Start by marking “Pocket Full of Rain and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Pocket Full of Rain and Other Stories

Pocket Full of Rain and Other Stories

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  355 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
This multifaceted anthology—our 12th Jason graphic novel—wraps up Fantagraphics' near-complete collection of Jason's oeuvre (minus just a few pieces of juvenilia) by printing selections from Jason's early-1990s work, including his remarkable calling card, the novella-length thriller Pocket Full of Rain, which has never before been published in English.

Like a number of his
Published June 17th 2008 by Fantagraphics (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Pocket Full of Rain and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pocket Full of Rain and Other Stories

Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth by Chris WareAsterios Polyp by David MazzucchelliBuilding Stories by Chris WareThe Frank Book by Jim WoodringBlack Hole by Charles Burns
Best Art Comics of All Time
164th out of 271 books — 38 voters
Maus by Art SpiegelmanMouse Guard by David PetersenMaus II  by Art SpiegelmanBlacksad by Juan Díaz CanalesBlacksad by Juan Díaz Canales
Anthropomorphic Animal Comic Books
156th out of 158 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Anthony Vacca
Jul 23, 2014 Anthony Vacca rated it really liked it
Guaranteed to initially shock more seasoned fans of the misanthropic Norwegian doodler with its drawings depicting actual humans sans anthropomorphic features, this satisfying collection of Jason juvenilia gives a clue to the man of one name's development as a comic book stylist. From FlashGordonesque kitsch to surrealist noir, these one-shots show a plethora of influences, most telling of all that of Ernest Hemingway's. (No, that doesn't mean his comics read like the Great White Bwana's, you na ...more
Sam Quixote
Jul 21, 2013 Sam Quixote rated it it was amazing
One of the most interesting and original comics artists/writers of the last 10 years to emerge is the Scandinavian cartoonist Jason with his surreal, funny, and touching stories featuring strange animal-headed characters. But how does someone like this come to be? Well, "Pocket Full of Rain" is the pre-Jason, the book that features a number of early strips from the '90s where the artist would hone his craft and become the storyteller he is today.

It's odd to see human characters in Jason's books
Abby
Sep 02, 2008 Abby rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
Being a huge Jason fan, I was totally fascinated by this collection, which contains some of his earliest work (only now available in English). Maybe I'm just a nerd, but I always enjoy seeing an artist's progression and development over time. It is a bit weird to read these early comics, in which his drawing style sort of reminds me of Jason Lutes ("Jar of Fools" era) in an odd way. I didn't think I would like the stories that don't have his trademark animal characters with deadpan expressions - ...more
Joey Dhaumya
Oct 23, 2014 Joey Dhaumya rated it it was amazing
The titular story is possibly the greatest comic I have read so far. Incredible.
Leif
Feb 15, 2014 Leif rated it really liked it
If anything, I adored this collection of Jason's early stories for their variety and narrative complexity. The surrealist blend of the story that lends the collection its title, for example, is jarring but oddly brilliant, full of flourishes and moments of extra-rational delight and horror, sometimes at the same time. What grounds Jason's aesthetic is his mordant sense of life's excruciating mundanity (waiting at a bus stop, no bus comes; the many frames of characters simply sitting in booths ch ...more
Nathalie
Feb 10, 2013 Nathalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, man
La couverture est trompeuse, il s'agit en fait d'une compilation des premiers travaux publiés par Jason et, dans l'histoire-titre particulièrement, les dessins ont peu à voir avec les personnages naïfs au regard lunaire auxquels l'auteur nous a habitués par la suite. Il y est question d'amour, d'extra-terrestres, de culture pop ("Et si on tuait tout ceux qui préfèrent Sailor et Lula à Blue Velvet?"), de hold-up et de vengeance. C'est souvent absurde et franchement désabusé et déprimant.
Aaron
Apr 16, 2016 Aaron rated it liked it
This collection of Jason's early comics is most interesting as a look into his stylistic development as an author and artist. There's no doubt that his shift to anthropomorphic characters was a brilliant choice, as his human characters are too familiar to me, talking about Hemingway and drinking, going on noir adventures and talking about The Smiths with their girlfriends. This aside, the other elements of Jason's books are here: b-movie influence, surrealism that's at peace with the world it li ...more
Angélique Moreau
Mar 23, 2014 Angélique Moreau rated it it was amazing
This is pre-Jason. The first long story of his, with nearly all his recognizable characteristics, if not in place, then at least present.
There is an ostrich on the moon.
An alien robber wants the artist's autograph.
Her ex-boyfriend is a hitman.
The rain goes on falling.
Not all the characters are animal-like and there may be a little more dialogue than in (some) later works, but the absurdity of melancholy daily life suddenly disrupted by extravagant crime stories breaks through the page. It is rea
Jackson Nieuwland
Nov 01, 2011 Jackson Nieuwland rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
An extremely interesting collection for the fact that we get to see Jason draw actual human beings! However while his pictures of people are technically sound, they lack spark and come of as rather generic (the more simply drawn his characters become the more life they seem to have) despite the marvellous stories they are a part of. The title story takes up the first third of the collection and it is full of the things that I love Jason for (surrealism, humour, spare depiction of emotion) except ...more
Hamish
May 09, 2013 Hamish rated it liked it
So I guess this is the weak Jason book. Not that it's particularly weak, but it's a collection of his early stuff and it's not quite on the level of everything afterwards. For one thing, his art is a little rough and scratchy, which are not normally qualities you'd associate with Jason. Plus he draws...people. Like, human people. And they have facial expressions! It's surreal and strange. There are a few dog/cat/bird people like we've come to love, but even those don't quite look right. It's the ...more
Bryce Holt
Sep 06, 2011 Bryce Holt rated it it was ok
Normally by the third or fourth book, you get a fix on the author's process to story development, their character types and some of the purpose of their work. Jason, to this point, still confounds me. Yes, the characters are relatively the same piece-to-piece, but they are just all over the board. Sometime an idea seems totally new, and sometimes it is a straight rip from another author. All the while, I move from extreme focus and enjoyment of a piece to relative frustration and disappointment. ...more
Kate
Jun 25, 2011 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, humor
Jason tries several different styles of drawing and storytelling in this series of odd vignettes.

