Start by marking “A Table By The Window ” as Want to Read:
A Table By The Window

Lawana Blackwell

A Table By The Window

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  437 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
Unexpected news of a large inheritance brings a woman to a Southern small town and into both romance and mystery.

Having survived a tumultuous childhood, Carley has fashioned an orderly life for herself in San Francisco. Then a private investigator brings her news of a large inheritance-and a house in Tallulah, Mississippi, from a grandmother she can barely remember. Carle

Published (first published April 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Table By The Window, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Table By The Window

Taija
Apr 14, 2009 Taija rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I love books with independent female characters who find ways to strike out on their own and make a good life for themselves... women who, although fictional, inspire me to be stronger and better than I am. This is one of those books.
Tristy
Sep 08, 2012 Tristy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women, fiction, scavenged
This is a book where almost nothing happens. I also found the subtle Christian overtones really offensive - be UP FRONT with your agenda, don't hide it in the form of a fictional novel. Also, the heroine, for someone who grew up in an incredibly abusive family is astoundingly well-adjusted, more so then the folks who had quite loving and decent families. I'm not saying that's impossible, but you have to explain HOW this woman healed herself so deeply and powerfully and we never hear that story. ...more
Carrie
Sep 05, 2015 Carrie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I usually associate Lawana Blackwell with historical fiction, so it was a bit of a surprise to find out that she also wrote stories set in contemporary times. When I first started reading A Table by the Window, I thought that the novel was a contemporary romance, but it is more of a story about a wounded and lost sheep returning to the Shepherd's fold. The wounded sheep in question is Carley Reed, a highschool English Literature teacher who suffered through a horrendous childhood with an alcohol ...more
Justinbearb
Stacy
An older book that I had downloaded and put off reading, for whatever reason. I had read one by Lawanna Blackwell before, the Widow of Larkspur Lane, and really enjoyed it. I guess I always thought she was British, but I found out (at the end of this book) that she is from Baton Rouge! Or at least she was living there when she wrote this book. This one is set in fictional Tallulah MS, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading her tidbits about life in my home state, and things/places/food/etc that she go ...more
Bonnie
Jul 23, 2008 Bonnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All of the other books by this author are historical fiction. This one is modern. there is a simple plot, with a few exciting spots. Very clean, good reader. Loved it!
Jennifer Fluegge
The first and only contemporary novel by Lawana Blackwell. Very good, well-written. Wish she would write another contemporary one!
Dlafave
Sep 07, 2015 Dlafave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story that held my interest. I found myself rooting for the main character, Carley, and wanting to experience small town living. Miss Blackwell made it very appealing. The outcome was predictable so not a lot of twists, but I really did enjoy the story. Nice young teacher leaves job and big city to build a new life with new found relatives. Changes her career path to do something she dreams about and something that would benefit the small community, and more. Oh, and yes, there is a whoduni ...more
Shelley
Oct 13, 2008 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this simple little story. In a small town setting love can bloom. There is no trashy in this novel.
Gary Furrow
Aug 14, 2015 Gary Furrow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book

This book is about a young lady with a horrible past, as a child she was abused and as an adult she never seem to fit in.

Her grandmother died after some money in the home in a small town in Mississippi . After a good business decision she moved to the town , opened up a café, and became a part of it.

The story of how she helps to solve a murder and brings peace to numbers of town adds more dimension to the book. It truly is a good southern story. And, if you like southern novels, yo
Trish
Aug 20, 2015 Trish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable story, although rather slow moving. The main character endured a very difficult childhood (neglect from her mother and abuse at the hands of others) and I liked the way she was portrayed: determined, somewhat suspicious of others yet longing for that connection BUT I also feel like someone who'd endured all that would have had a much harder time dealing with the past.

The Southern small town setting was nice, but I just wish that the story itself had some stronger elements - a true myst
Emily Higgins
Aug 17, 2014 Emily Higgins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family-drama
Carly had a tumultuous childhood with an alcoholic, irresponsible mother. She put herself through college and became a teacher. Several years after her mother's death, she found out that her grandmother had died and left her a modest inheritance. Carly flew to Mississippi to see the home her grandmother had left to her and to meet relatives she had not known before. This is a very well-written book. The story is told in such a way that nothing much seems to be happening, but is hard to put down.
Bonita
This book was very disappointing and frustrating to me. There was very little mystery, suspense, or danger, and mostly just in the final pages. Even worse, though, for me, was how unrealistically the author portrayed the damage an adult (even a Christian one) suffers from childhood abuse. Not only was the heroine sexually abused by a stepfather, but she was severely neglected, abandoned, and not taught by any parent how to interact with people, have healthy boundaries or relationships, etc.

Yet
Brenda Dickenson
Aug 26, 2015 Brenda Dickenson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A revealing book about life, childhood and the future you create.

