Start by marking “The Incumbent” as Want to Read:
The Incumbent

The Incumbent

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  19 reviews
A sizzling thriller from Washington press insider Brian McGrory, who stormed to the top of the political suspense A-list with his highly praised, national bestselling debut The Incumbent.Brian McGrory's first novel generated excitement and praise from every quarter -- writers, politicians, journalists, and discerning thriller aficionados alike. Bob Woodward called The Incu ...more
Published September 1st 2000 by Pocket Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Incumbent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Incumbent

Grace
Journalism meets mystery and conspiracy theory for a fun, quick easy read. In this story, a journalist named Jack Flynn is shot while playing golf with the President of the United States. Questions of why, how, and who was actually the target were raised and pursued. In the meantime, Flynn goes on a wild goose chase mixed with a non-goose chase, but he has to figure out which is which. It's really not as convoluted as it seems in the condensed version; I can only hope the full version remains as ...more
Susan
Jack Flynn is an investigative reporter who's looking into why this one guy got a presidential pardon. He makes routine inquiries and the next thing he knows, the president of the United States has invited him to play a round of golf. He's playing this incredulous round when he becomes part of an attempted presidential assassination. And the story begins. This is a first novel for McGrory and I sure hope it isn't the last. The story is really well told with delicious little snippets like '...a m ...more
Michel
Salutary warning!
McCain is not likely his term (certainly not his second term) and we know nothing about Palin (nor does she know anything about government: "What is the Bush doctrine?").
Anyhow, if the American people (or the voting machines) prefer a beauty queen to a Black man, there isn't anything we can do about it, is there?
Back to the book: it is really lame, the press is more naive even than in reality, the plot is transparent and the characters are neither believable nor interesting.
I am
Yvonne
An enjoyable read peppered with suspense and displayed the intricate work of a reporter. It does get a little predictable towards the end, though. The questionable, or perhaps unrealistic, part is the identity of the president. Is it really possible that the history of the president of USA is not thoroughly researched and documented?
Adele
I found the incumbent on a lark amid a book of short stories. What a treasure. ALL of his books were fantastic reads with his dry wit and compelling suspense. I tell everyone about this series and if you don't try it out you are missing out on some very entertaining reading.
Pam
An historical fiction novel is the only way I enjoy politics. It's less scary when you know it isn't true, but it does make you wonder how much of this stuff really happens, and that's scary.
Melissa
Book #77 read in 2007

I liked this book very much. It's more of a hard-boiled mystery than I usually read, but I was drawn in. I can't wait to read more in the series.

Gave to a friend
Barbara
Good read from a real newspaper reporter..the insides of Washington and White House involved in an attempted assasination and the search for the truth...leaving bodies along the way.
Susan
Good book. May read others by this author.

Unfortunately, the plot and election of a president with a criminal background is believable.
Linda Thibert
I liked all his books, but they should be read in order. This is not really political, more a mystery.
Blaine Morrow
Hard-nosed reporter story about White House intrigue and crimes in high office. Easy, breezy read.
Doug Simpson
Worth reading before election if you are sensible and leftish.
Atishay
A fitting read for those who love political thrillers.
Eric
A really enjoyable read by one of our Boston Globe writers
Stedwards
vacation book! great political thriller.
Amy Sjoquist
It was a good reporter mystery.
Mary Brentar
Mary Brentar marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Lenitah
Lenitah marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Dave Gochenaur
Dave Gochenaur marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Second Sight (Paul Christopher #7)
  • Dark Homecoming
  • Violence of Action (Rogue Warrior, #11)
  • Uncivil Seasons (Justin & Cuddy #1)
  • The Lighthouse at the End of the World
  • Clarinet Polka
  • The Book of Samson
  • Summer Gone
  • The Blind Man of Seville (Javier Falcon, #1)
  • The Cadence of Grass
  • For Whom Death Tolls (Manor House Mystery, #3)
  • Hidden River
  • Big Lies: The Right-Wing Propaganda Machine and How It Distorts the Truth
  • The Seagull Reader: Stories
  • Firewall (Nick Stone, #3)
  • Good Things (The Best of Martha Stewart Living)
  • Reservations for Murder (A Lighthouse Inn Mystery, #2)
  • Dear Mom: Thank You For Everything
Brian McGrory is a longtime newspaper reporter, editor, and columnist. Born and raised in and around Boston, he went to college at Bates College in Maine. He worked for the Patriot Ledger in Quincy, the New Haven Register in Connecticut, and has written for and edited the Boston Globe since 1989. He has a twice weekly column that appears on the front of the metro section, for which he has won the ...more
More about Brian McGrory...
Strangled The Nominee Dead Line