Start by marking “Le Médecin Malgré Lui” as Want to Read:
Le Médecin Malgré Lui

Le Médecin Malgré Lui

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  2,987 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Le Médecin malgré lui est une comédie-farce en trois actes en prose.
Sganarelle, bûcheron alcoolique, est pris pour un médecin rénommé, même q'il n'a aucune idée de ce qu'un médecin doit savoir.
Published (first published 1666)

David Sarkies
May 27, 2013 David Sarkies rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who like French comedy
Recommended to David by: I've been interested in reading his plays
Shelves: comedy
A poor gentleman is forced to be a quack
28 May 2013

This play is quite a farcical piece of work and I suspect it is making fun of many of the quacks that were running around Europe at the time promising miracle cures (though nothing much has changed with the exception that miracle cures are now peddled by massive pharmaceutical companies over television). The main character, Sganarelle, is a pretty obnoxious person and his family dump him in the pot by telling people that he is this wonderful do
Huda Aweys
مسرحية كوميدية لطيفة جدا :))) ، عجبتني مشاكسات الحطاب مع زوجته و حواراتهم
و قليلا من الحكم الساخرة التي اجراها موليير على لسان اشخاصه .. عن العمل و الحياة و الزواج
:))
Hagar
Feb 22, 2011 Hagar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french, play
"Traître, insolent, trompeur, lâche, coquin, pendard, gueux, belître, fripon, maraud, voleur". C'est fou mais la dernière fois que j'ai prononcé cette série d'injures, je devais avoir dans les 13 ans, en plein cours de français, je m'en rappelle comme si c'était hier. C'est la seule réplique qui me revient pour l'instant, on devait présenter une amie et moi le premier acte de la pièce, je jouais le rôle de Martine, la femme rancunière de Sganarelle qui fera tout pour venger les coups que ce dern ...more
Sep 26, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: plays, french-lit
The Doctor in Spite of Himself is one of Moliere's quicker plays, but also just about as funny and scathing as the rest of his plays. He attacks medical professions and so-called "quacks" in this work by presenting a wood-cutter who is mistaken for a doctor. Hilarity ensues, as would be expected from the great satirist.

I admit that this is not the strongest of Moliere's plays in comparison to works like Tartuffe, but it's still a fun romp and definitely worth a look. It also really shows his at
Niuosha
Apr 21, 2015 Niuosha rated it liked it
Shelves: drama
ژرونت:(اسگانارل چوبی برداشته و ژرونت را می زند)آخ!آخ!آخ!
اسگانال:حالا پزشک هستید.مدارک پزشکی من هم همین بود .
Charlie
Jan 06, 2017 Charlie rated it it was amazing
Read in one go. Not surprising as it is so short. I truly forgot how much I love Molière, his plays always give me such a laugh!
Realini
May 21, 2014 Realini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Le Medecin Malgre Lui by Molière

If we are to believe the awesome film Molière, the writer was a fabulous man, funny, inspired, great lover, and charismatic, appreciated, talented. About the film at: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796335/?...
The comedies of Molière are witty, happy and moral: there is a message, behind the satire addressed to small tyrants, liars, crooks and violent men.

