Start by marking “The Tomb of Horrors (Greyhawk Classics, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Tomb of Horrors (Greyhawk Classics, #8)

The Tomb of Horrors (Greyhawk Classics #7)

Kaerion Whitehart was once a mighty paladin, but sins of the past have cast him far from the light. Together with an elf mercenary, he now survives by the might of his sword alone.
In exchange for a hefty purse, the two friends agree to accompany a band of patriots into a tomb haunted by fear and legend. They soon find the mission growing beyond their control. As warring f
Published February 1st 2002 by Wizards of the Coast

To ask other readers questions about The Tomb of Horrors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tomb of Horrors

Aug 04, 2014 Derek rated it did not like it
Shelves: tie-in, nostagia-fuel
Why do I keep doing this to myself? It seems that no matter what promise I make to myself about reading the rest of the Greyhawk Classics series, the pain and disappointment from the previous has just enough time to fade before the next book appears in front of me.

Like all the Greyhawk Classics line, the story serves two masters: the natural progression of the characters and plot, and the expectations of the eponymous structure or feature. In hindsight I can't fault Strohm for structuring it suc
Jul 24, 2015 Dru rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, gaming
Tons of spoilers below.

This was the 7th and final book in the "modules-turned-novels" series that I'd read. I *really* wanted to like this book, since I was so familiar with the module, but parts of it just prevented the review from rising above 3 stars. Let's begin with the upsides:

1) An *actual D&D party* is used. No "orphaned kid" coming along on an adventure for high level characters. No "fairies and sphinxes" in the party. Just a nice mix of races and classes.
2) The Tomb crawl itself fo
May 27, 2016 Stefan rated it really liked it
Re-read this one after nearly 10 years and it was even better on audio. It brought back great memories.
Jun 16, 2015 Samuel rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book is a decent, quick read. It has a couple of major problems...

The first is, like the last book I read in the series (The Temple of Elemental Evil) there is very little character development. The main character has a tiny bit of growth, but it does mimic the growth of a character in a D&D game, so it was a bit of fun.

The second problem is that the ending felt very rushed. They spend four-fifth's of the book getting to the tomb, and then only spent a tiny amount of time in the tomb.
Aug 11, 2016 PickinDavis rated it really liked it
I actually thought this is one of the better D&D books I've ever read. I've never been through or read the original module - maybe my opinion would change if I had - but D&D books on a whole are really pretty terrible reads, and I found myself not entirely disappointed by this one.

It is a shame the dungeon itself doesn't present itself until the last 1/3 of the book, and the characters are painfully thin, but all-in-all I actually enjoyed it.
May 25, 2015 Dayne rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. This was my first book of 2015, and I'm sad to admit that it took almost 5 months to finish reading it. By the end of the book, I felt that I had gone with, and shared the hardships of the characters. Although, this might be because it took roughly the same amount of time to read the book as how long the journey of the characters took.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this book to others.
May 28, 2013 Denis rated it really liked it
A good read (surprisingly so). An amusing feature - the adventure party is bringing along guards. Yes, that's right - their armor wasn't explicitly refered to as "red", but it might as well have been...

While D&D novels that I've read in the past have been an unimpressive lot, but this is part of a series of books (unrelated, except the general world setting) based on classic AD&D dungeons that have been quite good so far.
Darren Placido
Jul 23, 2015 Darren Placido rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2012 Jed rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic read! I return to it time and again for a return to the brighter side of mankind in the midst of the chaos of those who seek selfless goals. There are friends who lead our hero in the right direction even when he does not know what the right direction is. This book will remain on my bookshelf.
Chris Turek
Feb 03, 2008 Chris Turek rated it liked it
Shelves: dungeons-dragons
As an old gamer of the module itself, I was excited. The book was fine, but really didn't get cooking until they made it to the actual tomb, which was well into the final third.
Mar 20, 2015 Honeybadger rated it really liked it
tee hee, don't you just HATE those pesky PCs?
Don't you just want to kill half of them off at semi-random?
Have I got the boxed adventure for you!
Feb 27, 2010 Derek rated it really liked it
was very surprised w/ this book. I read it simply to read something and it was an easy read. decent story that was predictable but good overall.
Marcio Barros
May 04, 2014 Marcio Barros rated it it was amazing
Cliché? True to the very mark! But fun to the last page ...
Nov 12, 2014 Sean rated it liked it
A fun romp that brought back dine great memories.
David Roenicke
Dec 01, 2012 David Roenicke rated it really liked it
Pretty good read.
Otiosity rated it it was ok
Oct 21, 2016
Jonathan rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Brian marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Uri Ilan
Uri Ilan rated it it was ok
Sep 07, 2016
Travis H
Travis H marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Angela Hepworth
Angela Hepworth marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Brandon Haase
Brandon Haase marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Rick L
Rick L marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Wayne Ewart
Wayne Ewart marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Elliott Smiggen
Elliott Smiggen is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2016
Stacy rated it it was ok
Jun 16, 2016
Cheryl marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Joel Norden
Joel Norden marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
  • The Temple of Elemental Evil (Greyhawk Classics, #5)
  • Queen of the Demonweb Pits (Greyhawk Classics, #6)
  • Against the Giants (Greyhawk Classics, #1)
  • Sea of Death (Greyhawk: Gord the Rogue, #1)
  • The Name of the Game (Greyhawk Adventures, #6)
  • White Plume Mountain
  • The Captives of Kaag (Lone Wolf, #14)
  • Sands of the Soul (Forgotten Realms: Sembia, #6)
  • The Grieving Tree (Eberron: The Dragon Below, #2)
  • Einstein and Religion: Physics and Theology
  • Spinner of Lies: A Forgotten Realms Novel
  • The Shattered Mask (Forgotten Realms: Sembia, #3)

Greyhawk Classics (7 books)
  • Against the Giants (Greyhawk Classics, #1)
  • White Plume Mountain (Greyhawk Classics, #2)
  • Descent into the Depths of the Earth (Greyhawk Classics, #3)
  • The Temple of Elemental Evil (Greyhawk Classics, #5)
  • Queen of the Demonweb Pits (Greyhawk Classics, #6)
  • Keep on the Borderlands (Greyhawk Classics, #7)