Start by marking “The New Gold Standard: 5 Leadership Principles for Creating a Legendary Customer Experience Courtesy of the Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company” as Want to Read:

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  257 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Discover the secrets of world-class leadership!

When it comes to refined service and exquisite hospitality, one name stands high above the rest: The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company. With ceaseless attention to every luxurious detail, the company has set the bar for creating memorable customer experiences in world-class settings. Now, for the first time, the leadership secrets be
Published July 4th 2008 by McGraw-Hill (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The New Gold Standard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Gold Standard

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyCrucial Conversations by Kerry PattersonThe Art of Startup Fundraising by Alejandro CremadesInfluencer by Kerry PattersonFirst, Break All the Rules by Marcus Buckingham
Top Management Books
57th out of 158 books — 131 voters
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThe Art of Startup Fundraising by Alejandro CremadesHow to be Successful in Present Day World by Pradeep ChaswalSecret to Startup Failure by Sonia LinHow to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
Leadership & Business Books
158th out of 159 books — 149 voters

More lists with this book...

Natalie
Jan 29, 2016 Natalie rated it really liked it
Inspiring stories of great service. Loved most of the anecdotes.
Anthony
Sep 16, 2015 Anthony rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hospitality
I work in hospitality industry and had a chance to talk to people from Ritz Carlton, including one General Manager.

After reading this book, as well as book by Bill Marriott I fell in love with the business. It is such a well-organized system.

I would like to point out several ideas:
The importance of listening
Continuous improvement- borrow ideas from other industries
The role of a leader is to support. Treat employees as you treat guests, if not better
Create a clear mission statement and credo. Co
John
Apr 07, 2010 John rated it liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Though I am not naturally inclined to read business books, I found that this one to be accessable and to flow well throughout the book. While most business books I have read spend too much time talking about mission statements and vision statements and other corp-speak that sounds good on paper, but rarely makes it into practice, this book showed how the ladies and gentlemen of Ritz Carlton make it happen on a day to day basis.

The real difference for that
E
Jun 01, 2009 E rated it really liked it
An inside look at the Ritz-Carlton

Even if you’ve never stayed at a luxurious Ritz-Carlton hotel, you are likely to know of the hospitality chain’s sterling reputation. Few companies enjoy such powerful brand recognition; after all, the word “ritzy” has become part of the English vocabulary. Incredibly, no one ever wrote a corporate biography about The Ritz-Carlton, and its secrets of success and service, until Joseph A. Michelli took on this project. He details the five principles Ritz-Carlton e
Rhonda Sue
Apr 26, 2015 Rhonda Sue rated it really liked it
Very good information on how to run a quality centered organization or excellence. I recently stayed at a Ritz Carlton and recall many of the employees saying "my pleasure." I enjoyed reading about how the Ritz fosters a culture of excellent customer service throughout their international hotels from bottom up. I hope to bring some of this knowledge to the organizations I"m involved with.
Josh Franklin
May 11, 2013 Josh Franklin rated it it was amazing
After reading this book, I will definitely try out a night at a Ritz Carleton hotel..... when and if i have the money...

