Start by marking “The New Gold Standard: 5 Leadership Principles for Creating a Legendary Customer Experience Courtesy of the Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company” as Want to Read:

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Discover the secrets of world-class leadership!

When it comes to refined service and exquisite hospitality, one name stands high above the rest: The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company. With ceaseless attention to every luxurious detail, the company has set the bar for creating memorable customer experiences in world-class settings. Now, for the first time, the leadership secrets be
Published July 4th 2008 by McGraw-Hill (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The New Gold Standard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Gold Standard

John
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Though I am not naturally inclined to read business books, I found that this one to be accessable and to flow well throughout the book. While most business books I have read spend too much time talking about mission statements and vision statements and other corp-speak that sounds good on paper, but rarely makes it into practice, this book showed how the ladies and gentlemen of Ritz Carlton make it happen on a day to day basis.

The real difference for that
E
An inside look at the Ritz-Carlton

Even if you’ve never stayed at a luxurious Ritz-Carlton hotel, you are likely to know of the hospitality chain’s sterling reputation. Few companies enjoy such powerful brand recognition; after all, the word “ritzy” has become part of the English vocabulary. Incredibly, no one ever wrote a corporate biography about The Ritz-Carlton, and its secrets of success and service, until Joseph A. Michelli took on this project. He details the five principles Ritz-Carlton e
Rhonda Sue
Very good information on how to run a quality centered organization or excellence. I recently stayed at a Ritz Carlton and recall many of the employees saying "my pleasure." I enjoyed reading about how the Ritz fosters a culture of excellent customer service throughout their international hotels from bottom up. I hope to bring some of this knowledge to the organizations I"m involved with.
Josh Franklin
After reading this book, I will definitely try out a night at a Ritz Carleton hotel..... when and if i have the money...

But I will also take many of the lessons from the success of the Ritz-Carlton Hotels with me into my life as a rabbi. Michelli does a great job of weaving in narratives and principles of the RC's success. He creates a vivid portrait of the Ritz Carleton experience from top to bottom. This book is for anyone who wants to learn how to expand the way that they think about custome
Laurent
didn't like the book, too much name dropping
Grant
A must read for everyone... Not just those in the service or hotelier industry.
Cameron
This was okay. There's a few good points in here, but if anyone wants to read it, I would recommend just skimming and reading only the sidebars. But ignore the biographical ones, just look for the ones with resources in them. Reading crappy books has put me in a foul mood.
Keisha Kennedy
There are lots of great tid bits to be gathered from this book that I think if followed could help a company go from good to great! I'm very excited to implement some of the new gold standard into my business and for my employees!
Miro Nguyen
A detailed glance into the Ritz-Carlton world that can also be transformed into other business so that all can offer and be offered top-notch care and customer service. The world is truly a better place with Ritz-Carlton.
John
Although I do like this book, I've had to return the copy I was borrowing and haven't had time to look for it at the library. Hope to finish it in the near future.
Vincent Darlage
Good book on how to run an exemplary company. Good leadership principles. I liked that it also gave examples of where the company fell flat on its face.
Gretchen
Excellent lessons in training, management & culture for customer service environments. Easy read. My paper copy is marked up like crazy!
Des
This is a great book to read to understand how to provide a better customer experience and become a more effective manager.
Tracie
This was a really great book about an impressive company with an impressive customer service strategy. Highly recommend.
MaryAnn
Interesting book on how Ritz maintains its incredible service.
Jim
It's good, same message as other books of the genre.
Ron Mcintyre
Great insight but application to other industries is tough.
Betsy Macdonald
Good info. Want to incorporate so much of it!
Michelle Bonnema
Michelle Bonnema marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Joe Sanchez
Joe Sanchez is currently reading it
Jul 30, 2015
Ian Grossman
Ian Grossman marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Krystina
Krystina is currently reading it
Jul 26, 2015
Hanan
Hanan marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Jazzmin Reid
Jazzmin Reid marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Michael Kincaid
Michael Kincaid marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Sherri Dishon
Sherri Dishon marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
  • Exceptional Service, Exceptional Profit: The Secrets of Building a Five-Star Customer Service Organization
  • The Nordstrom Way: The Inside Story of America's #1 Customer Service Company
  • Culturematic: How Reality TV, John Cheever, a Pie Lab, Julia Child, Fantasy Football . . . Will Help You Create and Execute Breakthrough Ideas
  • Be Our Guest: Perfecting the art of customer service
  • Toyota Culture: The Heart and Soul of the Toyota Way
  • Awesomely Simple: Essential Business Strategies for Turning Ideas Into Action
  • Managing
  • Sprinkles: Creating Awesome Experiences Through Innovative Service
  • Smart Trust: How People, Companies, and Countries Are Prospering from High Trust in a Low Trust World
  • The Young Entrepreneur's Guide to Starting and Running a Business: Turn Your Ideas into Money!
  • The Game-Changer: How You Can Drive Revenue and Profit Growth with Innovation
  • Total Workday Control Using Microsoft Outlook
  • The Time Trap
  • You 2: A High Velocity Formula for Multiplying Your Personal Effectiveness in Quantum Leaps
The Starbucks Experience: 5 Principles for Turning Ordinary Into Extraordinary Zappos Experience Leading the Starbucks Way: 5 Principles for Connecting with Your Customers, Your Products and Your People Prescription for Excellence: Leadership Lessons for Creating a World-Class Customer Experience from UCLA Health System The Starbucks Experience: 5 Principles for Turning Ordinary Into Extraordinary

“Horst Schulze, cofounder and past president of The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, shares the origin of the Motto: “I started in the hotel business when I was 14 years old as a busboy. When my mother took me to the hotel to work for the first time, she said, ’We could never go to this hotel. This is only for important people. For important, fine people. So you’re lucky. Behave yourself. Wash your hands.’ She was a typical mother. I went to the hotel and the general manager talked to my mother and me for 15 minutes and told us we could never be like the guests who came to his hotel. ’So don’t ever get jealous. This is for Ladies and Gentlemen—very important people.’ “By the time I started working in the restaurant, I knew the guests were very important. But a few months later I realized that the maître d’ I watched every day was just as important because every guest was proud when he talked to them. Why? Because he was a first-class professional. He was somebody special—because of the excellence he created for the guests. So when I went to hotel school about a year and a half later, the teacher asked me to write a story describing what I felt about the business. And I wrote about the maître d’ at my hotel. I titled it, ’Ladies and Gentlemen Serving Ladies and Gentlemen.’ I wrote we could be excellent like he was. . .absolute excellence. When you walked into a room, you knew he was there. In any moment all of us who serve can be Ladies and Gentlemen, just like the guests. I think it’s a powerful thing that shouldn’t be missed by the wonderful people in this industry. They should understand that.” 0 likes