Start by marking “A Table By The Window ” as Want to Read:
A Table By The Window

Lawana Blackwell

A Table By The Window

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  242 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Unexpected news of a large inheritance brings a woman to a Southern small town and into both romance and mystery.

Having survived a tumultuous childhood, Carley has fashioned an orderly life for herself in San Francisco. Then a private investigator brings her news of a large inheritance-and a house in Tallulah, Mississippi, from a grandmother she can barely remember. Carle

Published (first published April 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Table By The Window, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Table By The Window

Taija
I love books with independent female characters who find ways to strike out on their own and make a good life for themselves... women who, although fictional, inspire me to be stronger and better than I am. This is one of those books.
Bonnie
All of the other books by this author are historical fiction. This one is modern. there is a simple plot, with a few exciting spots. Very clean, good reader. Loved it!
Jennifer Fluegge
The first and only contemporary novel by Lawana Blackwell. Very good, well-written. Wish she would write another contemporary one!
Shelley
I love this simple little story. In a small town setting love can bloom. There is no trashy in this novel.
Emily Higgins
Carly had a tumultuous childhood with an alcoholic, irresponsible mother. She put herself through college and became a teacher. Several years after her mother's death, she found out that her grandmother had died and left her a modest inheritance. Carly flew to Mississippi to see the home her grandmother had left to her and to meet relatives she had not known before. This is a very well-written book. The story is told in such a way that nothing much seems to be happening, but is hard to put down.
Bonita
This book was very disappointing and frustrating to me. There was very little mystery, suspense, or danger, and mostly just in the final pages. Even worse, though, for me, was how unrealistically the author portrayed the damage an adult (even a Christian one) suffers from childhood abuse. Not only was the heroine sexually abused by a stepfather, but she was severely neglected, abandoned, and not taught by any parent how to interact with people, have healthy boundaries or relationships, etc.

Yet
Tristy
This is a book where almost nothing happens. I also found the subtle Christian overtones really offensive - be UP FRONT with your agenda, don't hide it in the form of a fictional novel. Also, the heroine, for someone who grew up in an incredibly abusive family is astoundingly well-adjusted, more so then the folks who had quite loving and decent families. I'm not saying that's impossible, but you have to explain HOW this woman healed herself so deeply and powerfully and we never hear that story. ...more
 Barbara A. Spinneweber
Very good book.

very enjoyable read. kept my
interest throughout. recommend to anyone who believes in family and second chances. God's love is felt in the pages of this book.
Mary
This is a departure from this author's usual historical fiction in that it takes place in modern day California and Mississippi. It is clean and for me had plenty of suspense and character growth.
Maria Porter
This book was very different from Lawanna Blackwell's historical fiction series. I enjoyed the story and found it a quick read. It's not a book I would tells friends they "must" read but it was entertaining.
Julie Halfpop-Career/Tech Ed
Very enjoyable!

I love the way this author writes! She writes from a spiritual perspective but doesn't try to proselytize. I will read anything she writes!
Yuanita
When I started reading it didn't realize it was Christian Lit. Beautifully written, relatable, doesn't jam religion down your throat.
Bexbooks
This book was not what I was expecting but ended up being my favorite book read this summer.
Laurie B
I found this too boring to finish. The narrator didn't help, and was tiring to listen to.
Michelle
Portions of this book were really enjoyable--but the disjointed way the paragraph structure was organized made it difficult for me to really give it 3 stars. Many times I would be reading, move to the next paragraph and realize I had no idea what the newest sentence was talking about-the lack of connecting and organized words here and there made it difficult to understand the plot line. The story also really prolongs the mystery segment in the story and then sums it up way too quickly, in my opi ...more
Jessica
This was an "eh" book. My library listed this as a mystery, but it lacked the main characteristics to qualify it as such--until the last several chapters. It was not suspenseful; it was not dramatic; it was not gripping. It was a pleasant story. I did not realize it was Christian fiction. (I have no objections to Christian fiction, but it was not what I was looking for.) Safe, no cursing, no inappropriate relationships, with a salvation message to boot. I do not know if I would recommend this bo ...more
Judy
A friend sent me this book months ago and it sat on the end table until yesterday. I couldn't put it down, probably the best book I've read in a long time. Takes place in a small town in Mississippi. Carley (main character) comes to inherit a home left from a grandmother she only remembers as a small child. Carley moves to Tullulah and makes friends and turns her life in a new direction. A nice book to read maybe on a rainy day or when you've no where to go and nothing else to do. Highly recomme ...more
Carolyn
Very good story, tragic, but great!
Alison
The fact that this book is supposed to be a mystery and the mystery didn't come until about page 300 is what made me really not like this book.

