Start by marking “The Sword in the Grotto (Araminta Spookie, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Sword in the Grotto (Araminta Spookie, #2)

The Sword in the Grotto (Araminta Spook #2)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  767 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Sir Horace is about to turn five hundred years old! Araminta and Wanda need to find him the perfect gift. Araminta finds an ancient sword in a grotto hidden under her haunted house and it should be a cinch to get it. But she wasn't planning on the nasty surprise of a portcullis-trap and a rising tide in the grotto. Will Araminta and Wanda make it to Sir Horace's birthday p ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Sword in the Grotto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sword in the Grotto

Dion Yulianto
Melanjutkan seri pertama, Araminta kembali beraksi dalam seri kedua Pedang Dalam Gua. Kali ini, Araminta tidak bertualang sendirian. Dia sudah punya teman bernama Wanda Wizzard, yang bersama ayah dan ibunya, mereka juga ikut tinggal di Spookie House. Tidak seperti orang dewasa yang menuntut privasi, bagi anak-anak semakin banyak orang maka akan semakin asyik, dan ini disadari betul oleh Angie Sage yang langsung menambahkan 5 penghuni baru ke rumah seram tapi menyenangkan itu. Sekarang Spookie Ho ...more
Kathryn
The second book in the Araminta Spookie book picks up where the last one left off. Araminta becomes better friends with a former enemy, and together they try to bring a sword found in a grotto home to Sir Horace for his birthday. When they are trapped in the grotto by the rising sea, it seems all hope will be lost...!

I probably would not have continued the series after finding the first book only so-so, but Books 1 and 2 come together on a (very short) audiobook and as I had nothing else to list
Dolly
Oct 25, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is the second book in the Araminta Spookie series by Angie Sage. I discovered this book at our local library and thought it might be a fun, spooky read for our oldest. She loved it and has read through the entire series very quickly. Now I'm just trying to catch up.

This story centers on plans for a birthday party for Sir Horace and an adventure into some caves and spooky tunnels. The story is entertaining and a little scary. It's an easy read and I really enjoyed reading it. I'm looking fo
cindy
buku #2 seri araminta spook. masih tetep ketemu kekepoan araminta, dan sekarang double trouble, karena araminta punya teman serumah yg sama sotoy-nya, wanda wizzard.

di cerita ini, mereka berdua ingin mencari kado ultah buat sir horace -si hantu berbaju besi- yg ke-500. hadiahnya sih udah tahu apa, tapi untuk mengambilnya ternyata menyeret minty dan wanda ke petualangan berbahaya yg hampir membuat keduanya mengalami nasib sama dng sir horace.

suka cerita petualangannya, suka settingnya yg lbh lua
Robert
Araminta Spook's second story (as told to Angie Sage) is a Perilous Adventure that she and her new friend Wanda get themselves into when they need to find the perfect gift for a 500th Birthday Present....
Araminta's attitude is all present and correct (or self-centred) but doesn't get the free play it did in her first book, where the order of the day was Mayhem and Ghost-hunting, rather than Danger and Gift-hunting.
The Sword in the Grotto is perhaps not quite as good as its predecessor but is sti
Beth A.
This book is the second in this early-chapter-books series we just discovered by Angie Sage.

We really enjoyed listening to this one on our recent road trip. It really kept my kid's attention. The characters were fun, with distinct personalities, and the story was interesting and funny. The kidlets have a new-found love for bats.
Keeley (ABibliophilesJourney)
The Sword in the Grotto This was book two in the Araminta Spookie series and continued the story of Araminta and her new housemate, Wanda Wizzard. Wanda and Araminta are exploring the hidden tunnels in Spookie House when they stumble upon a small grotto containing a super old sword. Since Sir Horace is about to turn 500, Araminta and Wanda decide that the sword would be the perfect gift for him! The only problem is that Araminta and Wanda somehow are locked inside the grotto and the tide is risi ...more
Susanti Priyandari
Araminta Spookie sekarang tinggal berdelapan di rumah berhantu. Araminta dan Bibi Tabitha dan Paman Drac, Keluarga Peyihir Wanda, bersama orangtuanya: Barry dan Brenda, dan dua hantu yang tinggal di sana (Sir Horace dan Edmund).

