Start by marking “Battlestar Galactica and Philosophy: Mission Accomplished or Mission Frakked Up?” as Want to Read:

Battlestar Galactica and Philosophy: Mission Accomplished or Mission Frakked Up? (Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture #7)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  26 reviews
In attempting to retain her "human" side, does Sharon really have free will? Is killing a Cylon murder or garbage disposal? These are some of the questions addressed in this thoughtful collection of writings on the philosophical underpinnings of Battlestar, Galactica. The book includes a brief analysis of the original 1970s and 80s series but concentrates primarily on the ...more
Published May 28th 2008 by Open Court (first published January 29th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Battlestar Galactica and Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Battlestar Galactica and Philosophy

Michael
I've been getting a number of the Popular Culture and Philosophy books. I haven't really studied classical philosophy. I didn't take a basic Philosophy class in college.

So, seeing different philosophies shown through the prism of another subject I really like has been really interesting. There's no central theme to the book. You don't get a progressive look at different philosophies over time as illustrated by BSG. What you get is a series of essays grouped broadly into different topics that exa
Ivan
I'm biased because I wrote two of the essays in this book.
Aleshia
I've read several of the books in the Philosophy and Pop Culture Series and I have to say this is the best one so far. It may be because I'm a major Battlestar Galactica fan but I'd like to think this is the best one because of the subject matter of the show. The show has a tendency to make me agree with actions that I would have never thought I'd support and this book has done the same. It made me rethink a lot of philosophical topics in a way even The Matrix book in this series didn't.

I'd high
Eliz
I was an early fan of this pop culture and philosophy series, but some of these later volumes seem to miss the mark a little. This was more on the critical-review-cultural-studies side of things versus tv/movie-demonstrating-philosophical-concepts side. I was reading for the latter. Not that it wasn’t pretty interesting overall, it just wasn’t what I was hoping for. Also, there has been a marked decrease in the quality of these later volumes (as the quantity increases — there are volumes for sca ...more
Bryan
I had to force myself to finish. I really just wanted to keep my BSG high going after finishing the series on DVD. What you’ll find here is entry level philosophy with BSG sprinkled on top. By splitting the difference between the two the book becomes unsatisfying in both philosophic and galactic regards. Some of the articles are written poorly. Of course the ones I liked the most were about things I am already interested in: Heidegger, Zen, feminism, and transhumanism.

Why isn't the ENTIRE book a
Ruben Bañuelos
Some of the essays seem to be written before the 4th season was aired, so they get a bit especulative about points that were later made clear. The book as a whole is interesting, though it doesn't feel very consistent. Some essays are great, but some of them aren't. All in all, is a good book with lots of interesting questions around this TV series. If you are a fan, it's definitely a something you should read.
Michael
Another good series of essays looking at philosophical concepts and issues through the prism of popular culture, specifically, the first three seasons of the re-visioned Battlestar Galactica.

The range of articles is good and they have been well selected. Despite this being a shorter book than the previous Battlestar Galactica and Philosophy book I read, the pieces themselves seemed to delve a bit deeper into the ideas. This will mostly be of interest to genre and BSG fans. But it's a worthwhile,
Heather
There's lots of interesting viewpoints presented here, but the book loses points for some seriously sloppy copyediting. There are duplicated sentences, missing commas, and even characters names spelled wrong. I know things slip through the cracks sometimes, but it got to a point that I could no longer ignore it.

