Start by marking “Rachael Ray's Kitchen Companion: More Than 200 All-New 30-Minute Recipes and More” as Want to Read:

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,009 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
In the 10 years since she served up her first 30-minute meal—and thousands of delectable dinners later— Rachael Ray has learned just about all there is to know about getting a great tasting meal on the table in a hurry, whether it is one of her patented 30-minute miracles or something just a tad more involved for a special gathering. Rachael’s Big Orange Book is the ultima ...more
Published November 4th 2008 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about Rachael Ray's Kitchen Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rachael Ray's Kitchen Companion

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna Othitis
Best Cookbooks
114th out of 1,008 books — 995 voters
30-Minute Meals 2 by Rachael Ray30-Minute Meals by Rachael RayRachael Ray's Open House Cookbook by Rachael RayComfort Food by Rachael RayVeggie Meals by Rachael Ray
Best of Rachael Ray
23rd out of 28 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Cat
Feb 28, 2015 Cat rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This is one big cookbook. Monstrous, even. I found some of the sections a little odd, as well as the ordering - holiday menus, from my family to yours, starters and snacks (not an unusual section, but it’s the second to last section, would have expected it near the beginning). However, there were other sections that you don’t usually see outside of speciality cookbooks, but are fantastic - meals for one, kosher meals, burgers. The vegetarian section actually has some great recipes, which isn’t a ...more
carrieprice78
Feb 04, 2016 carrieprice78 rated it really liked it
I got this book as a holiday present. In my earlier days, I really liked Ray, a lot. My food horizons have expanded as of late and I turn to her recipes less frequently than before. returnreturnI can still appreciate what she does, though, and this is a good book: it compiles her best recipes from previous books. I admire Ray because she encourages using natural, whole ingredients. She also really pushes for people to make their own food instead of ordering take-out. In fact, I think she has who ...more
K
Dec 27, 2012 K rated it it was ok
The layout and lack of variety were big set backs for me. I think you could edit rachael ray's dinners down into onion, tomato, bean, protein, and rice/pasta on the side. Good for very basic cooks but in the 'big book' i expected more.
Steven Peterson
May 03, 2009 Steven Peterson rated it it was amazing
Why the title? Ray herself says (Page 8): "It's orange simply because orange is my favorite color." Simple enough! This has the normal complement of 30 minute meals. However, there are some features to this volume that attracted me to order it: vegetarian meals, holiday menus, some recipes longer than 30 minutes (breaking out of one's mold is a plus to me), Kosher meals.

Some few examples. . . .

