Start by marking “Is Underground (The Wolves Chronicles, #8)” as Want to Read:
Is Underground (The Wolves Chronicles, #8)

Is Underground (The Wolves Chronicles #8)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  380 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
The Children Of London Are Vanishing

No one knows why, so Is Twite, younger sister of Dido Twite (from Dido and Pa and Nightbirds on Nantucket), sets out to discover the whereabouts of Arun, her cousin, and Davie, the king's only son both missing.

Is soon finds herself aboard a secret midnight train heading north to Playland, a place of fun and frolic and dancing every nigh

Published July 1st 1995 by Yearling (first published May 14th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Is Underground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Is Underground

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingJonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna ClarkeThe Golden Compass by Philip PullmanNeverwhere by Neil GaimanThe Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
Alternate England
63rd out of 325 books — 269 voters
Coraline by Neil GaimanThe Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanThe Bad Beginning by Lemony SnicketMatilda by Roald DahlThe Witches by Roald Dahl
Best Books for Morbid Kids
450th out of 477 books — 381 voters

More lists with this book...

Nigel
Oct 31, 2014 Nigel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I love the Edward Gorey cover. Aiken and Gorey go together perfectly well. Aiken and Gorey sounds like the name of some sort of weird and gothic medical drama, sort of like House, if House investigated talking warts and haemogoblins and phantom limbs where you have an extra pair of hands doing unimaginable things you can feel but not see.

Is, half-sister of Dido, embarks on an adventure all her own, a particularly dark one as the children of London have been lured to the new kingdom set up in the
Miriam
Aug 15, 2014 Miriam rated it liked it
Shelves: adventure, younger
Blastburn is back, and it's badder, blacker, and child-abusinger than ever.

Unfortunately, Is is no Dido Twite. She's probably a better person is some ways, but she's not as entertaining as her wild and mouthy sister. That combined with the grimness of the situation for all the children made this kind of a dark read.
Kirsten
Feb 29, 2008 Kirsten rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-pre-12-07, own
A stand-alone continuation of the Wolves Chronicles, this excellent adventure features Dido Twite's younger half-sister, Is. Since the events of Dido & Pa, Is has settled happily with her older sister Penny. Their tranquil existence is interrupted, however, by a chance encouter with an uncle they never knew they had -- an uncle who, as his dying wish, charges Is to find her missing cousing Arun. Like Dido, Is is tough, resourceful, and honors her promises, so she heads off into the north cou ...more
Emmy
Feb 09, 2016 Emmy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
For the full review, check out my wordpress! https://emmyclarkeblog.wordpress.com/...

I've been rereading Joan Aiken’s Wolves Chronicles since early last year. I first read The Wolves of Willoughby Chase when I was ten, at my primary school’s book club. I remember being absolutely enchanted! Unable to wait a whole week to find out what happened next, I did a very cheeky thing and stuffed ‘my’ copy in my bag when it was time to go home. I read the whole book in one sitting, and felt very proud and
Celeste Ng
Jun 16, 2007 Celeste Ng rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids and wannabe kids
In this book our heroine is Dido's sister (though she feels and acts much like Dido) and the setting is an immense mine where children are forced into labor. Completely immersing and surprisingly complex.
Dormouse
Feb 11, 2008 Dormouse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who read
Shelves: ya
It was good and interesting and exciting.
I would now like to read more books by Joan Aiken.
Robin
May 01, 2016 Robin rated it really liked it
Originally titled Is, this book took its present title when it was re-published in the U.S. By naming it after its main character Is Twite, younger sister of the illustrious Dido, Joan Aiken ensured the ninth(?) installment in the Wolves Chronicles (after The Wolves of Willoughby Chase, Black Hearts in Battersea, Nightbirds on Nantucket, The Whispering Mountain, The Stolen Lake, Limbo Lodge a.k.a. Dangerous Games, The Cuckoo Tree and Dido and Pa) would be practically impossible to locate in an i ...more
Julie H.
Jul 02, 2011 Julie H. rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-timeless
Is Underground is the story of a young girl obligated by a deathbed request to investigate the fate of children spirited northward from London on the Playland Express. Sent to work in the mines, pottery, and/or foundry of an underground city, children toil from the age of five to 20 in the mines where "Boys in Playland comes and goes faster than raindrops" (p. 52).

