Start by marking “Resonance” as Want to Read:

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Graham Smith is a 33 year-old office messenger. To the outside world he's an obsessive-compulsive mute - weird but harmless. But to Graham Smith, it's the world that's weird. And far from harmless. He sees things others can't . . . or won't. He knows that roads can change course, people disappear, office blocks migrate across town. All at night when no one's looking. The w ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Baen Books

To ask other readers questions about Resonance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Resonance

Katy
Jun 08, 2013 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of speculative fiction concerning quantum theories
Shelves: ebook
Book Info: Genre: Speculative Fiction
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Fans of speculative fiction, those interested in quantum physics
Trigger Warnings: kidnapping, violence, attacks

My Thoughts: Since I was reading the books by Dolley I'd received in exchange for a review, I decided to go ahead and read this one, which I've had since well before those others.

This is a really good book with a really cool idea. The problem is I can't tell you much about it without ruining the surprise of disco
Mike
It's not often that I buy a book thinking it's something completely different from what it actually is, and still end up giving it five stars.

I wasn't in the mood for anything that was already on my Kindle, and I felt like something amusing, so I thought, "That steampunk Wodehouse pastiche What Ho, Automaton! was funny. I'll get something else by the same guy." I glanced over the Amazon reviews for Resonance, and one of them described it as a "romp", plus it was getting lots of stars, so I grabb
Rebecca
It's somewhat unfortunate that I recently read a book that has a very similar "surprise" premise. I caught on to what was happening by the second chapter. Which was unfortunate, because the characters blundered through half a dozen alternate explanations over the next half a book before discovering that I was right. Maybe if I'd read this first, I would have been more surprised, but I don't think so.

So the pacing really lagged for me for the first half. Fortunately, I found Graham an engaging en
Ubiquitousbastard
Firstly, the cover has almost nothing to do with the book, except in perhaps an abstract way. It is kind of an awful cover that makes it look like the book is going to be some cheesy futuristic affair, and that does it not justice whatsoever.

I went through various stages of wanting to read this book, including deleting it off my book reader because the cover made me think it wasn't worth the effort that I originally thought it might be and then re-adding it later when I saw it in my recommendat
Bigal-sa
What an interesting book. One person able (unknowingly) to flip between dimensions and another able to communicate with "others" in different dimensions.

The only thing that bugged me was that about two thirds of the way through you could already guess in which dimension it was going to end. The ending was also rather abrupt, but these points do not detract from making it an excellent read.

What is quite interesting is that Dolley is from England, yet the spelling in the Kindle version I read was
Kevin
I really liked this book!

Graham Smith lives in London and is an office messenger. He delivers mail and memos from office to office. He doesn't interact with anyone, and he doesn't speak. He hasn't spoken since he was a child. He counts the squares in the sidewalk when he walks home -- he never steps on cracks. He has a rigid set of procedures for doing everything. He appears Autistic, but he's not.

His perseverations are a defense mechanism that allow him to deal with a changing world -- A rapidl
Rosver
Chris Dolley

****

An interesting book. Starts in a very confusing and tempered but tension filled situation that gradually escalates and clears up, ending with a very memorable climax. Very exciting with a clean and clear prose. Ideas and the nature of the situations do create confusion that might make it less interesting to some readers.

The beginning opens up with the introduction to our protagonist Graham Smith which initially appears to be insane with his obsession to his routines and
YouKneeK
I could barely put this book down. I don’t want to give any details about the story beyond the synopsis already provided for the book. The less you know going into the story, the more fun you'll have reading it. I slowly pieced together what was going on along with the main characters. Even once you figure out what’s going on, there’s still a lot more to figure out. Why is it happening? What can be done about it? Who can be trusted?

If I’d had the time, I might have read this book in one sitting
Sean Randall
"at the last count you had 472 fathers and 4,487 mothers."

It's quite evident from the outset of this crackingly enjoyable story that Graham, our strange protagonist, is rather odd. he has strange habits, strange ideas, strange issues. And naturally they worsen a hundredfold throughout.

"Why hadn't fate picked someone brighter? Not someone who took five minutes to lock a door and couldn't sleep if he thought a picture was hanging crooked."

