Start by marking “Silk Road Cooking: A Vegetarian Journey” as Want to Read:
Silk Road Cooking: A Vegetarian Journey

Silk Road Cooking: A Vegetarian Journey

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  18 reviews
This book is at once an exploration, a celebration, and a little-known tale of unity. It presents 150 delicious vegetarian dishes that together trace a fascinating story of culinary linkage. As renowned cookbook writer and teacher Najmieh Batmanglij explains, all have their origins along the ancient network of trade routes known as the Silk Road, stretching from China in t ...more
Published August 1st 2004 by Mage Publishers (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Silk Road Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silk Road Cooking

Katie
A while ago Mum and I got enthusiastic about cookie stamps. The inspiration was a recipe in Silk Road Cooking - a book that I’ve borrowed from the library, given to Mum, and currently have on order for myself. The recipe in Silk Road Cooking (if I remember correctly) is for Date and Walnut Scones (or something similar). It’s basically these little pillow-like cookies, stuffed with a date and walnut - kind of like a Fig Newton. Really, the thing that’s most appealing about these cookie/scones, is ...more
Lori
Received as a Christmas gift last year, this tasty exploration of vegetarian dishes inspired by one of my favorite historical phenomenas delivers on variety and inventiveness. So far the Central Asian and Middle Eastern dishes are definite strengths, compared to the weak South Asian dishes (particularly Indian braises) which capture the spirit but rely too heavily on turmeric.

If you're looking to enliven a geographically uninterested palate, seek out this text. Again, the Central Asian dishes w
Jafumbwa Asad
This book highlights the recipes and foods (sans meat) used along the silk road.
FiveFlavours
I love, love, love this book! I got it from the library and I fear that I will soon be paying overdue fees as I can't bear to part with it. So far I've made a palow that was absolutely delicious, and I've got my eye on many more recipes. I am fascinated with Central Asia and I really loved the travelogue/ anthropological viewpoint of the book. Plus the author has filled it with delicious stories and quotes from Rumi. I agree with the other poster who said she'd spent more time reading it than co ...more
Shantiwallah
Nov 21, 2010 Shantiwallah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: travellers who love exploring new foods right in their own home
Shelves: food, food-asia
I had to buy this book. This cookbook is amazing. I saw a recipe for rice with coconut and tamarind, except my tamarind was dry in pods, so I flipped back to the reference/glossary section and sure enough, she explains how to make your own tamarind paste. It was much easier and quicker than I thought it would be, and of course the results were delicious. Everything else I tried has been great, too.
louisa
Great birthday gift from last year from bookish. Oh how I love this book. I admit I read it more than I cook from it, but everything I've made, I've loved. Batmanglij is also the author of the cookbook that led me to realize that Persian food is the perfect food for my palate.
Michelle
This is a gorgeous book with stories of travel, beautiful photos and delicious recipes. I have purchased this book many times for newly married friends or friends who love to cook. I receive loads of compliments every time I serve a recipe from this book. Yum!
Jane
This cookbook is awesome. I might have to buy it! Things I made (and loved):

-Chinese Noodle Salad
-Sichuan Toasted Sesame & Cabbage Salad
-Baba Ganoush
-Georgian Pilaf with Tart Cherries
-Persian Pistachio Cake
Susie
i want to love everything there is in this book, but i think you might actually have to travel the silk road to gather many of the crucial ingredients. as a result, i've yet to use it, but it's well-put together.
Hester
This books is so much more than a cookbook. It opened up a whole world to me, and taught me a little about Central Asia. The photography is stunning, illustrating both the food and the world that created it.
Tammy
This is a stunning book, excellent recipes, and beautiful to browse even if you never cook a thing from it! I usually look at it, then go out to a good Persian restaurant.
Kjersten
Delicious and informative a dleighful treat for both the sense and the imagination. We are not that different across this great globe as this cook book shows us.
Kit
Wonderful pictures and fantastic recipes! I loved reading the history of each item-and of the Silk Road.
Gail
Dec 02, 2009 Gail rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Suzanna
Shelves: food-and-cooking
This is my absolute favorite cookbook right now. Every recipe I've made from it has been a success.
Juliana
Gorgeous cookbook, although rather large, and the recipes aren't the easiest. Ah well, it's lovely.
Jen
Beautiful photos and good recipes.
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Geoffrey Staysniak
Geoffrey Staysniak marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Joanna Menda
Joanna Menda marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Korri
Korri marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
BW
BW added it
Aug 12, 2014
Vne
Vne marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Cradle of Flavor: Home Cooking from the Spice Islands of Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore
  • HomeBaking: The Artful Mix of Flour and Traditions from Around the World
  • Wild About Greens: 125 Delicious Recipes from Hearty Soups & Stews to Succulent Sautes & Smoothies
  • Honey from a Weed: Fasting and Feasting in Tuscany, Catalonia, the Cyclades and Apulia
  • The Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook: 350 Essential Recipes for Inspired Everyday Eating
  • Lord Krishna's Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking
  • Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • Arabesque: A Taste of Morocco, Turkey, and Lebanon
  • Classic Indian Cooking
  • The Food of Morocco
  • Harumi's Japanese Cooking: More than 75 Authentic and Contemporary Recipes from Japan's Most Popular Cooking Expert
  • Burma: Rivers of Flavor
  • The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen
  • Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art
  • Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook: Recipes from Hunan Province
  • Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen
  • Still Life with Menu Cookbook
  • Please to the Table: The Russian Cookbook
Najmieh Batmanglij, hailed as “the guru of Persian cuisine” by The Washington Post, has spent the past 30 years cooking, traveling, and adapting authentic Persian recipes to tastes and techniques in the West. Her cookbook New Food of Life: Ancient Persian and Modern Iranian Cooking and Ceremonies, was called “The definitive book of Persian cooking” by the Los Angeles Times; her Silk Road Cooking: ...more
More about Najmieh Batmanglij...
New Food of Life: Ancient Persian & Modern Iranian Cooking & Ceremonies A Taste of Persia: An Introduction to Persian Cooking Persian Cooking for a Healthy Kitchen From Persia to Napa: Wine at the Persian Table Happy Nowruz: Cooking with Children to Celebrate the Persian New Year [With Cookie Cutter]