Le Medecin Malgre Lui starts with a fight between husband and wife, whereupon the man beats his wife, who swears
Ben
Mar 09, 2014 Ben rated it it was amazing
A short but very hilarious and entertaining read. This is a classic work of comedy and deception with a healthy suspicion of the medical profession thrown in, not dissimilar to views expressed elsewhere by Russian masters like Tolstoy and Chekhov (who was himself a doctor) -- perhaps, reflecting in some ways the fact that many medical professionals passed on questionable "know-how" merely for monetary gain (not dissimilar, unfortunately, to many doctors today). This work also channeled for me so ...more
Steven Peterson
Jul 04, 2010 Steven Peterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of Moliere's comedies. Some see this as a satire aimed at the medical profession. I read this for a class as an undergraduate on French literature. An amusing work, although not one of his best. . . .
Yari
Nov 12, 2016 Yari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this for my French IV class and it wasn't that bad. Its a quick read and full of satire so getting through it isn't difficult. I wish I was fluent in French so I could enjoy it more as most of the time I was too busy trying to translate and understand what they were saying instead of grasping the jokes, etc...overall its worth a shot!
Kiumars Azimi
Dec 21, 2016 Kiumars Azimi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
از کارهای جذاب و لذت بخش مولیر است. مقدمه مفصل و دقیقی درباره زندگی مولیر دارد که بخاطر جذابیت و فرازونشیب های زندگی مولیر بسیار خواندنیست. اما در ترجمه ضعف ها و اشتباهات فاحش پیدا میشود. بهتر بود با کمک یک ویراستار این مشکلات رفع میشد
Bruno
Jan 26, 2017 Bruno rated it really liked it
OK, je l'ai lu sous forme de bande dessinée dans "Fripounet" vers 1975. Est-ce que ça compte ? En tout cas, j'ai bien ri et depuis, j'ai toujours rêvé de m'appeler Léandre !
Deimantė Levickytė
Nedidelės apimties komedija. Skaičiau 100 metų senumo vertimą (savotiško iššūkio dalis), tad dažnai prireikdavo žodyno pasiaiškinti kam vieni išsireiškimai būdavo naudojami, daugelis jų, jau senokai nėra naudojami šiuolaikinėje kalboje. Šiaip darbas man visai patiko. Gana smagiai skaitėsi, buvo išties juokingų vietų. Jei reikėtų pasakyti pora žodžių apie ką tai buvo, tai būtų - įskaudintos (primuštos) žmonos kerštas paverčiant malkų rišėją daktaru ir jaunų žmonių meilė bei atkaklumas, kad jauna ...more
Thomas
Jun 03, 2015 Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
Sganarelle: [to Lucinde] Let me feel your pulse. [to Géronte] Monsieur, I am enlightened as to your daughter’s condition: she is dumb!

Géronte: Yes, that’s just it. You have found it out immediately.

Sganarelle: Of course! We great doctors know things at once. A fool would have been disturbed and puzzled, and would have beat about the bush. But I tell you plainly: your daughter is dumb.

Géronte: Yes, but how did it happen?

Sganarelle: Very simply: she lost her speech.

Géronte: Very good; but why?

Sgan
Sandra
Jun 26, 2016 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahhh, encore un Molière qui me plaît bien. Ce n'est pas mon préféré, mais il me fait bien rire à chaque fois. Je trouve que toutes ces pièces ont quand même bien vieillis, l'humour reste acceptable, le vocabulaire est tout à fait compréhensible (au contraire, j'aime les termes « vieillis » utilisés, qui sont souvent assez transparents), les personnages sont un peu simples mais efficaces.

On découvre Sganarelle, un mari pas très sympa qui aime battre sa femme à coup de bâtons, laquelle va se venge
Jen
Feb 16, 2012 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun farce in which a woman tells some men looking for a doctor that her husband is a doctor, but won't admit to it unless he is beaten. She is hoping that having to pretend to be a doctor will lead him to more trouble, which it does, but all turns out well in the end. Some suspension of disbelief is necessary, but the humor is evident on the page. I would love to see this play performed, as it was clear how much more the humor would come out.
Mireille
Jan 21, 2012 Mireille rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
C'est une pièce qui se lit rapidement, je l'ai lue d'une traite. Le fait que Sganarelle se laisse embarquer dans une telle situation presque sans rien dire m'a bien fait rire. J'étais étonnée d'aimer autant cette pièce, j'avais déjà lu "l'avare" qui m'avait pas franchement réjouie.

J'ai aussi apprécié retrouver quelques citations comme:

"Qu'ils sont doux, bouteille jolie, qu'ils sont doux vos petits glouglous."

ou:

"Voilà justement ce qui fait que votre fille est muette."
Jose Vera
Esta es una corta obra muy entretenida que se lee muy rápidamente.

La historia es acerca de un leñador que en un momento golpea a su mujer; esta para vengarse le dice a un par de extraños que su marido es un gran médico, pero a su vez un excentrico.

Con esta premisa Molière narra una divertida historia donde la burla, el sarcasmo, el oportunismo y el romance van de la mano.
M.
Aug 13, 2016 M. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tiyatro
Okuması son derece eğlenceli bir tiyatroydu ki izlemesi kim bilir nasıl olurdu. Moliere gerçekten büyük bir usta, bunu bu tiyatroda bir defa daha görmüş oldum. Defalarca kahkaha attım okurken. Karakterler çok gerçekçi, ne dün ne bugün ne de yarın; her zaman hayatın içinde olabilecek türden insanlar.
Carmen
Mar 23, 2014 Carmen rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Kui mulle muidu näidendid ei meeldi (raske mõista ja järge pidada), siis see oli küll üks lühike ja samas huumorikas lugu sellest, kuidas üht meest ekslikult arstiks peeti ning ta targaninana kõik terveks ravis.
Maia
Jan 29, 2008 Maia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, francais
Je n'ai jamais trouvé Molière drôle, probablement parce qu'il a tendance a recycler ses histoires. Exemple: a machin est en fait le frère de chose, disparu on-ne-sait-plus-quand, et peux donc épouser truc, et bidule peut épouser l'autre truc.
Louise Annetta
Oct 09, 2014 Louise Annetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a funny play making fun of the medical profession. I read two translations and each was different. I enjoyed them both.
FInd it online and read it there. Moliere is funnier on stage because of all the physical humor.
Jonatan Emanuel Flores
Una obra fascinante, cómica, y de drama romántica

