Start by marking “Rachael Ray's Kitchen Companion: More Than 200 All-New 30-Minute Recipes and More” as Want to Read:

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  756 ratings  ·  33 reviews
In the 10 years since she served up her first 30-minute meal—and thousands of delectable dinners later— Rachael Ray has learned just about all there is to know about getting a great tasting meal on the table in a hurry, whether it is one of her patented 30-minute miracles or something just a tad more involved for a special gathering. Rachael’s Big Orange Book is the ultima ...more
Published November 4th 2008 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about Rachael Ray's Kitchen Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rachael Ray's Kitchen Companion

K
The layout and lack of variety were big set backs for me. I think you could edit rachael ray's dinners down into onion, tomato, bean, protein, and rice/pasta on the side. Good for very basic cooks but in the 'big book' i expected more.
Steven Peterson
Why the title? Ray herself says (Page 8): "It's orange simply because orange is my favorite color." Simple enough! This has the normal complement of 30 minute meals. However, there are some features to this volume that attracted me to order it: vegetarian meals, holiday menus, some recipes longer than 30 minutes (breaking out of one's mold is a plus to me), Kosher meals.

Some few examples. . . .

30-minute meals: "That's Shallota Flavor Spaghetti" (ugh for the bad pun!). A meatless pasta dish (con
Darlene
Rachael Ray is another of my favorite Food Network personalities and her new Rachael Ray's Big Orange Book doesn't disappoint. I've always laughed though at the concept of 30-minute meals because no matter how hard I try most things take me longer than that. However, I have gotten many great cooking ideas from Rachael over the years and have tried out many of the meal ideas I've gotten from her show and for the most part they are quite fast to prepare. I always marvel at how quickly things come ...more
Carrie
I got this book as a holiday present. In my earlier days, I really liked Ray, a lot. My food horizons have expanded as of late and I turn to her recipes less frequently than before. [return][return]I can still appreciate what she does, though, and this is a good book: it compiles her best recipes from previous books. I admire Ray because she encourages using natural, whole ingredients. She also really pushes for people to make their own food instead of ordering take-out. In fact, I think she has ...more
Carlie Galloway
Rachael knows her niche, and this collection of her "unique" recipes demonstrates that well. This cookbook is a great go-to collection for elegant weeknight meals that resemble something mother used to make. The recipes are fairly straightforward and simple, as long as the cook is not afraid of ingredients.
Although she boasts "30 minutes" per meal, some recipes require a lot of prep work and shopping, adding unnecessary fuss to already busy schedules. But, for those of you who like to experimen
Meredith
I like Rachel Ray's cookbooks. She is a down-to-earth chef who realizes that many people take pleasure in cooking, but may not have either the big bucks to spend on fancy ingredients, or the time to prepare complicated meals.

This book combines the best of her various recipes/cookbooks. It is divided into sections with titles like "30-minute meals", "vegetarian meals", "meals for one", and "holiday meals". It's quite a mixed bag, so if you're looking for a more genre-specific cookbook, try anothe
Marjanne
This is a huge collection of recipes. Many of them seem new, though there are some that I have seen in Ray's other books. When I read through cook books I usually note the page numbers of the recipes that sound interesting to me. I came away with numbers for 40 recipes from this book! And if they are anything like other recipes from Ray there will definitely be a good handful that make it into my regular dinner/cooking rotation. This looks like a good one (and probably good to give as a gift too ...more
Sue
Aug 19, 2009 Sue added it
Recommended to Sue by: QVC
Shelves: cookbooks
I don't usually like Rachael Ray, but I saw her on QVC (one of my weaknesses) and she made Broken Florentine Lasagna Bake. I knew I had to check out the book just for that recipe.

Since checking this book out from my library I've found that I may have to pick this one up for my cookbook shelf. There are several recipes in here that I would like to try and they seem simple enough even for me! If you like cookbooks give this a whirl, even if Rachel Ray isn't normally your cup of tea.
Sherrie
This book has some great recipes in it. 30 minute recipes is what I was looking for. Something fast and yummy. There's lots of great recipes. I found one that I'm going to try out. Pork Chops in Tangy Fire-Roasted Tomato Sauce, I'll have to adjust the recipe, haven't got some of the stuff, but I think it will be alright. If you get a chance pick this book up. Well worth the read.
Chris
We have some family favorites in this cookbook, but I always feel so harried while cooking her recipes. Thirty minutes if you do all the prep beforehand then cook nonstop for 30 minutes! However, we use it enough that we have one pot that we refer to as "the Rachael Ray pot" and Parmigiano-Reggiano has been dubbed "the Rachael Ray cheese".
Di
I'm not necessarily into Rachel Ray, but I have to give her credit for her recipes. 8 out of 10 times they're very good.

