Start by marking “The Mezzo Wore Mink (The Liturgical Mystery #6)” as Want to Read:
The Mezzo Wore Mink (The Liturgical Mystery #6)

The Mezzo Wore Mink (The Liturgical Mystery #6)

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  257 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
(No. 6 in the series) Detective Hayden Konig is living the dream. He's rich, he loves his work, and his girlfriend is prettier than a Holiday Gift Basket full of smoked oysters. Still, Hayden's not a man to rest on his laurels. His mission is clear -- he will be a writer. Not just a writer, but a hard-boiled, noir detective wordsmith worthy of Raymond Chandler's typewriter ...more
Published February 20th 2008 by St. James Music Press

To ask other readers questions about The Mezzo Wore Mink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mezzo Wore Mink

Eric_W
Nov 15, 2014 Eric_W rated it liked it
Another charming mystery with Chief of Police Hayden and the St. Barnabas congregation. Everything is tongue-in-cheek as Schweitzer gently savages religious rigidity. The shtick in the series is that Hayden is also a frustrated writer, much maligned by Meg, his girlfriend. He’s writing a series of potboilers using Raymond Chandler’s typewriter and while wearing Chandler's hat. The writing of these stories within the novel are singularly bad, and he reads them to the choir before practice.

For ex
Catherine Leggitt
Feb 14, 2014 Catherine Leggitt rated it really liked it
This is my sixth Hayden Koenig book. OCD requires me to read them in order. By now these folks have become my friends. I sit in on their informal meetings at The Slab and The Ginger Cat to hear the latest St. Germaine news (read gossip), and I can hardly wait for Sunday so I can attend St. Barnabas to see what new antics the latest priest will concoct. I no longer consider this a guilty pleasure to be read by flashlight under bedcovers, I LOL often, and I don't care who hears.

In this episode of
Debi
Jul 10, 2010 Debi rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
There are seven of these Liturgical Mysteries. They are wonderful. Not great literature, but GREAT fun. I read every one of them, one right after the other, and wished for more.

Highly recommended, especially for those who know anything about church music and small town Episcopalians.
Stephen
Nov 19, 2011 Stephen rated it it was amazing
The sixth installment of the Liturgical Mysteries reintroduces the good people of the village of St Germaine, North Carolina, the good people of St Barnabas' Episcopal Church, the fellow who is both chief of police to the one and organist-choirmaster to the other. There is much that is new in this episode. The interim priest at St Barnabas' produces "The Living Gobbler" -- a Thanksgiving spectacular show calculated to compete with the neighbouring Baptist's "Singing Christmas Tree." The reader a ...more
Roy Wagner
Feb 09, 2015 Roy Wagner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bad as Usual, but...

...the back story mystery was so good, as usual. Great humor and complex interpersonal happenings.

Highly recommended. Read them all!
Stuart
Jul 24, 2015 Stuart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The laughs were a little slower to come in this one, but they came thick and fast at the very end. A worthy addition to the canon.
Barbara
May 29, 2015 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015_read
Another quick, fun read. Once I start it's had to put down.
Julia Walker
Oct 22, 2015 Julia Walker rated it really liked it
still loving them, wedding bells are ringing
Mandy
Jan 12, 2016 Mandy rated it it was amazing
These keep getting better and better.
Patty
May 03, 2008 Patty rated it it was amazing
My blizzard book, this series just keeps getting better. I love the main characters and can't wait to see what disaster befalls the church this time round. This one wasn't as laugh out loud funny as the last book, but it was great none the less. I'm not sure how he manages to combine churches, police chief, very serious music, very bad writing and super silly songs and make the stories this much fun.
Catherine
Apr 01, 2008 Catherine rated it really liked it
Recommended to Catherine by: Nicole gifted it to me
This is a fun, quick read, one in a series of goofy small-town antics by Mark Schweizer. For my Carolina friends, you'll be interested to know that it's set in fictional St Germaine, NC, supposedly within shouting distance of Boone. The main character has a penchant for writing bad crime novels, so his expcerpts are very funny.
Deb
Nov 13, 2011 Deb rated it really liked it
The Living Gobbler - the St. Baranbas Thanksgiving extravaganza led by the Rev. Lemming and his wife, the new ministry team at the church. That's really all that needs to be said. If you're an aficionado of this series, you get it! I love this series!
Homerun2
Jan 31, 2016 Homerun2 rated it liked it
Shelves: michael-read

