Start by marking “Styx and Stones (Daisy Dalrymple, #7)” as Want to Read:
Styx and Stones (Daisy Dalrymple, #7)

Styx and Stones (Daisy Dalrymple #7)

3.72  ·  Rating Details ·  1,339 Ratings  ·  94 Reviews
Daisy Dalrymple, accompanied by fiancé Detective Inspector Alec Fletcher, is asked by her brother-in-law to discreetly investigate poison pen letters for local villagers. When the pompous unbearable brother of the local vicar is killed by a stone dropped on his head, gossip has escalated to murder.
Published June 1st 2006 by Kensington (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Styx and Stones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Styx and Stones

Wealhtheow
Jun 14, 2010 Wealhtheow rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical
Daisy Dalrymple, a well-bred, earnest, and deeply inquisitive journalist in the 1930s, has discovered yet another mystery. People in her sister's village have been getting cruel anonymous notes about their secret foibles*. People get increasingly tense, until at last, someone is killed. Daisy and her fiancee Alec, a Scotland Yard Inspector, investigate.

I liked this book a bit better than the last few in the Dalrymple series. All the suspects are interesting, and Dunn is good at creating the cos
Donna
Mar 31, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
Even though this looked like a book I try to avoid, I actually liked this more than I thought I would. It was a fun and enjoyable read. This is the 7th book in the Daisy Dalrymple series. I look forward to reading more.

What I liked the most, was the dialog. It was well done. It sounded prim and proper, but it wasn't stiff. I also appreciated Daisy. Her strength was charming and she was capable of carrying the whole story.
Stevie Carroll
I love Daisy, but this wasn't my favourite of her adventures. Too much of the solutions to the two main mysteries seemed to rely on luck rather than deduction, and the romantic subplot also got resolved too easily. Hopefully the series will pick up again with the next book.
Cathy Cramer
Book 7. I am still enjoying these gentle Daisy Dalrymple mysteries. This one took place in an English village, reminiscent of a Miss Marple mystery from Christie, except the main character remained the lady with the sympathetic eyes that drew strangers to confide in her.

I enjoyed getting to meet Daisy's sister Violet and her family, as well as other characters from this village. Sometimes the gossipy old ladies got confusing, but I was able to tell them apart by going back and reminding myself w
Larraine
Aug 18, 2016 Larraine rated it liked it
This was a fun romp in the earlier Daisy Dalrymple books. I still have one more to catch up on the series, but I think I'm Daisied-out for a while. Still, this one was a lot of fun featuring a poison pen letter writer and a man found murdered in the village churchyard. When Daisy's brother-in-law asks her to investigate the poison pen letters he has been receiving, how can she resist. She had already promised to visit him and her sister and bring along Belinda, her stepdaughter-to-be. Once again ...more
Gloria
Apr 07, 2009 Gloria rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
This installment of the Daisy Dalrymple series was much better than the last. Although the setup was a bit wierd (Daisy's brother-in-law asks her to help him find who has been sending him letters accusing him of adultery), the whole story flowed much better than in the previous book, Dead in the Water. This book concentrates a lot of Daisy's relationship with Alec's daughter, Belinda, and those scenes add depth to both characters.

Overall, I think these books are just a little too short. If they
Ann
Aug 15, 2014 Ann rated it really liked it
I like Daisy Dalrymple. In this installment, she is asked by her brother in law to come and visit Kent and to help investigate the series of poison pen letters that he has been receiving. Daisy takes along Belinda, Alec Fletcher's daughter, and begins to look into the letters but soon finds that there are many more people receiving letters than she originally knew. When the local vicar's brother is killed (and discovered by Daisy) she and Alec begin to uncover all the dirty little secrets in the ...more
Deirdre
Aug 09, 2016 Deirdre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt like I missed part of the argument and making up but overall very enjoyable story of Daisy getting asked to look into poison pen letters and being drawn into murder, as usual. Interesting interactions between her, her sister and Alec and there was a hilarious conversation about his family where she was asked if he was from a particular family and for her to say that he was closer to Scotland, referencing Scotland Yard.
Shannon
Feb 20, 2015 Shannon rated it liked it
As with the other books in this series, it's a simple mystery, with no great depths of character or intrigue. But it was a fun listen when occupied with housework or travelling - I find that I don't want them too complex when doing other things, or I miss key points as I get distracted.

Not my favourite cozy mystery series, but it generates some interest because of its setting in he 1920s.
Melanie
Jan 07, 2014 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, hfu2014ba
This was a fun read.
Gayle Hemingway
Lesser efforts in the series

This is one of my least favorite books in the Daisy Dalrymple mystery series, but it's still a fun read.
Pat Beard
Dec 18, 2016 Pat Beard rated it really liked it
Good one.
Kathleen
Yay more Daisy Dalrymple books! I talked about the first five here.