30-minute meals: "That's Shallota Flavor Spaghetti" (ugh for the bad pun!). A meatless pasta dish (con
Darlene
Dec 20, 2008 Darlene rated it really liked it
Rachael Ray is another of my favorite Food Network personalities and her new Rachael Ray's Big Orange Book doesn't disappoint. I've always laughed though at the concept of 30-minute meals because no matter how hard I try most things take me longer than that. However, I have gotten many great cooking ideas from Rachael over the years and have tried out many of the meal ideas I've gotten from her show and for the most part they are quite fast to prepare. I always marvel at how quickly things come ...more
Carrie
Jan 04, 2012 Carrie rated it really liked it
I got this book as a holiday present. In my earlier days, I really liked Ray, a lot. My food horizons have expanded as of late and I turn to her recipes less frequently than before. [return][return]I can still appreciate what she does, though, and this is a good book: it compiles her best recipes from previous books. I admire Ray because she encourages using natural, whole ingredients. She also really pushes for people to make their own food instead of ordering take-out. In fact, I think she has ...more
I made the buffalo chicken pot pie. It tasted good, and I added more veggies, but it was kind of all beige. I should have added more colorful veggies. Personally, I found it a challenge to identify recipes I was dying to make.
Carlie
May 19, 2011 Carlie rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Rachael knows her niche, and this collection of her "unique" recipes demonstrates that well. This cookbook is a great go-to collection for elegant weeknight meals that resemble something mother used to make. The recipes are fairly straightforward and simple, as long as the cook is not afraid of ingredients.
Although she boasts "30 minutes" per meal, some recipes require a lot of prep work and shopping, adding unnecessary fuss to already busy schedules. But, for those of you who like to experimen
Jess
Mar 15, 2015 Jess rated it it was ok
Hard to follow. No photos. Overly complex. Too many random spices. Really not a good book for a beginner.
Aliya Tudor
Aug 23, 2015 Aliya Tudor rated it it was amazing
My 2nd favorite cookbook by the RR. A family fav is the NY deli Mac n cheese.
Sylvia
Mar 19, 2015 Sylvia rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
A few more recipes to add to your rotation.
Marjanne
Feb 07, 2009 Marjanne rated it really liked it
This is a huge collection of recipes. Many of them seem new, though there are some that I have seen in Ray's other books. When I read through cook books I usually note the page numbers of the recipes that sound interesting to me. I came away with numbers for 40 recipes from this book! And if they are anything like other recipes from Ray there will definitely be a good handful that make it into my regular dinner/cooking rotation. This looks like a good one (and probably good to give as a gift too ...more
Sue
Aug 19, 2009 Sue added it
Recommended to Sue by: QVC
Shelves: cookbooks
I don't usually like Rachael Ray, but I saw her on QVC (one of my weaknesses) and she made Broken Florentine Lasagna Bake. I knew I had to check out the book just for that recipe.

Since checking this book out from my library I've found that I may have to pick this one up for my cookbook shelf. There are several recipes in here that I would like to try and they seem simple enough even for me! If you like cookbooks give this a whirl, even if Rachel Ray isn't normally your cup of tea.
Anushka
Jan 03, 2015 Anushka rated it it was amazing
Sherrie
Jul 27, 2011 Sherrie rated it it was amazing
This book has some great recipes in it. 30 minute recipes is what I was looking for. Something fast and yummy. There's lots of great recipes. I found one that I'm going to try out. Pork Chops in Tangy Fire-Roasted Tomato Sauce, I'll have to adjust the recipe, haven't got some of the stuff, but I think it will be alright. If you get a chance pick this book up. Well worth the read.
Chris
Aug 11, 2013 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
We have some family favorites in this cookbook, but I always feel so harried while cooking her recipes. Thirty minutes if you do all the prep beforehand then cook nonstop for 30 minutes! However, we use it enough that we have one pot that we refer to as "the Rachael Ray pot" and Parmigiano-Reggiano has been dubbed "the Rachael Ray cheese".
Di
Aug 08, 2009 Di rated it really liked it
I'm not necessarily into Rachel Ray, but I have to give her credit for her recipes. 8 out of 10 times they're very good.

This recent cookbook has a good deal of variety and what we've tried from it is pretty darn tasty. We do tend to tweak the recipes a tad to make them lighter versions - while staying true to the original concepts.
Josie
Jan 05, 2012 Josie rated it really liked it
I found quite a few recipes that I believe I am able to make.