I've seen some odd literary heroes in my time, but graham
M. J.
Levi
This was so much damn fun. One of those books that seems like a strange, intense dream you just had. I read the entire thing in less than 24 hours without picking up any other books, which is pretty unusual if you know me. (view spoiler)

Graham is a thirty-something guy who works in a mailroom and seems to have OCD. When a woman on the street slips him a note re
Beverly
Resonance is a contemporary science fiction mystery. Graham Smith is a man with OCD who believes the world changes every time he strays from his daily routine. Annalise Mercado hears voices – all from girls called Annalise. The voices tell her about the danger Graham’s in. And how only she can keep him alive. Although I am not a fan of sic-fi, this book held my interest and was very good.
Julian White
Odd to have picked another book with this subject (cf The Game) but I guess with an infinite number of worlds... Ultimately this was a lot more satisfying than The Game - largely because it finishes satisfactorily. It's a good read - had me guessing at first just what was going on - and fails to get the fifth star only because I got a bit lost towards the end in the final resolution (there's a lot going on there!).
Wealhtheow
Graham Smith does not speak, does not have friends or family, and never, ever, wavers from his daily rituals. Any deviation from his routine makes reality shift and change around him. Coworkers disappear, his apartment changes, his parents are suddenly alive and just as suddenly vanish again...And so every day he walks in precisely the same way along the sidewalk, ties his shoelaces in exactly the same way, and sticks sticky notes to everything, to remind him of what he did and when.

It's a lone
Tom
This was one long, boring book. Writing was competent. It's a parallel universe tale where one unsuspecting man is caught in the middle. Nothing new with the rare sci-fi elements. No surprise ending. Very forgettable.
Ebreilly
Wonderful Read

Original plot and very exciting. A page turner with well defined characters. Will be checking out more of this author's books.
Nicholas Lopez
Really, really, great book! Started out slow, but picked up after about 100 pages! Ending was kind of disappointing and felt rushed.
Magister
Captivating start... which made me wait for the Doctor to come to the rescue any page... only he didn't. And while the book evolved to remind me more of .hack// ...or Inception... somewhere in the twenties' chapters the book lost me and I started asking myself what might be going on in the stories abandoned for this one, with Amy and River, with Bran and Arya, even those who had come to an end once before (like Subaru and Tsukasa) or recently again (like Neville and Luna).

The book had me again
Gillean
Glen
This book started out just fantastic, on a topic I've thought about many times over the years. It was eerie how closely the author's idea mirrored one of mine, which given the topic is even more amusing. Round about the three-quarter mark it veered off into original territory, but in a nice way and with a good concept I was pleased with. Overall a very nice read.
Hermione
It was a complex tale, well told, but I was expecting a big romantic finish at the end which didn't really happen. Still, it was a very interesting story. The character of Graham Smith and how he transforms over the course of the story is fascinating.
Kate
That was really really good. Ah I love it when you just pick up a book with no expectations and it just goes ahead and blows your mind. It was nice, funny, sweet, thought provoking and all the things! It just gripped me and didn't let go.
Garland Coulson
Very gripping, hard to put down. Great mystery - at first I thought the main character was just obsessive/compulsive and then I found out why he always did things a certain way. Wow!

Only gripe is it ended too soon - I want more!
Dianna
Lapetitefay
It started out so well and then it crashed. I skipped about 60 pages towards the end because I felt like I wouldn't miss anything if I just moved to the end. That's not a good sign.
Steven
The cover artwork for the book really doesn't have anything to do with the book in my opinion, was really interesting and kept me wondering how everything would go together in the end....
Wil
I have to admit that much of what I enjoyed from this novel was how much it reminded me of Resume With Monsters. This isn't a bad thing, but it probably shouldn't go unmentioned.
Teresa Carrigan
Science fiction of the multiple universes type. Quite well done and not the usual approach to it either. A lot of the story is psychological too. Great character development.
Eero
Fun, fast paced book. The "science" behind the plot is kind of contrived, but self consistent, which is all one can hope for in most cases. Graham Smith is an unusual hero.
Danny
I was captivated from the first few pages. The character of Graham Smith was so unusual, yet written believably. Ripped through the book in a day.
  • The Multiplex Man
  • Planets of Adventure
  • Black on Black (Heyoka Blackeagle, #1)
  • Planetfall
  • Sleipnir
  • The Forlorn
  • Odyssey
  • Mother of Demons
  • Agent of Vega & Other Stories
  • The Creatures of Man
  • Sympathy for the Devil (Devil's Point, #1)
  • Neptune Crossing (Chaos Chronicles, #1)
  • Seas of Venus (Seas of Venus, #1-2)
  • Great Kings' War
  • The Lion of Farside (Farside, #1)
  • Pandora's Legions
  • Wisdom of the Fox (Gerin the Fox, #2-3)
  • West Of Honor
New York Times bestselling author, pioneer computer game designer and teenage freedom fighter. That was back in 1974 when Chris was tasked with publicising Plymouth’s Student Rag Week. Some people might have arranged an interview with the local newspaper. Chris invaded the country next door, created the Free Cornish Army and persuaded the UK media that Cornwall had risen up and declared independen ...more
More about Chris Dolley...
French Fried: one man's move to France with too many animals and an identity thief What Ho, Automaton! Medium Dead Reggiecide Magical Crimes