So, just to recap: this is a cozy mystery series starring Daisy Dalrymple, a journalist and reluctant aristocrat, and her eventual husband Alec Fletcher, a Scotland Yard inspector. They fight crime, and also fall in love and have a very strong relationship, and fight with each other and make up (including one very frustrating moment, which we'll get to), and are generally very charming and sweet together. I love them.

Styx and Sto
Camilla Tilly
Since I am reading this series in order to follow the continuing story of the Honourable Daisy Dalrymple and Detective Alec Fletcher of Scotland Yard, I really liked that this book finally gives a closer look at Daisy's family. The story takes place in the little village of Rotherden where Daisy's sister, Lady Violet, lives with her WWI veteran husband and two sons. After loosing two babies, it's important to keep the pregnant Violet out of things when Lord John starts receiving poison pen lette ...more
Dec 11, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it
Sweet addition to the series, perfect for a long-haul flight. The attention to period detail is laudable, the story enriched for it. Dunn seems to enjoy herself immensely. Toodle-oo darling!
Rebecca
Oct 11, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Daisy Dalrymple is rather surprised when her brother in law, Lord John Frobisher, begs her to come down to the country to solve a spate of poison pen letters that he fears will reveal a shameful secret of his to his pregant wife, Daisy's sister. Although she's not sure how to go about solving the problem, Daisy takes the opportunity to bring her fiance's daughter, Belinda, to John's manor house for a country vacation with her soon-to-be-cousin Derek. Daisy starts talking to the local people, but ...more
Lori McD
Interesting book... so much happens so quickly, I had finished the book after feeling as if I'd just begun. Detective Chief Inspector Alec Fletcher & daughter Belinda are featured, as well as Daisy's sister Violet, BIL John, & nephew Dereck.

Lord John (BIL) has been receiving poison pen letters. Seems Johnnie had a one-night stand years ago when he just returned from WW1, injured & depressed. Violet has no idea, and John wants to keep it that way. So far, no blackmail has come into pl
Argum
Daisy's brother in law is getting nasty letters about a one time indiscretion years ago and asks Daisy to figure out who the writer is. He suggests she comes down to the country house and to bring along Belinda to avoid summer heat. Daisy quickly discovers that others are getting similar letters and starts suspecting several senders. When a body is found murdered in the churchyard Alec gets involved albeit informally. Alec is livid that knowing she was poking around in upsetting subjects that sh ...more
Gail
Sep 20, 2010 Gail rated it really liked it
Another spiffing, to use the contemporary slang, mystery featuring the Honourable Daisy Dalyrmple. Daisy is asked by her brother-in-law to visit them in their country home and secretly investigate some poison pen letters he had been receiving. She must keep it a secret because the contents of the letter could hurt her sister irreparably.

She travels to Kent with her soon to be stepdaughter to enjoy the countryside and find out who the vile writer is. Unfortunately, there is a murder before she ca
Ann
Jan 07, 2012 Ann rated it liked it
Set in the 1920s Daisy Dalrymple, who is engaged to Scotland Yard Inspector Alec Fletcher, is asked by her brother-in-law to discreetly investigate a series of poisoned pen letters that many of the local villagers including himself have been receiving. She travels to Kent with her soon to be stepdaughter to enjoy the countryside and find out who the writer is. Unfortunately before she can solve the mystery the brother of the local vicar is murdered. There are plenty of suspects. Daisy is a perso ...more
Kathleen
Jun 23, 2013 Kathleen rated it liked it
The seventh mystery in the Daisy Dalrymple series allows readers to spend several days with Daisy’s sister and her family, who seldom appear in the series, in a small English village that is more comfortable with Victorian beliefs and manners. Vi, the sister, is an interesting contrast to Daisy, content in her traditional role of 19th century wife and mother as opposed to Daisy’s independent thinking. Traveling with her soon-to-be stepdaughter, Daisy balances her time between encouraging Belinda ...more
Maggie Hesseling
Sep 11, 2016 Maggie Hesseling rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
A poison pen novel! Poison pens are fantastic reads, because anyone could have done it. And though I didn't see it coming, in hindsight I probably should have. Daisy's brother in law asks her to come down to help in discovering the poison pen but without Alec knowing. So she takes Belinda and hides it as a vacation away. But when Daisy discover's the Vicar's brother dead, Alec gets news of it and comes rushing down.

I wasn't as in love with this one as the others, mostly because Daisy seemed real
Marfita
May 29, 2012 Marfita rated it it was ok
Shelves: period-mystery
Daisy Dalrymple's brother-in-law has been receiving poison pen letters. He asks Daisy to look into it on the quiet because the information is factual. It seems everyone in the village is victimized this way, so which one wields the venomous plume? Daisy does her best to keep the matter quiet until the situation turns to murder.
The poison pen part of the mystery was slow and uninteresting, so it seems things didn't get moving until the murder. Then it just wasn't realistic with Daisy trundling a
Gerry
Oct 27, 2010 Gerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Daisy is at it again. Visiting her sister and brother-i-law in Kent she uncovers a hot-bed of poison pen letters but who is responsible. And who are all the people receiving them?