In addition, the characters aren't too exciting, the main character talks more about what food she's going to serve at her cafe than anything else.

I found the book to be pretty boring overall.
Duane
To say that I was pleasantly surprised would not be doing justice to Lawana Blackwell. I had already two of her series and found her to be an excellent writer and story teller. So reading this stand alone novel "A Table By the Window", I expected it would be equally good and I was not disappointed. I highly recommend it.
Sierra Beatty
I liked this book but it is not my favorite. She makes comments on how troubled childhood adults are "stronger" but they are not always so. They can be hard and unforgiving, I did not come from a "bad home" but I see what can happen to these children. Good storyline, okay character development.
Susan
I enjoyed this book, while she is known as a Christian Fiction romantic writer and most of her books are set in Victorian England, this book was not. It was sent in present day, small town Mississippi. I enjoyed the book. Lawana Blackwell really is wonderful at bringing her characters alive. Recommend.
Kelle
This is the story of a woman who inherits money from a grandmother she never knew. She resettles herself in a small southern town and "finds" herself. There were a lot of diverse characters which I enjoyed. It wasn't the traditional book. I really enjoyed her writing style.
Angela
I found Carley to be relatable, so I'm biased in that sense. I enjoyed reading the bond her and Brooke developed throughout the book. I'm also a foodie and love coffee shops so I was a sucker for the details about the menu. I wish they had a followup to this book.
Carolyn
Good read. The mystery sneaked up on me. At first it looked like it was a regular romance story with two possible beaus. Ah, but it became more than that half way through the story and didn't get tense until the last few chapters. Enjoyable Lawana Blackwell.
Nicole Long
It was a very nice read, and I did enjoy it. Some parts were a little elementary, and at times, the reader was a little robotic (purchased through audible.com). Still, over all I enjoyed both the story and the reader, and would recommend the book to friends.

Saralyn
A good Christian semi-mystery. I liked the easy-going pace that allowed you to get to know the characters. I never did get the significance of the title, but maybe I skipped that paragraph. :) Not a thriller by any means, but a very comfortable book.
Francie ( glitter glu )
this is the first book i read by this author i didn't like. it didn't start to pick until the end and even then it was kinda okay.
Lizzy
Cute story line, but felt like I was all over the place in the story. Too many people introduced and useless information added.
Nona
Good but I like her historical novels better. This one only had the one story line unlike her multiple characters in the historical ones.
  • Northpointe Chalet (Austen Series, #4)
  • Dream a Little Dream (Mule Hollow, #4)
  • Promise Me Always (Pinky Promise Sisterhood, #1)
  • Oklahoma Weddings
  • Off the Record
  • Blind Dates: Four Stories of Hearts United with a Little Help from Grandma
  • Taming Rafe (Noble Legacy #2)
  • Chateau of Echoes
  • Too Good To Be True
  • Bookends
  • No Dark Valley (The Derby Series #5)
  • Newlywed Games
  • Single Sashimi
  • Colorado: Megan's Choice/Em's Only Chance/Lisa's Broken Arrow/Banjo's New Song (Heartsong Novella Collection)
  • Everyday Blessings (The McKaslin Clan: Series 3, #4)
  • White Chocolate Moments
  • It Had to Be You
  • A Stitch in Time: Basket Stitch/Double Cross/Spider Web Rose/Double Running
Lawana Blackwell is a full-time writer with 10 published novels, including the bestselling Gresham Chronicles series. She and her husband have three grown sons and live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
More about Lawana Blackwell...
The Widow of Larkspur Inn (Gresham Chronicles #1) The Courtship of the Vicar's Daughter (Gresham Chronicles #2) The Dowry Of Miss Lydia Clark (Gresham Chronicles #3) The Jewel of Gresham Green (Gresham Chronicles #4) The Maiden of Mayfair (Tales of London #1)