Di awal buku ini dikisahkan bahwa Sir Horace sering ngambek entah apa sebabnya lalu bersembunyi entah di mana. Araminta yang penasaran, bersama Wanda yang penakut, mencari tahu mengapa dan di mana Sir Horace bersembunyi.

Kalau di buku satu, Araminta Spookie bertualang me
Ladiibbug
#2 Araminta Spooky series - Children's Book

Araminta makes a new friend, Wanda, when Wanda's family moves in with Aunt Tabby, Uncle Drac and Araminta.

Sir Horace the friendly ghost, who lives in a falling-apart suit of armor, is about to turn 500 years old. The girls hatch a plan to find him the perfect gift, which turns out to include a big adventure, hidden passages and mysteries.

Entertaining and good fun!
*Queen Diva*
Well, another fun and fantastic story about our girl, Araminta. Once again, I loved the tone of the story. I really enjoy Araminta as the storyteller and love her tone of voice she tells the story in. Besides that, my kids at school really liked the book and had some wonderful discussions about the story and had some great questions about characters and events presented in the story. So, three cheers for Angie Sage for writing a story that has a fun voice to it (and isn't written in a blah blah ...more
James
much like the first book in the series, i felt like "the sword in the grotto" was aiming for a feeling/vibe that it just didn't accomplish.

for a book series called "araminta spookie," there isn't much that's spooky about it beyond a couple of characters who are ghosts and the occasional mention of bats and spiders.

this second book didn't improve on anything from the first one, and my biggest complaint is that it felt very episodic instead of telling a story on its own. to further the analogy, it
Reetta Saine
Englanninkielinen lastenkirjallisuus on harmittavassa paitsiossa lukulistoillani, koska sitä ei voi vinkata sinällään. Kerettiläinen kommenttini jatkuu, että kustantajatkaan eivät ole siinä kovin asiantuntevia. Kummallista tauhkaa ja tusinatavaraa tuntuu pukkaavan puolivuosittain, mutta miksi jo hyvällä Septimus Heap-fantasiasarjalla Suomessa meritoitunut Sage ei ole päässyt käännöslistalle tällä hyvällä lastensarjalla?

Araminta Spookien elämän henkilöihin ei ole helppo päästä kiinni keskeltä sa
Andrea
I read this book (#2 in a series) hoping that I would warm up to it more because I started to enjoy the character in book #1 right at the end. But it was not to be. It was another book with weak story line that bored me.

I do think I know some kids who would enjoy the series. I have decided that it is well suited for fairly young readers (7-8 yrs)who are reading at higher levels. Sometimes it is hard to find appropriate books for that group. But I wouldn't be surprised to see other children latc
mandyfujita
Araminta Spookie is a very thoughtful person. She and Wanda want to cheer up their friend Sir Horace with a surprise 500 years birthday party. They are looking for a present and stumble upon a sword that they think will make a great birthday present. The problem is that they can't seem to get to it because it is on the other side of the wall of rocks. They have to look for the secret passage in order to retrieve it.

The same wonderful characters in book #1 is also included in this book 2 in th
Brooks Jones
Delightful follow-up to the first in the series, complete with ghosts, bats, underground passages and cheese and onion chips! My daughters and I are really enjoying getting to know the characters in these books, and there is just enough suspense to be interesting without being too scary. Recommended for ages 8-10, and would probably appeal to boys as well as girls.
Mindy
Summary:
Sir Horace is about to turn five hundred years old! Araminta and Wanda need to find him the perfect gift. Araminta finds an ancient sword in a grotto hidden under her haunted house—and it should be a cinch to get it. But she wasn't planning on the nasty surprise of a portcullis-trap and a rising tide in the grotto. Will Araminta and Wanda make it to Sir Horace's birthday party?

Review:
This one was fun to read too - I liked it a little better than the first one.
Jj
For me, this book is the best book out of the series. And I know I havent read book 3. But this book was very touching. The chapter that was dedicated to Edmund, that was the best. It decribed how him and Sr. Horace became a ghost. I would love to known more about there lives before he became ghost. This story was adventerous and spellbounding. Mrs. Sage writing is awesome. She makes you feel like your right there, as its taking place.
Phoebe
It's Sir Horace's 500th birthday, and Araminta and her often-annoying sidekick, Wanda Wizzard, hatch a plan for a wonderful present. The trouble is, they have to get it, and in so doing, have a terrifying adventure. British, comical, slightly macabre, and perfect fantasy chapter books for a good third grade reader, this is a charming series by the author of the Septimus Heap books.
ijul (yuliyono)
Ilustrasinya tetep juara! Mantap bangeth, deh.

