Start by marking “Styx and Stones (Daisy Dalrymple, #7)” as Want to Read:
Styx and Stones (Daisy Dalrymple, #7)

Styx and Stones (Daisy Dalrymple #7)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  964 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Daisy Dalrymple, accompanied by fiancé Detective Inspector Alec Fletcher, is asked by her brother-in-law to discreetly investigate poison pen letters for local villagers. When the pompous unbearable brother of the local vicar is killed by a stone dropped on his head, gossip has escalated to murder.
Published June 1st 2006 by Kensington (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Styx and Stones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Styx and Stones

Daisy Dalrymple, a well-bred, earnest, and deeply inquisitive journalist in the 1930s, has discovered yet another mystery. People in her sister's village have been getting cruel anonymous notes about their secret foibles*. People get increasingly tense, until at last, someone is killed. Daisy and her fiancee Alec, a Scotland Yard Inspector, investigate.

I liked this book a bit better than the last few in the Dalrymple series. All the suspects are interesting, and Dunn is good at creating the cos
Even though this looked like a book I try to avoid, I actually liked this more than I thought I would. It was a fun and enjoyable read. This is the 7th book in the Daisy Dalrymple series. I look forward to reading more.

What I liked the most, was the dialog. It was well done. It sounded prim and proper, but it wasn't stiff. I also appreciated Daisy. Her strength was charming and she was capable of carrying the whole story.
I like Daisy Dalrymple. In this installment, she is asked by her brother in law to come and visit Kent and to help investigate the series of poison pen letters that he has been receiving. Daisy takes along Belinda, Alec Fletcher's daughter, and begins to look into the letters but soon finds that there are many more people receiving letters than she originally knew. When the local vicar's brother is killed (and discovered by Daisy) she and Alec begin to uncover all the dirty little secrets in the ...more
As with the other books in this series, it's a simple mystery, with no great depths of character or intrigue. But it was a fun listen when occupied with housework or travelling - I find that I don't want them too complex when doing other things, or I miss key points as I get distracted.

Not my favourite cozy mystery series, but it generates some interest because of its setting in he 1920s.
This installment of the Daisy Dalrymple series was much better than the last. Although the setup was a bit wierd (Daisy's brother-in-law asks her to help him find who has been sending him letters accusing him of adultery), the whole story flowed much better than in the previous book, Dead in the Water. This book concentrates a lot of Daisy's relationship with Alec's daughter, Belinda, and those scenes add depth to both characters.

Overall, I think these books are just a little too short. If they
Daisy Dalrymple is rather surprised when her brother in law, Lord John Frobisher, begs her to come down to the country to solve a spate of poison pen letters that he fears will reveal a shameful secret of his to his pregant wife, Daisy's sister. Although she's not sure how to go about solving the problem, Daisy takes the opportunity to bring her fiance's daughter, Belinda, to John's manor house for a country vacation with her soon-to-be-cousin Derek. Daisy starts talking to the local people, but ...more
Stevie Carroll
I love Daisy, but this wasn't my favourite of her adventures. Too much of the solutions to the two main mysteries seemed to rely on luck rather than deduction, and the romantic subplot also got resolved too easily. Hopefully the series will pick up again with the next book.
Daisy's brother in law is getting nasty letters about a one time indiscretion years ago and asks Daisy to figure out who the writer is. He suggests she comes down to the country house and to bring along Belinda to avoid summer heat. Daisy quickly discovers that others are getting similar letters and starts suspecting several senders. When a body is found murdered in the churchyard Alec gets involved albeit informally. Alec is livid that knowing she was poking around in upsetting subjects that sh ...more
Kaitlyn Dunnett
A bit of a letdown after the last one, which I thought was excellent. No specific complaint, except that the ending was a bit flat. One interesting aspect of this one was that Alec was on the scene unofficially and without Sgt. Tring and Ernie Piper. Was Daisy more impulsive than usual? I'm not sure. The downside of rereading one book after another in a series is that odd little things I didn't notice when I read the books a year apart suddenly stand out. That can be both good and bad. Overall, ...more
This was a fun read.
Lori McD
Interesting book... so much happens so quickly, I had finished the book after feeling as if I'd just begun. Detective Chief Inspector Alec Fletcher & daughter Belinda are featured, as well as Daisy's sister Violet, BIL John, & nephew Dereck.

