Start by marking “A Pirate's Heart” as Want to Read:
A Pirate's Heart

A Pirate's Heart

Published November 1st 2008 by Bold Strokes Books

To ask other readers questions about A Pirate's Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pirate's Heart

Branded Ann by Merry ShannonThe Sublime and Spirited Voyage of Original Sin by Colette MoodyA Pirate's Heart by Catherine FriendThe Pirate's Booty by Alex WestmoreTaming The Wolff by Del Robertson
Lesbian Pirates
3rd out of 23 books — 37 voters
Tipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersFingersmith by Sarah WatersAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggKeeping You a Secret by Julie Anne Peters
Best Lesbian Fiction
241st out of 1,355 books — 1,682 voters

More lists with this book...

Heinerway
Nice parallel love stories, but... I didn't like the childish plot and the fantasy ending. And besides it's very predictable.
FarNerdy
For clarification, I listened to the audiobook of "A Pirate's Heart" in order to provide this review.

I have to admit, I was thoroughly pleased and surprised at how much I enjoyed this novel. Catherine Friend weaved a wonderful tangle of two plot lines, two time periods, and two love stories that I consistently ached for more when she flipped back and forth between the two. A section of one plot line would end (for the time), and begin with the other, and I was sad to have to shift gears to foll
Amanda
Jul 25, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it
I checked out everything that Catherine Friend ever wrote from the library after loving _Sheepish_. I got about two chapters into this book before I turned to Chad and said, "I think this is a lesbian romance novel!" I read on, and was right, and the whole thing reminded me a bit of Gabaldon. It was actually pretty enjoyable, with some great characters and a fun, if a bit cheesy, storyline. Friend maintains my respect as a writer and thinker, and I can now say that I have delved into a lesbian ...more
Shannon J.
Feb 28, 2015 Shannon J. rated it liked it
A good book, right up until the final chapters in which the author fails to really nail the ending. Basically we get a fantasy novel ending in what HAD been up to then a realistic book. *shrug* Which may have just been me not catching the fantasy undercurrent, but it didn't work for me.
D.
May 06, 2012 D. rated it it was amazing
This is one of the few books that I will say this about it: it was amazing!! This had everything that a story like this one should have: action, drama, suspense, some comedy, adventure and romance with some 'scenes'. The story was simply amazing, I liked how it let you know when they were going to change time periods and the characters. What made me love the book was the ending, it was simply amazing, well wrote out and a little unexpected. Hope to read more books like this one. I don't really ...more
Susie
Jul 13, 2014 Susie rated it it was ok
Cliche and predictable. If you're just looking for a lesbian beach read, you're good. If you're looking for a swashbuckling action/adventure with lesbians, I'm sure there are better options.
Sydney Squidney

I must admit, I have never been into romance novels - one thing I can't stand is shmoopy, fluffy romance. Don't get me wrong, I loves me a heated shmexy story, I just can't stand to be deluged with Harlequin grade super-romance stories filled with outrageous drama and cheesy dialogue that makes me wince. It's THAT kind of dubious "romance" story that makes my eyes roll, and not in a good way.

BUT, in point of that fact - the promise that this lesbian romance offered an unsolved mystery and the hu
Cindy
Sep 23, 2016 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the contemporary story a lot more interesting because the author's style is naturally humourous and witty, though I liked the idea of having two parallel stories. Tommy's story would probably have been more engaging if it was written in first person like Emma's story was, because switching from first person to third person every few chapters disrupted the flow of reading a bit, and writing in first person is the author's stronger suit. The story really picks up towards the end, though ...more
Tara Chevrestt
This story is so much fun! It has a butt-whooping woman pirate, romance that has plenty of time to blossom--nothing rushed here, bits of humor in the dialogue and narrative, a modern-day hunt for a map and its treasure, thugs, and even a very lovable poodle. Poodle-doodle-noodle! LOL And the narrative is so refreshing, so honest and real. By narrative I mean the modern-day heroine's. This is one of those double-time period stories.

