Start by marking “A Practical Man (Star Wars: Boba Fett)” as Want to Read:
A Practical Man (Star Wars: Boba Fett)

A Practical Man (Star Wars Legends)

On the surface, it seems like just another routine contract for Boba Fett and his Mandalorian commandos, but the mystery client who hires them to start a small war is more dangerous than any of them can possibly imagine. When the Yuuzhan Vong invasion force sweeps into the galaxy, the Mandalorians find they’re on the wrong side–fighting for an alien culture that will bring ...more
ebook
Published 2006 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about A Practical Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Practical Man

Lyn
Mar 13, 2016 Lyn rated it liked it
A Practical Man is a 2006 short story featuring Boba Fett and acting as a precursor to the New Jedi Order series of novels.

Author Karen Traviss explores a third great power source in the Lucas universe, neither the Jedi or the Sith, really not even directly involving The Force, but rather the Mandalorians and Fett’s miraculous escape from the Tatooine Sarlacc.

The Mandalorians were a warrior group comprised primarily of humans who operate out of a clan based confederacy, and frequently appear in
Dave Logghe
Jun 21, 2012 Dave Logghe rated it it was amazing
I'm no stranger to the Star Wars extended universe. In middle school and high school, these were the only books I read with any type of eagerness or regularity. Having read a lot of it, I have come to terms with the idea that most licensed star wars novels are little more than decent to good fan-fiction. You can usually assume there will be a jedi who makes only lightside decisions and usually one who will do the opposite (always two, there are). However, this simple little novella broke out of ...more
M Hamed
Mar 31, 2016 M Hamed rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars, 2016
more like(Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #1.5).it explains why the Mandalorians did not appear in the series at all, but not good enough
J
Feb 01, 2017 J rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Star Wars Fans
I enjoyed and have always enjoyed Ms. Traviss' take on the Mandalorians. She paints a wonderful picture of apparent mercenaries, dong the most difficult thing, fighting for the wrong side to gain valuable intelligence all while no one can know the good that they are doing.
KaiJerome
Dec 31, 2016 KaiJerome rated it liked it
I was pretty lukewarm on this book (for the same reasons I'd heard Traviss' Mandalorians criticized before) until one particular emotional scene wherein Boba Fett, as a comrade lays dying, ponders the inefficacy of stabbing wounds when incapacitating an enemy. That felt Boba Fett-ish.
Bernard
Nov 26, 2016 Bernard rated it liked it
Shelves: wookieerrific
This is the first story I've read by Karen Traviss. But it won't be the last. As I was looking up the New Jedi Order reading list I noticed there was this oddly placed e-book shorty story listed as #1.5 of the NJO. Turns out it was published in print as well, in the back of Legacy of the Force: Sacrifice. That book having sat on my shelf for too many years waiting its turn to be read, I nevertheless picked it up out of order, dusted it off (literally) and flipped to the back to read this Boba Fe ...more
Kaleb Phillips
Aug 11, 2012 Kaleb Phillips rated it it was ok
This one.... well, what can I say about this one?
It was alright, there are times when the book felt interesting and intriguing. But there were more times when the narrative was confusing and gave information not vital to the story, or back story. It follows the thoughts of two characters during the same instances, instead of only one, which gives an odd sense of dual personalities, seeing as you read a thought and think it is one character, only to find that it's the other that is suddenly the s
Wojtek
Jan 03, 2013 Wojtek rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-wars
Dull and annoyingly-written story with a (in my opinion) horrible 'Mandalorians-do-this, Mandalorians-do-that' scheme explaining anything from a way of killing an opponent to a metod of ordering an ale in a cantina through a Mandalorian way of life. Everything has to be 'mandalorianised' in Travis' part of the Star Wars EU and I liked it for a short time, now it really makes me sick of her works; she tried to create a culture and did a good job in the whole culture creating process, yet it wasn' ...more
Dan
May 06, 2014 Dan rated it liked it
One of the traits of science fiction is that it often confuses the reader and conveys a sense of other-ness, alien perception, and unfamiliar technology, though as the reader comes to understand the world and characters it becomes less confusing. However, this probably shouldn't be the case in a novel (or novella) set in a universe with which the reader is already very familiar - i.e. Star Wars. I was very confused for the first half of the story, but once we got to Boba Fett's perspective in th ...more
Erik Fjeldsted
Oct 08, 2016 Erik Fjeldsted rated it it was ok
Shelves: sw-noncanon
This was a short, short story and I was really hoping for a Boba Fett to have a good shoot 'em up scene. But if you take out the mutant creatures trying to take over the Galaxy it was about him living up to his dad's legacy and how the sarlacc pit still gave him nightmares.

I feel like with Boba Fett and Mandorians as the protagonist it could've had a lot more action and explosions. That's kind of what they are known for.

And this book didn't conclude well at all. It talked about he was preparing
Jim C
Dec 29, 2013 Jim C rated it really liked it
My rating is 3.5 stars.

