Start by marking “Death of a Dancer (Lloyd and Hill Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
Death of a Dancer (Lloyd and Hill Mystery #3)

Death of a Dancer (Lloyd & Hill #3)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  191 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The deputy headmaster's wife has been murdered. At the rundown private boarding school, Detective Chief Inspector Lloyd and Sergeant Judy Hill find a multitude of motives - and a school full of suspects. But no murder weapon is found because that went missing two months before the crime occurred.
Published February 7th 1992 by Not Avail (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Death of a Dancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death of a Dancer

Dee
Oct 14, 2011 Dee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kate
May 12, 2015 Kate rated it it was ok
This got two stars because the plot was interesting. I found the two main characters uninteresting. Their personal lives were of no interest to me and to be honest once they started arguing with each other I skipped over those conversations as they added nothing to the book. The idea that his name is so horrible no one knows what it is just
smacks of imitation al la Morse and Columbo.
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
I enjoy this series; have read several, not necessarily in order. Lloyd and Hill are good characters, often complementing each other. The plot is involved, but not confusing. It is an English police procedural that was published in 1989 but doesn't really seem dated, depending on human investigation and deduction rather than technical devices. Glad I have more of these to read.
Mary Ronan Drew
This third Lloyd and Hill mystery, Gone to Her Death , is about the murder of the wife of the assistant headmaster at a third-rate (and bucking for fourth) public school. Any of the staff might be the murderer and while Hill investigates a string of petty thefts, Lloyd turns the spotlight on one person after another in a vain attempt to figure out what has been going on. Until finally light dawns and the most unlikely of murderers is identified. This book is the third in the series and is calle ...more
KDawn
Dec 20, 2014 KDawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Several things about this book I liked: characters were fun, main character correcting everyone's grammar (always appreciated), and a mystery that I didn't figure out until the end! However, I had some issues with the POV switching mid-paragraph between characters. It took quite a bit of getting used to...and I'm not sure I actually ever did get used to it.
Gary Van Cott
Reasonably good. Along the same lines as the previous book with some advancement of the relationship between the two main characters.
Cindy
Nov 15, 2015 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jill-mcgown
I am enjoying this series and the author has a wonderful way of drawing you in to the characters and their obsessions. well done.
Mary
Dec 10, 2011 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys contemporary mysteries
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
Chief Inspector Lloyd and Sergeant Judy Hill come together to solve the rape and murder of the deputy head master's wife at a second-rate English public school during a ball. What happens when there is a long list of suspects and the murder weapon from years ago turns up missing? I have to say that I have trouble following police procedurals sometimes; although it was well-written and I did like it.

This is the third book of Scottish author Jill McGown's Lloyd and Hill Series. Also known as Death
Jill Hutchinson
Not my favorite of this series but still a good read. Taking place in a boarding school, Lloyd and Hill are investigating the murder of a teacher's rather free-wheeling wife. Almost everyone is a suspect and the character development is well done. Toward the conclusion, the story gets a little cluttered with "where were you" and "what were you wearing" clues........but the final solution is satisfactory. And the private life of Lloyd and Hill moves forward romantically without getting in the way ...more
Kirsty Darbyshire
Dec 07, 2010 Kirsty Darbyshire rated it liked it
Shelves: paperback

This story centres around a death at the St. Valentines Day Ball at a small failing boys school populated with the kind of oddball staff who make mystery novels fun. The book is full of interesting relationships from those among the staff to that between Judy Hill, her boss Lloyd and her husband Michael which portrays the way that people manipulate one another especially well.

An interesting series, I'm glad I have plenty more to read.

Jim
Mar 27, 2013 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a neat little English mystery. I enjoyed it except for the last couple of pages where the author got up on her soapbox about what animals men are and no woman is ever safe. The story is definitely written from a feminist point of view; The male characters are all shown in a very poor light and the women in a very positive one. But the story itself hangs together pretty well.
Nikki
Feb 12, 2009 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lloyd and Hill are a police couple with both similarities and differences to Deborah Crombie's Kincaid and James. They are not based in London, for one thing. This fine series sadly came to an end with McGown's death a few years ago. In this book, Lloyd and Hill investigate the rape and murder of a teacher's wife.
Karen
Jun 05, 2013 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Could have done without the romance novel type descriptions of one character's fantasy world. Otherwise a good English whodunnit with memorable characters and good plotting.
Maddy
Jun 05, 2010 Maddy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2006-reads
RATING: 2.75
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Bob Davies
Bob Davies rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
Micki Levin
Micki Levin marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
CSM
CSM rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2016
Jean Hammond
Jean Hammond rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Merope
Merope marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
DA
DA added it
Mar 26, 2016
Paul Harding
Paul Harding rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2016
Moira Raistrick
Moira Raistrick rated it it was ok
Mar 25, 2016
James Mcquillan
James Mcquillan rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Jennifer Deaton
Jennifer Deaton rated it it was amazing
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Barb Shawcross
Barb Shawcross marked it as to-read
Mern
Mern rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Karen
Karen added it
Mar 01, 2016
  • Some Die Eloquent (Inspector Sloan #8)
  • Dancehall
  • Charlotte
  • Blood in the Water (Alice Rice, #1).
  • Random Hearts
  • Nell
  • An Experiment In Treason (Sir John Fielding, #9)
  • Beneath a Silent Moon
  • Ruin Creek
  • A New Lease of Death (Inspector Wexford, #2)
  • Spider Dance (Irene Adler, #8)
  • The Gap in the Curtain (Sir Edward Leithen #4)
  • Water Like a Stone (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #11)
  • The Tamarind Seed
  • The Benson Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #1)
  • Falling Angels
Jill McGown (9 August 1947, Campbeltown, Scotland – 6 April 2007 in Kettering, Northamptonshire) was a British writer of mystery novels. She was best known for her mystery series featuring Inspector Lloyd and Judy Hill, one of which (A Shred of Evidence) was made into a television series. McGown wrote her first mystery novel after being laid off from the British Steel Corporation in 1980. She is s ...more
More about Jill McGown...

Lloyd & Hill (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • A Perfect Match (Lloyd & Hill, #1)
  • Murder at the Old Vicarage (Lloyd & Hill, #2)
  • The Murders of Mrs. Austin and Mrs. Beale (Lloyd & Hill, #4)
  • The Other Woman (Lloyd & Hill, #5)
  • Murder... Now and Then (Lloyd & Hill, #6)
  • A Shred of Evidence (Lloyd & Hill, #7)
  • Verdict Unsafe (Lloyd & Hill, #8)
  • Plots and Errors (Lloyd & Hill, #10)
  • Scene of Crime (Lloyd & Hill, #11)