Start by marking “Winter Fire” as Want to Read:
Winter Fire

Winter Fire

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  32 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
William Trotter's critically acclaimed fictional debut explores the deep forests of Finland with Nazi intelligence officer Erich Ziegler, a gifted orchestra conductor swept up in the maelstrom of war. Laden with the magic of Norse legends, the savage power of the northern forests, and the horrors of the Finnish and Eastern fronts, this tale burns with the fuel of timeless ...more
Published October 8th 2003 by Basic Books (first published February 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Winter Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Fire

Mark
Sep 23, 2009 Mark rated it did not like it
The problem with this book is that it aspired. This book aspired to be literature, when it would have been best left to popular fiction. Had it not aspired, maybe I would give it three stars.

The problem with the story is that the characters lack any depth. Sure, the author throws out little facts and quirks about Sibelius and others, but it feels more like he is trying to show off something he picked up from an encyclopedia page. Once these things are thrown out to the reader, they are often r
Louis
Jan 22, 2011 Louis rated it really liked it
Winter Fire follows a WWII German officer named Erich Ziegler as he serves the German Army in Norway and the Eastern Front. He is an infantry officer, who in his civilian life is a conductor. In particular, he had written an article on Jean Sibelius, the Finnish composer who was the pride of Finland. And after a period of exemplary service, he was tapped by German Army Intelligence to serve as what in the U.S. Army is known as a Foreign Area Officer, based on his expertise and special knowledge ...more
Samuli
Oct 14, 2012 Samuli rated it liked it
Kirja oli ideatasolla mielenkiintoinen sekoitus perinteistä jännäriä, sotatarinaa, musiikkihistoriaa ja yliluonnollista romanssia. Sibelius oli mystifioitu, mutta tarinan tyylilajiin moinen sopi.

Kirja oli, kielestä huolimatta, kelvollinen lukukokemus. Osa historiallista miljöötä oli kuvattu kaliiperintarkasti, mutta välillä pienet kömmähdykset häiritsivät - esimerkiksi kelvannee Alvar Aallon suunnittelema Helsingin rautatieasema ja Volganmutka- teoriaan perustuva mystinen juonikuvio.

Bill
Nov 08, 2013 Bill rated it really liked it
As I was reading this book I did find some parts a bit slow going. But now that I've finished I can't recall just what part. I knew a little about WWII and Finland, & I had written a term paper on Sibelius in college. But what struck me most was the sense the author conveyed of the country and its legends. I really felt the bleakness of the Arctic winter, and the mystical regard for the forest. Both of which endure despite a man's best or worst intentions.
Kenneth Flusche
Aug 11, 2013 Kenneth Flusche rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The most different WW-II book I ever read, who would have thought Finland was part of the war and music could be a part of it. Trotter has a way of writing which holds my attention.
Marie
Apr 27, 2011 Marie added it
Shelves: abandoned
I only got halfway through this. You'd think it was made for me: WWII, Finland, music. But I couldn't get over the mediocre writing.
Anne
Sep 09, 2009 Anne rated it it was amazing
Bill is my friend, and I really liked this book. If you like music, Sibelius and WWII stories, this could be for you.
Pat Stanfield
Pat Stanfield rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Ronald Clifford Lange
Ronald Clifford Lange marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Stuart
Stuart marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Megan Stover
Megan Stover marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Hilary Ledebuhr
Hilary Ledebuhr rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2015
Sharon Finch
Sharon Finch marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
At422
At422 added it
Jan 25, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Mary Devaney
Mary Devaney rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2014
Barbara Hill
Barbara Hill marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Tricia
Tricia marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Morgiana
Morgiana rated it liked it
May 02, 2014
Floyd Garrett
Floyd Garrett marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Patrick O'Neill
Patrick O'Neill rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2014
Tim Martin
Tim Martin rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Andy
Andy rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2013
Jennifer Laporte
Jennifer Laporte marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Scoutaccount
Scoutaccount rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2013