Lord John (BIL) has been receiving poison pen letters. Seems Johnnie had a one-night stand years ago when he just returned from WW1, injured & depressed. Violet has no idea, and John wants to keep it that way. So far, no blackmail has come into pl
Nancy Reynolds
This one was a little different. We're getting to meet more of Daisy's family. Daisy goes to stay with her sister and investigate on her own as a favor to her sister's husband. We get to spend some more time with Alec's daughter, Belinda. And there is even a tiff between Alec and Daisy. Wow. Lots of goings on in the village where her sister lives. (Isn't there goings on wherever people live?) I really enjoyed this one. It was a fast read. And now I'm on to the next one. What fun!!!!
While staying with her sister and brother-in-law, Daisy tries to discover the author of poison pen notes that are being received by the villagers. After she discovers a body, her fiance, Detective Inspector Alec Fletcher comes to stay with her and is drawn in to the case by the local officers. Suspects are those who may have been receiving the poison pen letters and the victim may have been the poison pen....or maybe not.

This story was somewhat slow paced. The solution was not reached in a very
Wiebke Kuhn
A pleasant surprise -- set in the 1920s, the story focuses on a single woman, a writer, who stumbles over murders. This time, anonymous letters in a small village are the starting point. I like the way the story draws on particulars from that time period, incorporates the language, and, while humorous, still touches on such serious topics as the effect of WWI on the British population.
Another excellent entry in the Daisy Dalrymple mystery series! This is the 14th book in this series that I have read.Ms. Dunn does an excellent job in capturing what the the world was like, and England in particular, after World War One.In addition to the mysteries, there is a continuing cast of characters whose relationships add to the stories. Three cheers and four stars for Carola Dunn!!
Another spiffing, to use the contemporary slang, mystery featuring the Honourable Daisy Dalyrmple. Daisy is asked by her brother-in-law to visit them in their country home and secretly investigate some poison pen letters he had been receiving. She must keep it a secret because the contents of the letter could hurt her sister irreparably.

