Start by marking “Het rendiervolk” as Want to Read:
Het rendiervolk

Het rendiervolk (Reindeer People #1)

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  927 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Over de uitgestrekte vlakten van de toendra zwerft een mooie jonge vrouw, die magische krachten bezit. Tillu verstaat de kunst mensen te genezen en gebruikt haar talent uitsluitend om er anderen mee te helpen. Sinds haar man haar heeft verlaten leidt zij een opgejaagd en reizend bestaan, samen met haar dromerige, mysterieuze zoontje Kerlew. Moeder en zoon zijn altijd onder ...more
Published 2000 by Meulenhoff-M (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Het rendiervolk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Het rendiervolk

Kiwi
Good story but more chick lit than historical fiction, the characters are more modern than you would expect in a pre-historical setting. I prefer the author when she writes Fantasy genre novels under the pseudonym Robin Hobb.
Damian Dubois
Nov 17, 2013 Damian Dubois rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Whether she is penning epic fantasies under the name of Robin Hobb or telling contemporary fantasies set in the harsh wilderness of prehistoric North America under the pseudonym of Megan Lindholm, Margaret Astrid Lindholm Ogden is undoubtedly one of the best novelists that I have had the pleasure of reading. Not once have I felt let down by one of her novels (11 and counting now) as each is populated by such well sketched characters that you can’t but help being drawn into their everyday trial a ...more
Miquela
Feb 29, 2016 Miquela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read and liked Lindholm's Wizard of the Pigeons, but UF not being my thing, I didn't *love* it, not enough to buy something else written by her. It took me years to try again, and I'm glad I finally did. I enjoyed Reindeer People so much that the first thing I did after finishing it was to order Wolf's Brother.

I have been giving fantasy a go of late in favor of other genres, and this book was a nice way to ease back into my comfort zone, it not being full of typical fantasy tropes and settings
Rob
Mar 12, 2014 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
...I remember liking these books a lot when I first read them in Dutch and reading the English original hasn't changed my opinion that much. What I don't remember noticing is the abrupt ending of this novel. I might very well have read them back to back the first time around. When Lindholm wrote these books she already had a few books under her belt and they are much more confident than the first Ki and Vandien stories. Apart from the slightly awkward split, these two novels are among the better ...more
Althea Ann
Sep 28, 2013 Althea Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Robin Hobb's books a lot, so when I found out she has also published a bunch under 'Megan Lindholm' of course I had to go get them! These were the first I read under this name. It's really one story, that was originally divided in two by the publisher, and later pout out as an omnibus called "The Saga of the Reindeer People."
I'm not sure why she uses two different names. The style of writing was recognizably the same, although this story is somewhat darker than many of her epic 'Robin Hob
Monia Sommer
Aug 09, 2015 Monia Sommer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

En voyant le titre, j’ai tout de suite craqué ! En ce qui me concerne, dès qu’un livre parle de peuples nordiques, de rennes ou tout ce qui s’y rapporte, j’achète directement ! Et là ce fut le cas, je n’avais même pas lu le résumé d’ailleurs. Et il faut dire que la couverture est vraiment très belle, tout à fait dans l’esprit du roman.

Dès les premières pages, nous faisons la connaissance de Tillu, une femme courageuse, excellente guérisseuse, au passé tour
miha ha
Kok mi je bla pa tale všeč !!! Od začetka do konca sm bil čist noter in navijov za Tillu in njenga sinčka Kerlewa in kako zlo nism marov Carpa, aaagh, k je polnu Kerlewo glavo z neumnostmi - npr. kaj je žensko in kaj je moško delo in da mu more Tillu vse delat ker on bo šaman...

Pa kok mi je blo dobr da ne pretirava s spolnostjo, oz. z opisovanjem in sanjarjenjem, nobenih razmišljanj o vznemirjenih delih telesa, šele čist na koncu knjige omeni da je bla "v tistem delu meseca ko si je želela moške
Stéphanie
Feb 26, 2016 Stéphanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first half of the Saga of the Reindeer People (before Wolf’s Brother).