But I will also take many of the lessons from the success of the Ritz-Carlton Hotels with me into my life as a rabbi. Michelli does a great job of weaving in narratives and principles of the RC's success. He creates a vivid portrait of the Ritz Carleton experience from top to bottom. This book is for anyone who wants to learn how to expand the way that they think about custome
Jonathan Larssen
Sep 04, 2015 Jonathan Larssen rated it it was ok
There were a few thing I picked up but sadly it read like a 300 page promotional pamphlet.
Laurent
Dec 19, 2014 Laurent rated it did not like it
didn't like the book, too much name dropping
Grant
May 03, 2014 Grant rated it it was amazing
A must read for everyone... Not just those in the service or hotelier industry.
Cameron
Sep 28, 2008 Cameron rated it liked it
This was okay. There's a few good points in here, but if anyone wants to read it, I would recommend just skimming and reading only the sidebars. But ignore the biographical ones, just look for the ones with resources in them. Reading crappy books has put me in a foul mood.
Keisha Kennedy
Apr 29, 2015 Keisha Kennedy rated it really liked it
There are lots of great tid bits to be gathered from this book that I think if followed could help a company go from good to great! I'm very excited to implement some of the new gold standard into my business and for my employees!
Miro Nguyen
Sep 09, 2013 Miro Nguyen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
A detailed glance into the Ritz-Carlton world that can also be transformed into other business so that all can offer and be offered top-notch care and customer service. The world is truly a better place with Ritz-Carlton.
Samantha
Dec 01, 2015 Samantha rated it it was ok
A few good business tips - but mostly an extended ad for how great Ritz Carlton is, and how you should spend the big bucks to attend their Leadership Center for your business.
John
Nov 16, 2015 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Although I do like this book, I've had to return the copy I was borrowing and haven't had time to look for it at the library. Hope to finish it in the near future.
Vincent Darlage
Mar 09, 2010 Vincent Darlage rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
Good book on how to run an exemplary company. Good leadership principles. I liked that it also gave examples of where the company fell flat on its face.
Gretchen
Feb 23, 2013 Gretchen rated it really liked it
Excellent lessons in training, management & culture for customer service environments. Easy read. My paper copy is marked up like crazy!
Des
Mar 09, 2015 Des rated it really liked it
This is a great book to read to understand how to provide a better customer experience and become a more effective manager.
Tracie
Apr 22, 2009 Tracie rated it really liked it
This was a really great book about an impressive company with an impressive customer service strategy. Highly recommend.
MaryAnn
Sep 14, 2013 MaryAnn rated it really liked it
Interesting book on how Ritz maintains its incredible service.
Jim
Dec 22, 2013 Jim rated it liked it
It's good, same message as other books of the genre.
Ron Mcintyre
Oct 15, 2013 Ron Mcintyre rated it liked it
Great insight but application to other industries is tough.
Betsy Macdonald
Dec 19, 2010 Betsy Macdonald rated it liked it
Good info. Want to incorporate so much of it!
Pam Leeper
Pam Leeper rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Hector V
Hector V marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Candace
Candace marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Bailey Barrett
Bailey Barrett marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Hakim Bahaman
Hakim Bahaman marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Surya Kumar
Surya Kumar marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Jerod Hevel
Jerod Hevel marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
  • Exceptional Service, Exceptional Profit: The Secrets of Building a Five-Star Customer Service Organization
  • The Nordstrom Way: The Inside Story of America's #1 Customer Service Company
  • Culturematic: How Reality TV, John Cheever, a Pie Lab, Julia Child, Fantasy Football . . . Will Help You Create and Execute Breakthrough Ideas
  • Be Our Guest: Perfecting the art of customer service
  • Decision Traps: The Ten Barriers to Decision-Making and How to Overcome Them
  • Hardwiring Excellence: Purpose, Worthwhile Work, Making a Difference
  • The Customer Rules: The 39 Essential Rules for Delivering Sensational Service
  • The Ten Commandments for Business Failure
  • 212 the Extra Degree
  • Getting Naked: A Business Fable about Shedding the Three Fears That Sabotage Client Loyalty
  • Setting the Table: The Transforming Power of Hospitality in Business
  • The Business of Happiness: 6 Secrets to Extraordinary Success in Life and Work
  • Sprinkles: Creating Awesome Experiences Through Innovative Service
  • Mastering the Rockefeller Habits: What You Must Do to Increase the Value of Your Growing Firm
  • Hug Your Customers: STILL The Proven Way to Personalize Sales and Achieve Astounding Results
  • Awesomely Simple: Essential Business Strategies for Turning Ideas Into Action
  • Why Work Sucks and How to Fix It: No Schedules, No Meetings, No Joke--the Simple Change That Can Make Your Job Terrific

“Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award evaluation process,” 0 likes
“Horst Schulze, cofounder and past president of The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, shares the origin of the Motto: “I started in the hotel business when I was 14 years old as a busboy. When my mother took me to the hotel to work for the first time, she said, ’We could never go to this hotel. This is only for important people. For important, fine people. So you’re lucky. Behave yourself. Wash your hands.’ She was a typical mother. I went to the hotel and the general manager talked to my mother and me for 15 minutes and told us we could never be like the guests who came to his hotel. ’So don’t ever get jealous. This is for Ladies and Gentlemen—very important people.’ “By the time I started working in the restaurant, I knew the guests were very important. But a few months later I realized that the maître d’ I watched every day was just as important because every guest was proud when he talked to them. Why? Because he was a first-class professional. He was somebody special—because of the excellence he created for the guests. So when I went to hotel school about a year and a half later, the teacher asked me to write a story describing what I felt about the business. And I wrote about the maître d’ at my hotel. I titled it, ’Ladies and Gentlemen Serving Ladies and Gentlemen.’ I wrote we could be excellent like he was. . .absolute excellence. When you walked into a room, you knew he was there. In any moment all of us who serve can be Ladies and Gentlemen, just like the guests. I think it’s a powerful thing that shouldn’t be missed by the wonderful people in this industry. They should understand that.” 0 likes