Master had been defeated. So time-wise it irritated me. And it also irritated me that in the book, Halloween is a hive of activity for supernatura ...more
Scott
Apr 17, 2012 Scott rated it it was amazing
Here endeth April Dreckfest 2012. I've needed a break from some heady reading, so I turned to Buffy and Dr. Who novels. I'm making Halloween Rain my last so I can go out on a good note.

I'm surprised at how good this was, especially as the first original spin-off novel the series ever had. The authors captured the tone, the characterizations, and the overall spirit of early, Season-One-hair Buffy and friends. Concise and clever with a villain out of a straight-to-video sequel to a low-grossing H
Liesje Leest
Feb 29, 2016 Liesje Leest rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: creepy, 2016
De serie > dit boek.
Halloween is gericht op een jong publiek en leest een beetje als een Kippenvel boek, maar dan minder goed. Af en toe stonden er zinnen in het boek die op tv/als gesproken dialoog best goed zou klinken, maar op papier echt niet werken. De vertaling helpt ook niet mee, The Slayer klink nu eenmaal een stuk indrukwekkender dan De Doder....
Ondanks de voorspelbaarheid was het wel spannend en vermakelijk. Ander voordeel: je kan het in een avond uitlezen, dus goed voor je GoodRe
Sarah Sammis
Dec 16, 2007 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: released, pc, read-in-2003
October 05, 2003

I enjoyed this book more because it's a completely new story. It takes place where the first season Halloween episode would have been if one had been made. It's interesting to see what the authors do to play within the limitations of first season while making sure to not spoil the character's lack of knowledge about other aspects of Halloween that become important plot points for the season 2 episode. :)
Slayermel
Mar 24, 2008 Slayermel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any Buffy Fan
This was a great story by Christopher Golden & Nancy Holder. I have to say I think they are two of my favourite Buffy writers. :0)

It's to bad "Halloween Rain" was not made into an episode during the first season, it would have been terrifying.
It's Halloween and the Vampires seem to be laying low, which is a good thing because Buffy seems to have her hands full with Zombies, and the Evil Pumpkin King Samhain, who is bound and determined to kill the Slayer.
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it liked it
This is another original novel based on the Buffy series. The basic plot revolves around ancient Druidism, an evil scarecrow-demon and a lot of fighting

This is one novel that is not memorable, fortunately, because it's not that very good. It's kind of a cross between Ichabod Crane and some kind of anti-Wiccan rally. The whole thing ends up being sort of silly. Not really worth reading unless you are a completist.
Craig
Aug 23, 2015 Craig rated it liked it
Season One! Wow, that was a long time ago... The Master was the biggest of the bads, Angel wasn't even a real player yet, and we had no idea if this kinda cool Buffy thing was going to last or not. This story is fun, though not nearly as polished as later volumes... just like the show, come to think of it.
Amanda
May 20, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it
One has to take into consideration that these books are novelizations based on a cheesy TV series, but if you can be okay with that, they're actually a lot of fun to read. Some of the dialogue is a little too overly corny, even considering the subject matter, but the story in this one was a lot of fun, and it's a quick read. For fans of the show, these books are definitely worth reading.
 Marla
I love the Buffy series so much and sometimes I just want a taste of it. The Halloween episodes are always my favorites.

I didn't like the clever dialogue at the beginning of the book, it sounded like they were trying too hard, but by the end, I enjoyed it. The fight scenes at the end were Buffy at her best.
Rofi
Nov 02, 2015 Rofi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kangen Buffy..... Dulu pas nonton sering takut sendiri karena masih kecil, hihi. Pas ketemu bukunya; apalagi judulnya bikin penasaran, akhirnya baca deh.
Yah... gak ada yang spesial dari buku ini, hanya bikin rasa kangen sedikit terobati. Ceritanya biasa saja tapi seru dibaca karena masih suasana halloween.
Oke segitu saja.
  • Night of the Living Rerun (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 1, #2)
  • The Harvest (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Novelizations, #2)
  • Coyote Moon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 1, #3)
  • Visitors (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #18)
  • Unnatural Selection (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #19)
  • How I Survived My Summer Vacation (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 1, #4)
  • Return to Chaos (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #17)
  • Here Be Monsters (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #22)
  • The Xander Years, Vol. 1 (The Xander Years, #1)
  • Prime Evil (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #10)
  • Paleo (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #5)
  • Power of Persuasion (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #12)
  • The Xander Years, Vol. 2 (The Xander Years, #2)
  • Resurrecting Ravana (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #13)
  • The Faith Trials (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Novelizations, #10)
Christopher Golden is the award-winning, bestselling author of such novels as The Myth Hunters, Wildwood Road, The Boys Are Back in Town, The Ferryman, Strangewood, Of Saints and Shadows, and (with Tim Lebbon) Mind the Gap. Golden co-wrote the lavishly illustrated novel Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire with Mike Mignola, which they are currently scripting as a feature film ...more
More about Christopher Golden...

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 1 (4 books)
  • Night of the Living Rerun (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 1, #2)
  • Coyote Moon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 1, #3)
  • How I Survived My Summer Vacation (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 1, #4)

“What is it with you and the Wizard of Oz references? Zombies and werewolves and vamps, oh my. Zombies and werewolves and...” 14 likes
“...she yanked open her shoulder bag and pulled out a stake. Boy Scouts and vampire slayers should always be prepared.” 6 likes