Start by marking “The Trail of Conflict” as Want to Read:
The Trail of Conflict

The Trail of Conflict

In the wedding of the decade, Geraldine Glamorgan's millions were united with Steve Courtlandt's aristocratic name. Both young, handsome, vibrantly alive, they found themselves, "for better or for worse," bound in a glittering - and empty - marriage of convenience.

Then tragedy brought Steve the ownership of a ranch out West. Gamely, Geraldine went with him, forfeiting her
Published April 28th 1981 by Bantam Books (first published 1922)

To ask other readers questions about The Trail of Conflict, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trail of Conflict

Tiffany
Oct 19, 2011 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
I have all of her books in paper back and ~10 first edition hard cover books. My mom starting reading them when she was young and then I started reading them. I am 29 now, but have been reading and re-reading these books since I was a teenager (like my mom). I periodically check Kindle books to see if any are there any available. I was soooo excited to see this one.

In this book, Jerry Glamorgan (short for Geraldine) marries Stephen Courtlandt because Jerry's father wants his daughter to marry i
Mitzi
Aug 11, 2016 Mitzi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vintage-novels
This is the first book by Emilie Baker Loring that I picked up, I am glad I did, I enjoyed it. It is a marriage of convenience story, with some ranch life and bad guys drama thrown in for good measure. I will be reading more by EBL for sure.
Julie Barrett
Aug 10, 2012 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it
The Trail of Conflict by Emily Loring
Marriage of convenience: his hand for her money.
Steve Cortland and Gerry LaMorgan must live on the ranch for at least a year using only Steve's money but conflicts arise.
If the one year goes by Cortland will win back all his estate holdings mortgages, paid in full. If Steve refuses the offer everything will be foreclosed upon.
She takes up riding the countryside and does call on a local woman that's been there a whole year with no company.
Steve worries when s
Connie
May 31, 2016 Connie rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, 2016-books
This is the first Emilie Loring book I’ve read, and I was pretty unimpressed. The story doesn’t flow well at all. It’s choppy and hard to follow. The hero and heroine are hard to sympathize with. I didn’t really care for either of them. Some of the side characters are more interesting.

I have to give her kudos though. She put a “marriage of convenience” together with a “wild west adventure” in the setting of the years after World War I. And though that sounds like a disaster in the making, she ma
Susan
Jan 25, 2014 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fiction
I'm an Emilie Loring collector, and enjoy reading her books, but this wasn't one of my favorites. It was still entertaining, and I appreciated the morals, but the writing wasn't very clean. The mystery was hard to follow and I found myself constantly wondering what was going on. Also the craving for a title is not something we understand much anymore these days...

But it was still Emilie Loring, and I like a quick, clean, sweet, happy ending romance every now and then, and that's what you get wit
Gloria Stendal
Jan 07, 2013 Gloria Stendal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not my favorite Emilie Loring, but I like all of her books because they were written in the 20's and 30's, so they are authentic for that time period.

I like how she weaves suspense into all of her novels and this one is no exception. The couple is forced into a loveless marriage by her father, but they grow to love each other in the end. The author even manages to get the reader to forgive the jerk of a father by the end of the book.

This is the only one of her books that I have been able
Marion
Aug 23, 2016 Marion rated it liked it
Shelves: american-western
Re-read this book while I was laid up with a sprained ankle. When I was growing up, my grandmother was always handing me books to read from her library. I think she had every Emile Loring title, and I read most of them.

It was a quick read and about what I remembered. Though, I have to say they accents she gave the Chinese and Japanese characters was cringe-worthy. I had to keep reminding myself it was written in 1922.

One more thing, isn't her name glorious? Geraldine (Jerry) Glamorgan. What a f
Bruce&Marsha Sarrazin
Emilio Loring has been my very favorite author since my mom introduced me to her books when I was 12 years old

Emilio baker loring has been my favorite author since my mother introduced me to her books when I was 12 years old and I am still reading them at 72 years old. I have an extensive library in my home, which contains all of her books. I enjoy rereading them. My only complaint is that this is the only one that is available on kindle.
Jessica Howard
May 19, 2012 Jessica Howard rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, romance
Cheesy but fun. Starring Stephen Courtlandt and Geraldine Glamorgan in a 1920s thriller - will they stop the cattle rustlers?! Will they realize that their marriage of convenience is actually a love match?! Duh duh duh...
Mikkel Libby
Dec 25, 2015 Mikkel Libby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this for the 2nd time.

It's a great story without a lot of unreasonable game playing on the rode to love. The intrigue of the robbery plot was also good. The many colorful characters involved, and the reunion of war buddies, made this a page turner.
Madeline
Aug 01, 2015 Madeline rated it liked it
This isn't my favorite Emily Loring book. It is just a little dry and boring. Also, I got a little confused with all of the mystery. Her books are all such fast reads that you might as well read them all, though.
Eva
Dec 15, 2013 Eva rated it liked it
Read this for nostalgia's sake -- I was a big fan of Emilie Loring's works when I was younger. It was a sweet story, but the dialect she gave the Chinese and Japanese servants made me cringe. Not something I probably even noticed when I was in my early teens.
Evalyn
Dec 22, 2013 Evalyn rated it it was amazing
I went back to a book I read when I was 18 to see whether I would enjoy it all these years later. I was pleasantly surprised to find it well-written and I enjoyed it.
Elaine
Aug 03, 2015 Elaine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a gentle, old-fashioned romance, with literary quotes and references to classical music - no vulgarity, no profanity, no lurid sex - very refreshing as a change of pace.
Annette
Feb 15, 2012 Annette rated it it was amazing
This book is as good today as it was 30-35 years ago when I read it the first time!! Emilie Loring tells a great story!
Tasha
Mar 30, 2012 Tasha rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance, dnf, classic
I just couldn't do it. The death of Uncle Nick was too brutal. :P The only interesting character in this entire book, really?!?
Gillian
Sep 29, 2010 Gillian rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Good but depressing.
Soscha
Sep 16, 2016 Soscha rated it liked it
This book is what romance novels looked in the 1920s. You’ll find no “good parts” here beyond the limited passionate kiss. The men are alpha; the women are a mix of spunk and traditional femininity. Per usual in Emilie Loring, the enjoyment level will be marred by occasional racist stereotypes and xenophobia. If you can overlook that, Trail of Conflict, along with her other works are entertaining, especially if you’re looking at them for their historical interest.
Marie Slivocka
Marie Slivocka rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Dlynn
Dlynn rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2010
Carolm
Carolm rated it liked it
May 09, 2016
Mira
Mira rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2010
Mary Weathers
Mary Weathers rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2010
Bridget
Bridget rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2008
Jill Hilbun
Jill Hilbun rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2008
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2011
Jackie
Jackie rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2012
Sandra Ryan
Sandra Ryan rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2016
Judy Crewdson
Judy Crewdson rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2017
Betty
Betty rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Ariel Custer
  • The White Lady
Emilie Loring was born in Boston, Massachusetts in 1864 to George M. Baker and Emily Frances (Boles) Baker. Her father was a playwright and publisher and her mother was a homemaker. Loring married Victor J. Loring, who was a lawyer. She died in Wellesley, Massachusetts on March 13, 1951. At the time of her death, Loring had sold more than a million copies of her first thirty books.

Loring was a pr
More about Emilie Baker Loring...