New and Selected Poems, 1974-1994

New and Selected Poems, 1974-1994

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  370 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Justly celebrated as one of our strongest poets, Stephen Dunn selects from his eight collections and presents sixteen new poems marked by the haunting "Snowmass Cycle."
Published May 17th 1995 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1994)

The Complete Poems by Emily DickinsonLeaves of Grass by Walt WhitmanThe Waste Land and Other Poems by T.S. EliotShakespeare's Sonnets by William ShakespeareAriel by Sylvia Plath
Best Poetry Books
103rd out of 1,306 books — 1,464 voters
A World of Verse by Christopher  ShieldsDead Horses by Joan ColbyThe Branch Will Not Break by James WrightAmerican Society by David ChorltonCollected Poems by Philip Larkin
Contemporary American Poetry
83rd out of 113 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

Doreen
Stephen Dunn's Different Hours is one of my favorite books of all time, a collection so gorgeous that, for once, I didn't quibble with the Pulitzer jury's decision to award it their poetry prize (though, tbh, I don't usually quibble with the poetry award. It's the fiction one that constantly rouses my ire.) Since then, I've compulsively collected his works when I've come across them. This volume was the first of his earlier poems that I've read, and... oh dear, how to put this. Let's just say th...more
Xe Sands
This is one of the most extraordinary collection of poetry I've ever come across. Dunn pulls no punches and offers no comfort along with his words, other than what is inherent in them and the experience itself.

Oh, and no rhyming. And I love him just *that* much more because of it.
Nathan
The reason I dropped out of the music business,
for five years,
and started writing poetry exclusively.

I'm now back to writing and performing music as well...

but, I've written a poem a day for the last thirteen years,
and this book is a huge part of the reason why...
Lucio
For those who were taught to fear poetry in highschool: Ol' Stevie gives it to you straight, pretty prosy, and sneaks a few gems the satchel when you're not looking. My anthem: "What They Wanted"
Julia
i am still "currently reading" this (not that i ever classified this in goodreads under "currently reading," because in a way one is always "currently reading" poetry, so i don't know, i just don't know) but i feel like i am able to "review" this anyway.
i am doing what my poetry teacher from camp last year said she always did with books of poetry; i've been flipping to random pages, reading backwards, reading forwards, reading in small sequences. i have read some poems in here five times, some p...more
nicebutnubbly
Sweetness

Just when it has seemed I couldn't bear
one more friend
waking with a tumor, one more maniac

with a perfect reason, often a sweetness
has come
and changed nothing in the world

except the way I stumbled through it,
for a while lost
in the ignorance of loving

someone or something, the world shrunk
to mouth-size,
hand-size, and never seeming small.

I acknowledge there is no sweetness
that doesn't leave a stain,
no sweetness that's ever sufficiently sweet...

Tonight a friend called to say his lover
w...more
James
Stephen Dunn's 2000 collection Different Hours won the Pulitizer Prize for poetry with good reason. This collection, gathering much of his work, prior to that time shows the development of one of our best contemporary poets. An amazing collection that brings the personal and philosophical together through beautiful language.
Tammy Marie Jacintho
I like to immerse myself in an artist's work. It's always best to read three or four books by the same author at the same time. This way, one becomes comfortable with a particular vision or voice. Reading all of Charles Dickens or all of Jane Austen is thrilling because their worlds become yours, and for a little while, at least, the small island of familiarity these words create are relatives-- a kind of warmth overtakes you-- and these words of brilliance have a way of codling the self unlike...more
Jason
I stand in awe of the artistry of Stephen Dunn. His poems enlighten with truth and humor. I have many favorites in this bulky collection, most of which come from his earlier work. The new poems in this collection didn't stand out to me. Favorite poems include:

The Woman with Five Hearts, Decorum, Biography in the First Person, How to Be Happy, A Primer for Swimming at Black Point, The Photograph Album, In a Dream of Horses, The Worrier, The Routine Things Around the House, Eggs, At the Smithville...more
Lisa
I'd give it 4.5 stars if I could. Dunn's meditative poems (often narrative, though sometimes lyric) are ones I could read again and again. It took me a few months to finish this book because I wanted to savor it, so I allowed myself a few poems each night before I went to bed. It's a book I want to loan out to friends to read--but I won't be able to for awhile because I have to have it close by, just in case.
Tracy O
Sep 02, 2007 Tracy O rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Even Those Who Think They Cannot Like Poetry
Shelves: poetry
I didn't love all of the poems in this book (that's reserved for the land of Li Young Lee and Naomi Shihab Nye I think), BUT the poems I liked, I really liked. "Mon Semblable," "From the Manifesto of the Selfish," and "A Secret Life," are my favorites.