She begins to investigate, even though she is on holiday, but when a murder is committed, the local police are called in.

Then Daisy discovers that her fiance, Alec Fletcher, a Scotland Yard detective, is also called to the scene and the investigation takes on a much more serious aspect.

Styx and stones can break your bon
Kaitlyn Dunnett
Apr 23, 2015 Kaitlyn Dunnett rated it really liked it
A bit of a letdown after the last one, which I thought was excellent. No specific complaint, except that the ending was a bit flat. One interesting aspect of this one was that Alec was on the scene unofficially and without Sgt. Tring and Ernie Piper. Was Daisy more impulsive than usual? I'm not sure. The downside of rereading one book after another in a series is that odd little things I didn't notice when I read the books a year apart suddenly stand out. That can be both good and bad. Overall, ...more
Jan C
Jun 05, 2010 Jan C rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, england
These aren't great stories, but they are interesting.

They take place between the wars so there are alwats references to WWI because everyone was in it or was close to someone who was in it.

Here, Daisy is invited by her brother-in-law to find out who is writing him "poison pen" letters. I guess her sister Violet had told how she had helped her boyfriend, the Scotland Yard man, solve some murders.

So she goes to visit Lord and Lady John and takes Belinda, her future step-daughter, and just goes aro
Julie
May 11, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, british
While staying with her sister and brother-in-law, Daisy tries to discover the author of poison pen notes that are being received by the villagers. After she discovers a body, her fiance, Detective Inspector Alec Fletcher comes to stay with her and is drawn in to the case by the local officers. Suspects are those who may have been receiving the poison pen letters and the victim may have been the poison pen....or maybe not.

This story was somewhat slow paced. The solution was not reached in a very
Amy
Mar 05, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it
A solid entry in the series! I liked it, though I didn't ~love~ it. The mystery over all was solid and I liked seeing Daisy included and her abilities counted on and praised, which was nice in comparison to a lot of other mystery series where the lead has to forcefully butt in a lot more or work on her own. The only annoyance for me was the brief, over-done "fight" between Alec and Daisy. So unnecessarily dramatic of them! But they made up quickly, so I'm alright with it.
Joy
Jan 01, 2012 Joy rated it liked it
This was my first Daisy Dalrymple Mystery (on tape, again). I do like Daisy. It's a British series featuring Daisy, who has a history of getting involved in mysteries and solving them. She goes to Kent with her young step-daughter (to be) to help her brother-in-law identify a blackmailer.
There is the expected murder, which she helps solve with the help of her fiance, a Scotland Yard inspector who again bemoans her involvement in crimes. It was cute and sweet.
Olga Godim
May 07, 2012 Olga Godim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I can always rely on Daisy Dalrymple to be the heroine of an enjoyable book. Dunn writes with such panache as if she peeked into her chosen time and place, England in the 1920s, through some magical lens, and then told the story the way it should be told in the 21st century. The blend of cozy historical mystery, modern writer's skills, a charming protagonist, and faint nostalgia for the England long gone makes a very satisfying read.
  • Death at Blenheim Palace (Kathryn Ardleigh, #11)
  • India Black and the Shadows of Anarchy (Madam of Espionage Mystery, #3)
  • The Affair of the Mutilated Mink (Burford Family Mysteries, #2)
  • Murder in the Dark (Phryne Fisher, #16)
  • A Medal for Murder (Kate Shackleton, #2)
  • The Glass House (Captain Lacey, #3)
  • Treasure of the Golden Cheetah (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #5)
  • The Catherine Wheel (Miss Silver, #15)
  • The Young Widow (Phillip Bethancourt and Jack Gibbons Mysteries #1)
  • Murder In the North End (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #5)
Carola Dunn is the author of more than 30 Regency romances, as well as 16 mysteries (the Daisy Dalrymple mystery series is set in England in the 1920s). Ms. Dunn was born and grew up in England, where she got a B.A. in Russian and French from Manchester University. She travelled as far as Fiji before returning to settle in California. After 30 years in the US, she says she still sounds as if she a ...more
More about Carola Dunn...

Daisy Dalrymple (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple, #1)
  • The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2)
  • Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple, #3)
  • Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple, #4)
  • Damsel in Distress (Daisy Dalrymple, #5)
  • Dead in the Water (Daisy Dalrymple, #6)
  • Rattle His Bones (Daisy Dalrymple, #8)
  • To Davy Jones Below (Daisy Dalrymple, #9)
  • The Case of the Murdered Muckraker (Daisy Dalrymple, #10)
  • Mistletoe and Murder (Daisy Dalrymple, #11)