Start by marking “Cat Laughing Last (Joe Grey, #7)” as Want to Read:
Cat Laughing Last (Joe Grey, #7)

Cat Laughing Last (Joe Grey #7)

Fans of Lillian Jackson Braun and Rita Mae Brown and cat lovers everywhere will delight in this newest mystery featuring two furry felines on the scent of a killer.

Famous novelist Elliot Traynor is temporarily living in Molena Point. He and his wife don't have much to do with the villagers, which is fine with them since no one particularly likes Vivi. But their arrival has
Published November 5th 2002 by Avon (first published December 24th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Cat Laughing Last, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat Laughing Last

Tiger's Voyage by Colleen HouckCat Land by Keith  NicholsInto the Wild by Erin HunterTailchaser's Song by Tad WilliamsThe Darkest Hour by Erin Hunter
The Cat's Meow
22nd out of 133 books — 118 voters
Coraline by Neil GaimanSabriel by Garth NixAlice in Wonderland by Lewis CarrollIn the Hand of the Goddess by Tamora PiercePlain Kate by Erin Bow
Forget Meow! - Talking Cats in Fiction
42nd out of 103 books — 60 voters

More lists with this book...

Eyehavenofilter
Feb 02, 2012 Eyehavenofilter rated it really liked it
Shelves: cat-mysteries
Again talking detective cats? Who could ask for more?
Jen
Apr 24, 2014 Jen rated it really liked it
Honestly, this was one fo the best books of the series so far; it captures the energy of the first book without the formulaicness of the following ones. I'm not sure why it's better--maybe because I'm a sucker for the theatre, or maybe because I like that Murphy is mixing up her human characters a bit, or maybe I'm glad the tortoiseshell kit finally had a purpose other than to give Joe and Dulcie something to dialogue about. (But no, I'm still not a fan of that character.) I also appreciated tha ...more
Audrey Stephens
Mar 20, 2014 Audrey Stephens rated it really liked it
Well I am a huge fan of Lillian Jackson Braun's "Cat Who..." books so I was a little skeptical about trying a new cat detective series. I was pleasantly surprised by this well written fun book. Never mind that the cats actually talk to humans (and call them on the phone) and that the location is set in a thinly disguised Carmel-By-The-Sea, it was a fun mystery with several good twists and turns. Well worth the time.
Judym
Jul 16, 2014 Judym rated it it was ok
Interesting read but the cats not only talk to each other, they talk to a few people. It's too much of a stretch for my money.
Norra
Dec 13, 2012 Norra rated it did not like it
Shelves: finished-reading
Highly predictable and dragged on and on.
Sandie
May 13, 2011 Sandie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cat lovers, cozy lovers, lover of character-driven mysteries
Recommended to Sandie by: A Novel Idea, collecting series
As Joe Grey and Dulcie stroll the streets and rooftops of Molena Point, California, they are privvy to information no human is aware of. For you see, they are cats. Even among their own furry kind, they are unique and extraordinary, for they can speak just like human beings. Very few humans are aware of their amazing talents, as the felines strive to hide their intellectual ability. However confidential their speaking abilities may be, Joe and Dulcie are key informants to Captain Max Harper of t ...more
Shandi Leonard
Sep 21, 2016 Shandi Leonard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book! I didn't know this was a series of books but I loved it all the same. Joe grey, dulcie and the kit are lovely creatures and their people are pretty good too. I love hot the cats have mouths and minds of their own and can communicate with Clyde, Wilma and Charlie so easily. Even with murders and mayhem in the picture these three almost always keep their cool. I would love to read more from them!
Emily Cullen
Sep 14, 2016 Emily Cullen rated it liked it
A body is discovered in Susan Brittain's house along with all her eBay treasures stolen, people are stealing from other people at yard sales and a famous writer has moved into Molena Point, CA. It's up to felines Joe Grey, Dulcie and the Kit to figure out how all these events relate. I really enjoy this cozy mystery series (A Joe Grey mystery) because the three cats can talk and read. If you're not a cat lover this may not be the series for you.
Katy M
Sep 04, 2015 Katy M rated it it was ok
My mother gave me this book. I love cats. And I like books where cats talk to each other and dogs and other animals. But, when they talk to humans, it goes to far for my taste. The police chief's girlfriend is a housekeeper. She steals glasses for him to get fingerprints. Totally illegal. But, supposedly it's OK since it's all for a good cause. Totally predictable outcome.
Elly Wendy
Sep 23, 2016 Elly Wendy rated it it was ok
2* Well, I did manage to listen to the end and found some parts cute and amusing. Among other things, since it didn't hold my interest, I couldn't sort out all the characters. I doubt I'll look for more in the series.