Obviously, the historical tale follows a lady pirate, a woman men
Cab
Dec 02, 2011 Cab rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, romance, e-books
Summary from the Bold Strokes Website:
“Four women, a long-lost treasure, and more than one “thief of hearts” share a destiny beyond time.

To foil a map thief, librarian Emma Boyd searches for a pirate's long-lost treasure map. She’s aided in her search by investigator Randi Marx, who proves to be as frustrating as she is beautiful. The treasure map Emma and Randi seek belonged to Thomasina Farris, a pirate who disappeared from the Caribbean in 1715. Did Captain Tommy steal an entire treasure from
Julia DeBarrioz
May 18, 2015 Julia DeBarrioz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pirates
So I never thought I would enjoy a pirate book that also included the words "noodle poodle doodle"...but here we are! This is a rollicking adventure that jumps back and forth between a modern day map/treasure hunt and a historical jaunt into the golden age of piracy. And, its also a lesbian action adventure love story, which was a new one for me. It's filled with accurate historical detail, and because I'm a nerd, I also got a kick out of a closer look into the rare book library system. It had a ...more
Violet
Jul 01, 2016 Violet rated it liked it
Recommends it for: pirate lovers everywhere
Shelves: audio-books, humor, ff
I've once read a cheap book, marketed as a "romance" about pirates.

A dashing pirate captain dashingly captures a merchants ship, killing some crew, but young girl robustly demands to cease all the murder, but sadly, does not demand a parley. Must have not seen Pirates of Caribbeans.
A dashing pirate captain considers the demand and makes a decent offer for his captive - yarr, I'll plunder your nubile body every night (she was 14, sailing with her nanny to marry an elderly dude, octogenarian, if
Serith
Jul 08, 2015 Serith rated it really liked it
This is like getting two books in one. Two really good books.

It can be risky jumping between two characters (especially if they are from two different eras), but I was excited each time the scenes flipped over. The cliff-hangers worked as they should; not once did I feel manipulated as a reader. I got really into it. There was drama, but it was never stressful. It was fun and light. Plus the twists actually caught me off guard. So much that I’m tempted to read it again with full insight.

So this
jessi
Apr 07, 2016 jessi rated it really liked it
Pros: Writing itself was easy to understand, not too flowery, and never went off on unrelated topics like other lesbian writers (cough cough sarah waters). Plot was okay, mildly predictable, but very enjoyable and one of my now favorite books.
Cons: My biggest bone to pick with this book is actually so minor many people have probbaly overlooked it, but is something I have seen in Friend's other series. She demonizes bisexual people. Both main character's exes are said to have left them for a man,
ken
Dec 23, 2014 ken rated it it was ok
Cheri
Mar 25, 2016 Cheri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second time I've read this book, the first being many years ago. My thoughts are pretty much the same, I love the historical pirate story featuring Captain Tommy Farris and enjoyed the modern day story featuring Randi and Emma. The unfolding of Tommy's story was interesting and engaging and I wish there had been more of it.

