Start by marking “A Table By The Window ” as Want to Read:
A Table By The Window
Lawana Blackwell

A Table By The Window

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  367 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Unexpected news of a large inheritance brings a woman to a Southern small town and into both romance and mystery.

Having survived a tumultuous childhood, Carley has fashioned an orderly life for herself in San Francisco. Then a private investigator brings her news of a large inheritance-and a house in Tallulah, Mississippi, from a grandmother she can barely remember. Carle

Published (first published April 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Table By The Window, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Table By The Window

I love books with independent female characters who find ways to strike out on their own and make a good life for themselves... women who, although fictional, inspire me to be stronger and better than I am. This is one of those books.
This is a book where almost nothing happens. I also found the subtle Christian overtones really offensive - be UP FRONT with your agenda, don't hide it in the form of a fictional novel. Also, the heroine, for someone who grew up in an incredibly abusive family is astoundingly well-adjusted, more so then the folks who had quite loving and decent families. I'm not saying that's impossible, but you have to explain HOW this woman healed herself so deeply and powerfully and we never hear that story. ...more
I usually associate Lawana Blackwell with historical fiction, so it was a bit of a surprise to find out that she also wrote stories set in contemporary times. When I first started reading A Table by the Window, I thought that the novel was a contemporary romance, but it is more of a story about a wounded and lost sheep returning to the Shepherd's fold. The wounded sheep in question is Carley Reed, a highschool English Literature teacher who suffered through a horrendous childhood with an alcohol ...more
All of the other books by this author are historical fiction. This one is modern. there is a simple plot, with a few exciting spots. Very clean, good reader. Loved it!
Jennifer Fluegge
The first and only contemporary novel by Lawana Blackwell. Very good, well-written. Wish she would write another contemporary one!
Cute story that held my interest. I found myself rooting for the main character, Carley, and wanting to experience small town living. Miss Blackwell made it very appealing. The outcome was predictable so not a lot of twists, but I really did enjoy the story. Nice young teacher leaves job and big city to build a new life with new found relatives. Changes her career path to do something she dreams about and something that would benefit the small community, and more. Oh, and yes, there is a whoduni ...more
I love this simple little story. In a small town setting love can bloom. There is no trashy in this novel.
Gary Furrow
A good book

This book is about a young lady with a horrible past, as a child she was abused and as an adult she never seem to fit in.

Her grandmother died after some money in the home in a small town in Mississippi . After a good business decision she moved to the town , opened up a café, and became a part of it.

The story of how she helps to solve a murder and brings peace to numbers of town adds more dimension to the book. It truly is a good southern story. And, if you like southern novels, yo
Enjoyable story, although rather slow moving. The main character endured a very difficult childhood (neglect from her mother and abuse at the hands of others) and I liked the way she was portrayed: determined, somewhat suspicious of others yet longing for that connection BUT I also feel like someone who'd endured all that would have had a much harder time dealing with the past.

The Southern small town setting was nice, but I just wish that the story itself had some stronger elements - a true myst
Emily Higgins
Carly had a tumultuous childhood with an alcoholic, irresponsible mother. She put herself through college and became a teacher. Several years after her mother's death, she found out that her grandmother had died and left her a modest inheritance. Carly flew to Mississippi to see the home her grandmother had left to her and to meet relatives she had not known before. This is a very well-written book. The story is told in such a way that nothing much seems to be happening, but is hard to put down.
This book was very disappointing and frustrating to me. There was very little mystery, suspense, or danger, and mostly just in the final pages. Even worse, though, for me, was how unrealistically the author portrayed the damage an adult (even a Christian one) suffers from childhood abuse. Not only was the heroine sexually abused by a stepfather, but she was severely neglected, abandoned, and not taught by any parent how to interact with people, have healthy boundaries or relationships, etc.

Brenda Dickenson
A revealing book about life, childhood and the future you create.