Cerita sih khas anak-anak, sebuah petualangan yang mudah terselesaikan dan semua berbahagia di akhirnya...:)

Tapi, persahabatan di antara Araminta dan Wanda serta kekeluargaan di antara keluarga mereka serta dua hantu baik hati yang tinggal di rumah mereka, Edmund dan Sir Horace, memberikan warna yang menyenangkan.

Nice story...
Shana
In the book Sword in the Grotto, I think it's sort of scary. Iit make you want to continue reading because you can know what will happen next. When you finish the chapter makes you want to continue reading because you neeed to continue reading so you know what will do next, even it's a good place to stop. And I think it's sort of creepy so it makes you want to read. ...more
Jill
Araminta Spookie is back in her 2nd book. Araminta and her supposed best friend Wanda want to throw a b-day party for their 500 year old ghost. To get him the best present, ever they end up in a little bit of trouble.

I didn't think this follow up was as good as the first and I really disliked Wanda--I thought she was terriby whiney and mean.
Little Miss and the Legomeister

Sheila
Wanda and Araminta are in trouble again. I love this series and how these 2 girls get into so much trouble. Good thing Edmund is there to help them. Do you think Wanda is sweet on Edmund?
The illustrations are wonderful and really help bring the story to life.
Heather
I enjoyed it more the second time I read it, because my 2-year-old nephew was listening in as I read it to his sibs. He loved Edmund and wanted us to turn back to the picture of Edmund so he could say, "Ahhh! The ghost!" It was very funny.
Ariana Lane
Plot was less than stellar compared to the first in the series. Still a fun easy read though. The 6.5 year old didn't want to put it down until it was done. Or, rather, she wanted me to read it continuously until it was done.
Emily
Jun 30, 2008 Emily rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Emily by: 5th and 6th graders or people who want a myster or an easy read
This is probably the best one in the series, it is really suspenseful and interesting. I would definitely recommended it, mostly to people who are a little younger (5th 6th grade) or want an easy read.
Molly
Aremita is trying to find a gift to cheer up her favorite coat of arms and finds one she wants. But it could be dangerous to get. It seems she has friends who can keep her safe on the way. Grades 1-3
  • The Icy Hand (Something Wickedly Weird, #2)
  • Pure Dead Wicked (Pure Dead, #2)
  • Escape from Castle Cant
  • Stuart's Cape
  • Rare Beasts (Edgar & Ellen, #1)
  • Venom of the Serpent's Cunning (Andy Smithson, #2)
  • The Yggyssey: How Iggy Wondered What Happened to All the Ghosts, Found Out Where TheyWent, and Went There
  • No Such Thing as Ghosts (Dragonbreath, #5)
  • Herbert's Wormhole
  • The Dragon of Doom
  • Snake and Lizard
  • Ghostly Guardian (The Demon Isle Witches, #1)
  • The Robe of Skulls (Tales from the Five Kingdoms, #1)
  • The Way of the Wilderking (The Wilderking Trilogy #3)
  • Soul Stealer (The Alchemist's Son #2)
  • AlphaOops: H Is for Halloween
  • The Lost Treasure of Tuckernuck
  • The Beasts of Clawstone Castle
Angie Sage (born 1952) is the author of the Septimus Heap series which includes Magyk, Flyte, Physik, Queste, Syren, Darke and Fyre, the final book which is scheduled to come out later in 2013. Also, she wrote The Magykal Papers, an additional book with extra information about Septimus' world. She is also the illustrator and/or writer of many children's books, and is the new writer of the Araminta ...more
More about Angie Sage...

Araminta Spook (6 books)
  • My Haunted House (Araminta Spookie, #1)
  • Frognapped (Araminta Spookie, #3)
  • Vampire Brat (Araminta Spookie, #4)
  • Ghostsitters (Araminta Spookie, #5)
  • Gargoyle Hall (Araminta Spook, #6)
Magyk (Septimus Heap, #1) Flyte (Septimus Heap, #2) Physik (Septimus Heap, #3) Queste (Septimus Heap, #4) Syren (Septimus Heap, #5)