Grace Before Meals

Grace Before Meals

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Grace Before Meals is more than just a typical cookbook: it offers families recipes for building more meaningful lives. Each chapter reflects on avariety of topics related to personal milestones, family holidays and faith observances. Short essays offer practical wisdom and ideas, so parents cancreate a comfortable environment for honest communication and a "real life" app...more
Spiral-bound, 158 pages
Published September 1st 2007 by Leo Watkins Films

Yolanda
Father Leo had an idea involving food and prayer, like many good concepts his peers had their doubts, although I believe that has changed for the better from the success proven. I have not seen the television series or Father Leo on a popular food show called Throwdown with Bobby Flay. I wouldn't mind looking for them sometime because I did enjoy this book. There is some scripture with the coordinating holiday/recipes, ideas to celebrate and enjoy meals as family. The recipes are not complicated...more
Julie Davis
#70 - 2010.

Got a review copy in the mail yesterday and already can tell that this is a good book on several levels. Father Leo's focus is encouraging family participation in cooking and meals, which is something that I know has much more value than that bald statement can convey. Each short chapter is themed around a holiday or family celebration with an introduction basing it on faith, conversation starters, scripture to look up and read, and (naturally) recipes.

I have read the forward, intro,...more
My husband and I attended a cooking demonstration/NFP talk by Fr. Leo, and it was fabulous! He is funny and enthusiastic, and he has a passion for his faith that is inspiring! We are blessed to have him as a priest in our Catholic Church.

His cookbook is very good. It contains menus for various holidays, feast days and other family milestones. He weaves in stories, faith teachings and fun questions that families can discuss around the dinner table. His mission is to bring families together—ever s...more
Maria Francisco
I had bought this book when it had first come out (and had given it as gifts to four friends in addition), and I will admit: even though I figured out his Fusion Fajita recipe is his variation on Bistek Tagalog, I wanted the recipe anyway—it beat the pants of Bobby Flay!!! I sat down and read the rest of it... and it's full of good stuff, great recipes, and wonderful reflections the entire family can enjoy. I cannot recommend this book enough!
Joan
This is not your typical book you read and return to the library or your bookshelf. It needs to be passed on to family and friends, used as a family reference, and brought out for special occasions. Reflection and recipes - what a combination. Fr. Patalinghug does a great job bring faith to everyday family events.
Lisa
This would be a good book to get families with kids talking at holy days and special feast. Lots of discussion questions, scripture, and recipes to make together. A nice addition to a home library.
Beth Neu
Enjoyable read - I like the prayers and the recipes.
Lori
I am reading this book now. I love it!
Mary
Mary added it
Jun 30, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Leo
Leo marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
 Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Kevin
Kevin added it
Oct 01, 2013
Polly Hillier
Polly Hillier marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2013
Kathy Gilmour
Kathy Gilmour marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Spicing Up Married Life Epic Food Fight: A Bite-Sized History of Salvation Epic Food Fight: A Bite-Sized History of Salvation