Listening: This isn't going well. Not sure if I'll be able to finish listening or not. In so many ways, this is not my cup of tea, so I won't rate it. Cat lovers may find it amusing.
Alannah Davis
Apr 28, 2012 Alannah Davis rated it really liked it
This book is #7 in the Joe Grey series, but the first book I've read in the series and by this author. It stands on its own very well. Joe Grey and his companion Dulcie are feline sleuths who can talk to humans - but choose to reveal their talents to very few. A famous author - reportedly ill with cancer - and his loathesome young wife arrive in Joe and Dulcie's small town of Molena Point. While the author finishes a book that causes worry to his agent and a fan, he and his wife cause a stir whi ...more
Tami
Jul 20, 2015 Tami rated it really liked it
I listened to the audio book and with this being my first of the series, I had a little trouble following the characters. I did enjoy the story line and especially liked the ending. There was a twist I didn't see coming as well.
Rita
Jul 17, 2016 Rita rated it really liked it
If you like cats and you like any one of these books, you'll like them all.
Donna Maroulis
Mar 30, 2014 Donna Maroulis rated it really liked it
Love this series ! Working my way through them all, I hope ! Cat detectives -- great combination !
Caroline
Mar 29, 2016 Caroline rated it it was amazing
Another excellent read from Shirley Rousseau Murphy
Pat Beard
Jul 02, 2014 Pat Beard rated it really liked it
Solid but I guess too early.
Lizzie Tannenbaum
Jan 24, 2015 Lizzie Tannenbaum rated it it was amazing
I simply love this cat/sleuth series and book 7 was a delight for me.
Regan
Jan 07, 2011 Regan added it
I really do like the little kitten that Ms. Murphy has added to the series.

This one, however, almost read like the others. Joe is getting a bit retrospective, he and Clyde are fighting more than I like, although I did like the twist in the end. I figured out how the killer was pulling it off the first time Charlie read the book chapter (you have to read the book to find out what I mean) but it was still fun to see it fleshed out.
Phair
Jan 02, 2010 Phair rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It had been a while since my last Joe Grey so it took some time to get back up to speed on the various relationships in Molena Point. Murphy does include plenty of recap info- maybe even too much- as the narrative line seemed uneven. I sort of guessed the big 'mystery' but she does make you care about the regulars. A very comfortable, homey series entry.
Sylvie Parris
Mar 15, 2013 Sylvie Parris rated it really liked it
I liked that this book was written mostly from the cats' point of view, and that the author could give you insight into a few of the human characters as well. Things could have been tied up a little bit neater, as I felt a slight dissatisfaction with the involvement of all the players. Still, I enjoyed the book, and will likely read more in the series.
Katherine
Jan 16, 2009 Katherine rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This book is a mystery with talking cats. I kid you not. Detective cat Joe Grey investigates the connection between a visiting author and a botched burglary. Dramatic and thoroughly cute. I especially like the little details, like difficulties that cats face when trying to use cell phones.
Elsa Troy-Slovik
Mar 04, 2009 Elsa Troy-Slovik rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
This was such a cute book with the cats and the old ladies. It felt like Agatha Christie thrown in a California with cats playing Miss Marple. Somehow it works really well. I was pleasantly surprised and 4 years later I still remember it.
Ruth Ellen
May 27, 2013 Ruth Ellen rated it it was amazing
my mom suggested I read this author. So I went and got her books. and surprise...they are good. I love the cats in this and the people who are close to them. It is a different twist on mysteries. YOU be the judge.
Pat
Sep 18, 2012 Pat rated it it was amazing
I'm reading them whenever I find one I haven't read at the library, so they are not being read in order. Each can stand alone, so no problem! I thought the twist at the end made this one especially good.
Michele
Jun 27, 2012 Michele rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
LOVE this series....the first one was a little creepy...a little dark and a little bit of scifi that I'm not into, but I'm glad I continued with it. Can't wait to read the next one.
Allison
Sep 28, 2009 Allison rated it it was ok
read for my book group. Had trouble getting into story and there were too many murders for small town. My book group liked these better than Lillian Jackson Braun, but I don't.
Brenda Jenkins Kleager
Mar 01, 2008 Brenda Jenkins Kleager rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cat-mysteries
The is the most delightful cat mystery series yet. The fact that the cats communicate with each other and their humans lends a demension to the stories that all cat-lovers adore.
Vicky
Mar 05, 2015 Vicky rated it it was amazing
I loved this entire series… the cats who can talk and solve mysteries… what fun… definitely a cozy mystery, but then I love them… nothing I have to concentrate on...
Rebecca
Oct 13, 2013 Rebecca rated it liked it
l listened to this book as I drove across South Dakota and finished it shortly after getting home. I especially enjoyed looking at the world from a cat's point of view.
Cheryl
Sep 28, 2013 Cheryl rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviews
The series is starting to get a little old. Add a few characters, change up the who-hooks-up-with-whom. I figured out who dunnit too soon.
  • Cat in a Vegas Gold Vendetta (Midnight Louie, #23)
  • A Novel Way to Die (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • The Big Kitty (Sunny & Shadow Mystery, #1)
  • The Cat, the Professor and the Poison (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #2)
Shirley Rousseau Murphy is the author of over 40 books, including the award-winning Joe Grey cat mystery series and three other novels for adults, the Dragonbards Trilogy and more for young adults, and many books for children. She grew up in southern California, riding and showing the horses her father trained. After attending the San Francisco Art institute she worked as an interior designer, and ...more
More about Shirley Rousseau Murphy...

Joe Grey (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Cat on the Edge (Joe Grey, #1)
  • Cat Under Fire (Joe Grey, #2)
  • Cat Raise the Dead (Joe Grey, #3)
  • Cat in the Dark (Joe Grey, #4)
  • Cat To The Dogs (Joe Grey, #5)
  • Cat Spitting Mad (Joe Grey, #6)
  • Cat Seeing Double (Joe Grey, #8)
  • Cat Fear No Evil (Joe Grey, #9)
  • Cat Cross Their Graves (Joe Grey, #10)
  • Cat Breaking Free (Joe Grey, #11)