Anyone who enjoys lesbian romances and pirates should really like this book. It's a bit dated in some ways (PDAs and no use of Google - *gasp*) but that doesn't t
Jedi Sheriff
Mar 05, 2016 Jedi Sheriff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book . The charachters are very likeable and the story has plenty of plot twists to keep you glued to it. Iv never read a book about pirates before and to be honest i was a bit apprehensive about it. However, it was brilliant and I now feel I would like to actually read Treasure Island and not just watch the muppets version. (was never a fan of the pirate genre as a Kid unless it was Goonies or Muppets treasure island.
YC
Jul 05, 2015 YC rated it really liked it
Woah. This story is really refreshing from all the other romance novels I read. I love the parallels, the humor. The story between Tommy Farris and Rebekah Brown is really sweet and I am especially fond with their story than the one between Emma and Randi, in fact, I have been so angry with Emma for a lot of time for all her naivety and follow-the-rules personality. Fortunately, the romance between Tommy Farris and Rebekah Brown has made up for it. It has been a great adventure!
Jay
Sep 24, 2016 Jay rated it it was ok
This wasn't great, but it wasn't all bad. Sometimes I had trouble liking the characters, and found myself reading on simply because "historic lesbian mystery with pirates and dogs" sounds like something I should want to read. It could have certainly been better in its treatment of Rebekah, the former slave and Captain Tommy's love interest, and there was no need to shit on bisexuality. Come on. Maybe get this from the library.
Ashley D--
May 15, 2016 Ashley D-- rated it it was amazing
Quite frankly the only great lesbian romance novel I've read. Well written, fun characters, fantastic format, and it was even sexy! It's a legitimate book, and if you've read any other lesbian romance novels you will know what I mean by that. It's been three years and I haven't found another like it. My partner and I still talk about it (usually when we're halfway through another book, when we want to remember the time we read something good).
Sunny
Apr 21, 2013 Sunny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Catherine Friend book that I thoroughly enjoyed. This one didn't draw me in quite as fast as the previous two, but once I got into it, I couldn't put it down. Who doesn't love a treasure hunt? I loved the parallels between the past and present and found myself cheering for both couples. Fun read!
Fiona Hanks
Aug 11, 2016 Fiona Hanks rated it it was amazing
A great easy read. The movement between present day and the 18th century actually added to the interest in the story as it was almost having 2 stories entwined into one. The characters were well written and easy to get a good feeling for.
Mariah Lebron
Jun 06, 2015 Mariah Lebron rated it it was amazing
Fanstasic! I love History and women. This book as both and mystery along with am amazing twist! 4 women and 2 stories that bring you back and forth until the very end. I loved every single bit of this book and could ask for a better one.
Karen Wolfer
Aug 06, 2016 Karen Wolfer rated it it was amazing
Have read and listened to the audio book version several times. Each time I appreciate anew the intricate weaving together of the two stories and the hidden trail of clues along the way. Such fun on the high seas, and what fun for the characters in the modern age. Can not recommend highly enough!
Vivian Lau
Apr 28, 2015 Vivian Lau rated it really liked it
This is my third book from Friend and she doesn't disappoint. A Pirate's Heart is a light and fun read with a good balance between both storylines - neither storyline overwhelms the other. Looking forward to more books from Friend.
Shannon Castle
The is the first time in a long time I wept when reading a book. I fell completely in love with the well developed character, Tommy. It has been days since I finished the book and it is all still fresh in my mind, all the emotions I went through whilst reading.
Kate
Jan 07, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it
Definitely did not expect a timid rare books & manuscripts librarian to go off on an adventure after a map thief (and then for lost treasure!), much less to fall for a private investigator who is not all who she appears to be.

A fun read! 4/5 librarians recommend.
Pipsqueak97
Aug 30, 2013 Pipsqueak97 rated it really liked it
A surprisingly entertaining story of pirates, treasure hunting and romance. I loved reading this book.
Emily
Jan 05, 2016 Emily rated it liked it
The historical, pirate story line was awesome! And the contemporary story line left much to be desired. Write an entire pirate story! That's what the ladies want!
Bev
Bev rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Branded Ann
  • The Sublime and Spirited Voyage of Original Sin
  • Protector of the Realm (Supreme Constellations, #1)
  • Backwards to Oregon
  • Goldenseal (Garoul, #1)
  • Lady Knight
  • Shield of Justice (Justice, #1)
  • Snowbound
  • The Scorpion
  • Nightshade (Arravan, #1)
  • Hard Times
  • Dying to Live (Elite Operatives, #4)
  • The Exile And the Sorcerer (Lyremouth Chronicles, #1)
  • After the Fall
  • The Devil Inside (Cain Casey, #1)
  • Too Close to Touch
141922
Catherine Friend had what she calls a "boring" childhood, but she says that boring was just fine -- because it gave her more time to read. She read so much her parents had to set a "no-reading-at-the dinner-table" rule. She was slightly shy as a child, but enjoyed playing Beauty Parlor with her sister, taking family trips, and watching STAR TREK and TIME TUNNEL.

She studied Economics, but because
More about Catherine Friend...