This book bounces from realism to cartoony. I think Jason was really trying to figure out his path in this collection. Seeing the process and the depth of his range of drawing skill was great. However, it wasn't overly consistent and I found that distracting. The realistic stuff is so-so, but the cartoonier stories really shine. I'm glad he found that and developed it in subsequent collections. This
Katie
Dec 30, 2012 Katie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Jason fans.
This was alright. I'm not super into graphic novels, and I picked this off the shelf at random based on the title. I didn't 'get it.' Jason seems to have a cult group of fans who adore him, but I can't quite see why. A lot of the vignettes in this book seem to go nowhere or have no point. For example, there was one 'story' of someone waiting at a bus stop. That was it. For like four pages it's just this character standing at a bus stop. He kicks a rock. A car drives by. Then it ends. Like I said ...more
Sonja
Jan 14, 2016 Sonja rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A nice story, but it didn't do much for me, especially since it was so short.
Brent Legault
Jul 31, 2008 Brent Legault rated it really liked it
Hodge-podge is a funny word. (Or hotch-potch if you're English.) So is potpourri! Goulash, now that's funny. Or what about (wait, I'm laughing already) what, what about salmagundi? Grab bag is two words that aren't exactly funny but they do rhyme and that's halfway to funny. Gallimaufry? Gallimaufry is a funny word I found on the internet. And this book is funny, too. It's weird-funny to see Jason draw human beings rather than human-like dogs and birds. And its funny-funny throughout. For the mo ...more
Tim
Jan 26, 2009 Tim rated it it was ok
I thought was a Jason book, but clearly there must be a different artist since all the people are lacking fur and beaks and have really small ears, oddly placed ears.

I prefer Jason's longer stories over his shorter ones. There are a few gems, but most of them just make me go "huh".

Kudos, though, on the zombie with a sign that says "DEAD" begging for money on a street corner. That would make a wonderful Halloween costume.
Kyle Wright
Feb 26, 2012 Kyle Wright rated it really liked it
An interesting look into the history of Jason's comic strips, it gives insight into the style that he would later develop as his signature. There are a lot of similar themes, humor, and homages that turn up in his later works. While I felt that, for the most part, the comics in this book don't live up to the quality of his later books, it was well worth a read if you are already a fan of Jason.
Paul
Oct 04, 2008 Paul rated it it was ok
By far my least favorite work from Jason, but as it is comprised of nothing but early work, I'm not going to hold it against him. If someone were to compile all my early works, the only possible name for the book would be "A Compendium of Writing That Will Make You Think the Author Should be Flipping Burgers."

