Start by marking “Alternate Oscars” as Want to Read:
Alternate Oscars

Alternate Oscars

A noted film critic and author of Cult Movies offers his lively and controversial year-by-year choices for whom he believes should have won the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences highest honor. Photos.
Published January 1st 1993 by Delta

Robert
This book features its author's picks for Best Picture, Actor, and Actress from each year of the Oscars, starting with the first awards ceremony in the late 1920's through 1991 (the book was published in '93). Peary is a good, knowledgeable film writer and this is a fun exercise—we all have our picks for films and performances that we feel should have nabbed the gold, as well as long lists of stinky winners that outrageously won the day. It's an enjoyable (if not terribly consequential) tome; I ...more
Alonso
Jan 21, 2014 Alonso rated it it was amazing
I somehow had never gotten around to reading this volume by one of my favorite film critics, and Danny Peary brings the same depth and insight here that make his Cult Movies and Guide for the Film Fanatic books such essential reading. You certainly won't agree with every one of his choices, but you'll come away with lists of movies you need to see (and movies that Peary might convince you to re-evaluate). Here's hoping we get a new edition that gives us his post-1991 choices.
theduckthief
Mar 31, 2010 theduckthief rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves classic movies
"The first Academy Awards were given out in 1929. In my view, they got it wrong then, and with few exceptions they have gotten it wrong ever since. Although it was declared that awards would be bestowed based on merit only, that does not always seem to have been the case."

Have you ever felt that an Oscar went to the wrong person or that an undeserving movie won Best Picture? If so, this is the book for you. Danny Peary takes the history of the Academy Awards from 1927-1991 and offers his take on
Glen Engel-Cox
Nov 22, 2014 Glen Engel-Cox rated it liked it
This provides a good history of film through the years in excellent page-long essays, as well as catching the reader up on the critical classics of the medium.
Professor
Jul 15, 2011 Professor rated it really liked it
Another oldy but goody from Danny Peary, in which he gives his choices for the Best Picture, Best Actor, and Best Actress awards for the Oscars from their inception until 1990. Yes, some of Peary usual quirks (left wing politics, being very concerned with feminism while openly leering at actresses)are here, but overall it's a good book with some interesting alternate takes and a whole list of movies I will need to add to my "To See" list. Recommended for film fans. Warning, though, Peary doesn't ...more
Amy Qualls
Aug 09, 2007 Amy Qualls rated it really liked it
If you've ever contended that the Oscars were a political piece of crap, or if the Academy was incapable of recognizing a truly stellar performance without twenty years of hindsight, this is a book to look into. It provides some interesting suggestions on movies that were probably more influential (Citizen Kane, etc.) than the actual winners (How Green Was My Valley) were.

Worth keeping around if you're a serious movie buff, but doesn't really have a lot of repeat-read value. Once absorbed, there
Bob
Apr 14, 2011 Bob rated it it was amazing
A wonderful way to discover films you might not have seen, and also to come up with your own "best of's" for a particular year.
John
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Rickster Locuson
Rickster Locuson is currently reading it
Feb 09, 2016
Naomi
Naomi added it
Jan 15, 2016
Bryce Dorand
Bryce Dorand marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Bob Brooks
Bob Brooks rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Tonia Crum
Tonia Crum rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Pascal
Pascal added it
Dec 05, 2015
Ellen
Ellen rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2015
Kensington Kenny
Kensington Kenny rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2015
Dan
Dan rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2015
Len White
Len White rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2015
Pamela
Pamela rated it really liked it
May 01, 2015
Andy Troyanos
Andy Troyanos rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2015
Glen
Glen marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Monique
Monique rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2015
Luke
Luke rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2015
Alice Gelfand
Alice Gelfand rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2014
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014