Tillu is a young healer who lives with her strange son Kerlew with Benu’s nomadic tribe in the north. The tribe’s repulsive shaman, Carp, has a strange power over her son and wants to teach him his magic. He also constantly harrasses Tillu, trying to bed her.

Terrified of the old man and tired of seeing her son continuously bullied, one night she flees through the frozen, winter-ravaged land, leaving the tribe behin
Jussi Valonen
Aug 08, 2015 Jussi Valonen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable fantasy novel. What I found most interesting we're the marks of Lindholm's work as Robin Hobb. The detailed description of a world that comes alive as you read, the flawed characters who slowly work out their problems and the outsiders trying to find their place. In Kerlev one even catches a glimpse of a white prophet, weaving fates together like strings. There's also some Kerlev in Thick from the Tawny Man trilogy. Highly recommended, especially for fans of Hobb's more well kno ...more
Dawn
May 27, 2012 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Robin Hobb fans
Shelves: owned-bookcase
I'm so glad that someone introduced me to Robin Hobb (aka Megan Lindholm) a few years ago. I'll never forget that kind person, as the Farseer books were an incredible experience and remain very dear to me. (I've read them a few times too, which is not something I do often).
What a storyteller she is! I can't believe I have left it so long to read her work written as Megan Lindholm.

This book cast a spell over me and I was quickly absorbed into it's world, so that it was read in very few sittings.
B
Loraine
Dec 09, 2012 Loraine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robin Hobb writes very energetic "high fantasy," as I call her style. Under her Megan Lindholm pseudonym, she seems rather more grounded in the natural world. These books, written early in her career, are hard to come by in local libraries, but a worth finding. Her style is more workmanlike and less seismic. The fantastic and magical can be seen as shamanistic vision in The Reindeer People.

Tillu is a healer, probably some time in the Pleistocene and somewhere in the arctic tundra of Old Europe,
Mersini
It seems I have a soft spot for novels set in the harsh wilderness of North American winters. This is the first Megan Lindholm/Robin Hobb book that I've ever read, after having heard excellent things about her fantasy books and although I'm sure this is not one of the books people have in mind when they talk about her, it doesn't disappoint.

It's unsurprisingly reminiscent of Jean Auel's novels; enchanting, with a world of two different species of humans mixing, the characters vivid and each wit
Yehudit
Dec 17, 2015 Yehudit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
So it has been quite a while since I actually read this book, but I was going to start reading the next part of the story very soon, and so I thought I'd put some kind of perfunctory review for the first part.
The upshot is this: I really enjoyed this book, more than I thought I would. Honestly, the rating kind of threw me off before picking this up, but I am very glad I did. The writing was fabulous, the characters likeable and weird and just fitting with this prehistoric, dark atmosphere that p
Felicity
Jul 18, 2014 Felicity rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You can't go back - either to the 80s or to Siberian prehistory. Somehow, this book seems as dated as shoulderpads. That's not its fault, though. What is its fault is being one of those books where the reader knows all about the evil done by, well, the Evil Guy but the hapless characters don't have a clue. I never can handle a book like that. So yeah, I read most of this one & skimmed the sequel. Notable only for the portrayal of an autistic child as one of the main characters.
Richelle
I did start reading this before 14 September, but I don't recall exactly when. And I set it aside for "Fool's Quest".

I've only ever read one Megan Lindholm book previously and I wasn't actually that taken with it. I know that Megan is Robin Hobb. I'm not entirely sure why this was written under this pen name instead of the other. There's just as much magic in this tale as in any written under Robin Hobb. And I'm looking forward to the sequel.

I don't care much for Carp, and I'm glad Tillu left t
Doc Opp
Megan Lindholm also writes as Robin Hobb, who is one of my favorite authors, so I decided to check this out. As Robin Hobb she's more sci-fi/fantasy. As Lindholm she's more classic fiction; although there is some fantastical element, its very subtle.