Extra credit for Jason's Spacehawk parody, though.
Jake Forbes
Jun 09, 2010 Jake Forbes rated it liked it
The title story was my favorite, even if it was the least Jason-y in style. Most of the shorter gag comics were...cute, but I've come to expect so much from Jason, it's tough to go back and read his earlier works and not feel disappointed. Still, even if these stories are a mixed bag, its great to see where one of my favorite cartoonists started.
Allie
May 28, 2010 Allie rated it really liked it
This book was surprisingly brilliant. I wasn't expecting much from the illustrations, but it was so dark and clever that now I'll be seeking out Jason's other works. I love the child coming home to find a giant raven instead of a mother, the poor prisoner's problems with a cactus stalker, and the short vignettes on failed love.
Joe Decie
Jul 16, 2012 Joe Decie rated it liked it
I love Jason's books, he is a master of the short story. However, this collection of early works wasn't quite as enjoyable as his more recent stuff. Maybe it's because most of it wasn't drawn in his anthropomorphic clear line style which I really like. Do buy the book, but buy his other stuff first.
Melissa
Sep 06, 2011 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
A collection of Norwegian comic artist Jason's earlier works. Its nice to see how he started, but I liked it pretty much as well as I like his other stuff. Which is to say - Like it, not love it. But it is nice to see how he develops his smooth clean lines and minimal faces.
Richard
Aug 26, 2008 Richard rated it liked it
I'd recommend this for fans of Jason, but it is not a good entry point to his comics. As a fan it is really cool to see him experiment with different styles so much in his early work and see his themes develop. Plus it is weird to see him draw realistic people.
Monica
Mar 27, 2009 Monica rated it really liked it
This collects a lot of Jason's early work, including some pieces (arcs? shorts?) not featuring anthropomorphized dogs/crows/cats. Because it is a collection it is a little uneven, but there is still a lot of awesomeness to be found here. It is Jason after all.
Brian Stillman
Jan 27, 2009 Brian Stillman rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, read-2009
The introducer mentions Kill The Cat as the best story. And I'll be damned if it isn't. The entire last section is amazing, this on top of an already cool stroll through Jason's earlier efforts.
Bri
Dec 16, 2012 Bri rated it it was ok
It was fun seeing him experiment with different art, but I definitely like the animal characters best. I really enjoy his artwork, but I just haven't really liked the stories themselves very much.
Meg
Jan 11, 2009 Meg rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
Random, with some pieces better than others. For example, the short page on solitaire is hilarious because of its simplicity, while the first story is so eclectic that it's difficult to digest.
Mary
May 06, 2011 Mary rated it liked it
This is a collection of short stories, not really a graphic novel over all. Since I was not familiar with Jason's work prior to reading this, I suppose I didn't really get it.
Will
Apr 28, 2009 Will rated it liked it
Shelves: graphica
Interesting for those who want to see Jason's early work. He's a mad-awesome cartoonist, but I started with the animal-headed people and like those yarns the best.
Christopher
Feb 07, 2012 Christopher rated it it was amazing
Not his best work, and really not worthy of a 5 star, but.... Jason is a comic genius and these are the works he cut that genius on. Possibly the best thing going today.
  • Isle of 100,000 Graves
  • Ganges #1
  • Good-Bye
  • Essex County Vol. 2: Ghost Stories (Essex County, #2)
  • The Clouds Above
  • The Acme Novelty Library #18
  • Clyde Fans, Book 1
  • Desolation Jones: Made in England
  • The Fate of the Artist
  • El Diablo
  • Why I Hate Saturn
  • RASL, Vol. 1: The Drift (RASL, #1)
  • Sloth
  • Tumor
  • Big Baby
  • Wilson
  • Let Us Be Perfectly Clear
  • Misery Loves Comedy
There are multiple authors with this single name, but Goodreads is unable to differentiate between them. The most prominent is the author below.

John Arne Sæterøy (born 16 May 1965 in Molde), better known by the pen name Jason, is a Norwegian cartoonist, known for his sparse drawing style and silent, anthropomorphic animal characters.

He has been nominated for two Ignatz Awards (2000: Outstanding St