Médico a palos es una obra teatral que esta llena de comedias y una expresión narrativa fuerte, refleja por los en sus personajes.
Deja pensar mucho nuestro forma de a los médicos.
Pablo Guzmán
Aug 29, 2016 Pablo Guzmán rated it it was ok
Entiendo la crítica social detrás de cada una de las extravagancias de la obra, el rencor contra los médicos y el conocimiento pedante, pero no me pareció tan grande como pensé que sería. Me hizo sonreír en algunas escenas.
William
Mar 07, 2010 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
This play is not considered one of Moliere's masterpieces, but to me it is one of his most enjoyable. Quick,silly, and spirited if Sganarelle is played by a competent actor (one can at least imagine that when reading).
Kikoi
Mar 17, 2014 Kikoi rated it really liked it
مسرحية ممتعة و مضحكة كما عودنا موليير في نكته الساخرة
أحببت فكرة الإنتقام تلك، حسناً تعلمنا أسلوب جديد للانتقام
و اكتشفنا علوم طب جديدة مع طبيب الحالات الميؤوسة منها
xDD
Bogdan Liviu
Jan 27, 2013 Bogdan Liviu rated it really liked it
"Domnule, Hipocrat zice: sa ne punem palariile pe cap."
- In care capitol ?
"In capitolul despre palarii, desigur."

(...) "Aristotel...maaare oom! Era cu vreo cinci palme mai mre decat mine."
Mohammad Ali
"ظرافت گرایان مسخره" متوسط بود و "پزشک اجباری" نسبتا خوب. ولی در حد و اندازه ی خسیس یا زنان دانشمند نبود اصلا.
La_mariane
Jan 11, 2015 La_mariane rated it liked it
Shelves: classics, theatre
Very short play, quite funny but not my favourite. I prefer Molière's longer plays, like Dom Juan or The Miser.
Babak
May 10, 2011 Babak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
.."
برویم رفیق ! برویم و خوشبختیمان را جای دیگر بجووییم . آشکارا می بینم که در اینجا تنها ظاهر بی محتوا را دوست دارند و اصلا اهمیتی به شایستگی عریان نمی دهند
"..
Goodreads Librari...: Le Médecin Malgré lui cover 2 9 Aug 25, 2015 12:22AM
  • Knock ou le triomphe de la médecine
  • Lettres de mon moulin
  • The Marriage of Figaro (Le Nozze Di Figaro): Vocal Score
  • Le Lion
  • Polyeucte
  • Iphigénie
  • Les Caprices de Marianne
  • Ruy Blas
  • Marius (Trilogie marseillaise, #1)
  • Les Malheurs de Sophie (Trilogie de Fleurville, #1)
  • Fables
  • La Petite Fadette
  • Paroles
  • Vipère au poing
  • Le Roman de la momie
Jean-Baptiste Poquelin, also known by his stage name, Molière, was a French playwright and actor who is considered one of the greatest masters of comedy in Western literature. Among Molière's best-known dramas are Le Misanthrope, (The Misanthrope), L'Ecole des femmes (The School for Wives), Tartuffe ou l'Imposteur, (Tartuffe or the Hypocrite), L'Avare ou l'École du mensonge (The Miser), Le Malade ...more
More about Molière...

“I find that it is the best trade of all; for, whether we manage well or ill, we are paid just the same.” 1 likes
“A shoemaker, in making a pair of shoes, cannot spoil a scrap of leather without having to bear the loss; but in our business we may spoil a man without its costing us a farthing. The blunders are never put down to us, and it is always the fault of the fellow who dies. The best of this profession is, that there is the greatest honesty and discretion among the dead; for you never find them complain of the physician who has killed them.” 1 likes