This series is a hoot. Firmly tongue in cheek but cleverly written,with humor as a main character. Unapologetically corny, with outrageous character names and hilarious scenes, they are always an enjoyable time.
Jessie Verino
May 07, 2011 Jessie Verino rated it really liked it
I love these books! A little mystery, a lot of fun. I wouldn't consider this one the best of the series, but an improvement over the last one I read. Love the little town and all the whacky characters.
Donna Jean
Mar 08, 2013 Donna Jean rated it it was amazing
Most hilarious book I've read in a very long time! So much fun, especially if you're an Episcopalian. This series is very much up my alley. Try one, you'll enjoy it.
David R.
Oct 19, 2009 David R. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I thought this was Schweizer's best mystery in the series. And it was a heck of a lot of fun, too. St. Germaine was at its absurb, yet lovable best.
S.D.
Apr 03, 2008 S.D. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-humorous
All these books in the series are a hoot. If you are looking for a small town with an inside look into the choir loft, these are sure picks.
Julia
Apr 24, 2015 Julia rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable liturgical mystery. These seem a bit like what you would get if Garrison Keillor tried to write the Mitford series.
Elizabeth
Aug 10, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
6th in the Liturgical Mysteries series. This one features the Living Gobbler service - hilarious!
Becky Swanson
Jul 02, 2010 Becky Swanson rated it really liked it
The "mink" story line was hilarious. Especially when they... well, you'll have to read it yourself.
Josh Hamacher
Nov 01, 2010 Josh Hamacher rated it really liked it
Not as laugh-out-loud funny as the previous book in the series but still a fast, fun read.
Tracey
Apr 10, 2012 Tracey rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
The Minques (TM) are pretty hilarious.
Linda
Jul 04, 2009 Linda rated it really liked it
Funny like all the rest!
Martha
Jul 12, 2010 Martha rated it it was amazing
I really love these books!!!
Margaret
Good for a laugh.
David
David rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Carey Tynan
Carey Tynan marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Judith
Judith rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Emil Wright
Emil Wright rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2016
  • Rumpole and the Primrose Path
  • Blood in the Cotswolds (Thea Osborne, #5)
  • Spells & Stitches (Sugar Maple, #4)
  • God's Fool
  • The Last Word (A Books by the Bay Mystery #3)
  • Sinister Sprinkles (Donut Shop Mystery, #3)
  • The Tale of Hawthorn House (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #4)
  • A Provençal Mystery
  • Murder in Grub Street (Sir John Fielding, #2)
  • The Messengers of Death
  • Past Imperfect: A John McIntire Mystery
  • Simplifying the Soul: Lenten Practices to Renew Your Spirit (Ave Maria Press)
  • Chopin in Paris: The Life and Times of the Romantic Composer
  • Playing the Piano for Pleasure
  • A Timely Vision (A Missing Pieces Mystery #1)
  • Glenn Gould: A Life and Variations
  • Old Wounds (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #3)
  • Mourning Raga (Felse, #9)
420648
In 1974, Mark Schweizer, a brand-new high-school graduate decided to eschew the family architectural business and become an opera singer. Against all prevailing wisdom and despite jokes from his peers such as "What does the music major say after his first job interview?" (answer: You want fries with that?), he enrolled in the Music School at Stetson University. To his father, the rationale was obv ...more
More about Mark Schweizer...

The Liturgical Mystery (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Alto Wore Tweed (The Liturgical Mystery #1)
  • The Baritone Wore Chiffon (The Liturgical Mystery #2)
  • The Tenor Wore Tapshoes (The Liturgical Mystery #3)
  • The Soprano Wore Falsettos (The Liturgical Mystery #4)
  • The Bass Wore Scales (The Liturgical Mystery #5)
  • The Diva Wore Diamonds (The Liturgical Mystery #7)
  • The Organist Wore Pumps (The Liturgical Mystery #8)
  • The Countertenor Wore Garlic (The Liturgical Mystery #9)
  • The Christmas Cantata (The Liturgical Mysteries)
  • The Treble Wore Trouble

“she said in a voice so low it could have been wearing spike heels and still skittered under Dick Cheney’s credibility.” 1 likes
“the krummhorn has all the musical range and beauty of a piglet caught in a vacuum cleaner.” 0 likes