Start by marking “Goldie Locks Has Chicken Pox” as Want to Read:
Goldie Locks Has Chicken Pox

Goldie Locks Has Chicken Pox

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  356 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Goldie Locks has chicken pox;
from head to toe were polka dots....

When Goldie Locks spies her first spot, her mother knows it must be chicken pox. She immediately calls the Three Bears, apologizing for the chair, to see if Baby Bear has chicken pox, too. Soon, a steady stream of storybook favorites -- from Little Bo Peep to Henny Penny -- stop by to visit the bedridden
Published February 1st 2002 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Goldie Locks Has Chicken Pox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goldie Locks Has Chicken Pox

Kathryn
I loved Wakiyama's illustrations in The Best Pet of All and found this book after I searched for more of her work in my library. The cover illustration is certainly adorable and has the same retro look that I loved in "Best Pet" but overall I wasn't quite as fond of the illustrations in "Goldie Locks"--a few of the expressions just didn't seem as winsome and I was perplexed at the placement of the barrettes in Goldie's hair (I thought they looked a bit like devil horns, though that didn't make a ...more
myKCmom
Feb 19, 2015 myKCmom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes as a girl, and I loved them even more when I discovered as a grad student (studying Cognitive Development) the benefits of rhyme and the important role rhymes play in reading fundamentals! In fact my daughter's room was completely done in Mother Goose thanks to Mary Engelbreit and some great nostalgic pieces I found... So I cannot even begin to describe my enthusiasm when I stumbled upon this book, but so often we find something we think will be amazing only t ...more
Tina
Feb 03, 2008 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just read this book to my son and I think I enjoyed it more than he did.

The story in cute, told in an easy rhyme with many references to other fairy-tale/Mother Goose-ish characters. However what did it for me are the illustrations.

The look and feel are very retro fifties with a dash of wit. While Little Red (just Little Red, no Riding hood, thank you very much) comes skipping by to ask "Can Goldie come to Gran's with me?/I sure would like the company." We see the Bid Bad peeking cheekily thro
Natalie
Mar 12, 2009 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-alouds
Several nursery rhyme/fairy tale characters make cameos in this story of a little girl plagued not only by chicken pox, but her pesky little brother as well. The illustrations are a most striking element. They have a very 1950's everything is wonderful in Donna Reed's kitchen feel, with Goldie, last name: Locks, seemingly inspired by the Coppertone girl.

This book is a great conversation piece to get kids talking, recalling their own experience with chicken pox or just to point out all of the ch
Anna Summers
In the book, Goldie Locks Has Chicken Pox, Goldie is at home recovering from chicken pox when her fairy tale and nursery rhyme friends, like Henny Penny, Mama Bear, and Bo Peep, stop by to visit her. Throughout the book, Goldie’s brother teases her about having the chicken pox, and at the end of the book, he notices a few red spots on his own face. What a clever idea to include some classic characters in one story! The rhyming text makes it catchy and fun to read. I like how Goldie’s brother lov ...more
Connie
Feb 17, 2010 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poor Goldie Locks. She has chicken pox.

We rhyme our way through the large cast of Mother Goose figures and one annoying baby brother (who, after being so annoying to his sister, including playing connect-the-dots on her face, eventually gets sick himself, a just desert if I ever saw one!)

Cute, retro illustrations and nice rhymes. I'm not as thrilled with the book as my nieces are, but they like it enough to justify giving it the fourth star.
Markus
Dec 08, 2014 Markus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story in which Goldilocks, from the fairy tale has contracted a childhood communicable disease. First, the book is invested in trying to figure out who gave her the chicken pox, and the end of book is about how her annoying brother chooses to torment her. This Goldilocks seems to live in a more modern time than the fairy tale world we know, but her friends like Red Riding Hood and Chicken Little and others make appearances.

I liked the inclusion of all these characters, like they know
Lena
Oct 31, 2008 Lena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Cute as can be! I love it, Red Riding Hood and Bo Peep wanted Goldie to come out and play and she could not. Then her brother was a pest! Need to read this one!
Margie
Apr 22, 2008 Margie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Charming author who is just as lively in person. A fun book!
Kfooshee
Mar 11, 2011 Kfooshee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Such a fun book with awesome retro illustrations!
Eva Leger
Aug 02, 2010 Eva Leger rated it liked it
Recommended to Eva by: library
Shelves: julias-books
I didn't read this with Julia but I did overhear my Mother, Julia's Oma, reading it to her. I wasn't exactly paying attention and it could be that my Mom has extra special reading-to-kids skills but it sounded quite nice.
Rhyming books usually can always jump to the front of the line with me.
Julia says she liked when the brother wanted some of the girls ice cream and she didn't like the "Little Red Riding Hood" part.
I may reread this with her myself so I can add my input. If we do read this ou
Kristin Palumbo
In Goldie Locks has Chicken Pox, Goldie starts to find dots on her which turn into being the chicken pox. Her little brother is a pest as she tries to rest. Her brother also keeps teasing her of having the chicken pox. At the end of the story when Goldie Locks is sick of her brother nagging her she goes to her mom and tells on him. Then they find a red dots on her brother, it was his turn for the chicken pox.
Liz Todd
Is this book just outdated now? Kids really don't know much about chicken pox.. and sadly, even my well-read child missed some of the references to nursery rhyme characters. Fail.

