Start by marking “Silk Road: Monks, Warriors & Merchants” as Want to Read:
Silk Road: Monks, Warriors & Merchants

Silk Road: Monks, Warriors & Merchants

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Place names such as Samarkand, Bukhara, Khotan and Chang'an continue to fascinate with the richness of their past. In this authoritative book, Luce Boulnois explores the encounter between East and West across the vast continental expanse that separates the Mediterranean world from the Chinese one. She unravels in a clear and compelling way the complex threads that make up...more
Published November 17th 2005 by Airphoto International Ltd. (first published January 1st 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Silk Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silk Road

Hock Tjoa
Luce Bulnois spent a long time working in and around the area of the Silk Road. She is well equipped to pronounce on the sources. Alas she does so without a clear organizing principle. She has followed her sources and the subjects that interest her. At one point, I braced against a chapter on silkworms such as Melville wrote on whales, but Bulnois managed to break her findings up into two or three places. She knows about the Chinese who have made pilgrimages or expeditions to or through the area...more
Brian
Good if you're into history, although it did repeat itself a lot, and got terribly in-depth with things such as terminology of various trade goods as they were named at the time (including the several dozens of types of silk.) Still, it painted a good image of the varying dynasties and empires that lay between Rome and China, and the rise and fall of them, as well as the dissemination of knowledge and goods. Worth a read if you're a historical nut.
Theeng
I'm reading this book for my graduate Art of the Silk Road seminar. It's not exactly graduate-level reading, but my professor prefers books that are easily accessible to students. Though the organization leaves much to be desired, the material is hardly comprehensive or academic, the book is at best an introduction to the figures or peoples significant to the history of the silk routes.
Frank Cardenas
Beautifully written but unfortunately it did not live up to my expectations of the actual Silk Road. Attracted by the cover and the comments on it, I bought this book before actually doing the Silk Road in China, unfortunately, I was expecting a different content, sth that would allow me to enjoy my trip a bit more, I did not find it there.
Writerlibrarian
Pretty good introduction to the history, geography and people that lived, travelled and explored the "silk road". Lots of interesting ideas to further explore. The bibliography offers dozens of titles to read to explore, learn and enjoy.I took lots of notes and now have quite a bit of new books to look forward to read in the future.
Omar Khan
This is a really interesting book, which explains in fascinating detail how trade in silk, horses and other goods helped form the world from China to Europe over 2,000 years. Well-written, with some nice French generalizations and broad-scope analysis, with exciting twists and turns along the way.
Vivian
A very comprehensive book on the Silk Road from sources from all through the history of the trade route and from many different places. The book did seem repetitive at times, but the writing style is pleasant to read.
Rachel
A bit dry, written in the French school of economic history. It didn't really cover the points I was hoping it would (the
"European" settlements).
Breco
Sep 18, 2011 Breco added it
good
Khup Mang
Khup Mang marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Ariel Ochoa
Ariel Ochoa marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Koroviev
Koroviev marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Katherine Pineda
Katherine Pineda marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Rosa Furtado
Rosa Furtado is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2014
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Mdog
Mdog added it
May 22, 2014
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Raffaele Castagno
Raffaele Castagno marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Lín
Lín marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Ar
Ar is currently reading it
Feb 01, 2014