The story chronicles a stone age inuit mother and her autistic son, who are forced to travel from tribe to tribe as the son's odd behaviors make him a cast off. Its not really my cup of tea as a plot, but the book was well written, and really gives
Preston
an interesting story written by megan lindholm. I like the native American mythical setting and it is refreshing to have such a strong female protagonist.
Catherine Bateson
May 23, 2012 Catherine Bateson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know this was a reissue from the backlist of titles by Megan Lindholm's books. Megan Lindholm also writes as Robin Hobbs (or should that be Robin Hobbs also writes as Megan Lindolm?) This was, as you'd expect, good, solid writing with believable and endearing central characters. I feel Hobbs/Lindholm always uses what she knows in fantasy and the character of Elsa's son is particularly well-drawn. I love the domestic details of fantasy like this and there's solid research behind this boo ...more
Jane Bailey
Feb 07, 2014 Jane Bailey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I simply devoured this book. Ms Lindholm's ability to write sympathetic flawed characters is unmatched. It sounds to me like Kerlew has some form of autism and the way his otherness is interpreted by the society he is growing up in is fascinating.
Ditte
Feb 07, 2016 Ditte rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2,5.
Amanda
Aug 20, 2014 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5
Felicity
I have been a huge fan of Robin Hobb since I was about 15. I love the Farseer Books and eagerly read everything Ms Hobb writes.
I knew that she also wrote as Megan Lindholm, but had never read her work under this pseudonym. If I hadn't have know they were the same author, I honestly don't think I would've picked it from reading this book.
I enjoyed the story, but it certainly didn't grab me the way her work as Robin Hobb has.
Molly
Sep 18, 2012 Molly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kelly
The Reindeer People swaps the high fantasy world of Fitz Farseer and his friends for the frozen wastes of prehistoric North America and a tale of how the outsiders survive in a time where group acceptance can be the difference between life and death... [Read more: https://dorristheloris.wordpress.com/...]
Marie Jenkinson
Love her writing as Robin Hobb - dislike her writing as Megan Lindholm. I don't know if it is the setting (native american backdrop rather than otherworld fantasy) of if it is simply that her writing style has not evolved as with the Robin Hobb titles.

I found this rather dull in comparison. I need to revisit these again - just to see if my opinion of them has changed.
Beverly
Jan 01, 2014 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this. Several times I noticed that my heart was pounding, which does not happen often while I'm reading. I enjoy pre-historical fiction, though I do wish there didn't always have to be one or two irredeemably evil characters.
Gayla Bassham
It's obvious that this book was written by the author of Assassin's Apprentice; the two novels share similar styles and themes. But this book isn't nearly as good. It was a pleasant enough diversion for a couple of days, but I doubt I'll pick up the sequel. Still, if you love the setting of The Clan of the Cave Bear, you might like this one.
Kurtbg
This a tale in the vein of Clan of the Cave Bear. It deals with acceptance and survival. After reading this, reading the second book is definitely needed in order to have any sense of closure. The first book structure doesn't quite have a big enough mini-resolution to make the altogether satisfying on it's own.
Nikki
Jun 05, 2008 Nikki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I remember basically nothing about this book. I don't think I thought it was anywhere near the level of Lindholm's later writing as Robin Hobb, or as easy to read and enjoyable as the Ki and Vandien quartet. Still, I read it all and eagerly read the sequel, so there's good stuff there.
  • The Reindeer Hunters (Reindeer Hunters, #3)
  • Reindeer Moon (Reindeer Moon, #1)
  • The Year the Horses Came
  • Circles of Stone (Mother People, #1)
  • The Willful Princess and the Piebald Prince
  • Dance of the Tiger: A Novel of the Ice Age
  • Song of the River (Storyteller Trilogy, #1)
  • The Novels of Tiger and Del, Volume II
  • The Children of First Man
  • Beyond the Sea of Ice (The First Americans, #1)
  • Eyes of Silver
  • Fall of Thanes (The Godless World, #3)
  • Picture Maker
  • Hawkwood and the Kings (Monarchies of God, #1-2)
  • Greyhaven
  • The Last Wizard (Wizard of the Grove, #2)
  • The Donkey Rustlers
The author also writes under the pseudonym Robin Hobb. Her real name is Margaret Astrid Lindholm Ogden.
More about Megan Lindholm...

Reindeer People (2 books)
  • Wolf's Brother (Reindeer People, #2)