"Each From Different Heights," I liked if only for the line, "I'm astounded by the various types of kisses we're capable of."

Melanie Faith
Every now and again I run across a poetry book at random that fits. This book, today, is it. :) Beautiful and varied narrative poems. My favorites, so far, are: "Urgencies," "Mon Semblable," "Loveliness," and "Each from Different Heights." I'd not read much Steven Dunn, but I'm enjoying many of these. Writing again, too--which is always a good test of a work for me.
Elizabeth
On a sunny day last summer, lying on a picnic blanket after a bunch of us went skinny dipping in Bass Lake, people took turns reading Dunn's amazing poems. What a perfect introduction to a brilliant poet! "In France, where life and theory / touch now and then, / I don't doubt your pleasures. But here / there's room enough for incorrect / behavior, which some of us plan on."
Lindsey
break my heart, then rebuild it right back up. i wrote a research paper on stephen dunn in college and haven't REALLY revisited his work since then (uhh, seven years ago?) and it's startling and comforting to experience these poems as a married almost-thirty-year-old as opposed to a wanderlusty drunk twentysomething jesus-loving college student. transcendent.
Clara Fang
So accessable and organic, you feel like its almost easy what he does until you realize the profound insights in his poems. His poems show the depth of his compassion, love for the simple things in life. His poems are redemptive.
Mark
I can return to Dunn's poems again and again, and find something poignant and new and meditative. I adore his style, especially the spare, bare-bones poetry that selects each word with razor precision.
Sharon
Bought this book last weekend and swept throught it. Dunn helps me "see" again. He moves from detail into a couple of profound (or surprise) statements per poem. I like him.
Kat Stromquist
Stephen Dunn is my favorite poet. I recommend him even if you aren't interested in poetry - his work is highly accessible, tuneful and melancholy.

Free/blank verse.
Sara Willis
Dec 02, 2007 Sara Willis rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who enjoy being alive
You were passionate so we could be interested
You noticed things so we could wonder
You wrote so we could breathe

Nina
The poems in this collection span 20 years of Dunn's work. I preferred the newer work. It's a good sampling if you aren't overly familiar with Dunn.
Alix
I was not sure which shelf to put this one on. I have read most of the poems by now, and yet I continue to be reading it and wanting to read it.
Annemarlene Risch
One of the few contemporary poets I can stand. Not everything is breathtaking, but a lot of it is. very approachable and gripping.
Linda
some beautiful poems here but i just find some a bit annoying. beautiful women. sister. i don't know, his views on women just bother me.
Dayna Lorentz
Nov 03, 2007 Dayna Lorentz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: mustreads
I am not a poetry person, but this man's poetry is so accessible and lucid. He always hits the emotional nail right on the head.
Christie
My most favorite book of ALL TIME. If my home was burning down, I'd run back in to save this one.

READ THIS NOW.
In poetry club in college, this book was our bible. I think we read "Decorum" every time we met.
Megan
He is one of my favorite poets of all time. He's accessible, but he's not simple.
Gary McDowell
One of the first big-name poets I loved. I still think he's awesome.
Rebecca N. McKinnon
My favorite poetry book of all time.
josaleeni
I fell in love with this book of poems.
  • The Branch Will Not Break
  • The City in Which I Love You
  • The Country Between Us
  • The Tunnel: Selected Poems
  • Selected Poems
Stephen Dunn was born in New York City in 1939. He earned a B.A. in history and English from Hofstra University, attended the New School Writing Workshops, and finished his M.A. in creative writing at Syracuse University. Dunn has worked as a professional basketball player, an advertising copywriter, and an editor, as well as a professor of creative writing.

Dunn's books of poetry include Everythin...more
More about Stephen Dunn...
Different Hours Between Angels The Insistence of Beauty What Goes On: Selected and New Poems, 1995-2009 Loosestrife

“Now and again I feel the astonishment of being alive like this, in this body.” 12 likes