A short story that introduces the storyline of the New Jedi Order and involves everbody's favorite bounty hunter. This short story is about the Vong meeting up with the Mandalorians. I liked the story up until the ending. Even though this was a short story, I thought the ending was a little abrupt. I think fans of Boba Fett will enjoy how he handles situations and how his plans are well thought out.
Johnny
Dec 27, 2015 Johnny rated it it was ok
Decent short story, giving a little insight into Boba Fett's role in Mandalorian culture, but not much else to it. They introduced the bad guys that'd take over the galaxy in some other book series I guess, the bad guys that would turn everyone into crab-people, but I'm not going down that path any time soon. Meh. Two stars.
Jordan Lahn
Jan 02, 2013 Jordan Lahn rated it it was amazing
Boba Fett is clearly a bad ass, and years of being the best has put him in charge of the Mandalorian mercenaries, and with the Vong invasion beginning he has to do something he hasn't had to do before: think about what is best for other people. Great chance to get inside his head and understand what makes the best bounty hunter the best.
Jarrod
Aug 19, 2014 Jarrod rated it it was amazing
Shelves: starwars
"You can run," he said, "But you'll only die tired."
-Boba Fett

This was a great view into the Mandalorian/Vong conflict and also spawned my most favourite quote of all time from Boba Fett.

66 pages of awesome.
Shaun
Apr 23, 2014 Shaun rated it really liked it
I love Boba Fett and Traviss' depiction of the Mandalorian people. A great novella. My first foray into the Yuuzhan Vong war and it does not disappoint. I love it that Fett plays both sides and actually cares about his people
Tony Russo
Aug 16, 2012 Tony Russo rated it liked it
I really could not get into this. Ever since The Vong, or whatever they were called, showed up, the whole Star Wars universe became very depressing and very boring. Even Bobba Fett didn't make this very interesting. Much of his backstory was created in the prequels.
Tony
Jan 31, 2013 Tony rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
This was a decent short story. It wasn't anything that blew me away but was entertaining none the less. What it did do is make me want to check out some of the authors other SW work, especially the Commando series.
Jenny
Jun 30, 2013 Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
Another Star Wars short story...This one features Boba Fett as the head of the Mandalorians during the early days of the Vuuzhan Vong invasion of the galaxy. The plot shows that the Mandalorians, a warrior people, also have a human side with strong family ties.
Jim
Dec 29, 2011 Jim rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013, 2013-adult
This was okay. It was interesting seeing what Fett was up to during the Vong NJO era. I kinda like Fett and his code of honor. He's admirable in his own way.
Roger
May 30, 2012 Roger added it
Okay. Gotta love Fett. Story was a tad boring and didn't really add much to the NJO or the Fett/Mandalorian mythos.
Travis
Jun 01, 2013 Travis rated it liked it
Quick read. Nothing particularily spectacular here. There were some interesting aspects but overall the novella is underwhelming.
James Hancock
Aug 22, 2015 James Hancock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book only got to read 75% of the book but whatever

Cool great overall good book I love star wars it's my favorite series a So CALLED CLASSIC IS WORSE THAN THIS.

Grant
Feb 06, 2016 Grant rated it really liked it
An entertaining short piece set before the Legends New Jedi Order series, emphasizing Fett's ability to find a middle ground between unpleasant alternatives, though that middle ground is hardly safe.
Rocky Sunico
Apr 05, 2011 Rocky Sunico rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
Great short book and an interesting view of Boba Fett's role during the invasion, which felt to be rather light. I still need more background information though as to when he became the Mandalore.
William
Nov 24, 2012 William rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars, ebooks
A great intro to the NJO series that allows us to see that the great bounty hunter, Boba Fett is still alive and kicking. This is more of a novella than a true novel.
william c. jandrew
Good backstory

It's an interesting intro to the Yuuzhan Vong story arc and further fleshes out an adult Boba Fett and his Mandalorians
K
Jan 19, 2014 K rated it it was amazing
Excellent short story that takes place right before the Vong attacked the New Republic. It was interesting seeing Boba Fett's more humane side. 5/5
Shafiq Chaudhary
Shafiq Chaudhary rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Karl Kloeden
Karl Kloeden rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2014
Justin Yost
Justin Yost rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2011
  • A Forest Apart
  • Fool's Bargain (Star Wars)
  • The Hive (Star Wars: Clone Wars, Short Story)
  • Riptide (Star Wars)
  • The Ruins of Dantooine (Star Wars: Galaxies)
  • Ylesia (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #14.5)
  • Saboteur (Star Wars:  Darth Maul, #1)
  • Patterns of Force (Star Wars: Coruscant Nights, #3)
  • Scourge (Star Wars)
  • Siege (Star Wars: Clone Wars Gambit, #2)
  • Emissary of the Void (New Jedi Order, #8b)
  • Tales from the New Republic (Star Wars)
  • Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor (Star Wars)
  • Knight Errant
  • Allies (Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi, #5)
#1 New York Times best-selling novelist, scriptwriter and comics author Karen Traviss has received critical acclaim for her award-nominated Wess'har series, and her work on Halo, Gears of War, Batman, G.I. Joe, and other major franchises has earned her a broad range of fans. She's best known for military science fiction, but GOING GREY, the first of her new techno-thriller series, is set in the re ...more
More about Karen Traviss...

Star Wars Legends (1 - 10 of 346 books)
  • Dawn of the Jedi:  Into the Void
  • Precipice (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #1)
  • Skyborn (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #2)
  • Paragon (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #3)
  • Savior (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #4)
  • Purgatory (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #5)
  • Sentinel (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #6)
  • Revan (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #1)
  • Deceived (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #2)
  • Red Harvest

“Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth.” 10 likes