This is a page turner about a young girl who was abused and neglected as a child. But Carley doesn't let that keep her from moving forward. When she inherits her grandmother's property she learns of family she didn't know who love her and encourage her. She then meets a teenage girl a lot like she was and so Carley learns to love and encourage others as she finds a way back to God. A good Christian mystery that I really enjoyed.
Too black and white and very 2 dimensional characters. So little ambiguity which makes for an interesting story. It was okay if you had nothing better to do. the only really interesting character was Blake - he of the big mouth. Too many do gooders and while the Christian message doesn't put me off it wasn't my cup of tea.
Lorraine Weaver
Wonderful story

This book is a really good story. I loved the characters and could not stop reading once I started. I wish the author would write a sequel, I would love to find out what happens to the characters in the book. Even though I didn't want to stop, I didn't want it to end either.
 Barbara A. Spinneweber
Very good book.

very enjoyable read. kept my
interest throughout. recommend to anyone who believes in family and second chances. God's love is felt in the pages of this book.
This is a departure from this author's usual historical fiction in that it takes place in modern day California and Mississippi. It is clean and for me had plenty of suspense and character growth.
Nancy Mancl
Good read.

This book was interesting and kept my attention. I would recommend to friends. Even though I figured out the ending, I was surprised at who the heroine was.
Sarah Southerland
I love this author's way of bringing us into her characters' lives. I didn't care for the mystery of this book so much, but I still enjoyed the book and characters.
Maria Porter
This book was very different from Lawanna Blackwell's historical fiction series. I enjoyed the story and found it a quick read. It's not a book I would tells friends they "must" read but it was entertaining.
Very enjoyable!

I love the way this author writes! She writes from a spiritual perspective but doesn't try to proselytize. I will read anything she writes!

the woman in this book was one who had an abusive childhood and didn't realize she had family that cared for her.
Anita  Awuor
When I started reading it didn't realize it was Christian Lit. Beautifully written, relatable, doesn't jam religion down your throat.
Good story

This is my first book by Lawana. I really liked it. Lots of mystery and grace. I hope lots of small towns live like this one. Very neighborly.
This book was not what I was expecting but ended up being my favorite book read this summer.
Laurie B
I found this too boring to finish. The narrator didn't help, and was tiring to listen to.
I have loved every book I have read by Blackwell and this one is no exception.
Portions of this book were really enjoyable--but the disjointed way the paragraph structure was organized made it difficult for me to really give it 3 stars. Many times I would be reading, move to the next paragraph and realize I had no idea what the newest sentence was talking about-the lack of connecting and organized words here and there made it difficult to understand the plot line. The story also really prolongs the mystery segment in the story and then sums it up way too quickly, in my opi ...more
This was an "eh" book. My library listed this as a mystery, but it lacked the main characteristics to qualify it as such--until the last several chapters. It was not suspenseful; it was not dramatic; it was not gripping. It was a pleasant story. I did not realize it was Christian fiction. (I have no objections to Christian fiction, but it was not what I was looking for.) Safe, no cursing, no inappropriate relationships, with a salvation message to boot. I do not know if I would recommend this bo ...more
A friend sent me this book months ago and it sat on the end table until yesterday. I couldn't put it down, probably the best book I've read in a long time. Takes place in a small town in Mississippi. Carley (main character) comes to inherit a home left from a grandmother she only remembers as a small child. Carley moves to Tullulah and makes friends and turns her life in a new direction. A nice book to read maybe on a rainy day or when you've no where to go and nothing else to do. Highly recomme ...more
Great read!

Enjoyed the storyline and characters in this book. One of those books you think about when your not able to read!
  • Northpointe Chalet (Austen Series, #4)
  • Fair Game
  • Pink
  • Promise Me Always (Pinky Promise Sisterhood, #1)
  • Oklahoma Weddings
  • No Dark Valley
  • The Winds of Sonoma (Regalo Grande #1)
  • Blind Dates: Four Stories of Hearts United with a Little Help from Grandma
  • Dream a Little Dream (Mule Hollow, #4)
  • Too Good To Be True
  • A Soldier's Family (Wings of Refuge, #2)
  • Love's Haven
  • Bookends
  • Everyday Blessings (The McKaslin Clan: Series 3, #4)
  • Deep Dixie
  • Taming Rafe (Noble Legacy, #2)
  • White Chocolate Moments
  • Colorado
Lawana Blackwell is a full-time writer with 10 published novels, including the bestselling Gresham Chronicles series. She and her husband have three grown sons and live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
More about Lawana Blackwell...