Set in 19th-century England, the story is full of political intrigue, class-warfare, unfed and mistreated children. More important, h
Jane
Mar 04, 2015 Jane rated it really liked it
Is Twite, the redoubtable Dido's younger sister, proves to be just as brave and funny in this adventure. On to her next! As I read this series, I'm musing on the Twite family: why is it that all the women are so good, and the men such scoundrels? No answer, but their adventures make great reading.
Anthony Faber
Feb 11, 2014 Anthony Faber rated it it was amazing
Wolves #8. Takes up where "Dido and Pa" left off. Is goes off on her own adventure. I'm noticing that these books are all alike. Plucky youngster gets mixed up in some mischief being done by wealthy, powerful people and puts a stop to it. Pretty well written, but...
Ben Chenoweth
Mar 24, 2011 Ben Chenoweth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a contrast to the last book I read! This one was brilliantly paced, with a fascinating plot and great characters. But the highlight of any Joan Aiken book is the language, and this one has it in spades. English regional dialects leap off the page. And she appears to make up words (or at least unexpected derivations of real words) that add to the charm. All in all, Is is highly recommended.
Jenn Estepp
Feb 10, 2016 Jenn Estepp rated it liked it
in this volume of the wolves chronicles, dido passes the mantle to little half-sister is, who finds herself looking for a long-lost cousin up in the north country. the beginning/set-up was a little too much pinocchio/land of lost boys for me. but, i loved is's development as a character and the supporting cast are typically great. as is the nefarious villain and his comeuppance.
Kezz
Jun 13, 2015 Kezz rated it it was amazing
I found the story very interesting, and couldn't wait to find out what would happen next.
Also, Gold Kingy was such a jerk :P
The only problem is that it took a while for things to happen (which was a good thing, because the suspense was well built), but I found it ended a bit too abruptly.
I give it a 4.5 stars :)
Lia Marcoux
Apr 30, 2013 Lia Marcoux rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this book. Probably my favorite of the Wolves Chronicles (and it doesn't even have Dido). Spooky and massively original.
linnea
Sep 08, 2012 linnea rated it really liked it
read this book a long time ago. all I remember is that it's awesome.
Carole
Jun 03, 2013 Carole rated it really liked it
I definitely want to read more books by this author.
Jan Yip
Nov 01, 2011 Jan Yip rated it it was amazing
Another childhood favorite.....
jennifer
cat boy! only one left :/
Jody Mena
Jody Mena marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Cherie Bush
Cherie Bush marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Weeks
Weeks marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Palathene
Palathene marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Nate Billy
Nate Billy marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Nico M
Nico M rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Brian Rochester
Brian Rochester rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Amy Worrall
Amy Worrall rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
  • The Wizard in the Tree
  • Black Maria
  • Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze
  • Crimson Spell, Vol. 5
  • The Well-Wishers (Tales of Magic, #6)
  • To Visit the Queen (Cats of Grand Central, #2)
  • The Broken Forest
  • End of Term (The Marlows, #4)
  • The Story of the Amulet (Five Children, #3)
  • Linnets and Valerians
  • She Was Nice To Mice: The Other Side of Elizabeth I's Character Never Before Revealed by Previous Historians
  • St Patricks Gargoyle
  • Black Jack
  • The Whisper of Glocken (The Minnipins, #2)
  • Fireweed
  • Moominpappa at Sea (The Moomins, #8)
  • Fog Magic
  • I Walk in Dread: The Diary of Deliverance Trembley, Witness to the Salem Witch Trials, Massachusetts Bay Colony, 1691
12075
Joan Aiken was a much loved English writer who received the MBE for services to Children's Literature. Her most famous classic, THE WOLVES OF WILLOUGHBY CHASE has been in print for over 50 years with a new AUDIO recorded by her daughter Lizza. She was known as a writer of wild fantasy, Gothic novels and unforgettable short stories.
NEW COLLECTION 2016 - The People in The Castle https://www.goodread
More about Joan Aiken...

The Wolves Chronicles (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles, #1)
  • Black Hearts in Battersea (The Wolves Chronicles, #2)
  • Nightbirds on Nantucket (The Wolves Chronicles, #3)
  • The Stolen Lake (The Wolves Chronicles, #4)
  • Dangerous Games (The Wolves Chronicles, #5)
  • The Cuckoo Tree (The Wolves Chronicles, #6)
  • Dido and Pa (The Wolves Chronicles, #7)
  • Cold Shoulder Road (The Wolves Chronicles, #9)
  • Midwinter Nightingale (The Wolves Chronicles, #10)
  • The Witch of Clatteringshaws (The Wolves Chronicles, #11)

“She thought about Penny’s stories. There was one about a man who had three wishes and married a swan. If I had three wishes, I know what I’d wish for, thought Is. I’d wish for those two boys to be found, and for us all to be back on Blackheath Edge. She thought about Penny teaching her to read. “What’s the point of reading?” Is had grumbled at first. “You can allus tell me stories, that’s better than reading.” “I’ll not always be here,” Penny had said shortly. “Besides, once you can read, you can learn somebody else. Folk should teach each other what they know.” “Why?” “If you don’t learn anything, you don’t grow. And someone’s gotta learn you.”

Well, thought Is, if I get outta here, I’ll be able to learn some other person the best way to get free from a rolled-up rug.”
9 likes