Ancient Gonzo Wisdom: Interviews with Hunter S. Thompson

Ancient Gonzo Wisdom: Interviews with Hunter S. Thompson

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Bristling with inspired observations and wild anecdotes, this first collection offers a unique insight into the voice and mind of the inimitable Hunter S. Thompson, as recorded in the pages of Playboy, The Paris Review, Esquire, and elsewhere. Fearless and unsparing, the interviews detail some of the most storied episodes of Thompson's life: a savage beating at the hands o...more
Published July 7th 2009 by Da Capo Press

Bro_Pair أعرف
This should have been five stars, for reasons I'll explain, and which already have been detailed by more able writers (http://exiledonline.com/how-christoph...). Any book of interviews is going to be a mixed bag, but thank God the interviewee is a wily one here. The book spans 1967 through 2005, beginning with the press junket the Good Doctor got for "Hells Angels," and ending with perhaps the most moving, best-conceived interview of the book, conducted by Playboy's Tim Mohr shortly before Thomp...more
Eric W.
May 28, 2012 Eric W. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Serious Gonzo-heads only
Recommended to Eric by: Richie Narvaez
I'm of mixed opinion on this book. The book exclusively covers Hunter's appearance in the media -- television and the published word -- as the subject of interviews chronologically. Because like today, most media appearances were timed to releases of his own books or otherwise, you will frequently find interviews here that happen around the same time, meaning that the questions and his answers, repeat quite a bit. While that repetition means, I've got a solid understanding of Hunter's time line...more
Chris
Let me start with the negatives. This is a collection of interviews and articles on Hunter. If the interviewer themselves had talent, knowledge about Hunter, and a certain level of hipness, then the articles are/ were worth reading. If not, well... you have a lot of repetitively-maddening, obvious questions (ex. the kazillion times Hunter is asked about Garry Trudeau's parody of him) and some outright blunders (TWICE Hunter is referred to as "Patron-drinking." While he might drink SOME tequila,...more
Lee Battersby
I've never been drawn into the cult of Hunter Thompson: I've been aware of him, in a rough "he wrote that and that" kind of way, without being intimately familiar with the building blocks of his reputation. From that point of view, this chronologically-arranged collection of interviews certainly helped me to pin down the significant events in the creation of the myth surrounding him. However, the more I read, the more I felt seeds of suspicion begin to burrow: those famous incidents-- his time w...more
J.C.
3 1/2 stars. A nice collection of interviews. Some of it was a bit repetitive, especially near the end, but it was still pretty entertaining and insightful. It would be a good book for anyone who needed help deciphering the meaning behind the fear and loathing.
Emeelu
Prophetic. Insightful, unapologetic, fearless
Karl Arney
Obviously there's a fair amount of repetition as well as some contradiction given how many interviews are contained here and how much chronological ground they cover (Hell's Angels-era until pretty near the end). Likewise, this is more or less only going to appeal to the thoroughly converted. Those two things said, there's a lot of gold in here for those who are interested, in terms of insight into both Thompson as a person and politics and journalism, as well as plenty of moments of great hilar...more
Nate Jordon
Thompson's shining Gonzo Intellect is displayed here with humor and insight. Thompson was a seer, a visionary, an immovable force of which our culture will have to contend with for decades to come. His interviews read like his prose - evidence that what you read in print was the Good Doctor himself without pretense, without a mask. The earth's axis has shifted since his departure and we are all at a loss with his absence.
Kevin Kizer
A lot of interesting interviews with HST over the years. Granted, I'd read most of them from the past 10, but it's nice to get them in one collection. And it has an intro by Christopher Hitchens. Double bonus!

Also, probably unintentionally, it showcases the decline in the art of the interview over the years (by journalists, not HST). Some absolutely ridiculous, yes/no questions.
DJMikeG
A must read for all serious followers/admirers/fans of the Great Doctor. A collection of interviews ranging from TV spots in the late 60s to online Q&A's from the year of his suicide, 2005. His wit and extremely insightful look at the world are laid bare here. Yet another great monument to one of the most original and incredible voices in the world of written words.
Claire
An essential for anyone studying the work of Hunter S. Thompson. Although some of his stories are conflicting, that is to be expected of the man infamous for sensationalising his every move. Having so many interviews allows the researcher to really get to know what to believe and how Thompson wanted to portray himself as a writer. A nessesity for Thompson studies.
bigmuzz
interviews with dr gonzo himself, from all through his life and times. full of crazy antics and rambling intellect, any thompson fan would know what to expect. one negative is that the book can get a bit repetitive after awhile, as many interviews cover the same questions and stories. but interesting nevertheless...
Ryan
OK, so I'm a Thomson fanboy and not likely to render a harsh verdict on a collection of interviews with the Man Himself. That said, a lot of these are genuinely inciteful, especially when he's able to slip out of the persona he crafted for himself but which eventually came to aggravate him so thoroughly.
Jordan
I find it hard to read books of purely interviews, but there was some very interesting stuff from the man himself in there. A lot of it is the same information over and over because the interviewers asked the same questions. Interesting but I ended up skipping a bunch of the middle.
James
Great new arrangement of interviews and commentary by the late doctor. A seemingly nonstop collection of "Man, I wish I'd said or wrote that!" moments.
Tina
Not interested in reading the "wisdom" of an egomaniac (his words not mine)...I put it down.
Franko
Really interseting though lots of the interviews repeated the same questions but that was expected.
Ray Charbonneau
HST is fun and spot on as usual, but it gets sort of repetitious.
Stuart
Some good interviews here, especially the one with PJ O'Rourke.
Velvetink
Aug 03, 2013 Velvetink marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
pdf [Anita_Thompson,_Christopher_Hitchens]_Ancient_Gon(BookFi.org)
Jason
read the post 9/11 interviews!
Tim Batcup
Tim Batcup marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Niki
Niki marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
  • Outlaw Journalist
  • The Gonzo Way: A Celebration of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
  • The Joke's Over: Ralph Steadman on Hunter S. Thompson
  • The Kitchen Readings: Untold Stories of Hunter S. Thompson
  • The Berlin-Baghdad Express: The Ottoman Empire and Germany's Bid for World Power
  • An Age Like This: 1920-1940 (The Collected Essays, Journalism & Letters, Vol. 1)
  • Australia
  • The Prophet Outcast: Trotsky, 1929-1940
  • Death Sentences: How Cliches, Weasel Words and Management-Speak Are Strangling Public Language
  • Hunter: The Strange and Savage Life of Hunter S. Thompson
  • The Case of the Pope
  • Saviors and Survivors: Darfur, Politics, and the War on Terror
  • What's Left?
  • In Praise of Doubt
Hunter Stockton Thompson was an American journalist and author, famous for his book Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. He is credited as the creator of Gonzo journalism, a style of reporting where reporters involve themselves in the action to such a degree that they become the central figures of their stories. He is also known for his promotion and use of psychedelics and other mind-altering substanc...more
More about Hunter S. Thompson...
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas The Rum Diary Hell's Angels: A Strange and Terrible Saga Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 The Great Shark Hunt: Strange Tales from a Strange Time (The Gonzo Papers, #1)