Start by marking “Liars for Jesus: The Religious Right's Alternate Version of American History Vol. 1” as Want to Read:

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  169 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Liars for Jesus debunks many of the historical lies invented and used by the Christian nationalist history revisionists in their efforts to further their far right political agenda and destroy the wall of separation between church and state in America. Liars for Jesus is not a book about religion. It is a history book, presenting and fully documenting the true stories and ...more
Paperback
Published August 10th 2006 by Booksurge Publishing

Ogreart Art
Jul 14, 2016 Ogreart Art rated it it was amazing
Although I hate the title of this book, I love the content. There has been a concerted effort recently to rewrite American history. Many "historians" from the religious right have been expending a lot of time and energy trying to falsely "prove" that the Founding Fathers were overwhelmingly devout Christians who planned for this to be a Christian nation. To do so they use selected quotes (out of context), misquotes, and outright lies to make this seem true.

Rocca in her book explodes these lies.
Jim
Jul 25, 2011 Jim added it
Rodda shows conclusively that pseudo-historians like David Barton, D. James Kennedy, William Federer, Tim LaHaye, Mark Beliles, and John Eidsmoe have intentionally distorted facts about early American history to try to make a case against the separation of church and state, often relying on secondary sources from the early 19th century that engaged in similar distortions. Unlike those authors, Rodda goes back to the original documents, quotes them at length and in context, and even provides imag ...more
David
Oct 21, 2013 David rated it it was amazing
PLEASE read this book and learn something about our government and history. This is an excellent book that eviscerates with meticulous attention to detail (author may have OCD) the claims that the founders aimed to establish the United States as a Christian nation. If you want the ability to understand the batshit crazy comments you hear coming from the religious right. This is the antidote you want. Great book, that I am comforted by the knowing it merely exists.

Marfita
Jun 24, 2011 Marfita rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who value truth over fantasy
Recommended to Marfita by: a twit or a plurker - don't recall. many thanks!
Shelves: religion-atheism
I read the Kindle edition, which had some glitches (I've seen worse, though) where sentences ended in mid-air or sentence fragments drifted.
Rodda does a terrific job laying what the religious right says about US history and the Founding Fathers up against primary source documents. Even if people are a bit put off by the title, I really don't see how they can argue with the accuracy of it. These lobbyists for the christianization of the US are prooftexting in historical material the same way peo
Bill
Oct 21, 2011 Bill rated it really liked it
Chris Rodda did double duty: she read all the Jesus freak historical revisionists, then went and dug out primary source material to reveal their BS and, in many cases, outright lies for what they are. A bit tedious, which I can forgive because you need to be a bit tedious refuting popular pseudo-history. A very nice reference work on the included topics.
Jason S
Feb 01, 2016 Jason S rated it liked it
Meticulously researched, this book is incredibly specific in the "lies" it is trying to debunk. Mostly attacking home school textbooks in a very polemical way, it is an interesting book to glance at and would be very useful if you ever had to debunk any of these myths, which in a regular classroom would probably be very rare. Thankfully.
Linda F Meyer Abbott
Review

A solid resource for deep analysis, but needs short bullet points for quick overview. Overall, a good beginning that focuses on how the Christian Right truly distorts truth.
Donald
Jul 22, 2012 Donald rated it it was ok
OK, trust me, I was sympathetic to the content of this book, and wanted to like it. However, the writer -- having done quite a bit of homework -- is in need of an editor. Quite often, in order perhaps to prove his thoroughness beyond any doubt in comparison to those he is trying to discredit, the author follows each useless branch of a story and recounts redundant versions of documentation.
In the end, this is a painful read.
Brent
Jul 23, 2011 Brent rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, politics
While the information is occasionally dry, Chris Rodda does a good job of providing the factual antidote, derived from primary sources, to the Religious Right's attempt to "Christianize" American history. She directly cites claims by several home-school history text writers, and lays bare the historical revisionism that makes these books untrustworthy.
Dirk
Sep 07, 2012 Dirk rated it really liked it
A serious amount of research went into the production of this book. The author was obviously passionate about this topic and effectively refutes many of the claims of the religious right and their myths.A tough read at times but worth the effort for anyone interested in the topic.
Jerry
Jun 07, 2015 Jerry rated it it was amazing
This is very well researched book on how the Extreme Right seeks to rewrite the history of the Republic by trying to prove that religious values were the driving force in shaping our past, and how they are trying to force the views of a small minority on the rest of us.
Marsha
Jan 05, 2013 Marsha rated it liked it
Rodda does decent research and proves her points well. I am troubled that I can find no information on her academic background, and the fact the book is self-published. Glad to see someone tackle Barton and other revisionists who distort history.
Ben Tousey
May 29, 2013 Ben Tousey rated it really liked it
What I like about this book is how she points out the lies, and provides historical documentation. What I would like to see added to the book is more. There are so many lies left unchallenged, and I'd like to see her pick those up too.
Count Jared
Sep 07, 2012 Count Jared rated it liked it
Was surprised to see so many misquotes and outright bungling by SCOTUS in opinions from a few decades. Less surprised to see the particular justices involved.

Can't wait to see vol. II.
Michael
Dec 09, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing
Reveals how christians are re-writing history and quote-mining to push their agenda
Helene
Jul 19, 2010 Helene rated it it was amazing
The author accomplished her mission! 5 Stars.
Mindy Kuplinski
Mindy Kuplinski is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2016
Conner Anderson
Conner Anderson marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Beth Baker
Beth Baker rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2016
Aj Foreit
Aj Foreit marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Clif
Clif marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Ernest Sedupa
Ernest Sedupa rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2016
Jessica Moody
Jessica Moody rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Jay
Jay rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Adrienne Davis
Adrienne Davis rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
Daniel Jalbuena
Daniel Jalbuena marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Kristine
Kristine marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Rae M.
Rae M. added it
Jun 05, 2016
  • Attack of the Theocrats!: How the Religious Right Harms Us All — and What We Can Do About It
  • Kingdom Coming: The Rise of Christian Nationalism
  • Nailed: Ten Christian Myths That Show Jesus Never Existed at All
  • Not the Impossible Faith
  • The Godless Constitution: A Moral Defense of the Secular State
  • The Atheist's Introduction to the New Testament: How the Bible Undermines the Basic Teachings of Christianity
  • The Religion Virus: Why We Believe in God: An Evolutionist Explains Religion's Incredible Hold on Humanity
  • 50 Voices of Disbelief: Why We Are Atheists
  • Creationism's Trojan Horse: The Wedge of Intelligent Design
  • The Great Medieval Heretics: Five Centuries of Religious Dissent
  • Everything You Know About God is Wrong: The Disinformation Guide to Religion
  • American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War on America

“As Daniel Patrick Moynihan said, "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.” 1 likes