They are set out in straight-forward english language. There are a few ingredients that are not native to my shelves, but with some planning, it would be possible to encorporate them into other recipes.
Jack
Dec 18, 2008 Jack rated it it was ok
I usually like most of her stuff, but this book was different. Out of the whole book, I only found 1 recipe I liked. There were hardly any pictures, and most of the stuff was way too fancy/overcomplicated for the Home Cook. Not her best by all means...
Jeanne
Mar 13, 2009 Jeanne rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, 2009-reads
I'm a big fan of Rachael Ray and her cookbooks. Having said that, I was a little disappointed in this one. It lacks the simplicity of some of her other books. Maybe she has just done too many. There are still some recipes in the book that I plan to try.
Jan 11, 2010 Sarah rated it it was ok
Got this from the library on a whim. Underwhelming. Very meat-centric, and mostly pretty unhealthy, recipes. The vegetarian section is a selection of uninspired pasta dishes, and would mostly leave you hungry again in an hour.
GoldenjoyBazyll
Jan 01, 2009 GoldenjoyBazyll rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Great book! Really enjoyed the jaw dropping asparagus pasta receipe!!!! Also, love that she put in a section of receipes that are longer than 30 minutes for those of us that would enjoy a more indepth project!
Wendy
Dec 29, 2012 Wendy rated it liked it
While I love Rachael Ray and this has some good recipes, it seemed that the same recipes were repeated with slight variations several times throughout. I borrowed from the library. It is not a cookbook I would purchase.
Ryan
Nov 12, 2009 Ryan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, manual, cookbook
Made some great meals from here, all of which were totally high quality and very delicious. There was one recipe with eggplants that I'll have to try again. The vegetarian chili and sloppy joes were AWESOME!
angrykitty
Feb 07, 2010 angrykitty rated it liked it
Shelves: its-tv, food, 2010
ok, so i bought this for my mom for christmas, and then after looking at it, i decided to buy a copy for myself. it has a lot more pics than her other cookbooks and that really does make a difference....
Lennoria
Jan 05, 2010 Lennoria rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
Some of the recipes seem to be interesting and definitely worth a try. However, I was disappointed with the layout of the book/recipes, the lack of pictures, and the lack of nutritional information.
Isabelle
Jan 05, 2011 Isabelle rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I enjoyed the book with its special table of contents. I usually find there are a lot of ingredients for the recipes so I use it more as an inspiration.
Emily
Nov 27, 2012 Emily rated it it was ok
Shelves: cooking
Some of the recipes look good and they are fairly simple, but I don't keep most of these staples in my cupboard so there's no need to keep the book on hand.
Jodie
Oct 25, 2010 Jodie rated it liked it
Love her recipes, they are fairly easy and they taste great. The best part is that I get her recipes and do not have to listen to her talk! Bonus.
Mrs. Chatel
Jan 05, 2009 Mrs. Chatel rated it really liked it
If Paula Deen uses butter in all of her recipes, Rachael Ray's hallmark is cheese. But I still love her. Chicken and Biscuits recipe is divine.
  • Grilled Cheese Please!: 50 Scrumptiously Cheesy Recipes
  • Bobby Flay's Burgers, Fries, and Shakes
  • So Easy: Luscious, Healthy Recipes for Every Meal of the Week
  • Cook This, Not That!: Kitchen Survival Guide
  • The Lee Bros. Charleston Kitchen
  • 'wichcraft: Craft a Sandwich into a Meal--And a Meal into a Sandwich
  • Molto Gusto: Easy Italian Cooking
  • Fix-It and Forget-It Big Cookbook: 1400 Best Slow Cooker Recipes! Plus "Special Holiday Dishes" Bonus Section!
  • Farm to Fork: Cooking Local, Cooking Fresh
  • New England Soup Factory Cookbook: More Than 100 Recipes from the Nation's Best Purveyor of Fine Soup
  • The Deen Family Cookbook
  • Quick Fix Meals: 200 Simple, Delicious Recipes to Make Mealtime Easy
  • Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen: Recipes from My Family to Yours
  • Real Simple: Meals Made Easy
  • Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Two
  • Giada at Home: Family Recipes from Italy and California
  • Good Eats: The Middle Years
  • Cook Like a Rock Star: 125 Recipes, Lessons, and Culinary Secrets
Rachael Domenica Ray is a two-time Emmy-nominated television personality and author. She hosts the syndicated talk/lifestyle program Rachael Ray and two Food Network series, 30 Minute Meals and Rachael Ray's Tasty Travels. Ray has also written a series of cookbooks based on the 30 Minute Meals concept, and launched a magazine, Every Day with Rachael Ray, in 2006.

Prior to the launch of her talk sho
More about Rachael Ray...