This is a page turner about a young girl who was abused and neglected as a child. But Carley doesn't let that keep her from moving forward. When she inherits her grandmother's property she learns of family she didn't know who love her and encourage her. She then meets a teenage girl a lot like she was and so Carley learns to love and encourage others as she finds a way back to God. A good Christian mystery that I really enjoyed.
Lillie
The book kept me interested enough to keep reading, but it moved slowly. It seems that every detail of the heroine's life was mentioned--what she ate at every meal, who she spoke to as she passed them on the street, when she made or received a phone call. I would have enjoyed the story more if some of the extraneous material had been omitted. However, I like the plot and the main character.
Heidi
Jan 27, 2016 Heidi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So boring and unrealistic. There were parts of this book that just sucked you in but unfortunately those were few and far between. Carley was a young woman that overcame a horrible childhood and was given an inheritance that changed her life. There seemed to be so many loose ends and then quickly wrapped up without really having any closure.
Jean Cowden
Jul 29, 2016 Jean Cowden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book. A woman with no family inherits her grandmother's house in Mississippi. She finds she has aunts and cousins there. At first, she means to sell the house then loves her relatives and moves there. The people of the small town become friends. As the book goes on a tragic mystery from the past surfaces and shocks, everyone.
Maylin
Aug 30, 2015 Maylin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too black and white and very 2 dimensional characters. So little ambiguity which makes for an interesting story. It was okay if you had nothing better to do. the only really interesting character was Blake - he of the big mouth. Too many do gooders and while the Christian message doesn't put me off it wasn't my cup of tea.
Lorraine Weaver
Aug 16, 2015 Lorraine Weaver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story

This book is a really good story. I loved the characters and could not stop reading once I started. I wish the author would write a sequel, I would love to find out what happens to the characters in the book. Even though I didn't want to stop, I didn't want it to end either.
Shauna
Jan 08, 2016 Shauna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think this book tries to do too much, and as a result I felt like it just couldn't decide what it wanted to be. Thus, it was just OK for me. I have also read Blackwell's "Widow of Larkspur Inn," which I enjoyed much better.
 Barbara A. Spinneweber
Very good book.

very enjoyable read. kept my
interest throughout. recommend to anyone who believes in family and second chances. God's love is felt in the pages of this book.
Mary
Apr 07, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a departure from this author's usual historical fiction in that it takes place in modern day California and Mississippi. It is clean and for me had plenty of suspense and character growth.
Nancy Mancl
Aug 23, 2015 Nancy Mancl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read.

This book was interesting and kept my attention. I would recommend to friends. Even though I figured out the ending, I was surprised at who the heroine was.
Denise Fusco
Apr 06, 2016 Denise Fusco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suspenseful

I really enjoyed watching Carley and Brooke's relationship grow. And the suspense of Dales past unraveling. I would recommend this to my friends.
Sarah Southerland
Aug 26, 2015 Sarah Southerland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this author's way of bringing us into her characters' lives. I didn't care for the mystery of this book so much, but I still enjoyed the book and characters.
Maria Porter
This book was very different from Lawanna Blackwell's historical fiction series. I enjoyed the story and found it a quick read. It's not a book I would tells friends they "must" read but it was entertaining.
JRH
Nov 27, 2014 JRH rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable!

I love the way this author writes! She writes from a spiritual perspective but doesn't try to proselytize. I will read anything she writes!
Marilyn
Aug 29, 2015 Marilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

the woman in this book was one who had an abusive childhood and didn't realize she had family that cared for her.
Anita  Awuor
Oct 04, 2014 Anita Awuor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I started reading it didn't realize it was Christian Lit. Beautifully written, relatable, doesn't jam religion down your throat.
Marilyn
Oct 03, 2015 Marilyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good story

This is my first book by Lawana. I really liked it. Lots of mystery and grace. I hope lots of small towns live like this one. Very neighborly.
  • Fair Game
  • Reason and Romance (Austen Series, #2)
  • Pink
  • Promise Me Always (Pinky Promise Sisterhood, #1)
  • Vermont Weddings: Dear Granny/The Long Trail to Love/Sweet Sugared Love (Heartsong Novella Collection)
  • No Dark Valley
  • Oklahoma Weddings
  • Love's Haven
  • Dream a Little Dream (Mule Hollow, #4)
  • Too Good To Be True
  • Colorado
  • Single Sashimi (Sushi, #3)
  • Everyday Blessings (The McKaslin Clan: Series 3, #4)
  • Taming Rafe (Noble Legacy, #2)
  • Blind Dates: Four Stories of Hearts United with a Little Help from Grandma
  • A Soldier's Family (Wings of Refuge, #2)
  • Chateau of Echoes
  • Newlywed Games
Lawana Blackwell is a full-time writer with 10 published novels, including the bestselling Gresham Chronicles series. She and her husband have three grown sons and live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
More about Lawana Blackwell...