Start by marking “Silk Road: Monks, Warriors & Merchants” as Want to Read:
Silk Road: Monks, Warriors & Merchants

Silk Road: Monks, Warriors & Merchants

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  58 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Place names such as Samarkand, Bukhara, Khotan and Chang'an continue to fascinate with the richness of their past. In this authoritative book, Luce Boulnois explores the encounter between East and West across the vast continental expanse that separates th
Published November 1st 2005 by Odyssey Books & Maps (first published January 1st 1964)

Hock Tjoa
Oct 29, 2011 Hock Tjoa rated it liked it
Luce Bulnois spent a long time working in and around the area of the Silk Road. She is well equipped to pronounce on the sources. Alas she does so without a clear organizing principle. She has followed her sources and the subjects that interest her. At one point, I braced against a chapter on silkworms such as Melville wrote on whales, but Bulnois managed to break her findings up into two or three places. She knows about the Chinese who have made pilgrimages or expeditions to or through the area ...more
Brian
Jul 22, 2012 Brian rated it liked it
Good if you're into history, although it did repeat itself a lot, and got terribly in-depth with things such as terminology of various trade goods as they were named at the time (including the several dozens of types of silk.) Still, it painted a good image of the varying dynasties and empires that lay between Rome and China, and the rise and fall of them, as well as the dissemination of knowledge and goods. Worth a read if you're a historical nut.
Robin Rivers
A wonderful look into the ancient history of the Silk Road from Luce Boulois. Her writing - although dealing with historical academia and research - is warm and conversational.

Wonderful photos and resources for travelling the Silk Road at the end of the book as well.
Theeng
Sep 20, 2007 Theeng rated it liked it
I'm reading this book for my graduate Art of the Silk Road seminar. It's not exactly graduate-level reading, but my professor prefers books that are easily accessible to students. Though the organization leaves much to be desired, the material is hardly comprehensive or academic, the book is at best an introduction to the figures or peoples significant to the history of the silk routes.
Frank Cardenas
Sep 03, 2007 Frank Cardenas rated it liked it
Beautifully written but unfortunately it did not live up to my expectations of the actual Silk Road. Attracted by the cover and the comments on it, I bought this book before actually doing the Silk Road in China, unfortunately, I was expecting a different content, sth that would allow me to enjoy my trip a bit more, I did not find it there.
Writerlibrarian
Pretty good introduction to the history, geography and people that lived, travelled and explored the "silk road". Lots of interesting ideas to further explore. The bibliography offers dozens of titles to read to explore, learn and enjoy.I took lots of notes and now have quite a bit of new books to look forward to read in the future.
Omar Khan
Apr 22, 2008 Omar Khan rated it it was amazing
This is a really interesting book, which explains in fascinating detail how trade in silk, horses and other goods helped form the world from China to Europe over 2,000 years. Well-written, with some nice French generalizations and broad-scope analysis, with exciting twists and turns along the way.
Vivian
Sep 16, 2013 Vivian rated it liked it
A very comprehensive book on the Silk Road from sources from all through the history of the trade route and from many different places. The book did seem repetitive at times, but the writing style is pleasant to read.
Rachel
Aug 06, 2007 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: nerdynonfiction
A bit dry, written in the French school of economic history. It didn't really cover the points I was hoping it would (the
"European" settlements).
Breco
Sep 18, 2011 Breco added it
good
Rick
Rick rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Mahmoud Alkhayal
Mahmoud Alkhayal marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
James
James marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Elise
Elise is currently reading it
Mar 14, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Ellen
Ellen is currently reading it
Feb 21, 2016
Byzantine
Byzantine marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Carol
Carol is currently reading it
Feb 29, 2016
Simone G.
Simone G. rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Luis Rodríguez
Luis Rodríguez marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Catherine Brousseau
Catherine Brousseau rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Paul. Lim
Paul. Lim rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Xiumin
Xiumin marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Painting
Painting rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Raymond L. Koke
Raymond L. Koke rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2015
Г. Балжка
Г. Балжка marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Ashish Bhaskar
Ashish Bhaskar marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015