Start by marking “London Rising: The Men Who Made Modern London” as Want to Read:
London Rising: The Men Who Made Modern London

London Rising: The Men Who Made Modern London

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Like a phoenix from the ashes of the Great Fire of 1666, London was reborn to become the greatest metropolis of the age. London Rising tells the story of five extraordinary men and the city they transformed.

By the middle of the seventeenth century, London was on the verge of collapse. Its ancient infrastructure could no longer support its explosive growth; the English Civ
Published May 27th 2008 by Walker & Company (first published May 8th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about London Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about London Rising

Kimberly
This book provides a detailed overview of the events in London from the 1640's-1720. The lives of 5 men are the focus of the book: John Locke, Christopher Wren, John Evelyn, Nicholas Barbon and Robert Hooke. The Civil War is shown as the backdrop which shapes the childhoods and mindsets of these men. The central event of the book is the Great Fire of London; and the struggle to recreate the city. The book covers the reigns from King Charles II to King George I, the interactions between monarch, ...more
Tracey Sinclair
Well-researched and absorbing - if so densely written it's hard to read a lot at one time - this book looks at London in the 1660s-1700s, encompassing the Plague & Great Fire. Superficially, it's about St Paul's, but in fact examines the far broader background to the rebuilding. Will make you want to go wander round the Cathedral, and do a tour of Wren's churches. Recommended. http://www.bytethebook.com/recommenda...
Eliot Boden
No description I read about this book on the back cover really prepared me for the topic. It's more than a biography of notable historic figures, and far more than a history of the construction of St. Paul's Cathedral. London Rising tells the story of London's transformation from medieval town to mercantile city through the crucible of war, pestilence, and fire. It is a social, political, and scientific history of seventeenth-century England. Leo Hollis' book is a masterful blend of intriguing p ...more
Steve
This books covers a rather intense period of English history when it seemed that society itself would fall apart. Reading the opening chapter the I was struck by several parallels between 17th century England and early 21st century America. Once again the issues of religion and the course of the nation drove the English people to take sides and ultimately remove and beheaded Charles the First. It also was a time of great intellectual upheaval as well. Instead of Anglican versus Catholic
it became
Steve
The life stories of the main characters, Wren, Hooke, etc were interesting, but the quotes and references weighed the book down for me. I was more interested in the development of London at the time - after the Great Fire - than the politics and social stuff behind it all. Although there were a few illustrations I also felt that for a book with such a strong architectural slant that more of the buildings and stories detailed should have had illustrations to help envisage them.
Andrea
A thorough view of London becoming a city and views of the men who shaped the city. The wavering storyline is sometimes distracting-shifts from Wren to Locke, to James II randomly. The organization could be better. Yet, it covers everything. But in covering everything it surely tires the reader. At one point I took a break and re-read Locke's Essay on Human Understanding just to give myself a rest and focus on one thing instead of 15. Next on my list is Newton's Principia.
Lauren Albert
I found the book rather dull and the long sections of architectural detail tedious (especially without pictures to help those who can't visualize such things!). Like another reviewer said, it seemed disorganized--jumping back and forth between the main protagonists.
David Eppenstein
Another book not meant for the casual reader. This book will be enjoyed by the student of English history, architectural history and city planning. Its about Christopher Wren's re-build of London and St. Paul's after the Great Fire of 1666.
Converse
Group biography of how Christopher Wren, John Locke, John Evelyn, Robert Hooke, and Nicholas Barbon (the last a doctor turned real estate developer) changed the city after the September 1666 fire
Trevor Holcroft
Very interesting read. Quite revealing, not just for the work of Wren and Hooke which I knew about but for introducing me to the life of property developer Nicholas Barbon.
Hillary
Oct 08, 2009 Hillary added it
Shelves: library
Not bad, but not as good as other books I've read about these people/period.
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Wexford Tales
Wexford Tales is currently reading it
Oct 31, 2014
Rhi Myfanwy
Rhi Myfanwy marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Ahalya
Ahalya added it
Oct 04, 2014
Nikko
Nikko added it
Sep 30, 2014
Ngaio
Ngaio marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Mindy
Mindy marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Judie
Judie marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Chris Bowes
Chris Bowes marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Jeremy Annone
Jeremy Annone marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Cities Are Good for You: The Genius of the Metropolis The Stones of London: A History in Twelve Buildings. Leo Hollis Cities are Good for You: The Genius of the Metropolis Pick Your Brains About England (Pick Your Brains - Cadogan) The Cadogan Book of Historic London Walks (Cadogan Guide)