Start by marking “Dine Bahane: The Navajo Creation Story” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Dine Bahane: The Navaj...

Paul G. Zolbrod

Dine Bahane: The Navajo Creation Story

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  167 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
This is the most complete version of the Navajo creation story to appear in English since Washington Matthews' Navajo Legends of 1847. Zolbrod's new translation renders the power and delicacy of the oral storytelling performance on the page through a poetic idiom appropriate to the Navajo oral tradition.

Zolbrod's book offers the general reader a vivid introduction to Navaj

Published March 1st 1988 by University of New Mexico Press (first published December 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Dine Bahane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dine Bahane

Abby
The dilapidated copy I read came as a discard from the high school library in Kirtland. Mom says it's one of the books that tends to walk out and not come back, which surprised me at first. However, I loved it. As far as authenticity goes, it's a little strange- written by an English prof from PA with no training in ethnology or anthropology, no experience with the Navajo culture, no knowledge of the language, and plenty of enthusiasm. His primary source is another book by another author from ar ...more
Samantha
This book actually took me a little while to get through. I picked it up from my university's library for a final 15 page paper that I need to write for my Indians of the Southwest Anthropology course.

This text is very interesting and it pays lots of attention to poetic detail, such as repetition of certain elements and repetition of events in a particular pattern. I don't know much about the Navajo, but based on the studies I've done regarding Mescalero Apache and the Hopi, it also includes re
Mariana
Sep 10, 2014 Mariana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty great once you've made allowances for some translation-related weirdness and the editor's unnecessary (and troubling) embellishments.
Sheldon Fatt
Nov 10, 2015 Sheldon Fatt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read for all Navajos.
Zachary Roanhorse
My husband and I decided to read this aloud together after we got a copy this Christmas. It is an essential read. I would give it five stars but some of the editing mistakes were inexcusable. A sacred work such as this deserves better attention to detail.
John
Nov 17, 2013 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the one hand, the setting of this story was very familiar: the cast of animals and the geographical features are clearly those of my home country. On the other hand, the stories themselves, and the cultural norms and other elements, were foreign to me. It was a very interesting read.
Liv
Jun 24, 2008 Liv rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Super easy reading. Skimmed a lot of the replication. It's suppose to be writen like a song, a traditional chant, I think, but it could be the same story but better without the extra 100 pages and more folklore detail.
Rebecca
Aug 08, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: haveread
I would like to learn even more about traditional Navajo ways of understanding the world. This was an interesting starting point.
Jacquie
Nov 10, 2008 Jacquie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This will be the last book in my Navaho study
Brea Plum
APL only has the ebook.
Leonard
Leonard rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Tyler
Tyler is currently reading it
Jun 12, 2016
Sarah Harris
Sarah Harris rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016
Julia Walsh
Julia Walsh rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Vanessa Liming
Vanessa Liming rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2016
Alessandro
Alessandro marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Davida Temima
Davida Temima marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
tm1906
tm1906 marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Lane
Lane added it
May 05, 2016
Dave Rorbach
Dave Rorbach rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
BSurks
BSurks marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
Jorge
Jorge marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Joshlynn
Joshlynn marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Rebecca Basler
Rebecca Basler rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Adrian
Adrian marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Patrick Reinhart
Patrick Reinhart marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Carrie Puckette
Carrie Puckette marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Erik
Erik added it
Mar 26, 2016
  • Down the Santa Fe Trail and into Mexico: The Diary of Susan Shelby Magoffin, 1846-1847
  • Book of the Hopi: The first revelation of the Hopi's historical and religious world-view of life
  • Plays Pleasant
  • American Indian Trickster Tales
  • Epicoene
  • Glory Road: My Story of the 1966 NCAA Basketball Championship and How One Team Triumphed Against the Odds and Changed America Forever
  • The Thebaid: Seven Against Thebes
  • Spider Woman's Granddaughters: Traditional Tales and Contemporary Writing by Native American Women
  • Myths of the Hindus and Buddhists