I enjoyed the rhythm and pacing of this book. Loved my old nursery rhyme friends who popped in.
Joy Gerbode
Nov 11, 2015 Joy Gerbode rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is a wonderful book to help children get through chicken pox. Using many beloved nursery rhyme characters to help tell the story, they simply talk about chicken pox and share how easily they are "shared".
Judy
Jan 24, 2016 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pic-books
The '50s look is fun and appropriate for a tale about chicken pox. (Do kids even catch chicken pox any more?) But the addition of characters from other stories is just confusing.
Mary
Jan 28, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I really enjoyed the "old-looking" illustrations in this book. I also liked the easy rhythm of the rhyming text. It was a joy to see all the fairytale characters show up as well!
Ataylo18
Feb 17, 2016 Ataylo18 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an easy read and a cute story. It also teaches kids about a common sickness most children get, chicken pox. It has good pictures and is even kind of funny, relating with a story most kids know: Goldie Locks (and many other children book character)!
Michelle
Sep 10, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edrd-314
This not only ties in Goldie Locks, but other folktale legends as well, such as Little Bo Peep and Little Red Riding Hood, which makes it more appealing to children.
Joe
Feb 11, 2015 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of a fun blend of multiple fairy tales and nursery rhyme characters. The rhyming is a little forced in spots but brilliant in others.
Jen
I really enjoyed this story. :) Fun pictures and fun rhymes sure make for fun times! :) I think this is a great gift to any child who has - or had - the chicken pox. I'll have to remember it when my nieces catch it, as I'm sure they will.
Amie Simmons
Sep 09, 2015 Amie Simmons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We have read this book a thousand times. The illustrations are adorable and the story is so creative. Super love.
Michelle
Apr 30, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
excellent book to use in my classroom during poetry month, lessons on poetry, rhyme, meter, excellent story, fairy tale
Beverly
Feb 17, 2014 Beverly rated it liked it
Cute, retro illustrations a la the Campbell soup kids of yesteryear.
Jan
Jun 12, 2012 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute rhyming story about Goldie Locks when she comes down with chicken pox. Plenty of funny twists and clever rhymes, but the subject matter is becoming less familiar. Although when the book was first published in 2002, chicken pox was still pretty common, it has become less and less so now that most kids are immunized. Soon, writing a children's story about chicken pox will be like writing a children's story about measles. Children will recognize the name of the disease because of the immuniz ...more
T.E. Antonino
Aug 12, 2015 T.E. Antonino rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun book. Both boys and girls will enjoy this book.
Alyce Dougan
I thought this book was great for children. It's about Goldie Locks (which most children are familiar with) and she has the chicken pox! The story includes other characters that children will recognize like Little Bo Peep and Little Red Riding Hood. All throughout the story her little brother is teasing her for having the chicken pox... but guess who get them at the end! Children will love this story because its fun, has familiar characters, and it rhymes!
Dayna
Aug 06, 2008 Dayna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is quite clever. The illustrations are something set in the 50's I believe with a little bit of a modern flare. The story is about Goldie Locks who has come down with the chicken pox. As she is recuperating we see visitors from other classic children's tales. The book flows page to page with a nice rhyming text. The main plot being that Goldie's little brother is tormenting Goldie because of her spots. He even offers to connect her dots.
jacky
Apr 30, 2009 jacky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: preschoolers, primary schoolers
Shelves: picture-books
A classmate brought this book in as part of her Literacy History presentation on her daughters. I liked how different fairy tale / nursery rhyme characters showed up throughout the story. However, to fully enjoy the story, children who read it need to have a solid base in these classic stories. There were clever things happening in the illustrations as well. The end had some nice foreshadowing from which kids could make a prediction.
Rena`
May 22, 2008 Rena` rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: little kids that like fairytale characters
Recommended to Rena` by: my grade teacher
this book is oh so cute little goldie locks has chicken poxs and cant have vists from her frineds little rididng hood and little bo peep it so nice and her little brother is always borhtering her and making fun of her but at the end she is making fun ofher little brother because he ends up with the chicken pox for being a little pest and for being anround his older sister when she had the chicken pox.
Rana
Goldie Locks got the chicken pox! A very sweet story about how annoying siblings can be when one is sick. For math one could cound the number of chicken pox spots Goldie Locks has on her face and make shapes out of them. This would also be a good book to use to discuss what happens when we're sick and how we take care of ourselves in different ways when we are sick from different things.
  • Dirty Bertie
  • Cat and Fish
  • The Bunyip of Berkeley's Creek
  • Dinosaurumpus
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • The Animal Boogie
  • Mr Archimedes' Bath
  • Goodnight, Me
  • Sometimes I Like to Curl Up in a Ball
  • Noni The Pony
I write in many genres, from board books to YA. DECK THE WALLS, my new pb, is out--just in time for the holidays.

My picture books with Atheneum/S&S, GOLDIE LOCKS HAS CHICKEN POX, and LITTLE BO PEEP CAN’T GET TO SLEEP have taken me to school visits as far south as Brazil and as far north as Tok, Alaska.I'm a Language Arts/ theater teacher with decades of classroom experience and head the theat
More about Erin Dealey...