Start by marking “Pocket Full of Rain and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Pocket Full of Rain and Other Stories

Pocket Full of Rain and Other Stories

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  322 ratings  ·  37 reviews
This multifaceted anthology—our 12th Jason graphic novel—wraps up Fantagraphics' near-complete collection of Jason's oeuvre (minus just a few pieces of juvenilia) by printing selections from Jason's early-1990s work, including his remarkable calling card, the novella-length thriller Pocket Full of Rain, which has never before been published in English.

Like a number of his
Published June 17th 2008 by Fantagraphics (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Pocket Full of Rain and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pocket Full of Rain and Other Stories

Anthony Vacca
Guaranteed to initially shock more seasoned fans of the misanthropic Norwegian doodler with its drawings depicting actual humans sans anthropomorphic features, this satisfying collection of Jason juvenilia gives a clue to the man of one name's development as a comic book stylist. From FlashGordonesque kitsch to surrealist noir, these one-shots show a plethora of influences, most telling of all that of Ernest Hemingway's. (No, that doesn't mean his comics read like the Great White Bwana's, you na ...more
Sam Quixote
One of the most interesting and original comics artists/writers of the last 10 years to emerge is the Scandinavian cartoonist Jason with his surreal, funny, and touching stories featuring strange animal-headed characters. But how does someone like this come to be? Well, "Pocket Full of Rain" is the pre-Jason, the book that features a number of early strips from the '90s where the artist would hone his craft and become the storyteller he is today.

It's odd to see human characters in Jason's books
Abby
Sep 02, 2008 Abby rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comix
Being a huge Jason fan, I was totally fascinated by this collection, which contains some of his earliest work (only now available in English). Maybe I'm just a nerd, but I always enjoy seeing an artist's progression and development over time. It is a bit weird to read these early comics, in which his drawing style sort of reminds me of Jason Lutes ("Jar of Fools" era) in an odd way. I didn't think I would like the stories that don't have his trademark animal characters with deadpan expressions - ...more
Joey Dhaumya
The titular story is possibly the greatest comic I have read so far. Incredible.
Leif
If anything, I adored this collection of Jason's early stories for their variety and narrative complexity. The surrealist blend of the story that lends the collection its title, for example, is jarring but oddly brilliant, full of flourishes and moments of extra-rational delight and horror, sometimes at the same time. What grounds Jason's aesthetic is his mordant sense of life's excruciating mundanity (waiting at a bus stop, no bus comes; the many frames of characters simply sitting in booths ch ...more
Nathalie
La couverture est trompeuse, il s'agit en fait d'une compilation des premiers travaux publiés par Jason et, dans l'histoire-titre particulièrement, les dessins ont peu à voir avec les personnages naïfs au regard lunaire auxquels l'auteur nous a habitués par la suite. Il y est question d'amour, d'extra-terrestres, de culture pop ("Et si on tuait tout ceux qui préfèrent Sailor et Lula à Blue Velvet?"), de hold-up et de vengeance. C'est souvent absurde et franchement désabusé et déprimant.
Angélique Moreau
This is pre-Jason. The first long story of his, with nearly all his recognizable characteristics, if not in place, then at least present.
There is an ostrich on the moon.
An alien robber wants the artist's autograph.
Her ex-boyfriend is a hitman.
The rain goes on falling.
Not all the characters are animal-like and there may be a little more dialogue than in (some) later works, but the absurdity of melancholy daily life suddenly disrupted by extravagant crime stories breaks through the page. It is rea
Jackson Nieuwland
An extremely interesting collection for the fact that we get to see Jason draw actual human beings! However while his pictures of people are technically sound, they lack spark and come of as rather generic (the more simply drawn his characters become the more life they seem to have) despite the marvellous stories they are a part of. The title story takes up the first third of the collection and it is full of the things that I love Jason for (surrealism, humour, spare depiction of emotion) except ...more
Hamish
So I guess this is the weak Jason book. Not that it's particularly weak, but it's a collection of his early stuff and it's not quite on the level of everything afterwards. For one thing, his art is a little rough and scratchy, which are not normally qualities you'd associate with Jason. Plus he draws...people. Like, human people. And they have facial expressions! It's surreal and strange. There are a few dog/cat/bird people like we've come to love, but even those don't quite look right. It's the ...more
Bryce Holt
Normally by the third or fourth book, you get a fix on the author's process to story development, their character types and some of the purpose of their work. Jason, to this point, still confounds me. Yes, the characters are relatively the same piece-to-piece, but they are just all over the board. Sometime an idea seems totally new, and sometimes it is a straight rip from another author. All the while, I move from extreme focus and enjoyment of a piece to relative frustration and disappointment. ...more
Kate
Jason tries several different styles of drawing and storytelling in this series of odd vignettes.

