Start by marking “Flying Ace: Jack Fairfax, Royal Flying Corps, 1915-1918” as Want to Read:
Flying Ace: Jack Fairfax, Royal Flying Corps, 1915-1918

Flying Ace: Jack Fairfax, Royal Flying Corps, 1915-1918 (My Story: Boys)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Jack Fairfax is the 19-year old second son of Lord and Lady Fairfax. The Fairfaxes are steeped in the military tradition, and don't approve of Jack's volunteering for the Royal Flying Corps. New-fangled flying machines are nothing to do with 'proper' warfare. Nevertheless, Jack takes to the skies in his Bleriot plane, and faces the skills of the German ace pilots over the ...more
Published November 14th 2003 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Flying Ace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flying Ace

Gwen Stacy
Apr 15, 2013 Gwen Stacy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Avid History Fans, Historical Fiction Readers
Recommended to Gwen Stacy by: Librarian
Shelves: 2013, history, young-adult
Flying Ace was a good read. I love historical fiction, so it might be a little biased. Flying Ace is about rule-breaker Jack Fairfax. Jack is one of those people who have that perfect siblings, which in this case, happens to be Oswald, his brother. Oswald joins the "family tradition" regiment while Jack is in school. Skip a few years and you'll find Jack is leaving school and joining up with best buddy, Alan Dixon. Skip another few chapters and you'll find the action. Here's the part that I foun ...more
Molly
This entire series is a wonderful way to learn history or teach it to adolescents. I find today's generations seem to recall more when they learn through other people (pop songs, celebrity gossip, etc.), so what better way to teach history than through someone else's perspective? Yes, "authentic" diaries would be "better", but would the language really hold the modern student's attention? Did the diary writer know what WOULD be important in the context of history? Probably not.
Meghan
Reading this book made me think of Snoopy as the World War One Flying Ace fighting against the Red Baron. The only reason I gave it four stars is that I would have preferred if the main character came from a simpler background.
Renaissance
Was a short and simple read. Loved reading about planes in world war one.
Lucas J
I thought the book was boring and disapointing.
Blair
Thrilling.
Jake22
amazing
Noelle
Noelle marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Jeremy L
Jeremy L marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Sarai Lillie
Sarai Lillie marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Hanna
Hanna marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Jennie
Jennie marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Nadine
Nadine marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Bethanyceinwen
Bethanyceinwen marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Em
Em marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Tamra
Tamra marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Rhianna Neel
Rhianna Neel marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Nicki
Nicki marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jim Eldridge is the author of many books for children, including titles in the My Story series, the Warpath books, and How to Handle Grown-Ups. He has had 250 TV scripts broadcast in the UK and internationally for children's and teen television, and is also the creator and writer of Radio 4's long-running comedy-drama series, King Street Junior.
More about Jim Eldridge...
The Trenches: Billy Stevens, The Western Front, 1914-1918 Spy Smuggler: Paul Lelaud, France, 1942-1944 Jungle Kill Desert Danger: Tim Jackson, North Africa WWII Roman Invasion: A British Boy, AD 84