This recent cookbook has a good deal of variety and what we've tried from it is pretty darn tasty. We do tend to tweak the recipes a tad to make them lighter versions - while staying true to the original concepts.
Josie
I found quite a few recipes that I believe I am able to make.

They are set out in straight-forward english language. There are a few ingredients that are not native to my shelves, but with some planning, it would be possible to encorporate them into other recipes.
Jack
I usually like most of her stuff, but this book was different. Out of the whole book, I only found 1 recipe I liked. There were hardly any pictures, and most of the stuff was way too fancy/overcomplicated for the Home Cook. Not her best by all means...
Jeanne
I'm a big fan of Rachael Ray and her cookbooks. Having said that, I was a little disappointed in this one. It lacks the simplicity of some of her other books. Maybe she has just done too many. There are still some recipes in the book that I plan to try.
Got this from the library on a whim. Underwhelming. Very meat-centric, and mostly pretty unhealthy, recipes. The vegetarian section is a selection of uninspired pasta dishes, and would mostly leave you hungry again in an hour.
GoldenjoyBazyll
Great book! Really enjoyed the jaw dropping asparagus pasta receipe!!!! Also, love that she put in a section of receipes that are longer than 30 minutes for those of us that would enjoy a more indepth project!
Wendy
While I love Rachael Ray and this has some good recipes, it seemed that the same recipes were repeated with slight variations several times throughout. I borrowed from the library. It is not a cookbook I would purchase.
Ryan
Made some great meals from here, all of which were totally high quality and very delicious. There was one recipe with eggplants that I'll have to try again. The vegetarian chili and sloppy joes were AWESOME!
angrykitty
ok, so i bought this for my mom for christmas, and then after looking at it, i decided to buy a copy for myself. it has a lot more pics than her other cookbooks and that really does make a difference....
Lennoria
Some of the recipes seem to be interesting and definitely worth a try. However, I was disappointed with the layout of the book/recipes, the lack of pictures, and the lack of nutritional information.
Isabelle
I enjoyed the book with its special table of contents. I usually find there are a lot of ingredients for the recipes so I use it more as an inspiration.
Emily
Some of the recipes look good and they are fairly simple, but I don't keep most of these staples in my cupboard so there's no need to keep the book on hand.
Jodie
Love her recipes, they are fairly easy and they taste great. The best part is that I get her recipes and do not have to listen to her talk! Bonus.
Christina
If Paula Deen uses butter in all of her recipes, Rachael Ray's hallmark is cheese. But I still love her. Chicken and Biscuits recipe is divine.
Megan
so far, so good! i've made two new recipes from the 30-minute meal section and they've both been tasty...i'm looking forward to trying more! :)
Katie Van Sloten
Everything I have made from this book is so YUMMY! Most recipes can be made inexpensively and without too many difficult details.
Amy
Great! Lots of interesting recipes -- I plan to xerox several! This book works for singles, couples, families, vegetarians and more!
Juanita
The recipes I've tried never disappoint. A lot if beef and bacon recipes, and I rarely eat beef and I don't eat pork.
Aspasia
Full of yummy recipes- Racheal even has vegetarian and kosher recipes for those on special diets.
Cheryl Schibley
Can't go wrong with any of Rachael's books. The Winter Greens Pasta on page 140 is awesome.
  • Grilled Cheese Please!: 50 Scrumptiously Cheesy Recipes
  • 'wichcraft: Craft a Sandwich into a Meal--And a Meal into a Sandwich
  • Molto Gusto: Easy Italian Cooking
  • Mark Bittman's Quick and Easy Recipes from the New York Times
  • Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen: Recipes from My Family to Yours
  • New England Soup Factory Cookbook: More Than 100 Recipes from the Nation's Best Purveyor of Fine Soup
  • The Comfort Table
Rachael Domenica Ray is a two-time Emmy-nominated television personality and author. She hosts the syndicated talk/lifestyle program Rachael Ray and two Food Network series, 30 Minute Meals and Rachael Ray's Tasty Travels. Ray has also written a series of cookbooks based on the 30 Minute Meals concept, and launched a magazine, Every Day with Rachael Ray, in 2006.

Prior to the launch of her talk sho
More about Rachael Ray...
Rachael Ray 365: No Repeats: A Year of Deliciously Different Dinners 30-Minute Meals 30-Minute Meals 2 Rachael Ray Express Lane Meals: What to Keep on Hand, What to Buy Fresh for the Easiest-Ever 30-Minute Meals Get Togethers: Rachael Ray 30-Minute Meals