This book bounces from realism to cartoony. I think Jason was really trying to figure out his path in this collection. Seeing the process and the depth of his range of drawing skill was great. However, it wasn't overly consistent and I found that distracting. The realistic stuff is so-so, but the cartoonier stories really shine. I'm glad he found that and developed it in subsequent collections. This
Katie
Dec 30, 2012 Katie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jason fans.
This was alright. I'm not super into graphic novels, and I picked this off the shelf at random based on the title. I didn't 'get it.' Jason seems to have a cult group of fans who adore him, but I can't quite see why. A lot of the vignettes in this book seem to go nowhere or have no point. For example, there was one 'story' of someone waiting at a bus stop. That was it. For like four pages it's just this character standing at a bus stop. He kicks a rock. A car drives by. Then it ends. Like I said ...more
Brent Legault
Hodge-podge is a funny word. (Or hotch-potch if you're English.) So is potpourri! Goulash, now that's funny. Or what about (wait, I'm laughing already) what, what about salmagundi? Grab bag is two words that aren't exactly funny but they do rhyme and that's halfway to funny. Gallimaufry? Gallimaufry is a funny word I found on the internet. And this book is funny, too. It's weird-funny to see Jason draw human beings rather than human-like dogs and birds. And its funny-funny throughout. For the mo ...more
Tim
I thought was a Jason book, but clearly there must be a different artist since all the people are lacking fur and beaks and have really small ears, oddly placed ears.

I prefer Jason's longer stories over his shorter ones. There are a few gems, but most of them just make me go "huh".

Kudos, though, on the zombie with a sign that says "DEAD" begging for money on a street corner. That would make a wonderful Halloween costume.
Kyle Wright
An interesting look into the history of Jason's comic strips, it gives insight into the style that he would later develop as his signature. There are a lot of similar themes, humor, and homages that turn up in his later works. While I felt that, for the most part, the comics in this book don't live up to the quality of his later books, it was well worth a read if you are already a fan of Jason.
Paul
By far my least favorite work from Jason, but as it is comprised of nothing but early work, I'm not going to hold it against him. If someone were to compile all my early works, the only possible name for the book would be "A Compendium of Writing That Will Make You Think the Author Should be Flipping Burgers."

Extra credit for Jason's Spacehawk parody, though.
Jake Forbes
The title story was my favorite, even if it was the least Jason-y in style. Most of the shorter gag comics were...cute, but I've come to expect so much from Jason, it's tough to go back and read his earlier works and not feel disappointed. Still, even if these stories are a mixed bag, its great to see where one of my favorite cartoonists started.
Allie
This book was surprisingly brilliant. I wasn't expecting much from the illustrations, but it was so dark and clever that now I'll be seeking out Jason's other works. I love the child coming home to find a giant raven instead of a mother, the poor prisoner's problems with a cactus stalker, and the short vignettes on failed love.
Joe Decie
I love Jason's books, he is a master of the short story. However, this collection of early works wasn't quite as enjoyable as his more recent stuff. Maybe it's because most of it wasn't drawn in his anthropomorphic clear line style which I really like. Do buy the book, but buy his other stuff first.
Melissa
A collection of Norwegian comic artist Jason's earlier works. Its nice to see how he started, but I liked it pretty much as well as I like his other stuff. Which is to say - Like it, not love it. But it is nice to see how he develops his smooth clean lines and minimal faces.
Richard
I'd recommend this for fans of Jason, but it is not a good entry point to his comics. As a fan it is really cool to see him experiment with different styles so much in his early work and see his themes develop. Plus it is weird to see him draw realistic people.
Monica
This collects a lot of Jason's early work, including some pieces (arcs? shorts?) not featuring anthropomorphized dogs/crows/cats. Because it is a collection it is a little uneven, but there is still a lot of awesomeness to be found here. It is Jason after all.
Brian
The introducer mentions Kill The Cat as the best story. And I'll be damned if it isn't. The entire last section is amazing, this on top of an already cool stroll through Jason's earlier efforts.
Bri
It was fun seeing him experiment with different art, but I definitely like the animal characters best. I really enjoy his artwork, but I just haven't really liked the stories themselves very much.
Meg
Random, with some pieces better than others. For example, the short page on solitaire is hilarious because of its simplicity, while the first story is so eclectic that it's difficult to digest.
Mary
This is a collection of short stories, not really a graphic novel over all. Since I was not familiar with Jason's work prior to reading this, I suppose I didn't really get it.
Will
Interesting for those who want to see Jason's early work. He's a mad-awesome cartoonist, but I started with the animal-headed people and like those yarns the best.
Christopher
Not his best work, and really not worthy of a 5 star, but.... Jason is a comic genius and these are the works he cut that genius on. Possibly the best thing going today.
M.
Nov 24, 2008 M. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2008, comix
There's an awkward moment where autobiographical Jason reacts really weirdly to being asked if he's gay, which was almost offensive, but then I got over it.
John
More great work from Jason. It's all early work from a decade ago, so his artwork is still developing, but his storytelling still shines.
  • Isle of 100,000 Graves
  • Good-Bye
  • The Acme Novelty Library #18
  • The Clouds Above
  • Clyde Fans, Book 1
  • Desolation Jones: Made in England
  • Sloth
  • Essex County Vol. 2: Ghost Stories (Essex County, #2)
  • Ganges #1
  • Wilson
  • West Coast Blues
  • The Hidden
  • RASL, Vol. 1: The Drift (RASL, #1)
  • Four Color Fear: Forgotten Horror Comics of the 1950s
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 12: Dirty
  • Criminal, Vol. 6: The Last of the Innocent
John Arne Sæterøy (born 16 May 1965 in Molde), better known by the pen name Jason, is a Norwegian cartoonist, known for his sparse drawing style and silent, anthropomorphic animal characters.

He has been nominated for two Ignatz Awards (2000: Outstanding Story and Outstanding Series, 2001: Outstanding Story and Outstanding Series), has received praise in Time, and won the Harvey Award for best new
More about Jason...
I Killed Adolf Hitler Hey, Wait... Low Moon Why Are You Doing This? The Left Bank Gang