She travels to Kent with her soon to be stepdaughter to enjoy the countryside and find out who the vile writer is. Unfortunately, there is a murder before she ca
Set in the 1920s Daisy Dalrymple, who is engaged to Scotland Yard Inspector Alec Fletcher, is asked by her brother-in-law to discreetly investigate a series of poisoned pen letters that many of the local villagers including himself have been receiving. She travels to Kent with her soon to be stepdaughter to enjoy the countryside and find out who the writer is. Unfortunately before she can solve the mystery the brother of the local vicar is murdered. There are plenty of suspects. Daisy is a perso ...more
Hilary Tesh
Nasty anonymous letters and an unexpected murder (of possibly the most promising character?) in the village home of Daisy's sister and her family. Started well, but ended up rather washy-washy. Too many confessions and leaps of faith perhaps. (along with the host of stereotypical characters you'd expect in a Daisy D book!)
The crime aspects of this story were well enough. The problem is the way Dunn has been developing (or rather, only barely developing) Daisy and Jack's relationship. They have a huge fight mid-story, one that warrants pages spent on the fight, and later the make-up.
Laura Edwards
This one moved a little slowly at first and I would have liked to see more interaction between Daisy and her sister. The reasons this is my lowest rating of the Daisy Dalrymple books so far. But once the pace picked up it was "spiffing".
The seventh mystery in the Daisy Dalrymple series allows readers to spend several days with Daisy’s sister and her family, who seldom appear in the series, in a small English village that is more comfortable with Victorian beliefs and manners. Vi, the sister, is an interesting contrast to Daisy, content in her traditional role of 19th century wife and mother as opposed to Daisy’s independent thinking. Traveling with her soon-to-be stepdaughter, Daisy balances her time between encouraging Belinda ...more
Judy Tate
Deliciously done. Poison Pen letters are always good for a detective story. You learn all of the terrible secrets, and the vicious gossip; which is the most circulated. I enjoyed the byplay between Alec and Daisy, and Belinda's attachment to Daisy. Don't want to spoil it for those reading it, so I'll close off.
I want to give this 3 and a half stars really. It's a much better read than the previous two books in the series, but still not as good as the earliest few instalments. I didn't actually guess whodunnit in this story, which I was delighted about!
Michelle Johnston
I listened to this as an audiobook and the story was okay, but the narrator mispronounced so many words that it was ridiculous. I hope she gets a different narrator for future books.
Alan Leach
Carola Dunn,s Daisy Dalrymple Series of crime books based in the 1920's make for a nice relaxing read you could let your Granny read
Daisy Dalrymple's brother-in-law has been receiving poison pen letters. He asks Daisy to look into it on the quiet because the information is factual. It seems everyone in the village is victimized this way, so which one wields the venomous plume? Daisy does her best to keep the matter quiet until the situation turns to murder.
The poison pen part of the mystery was slow and uninteresting, so it seems things didn't get moving until the murder. Then it just wasn't realistic with Daisy trundling a
Daisy is at it again. Visiting her sister and brother-i-law in Kent she uncovers a hot-bed of poison pen letters but who is responsible. And who are all the people receiving them?

She begins to investigate, even though she is on holiday, but when a murder is committed, the local police are called in.

Then Daisy discovers that her fiance, Alec Fletcher, a Scotland Yard detective, is also called to the scene and the investigation takes on a much more serious aspect.

Styx and stones can break your bon
Jan C
These aren't great stories, but they are interesting.

They take place between the wars so there are alwats references to WWI because everyone was in it or was close to someone who was in it.

Here, Daisy is invited by her brother-in-law to find out who is writing him "poison pen" letters. I guess her sister Violet had told how she had helped her boyfriend, the Scotland Yard man, solve some murders.

So she goes to visit Lord and Lady John and takes Belinda, her future step-daughter, and just goes aro
Only ok. A ridiculous fight scene brings it down. Kind of lame mystery to boot.
  • Murder in the Dark (Phryne Fisher, #16)
  • The Affair of the Mutilated Mink (Burford Family Mysteries, #2)
  • Death at Blenheim Palace (Kathryn Ardleigh, #11)
  • India Black in the City of Light (Madam of Espionage, #3.5)
  • The Glass House (Captain Lacey, #3)
  • Snobbery With Violence (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #1)
  • Murder on Black Friday (Gilded Age Mystery, #4)
  • The Young Widow (Phillip Bethancourt and Jack Gibbons Mysteries #1)
  • The Ivory Dagger (Miss Silver, #18)
Carola Dunn is the author of more than 30 Regency romances, as well as 16 mysteries (the Daisy Dalrymple mystery series is set in England in the 1920s). Ms. Dunn was born and grew up in England, where she got a B.A. in Russian and French from Manchester University. She travelled as far as Fiji before returning to settle in California. After 30 years in the US, she says she still sounds as if she a ...more
More about Carola Dunn...

Daisy Dalrymple (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple, #1)
  • The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2)
  • Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple, #3)
  • Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple, #4)
  • Damsel in Distress (Daisy Dalrymple, #5)
  • Dead in the Water (Daisy Dalrymple, #6)
  • Rattle His Bones (Daisy Dalrymple, #8)
  • To Davy Jones Below (Daisy Dalrymple, #9)
  • The Case of the Murdered Muckraker (Daisy Dalrymple, #10)
  • Mistletoe and Murder (Daisy Dalrymple, #11)