I also wish it had been compiled after the new series was finished, it only goes through season three, but a some of the arguments presented necessarily change with information presented
Suzanne
Oct 02, 2008 Suzanne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Philosophy Majors, and Battlestar Galactica fans.
Recommended to Suzanne by: Ravelry Forum
9/14/08
This book is titled "Battlestar Galactica and Philosophy," but I think it should have been titled, "Philosophy and Battlestar Galactica." I never took a Philosophy class in college, but now I feel as if I have. I love Battlestar Galactica, and am really enjoying this book, but it is pretty intense, serious reading and, I have a toddler so my brain is not what it used to be. ;o) At the end of the day, which is when I settle into bed and read, this book makes my head hurt. But it hurts so
Becky
This was my first experience in the pop culture philosophy series. I enjoyed this, but mostly because it was like having the discussions I wanted to have among other fans. That, and it's been a couple years since I gorged myself on hours of BSG a day. Some of the essays were repetitive, some were bland, but some were quite interesting. What it all comes down to is this: I didn't learn anything new.
AJ Lindell
I honestly expected very little from this book. I'm a huge BSG fan and I love reading philosophy, but I rather expected a lot less than I got. It actually delved into some interesting correlations between events in the show and ancient (and modern) philosophy. I would say it is definitely worth a read for any BSG fan.
Gemma
While reading this book I wasn't sure whether I was reading a book about philosophy which used examples from the show Battlestar Galactica or a book about BSG which delved into the themes of the show and their similarity with philosophical studies.
Anyway, it was an interesting read.
Meg
I don't know why I will always read these books, when in the end, I am never really that impressed with them. The other one that I have (the one edited by Richard Hatch) is much better than this volume, but I think that's because Jacob from TWOP has an essay in that one.
Jessica
This was really interesting. It's a fun way to illustrate various schools of philosophical thought. What would Machiavelli say about Roslin's or Cain's leadership? How does Adama's lie that he knows where Earth is demonstrate the Gettier Problem? Good stuff.
Lawrence Carrington
Most of the essays in the first half of the book are interesting and thought provoking. However, I skipped several of the second half after reading the first few paragraphs.
All in all, a recommended read for the thinking BSG fan.
Philina
Interesting, but ultimately a let-down. Some of the essays were poorly written and it felt like the authors had not even watched a show called Battlestar Galactica, let alone the series I watched.
Ihsan Duzgun
Jaap Bennen
It had more potential - apart from a few interesting chapters it was mostly shallow and missed quite a few important points.
Katya S
Very hit and miss with some of the articles and Ideas presented. Fun read for the most part
John Michael
Interesting...interesting. It's nice to approach BSG from an intellectual direction.
Ira Martina
Could have been much, much better. But was a wonderful birthday pressie.
Edudardo L
Very well written n thought provoking
Soozums
because i'm that much of a nerd
  • Monty Python and Philosophy: Nudge Nudge, Think Think!
  • Inception and Philosophy: Because It's Never Just a Dream
  • Watchmen and Philosophy: A Rorschach Test
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Philosophy: Everything Is Fire
  • X-Men and Philosophy: Astonishing Insight and Uncanny Argument in the Mutant X-Verse
  • Dexter and Philosophy: Mind over Spatter
  • Terminator and Philosophy: I'll Be Back, Therefore I Am
  • More Matrix and Philosophy: Revolutions and Reloaded Decoded
  • The Chronicles of Narnia and Philosophy: The Lion, the Witch, and the Worldview
  • Star Trek and Philosophy: The Wrath of Kant
  • Lost and Philosophy: The Island Has Its Reasons
  • Doctor Who and Philosophy: Bigger on the Inside (Popular Culture and Philosophy)
  • The Daily Show and Philosophy: Moments of Zen in the Art of Fake News
  • The Science of Battlestar Galactica
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy: Fear and Trembling in Sunnydale
  • Superheroes and Philosophy: Truth, Justice, and the Socratic Way
  • Game of Thrones and Philosophy: Logic Cuts Deeper Than Swords
  • The Beatles and Philosophy: Nothing You Can Think that Can't Be Thunk
Thomistic Principles and Bioethics Star Wars and Philosophy: More Powerful than You Can Possibly Imagine Sons of Anarchy and Philosophy: Brains Before Bullets (The Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture Series) Star Trek and Philosophy: The Wrath of Kant