Start by marking “Fireflies” as Want to Read:
Fireflies

Fireflies

A Sidhe warrior in exile. A young man with powers he's only beginning to understand. In their hands, the fate of two worlds. A childhood encounter with one of the Sidhe sets Joseph Vines' life on a fateful course. Unable to forget the beautiful creature who promised to one day return for him, Joey spends the next twenty years learning, dreaming and waiting. Braeden Shay, a ...more
Published May 1st 2008 by Samhain Publishing (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Fireflies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fireflies

Katherine
Jul 25, 2009 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit that I have a love of fairies. Not only do I love to collect books about them, but I also love to collect knickknacks that are fairy. I was hoping this book would be a good one and I was not disappointed.

A fae visits our hero Joey when he was just five years old. He wouldn't see him again for another twenty years. He learns from Braeden the fairy that his real father was an evil fairy and wishes to kill him and take his powers. His biological father wishes to rule over both the
Brenda (b)
Aug 09, 2016 Brenda (b) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joey and Braeden are wonderful. I loved the faery world that Ally Blue created here.

I just wanted to mention that very little of the story takes place in the actual faery world, it's mostly in our "real world". It's the nature of the faeries, their power and Joey's conversion that make up the "world" she created. I'm not sure that makes complete sense and says it just right either.
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
First off, I really liked the whole theme of fireflies in this book. Well, it wasn't actually a recurring theme, or some deep and meaningful concept, but the appearance of fireflies was endearing (especially at the end) and introduced this 'awww' factor at some parts.That really was an unnecessary comment... but I felt it was important to mention because bugs, seeing as most are born as wriggling, slimy hell beasts, are all on my kill-on-sight-and-at-all-costs list.

Anyway going to the actual boo
Alicia J
This was a lovely tale of faeries and love. And I swear this has the most gorgeous cover art I've seen so far this year.
Mar 10, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: okay, slashreaders
SlashReaders LJ: I read a book of short stories/novella's a while back that included one of Ally Blue's works and to be honest I was not impressed with anything in the book. However I am a sucker for anything that contains fearies. So when I caught sight of this book and it's beautiful cover, well I gave into the temptation despite my previous disappointment.

This book is an improvement from any of the works contained in the book of short stories. There was some obvious research done--though not
Karissa
Dec 30, 2010 Karissa rated it liked it
I picked up this book because I loved the cover. Also it goes towards my GLBT challenges so that is a bonus. Overall this is a sweet little book with a simple story line. It does contain explicit M/M sex, so this is just a head up for people who are uncomfortable with that.

Braeden is a Sidhe warrior exiled from fairy; he has spent his whole life watching over Joey. Joey thinks he's human but soon finds out he is a half-sidhe that has powerful plant magic; he saw Braeden when he was younger and h
Elisa Rolle
When I read about sex between faery (of the original genre, with faery wings...) I always ask to myself: how can they lay back? the wings are not uncomfortable? Sooo, a lit of magic goes away when I think so, but Ally Blue has found a really interesting alternative to the problems... but you have to read the book to know what.

Joey is an halfling fae. His father is an evil unselie, and he is fated to kill him. He doens't know nothing except that, when he was 5 years old a beautiful fae man, Braed
Nichole (Dirrty H)

This book kind of reads like an erotic children's book.

This is the story of Joey, who met a fairy as a child and couldn't ever forget about it, and Braeden, said fairy, who stayed in the human world to watch over Joey until he was old enough to know the truth.
Joey is half fairy, and has amazing powers to talk to and control plants. But all is not well for Joey and Braeden, 'cause there's a bad guy after Joey.

The story is very, very simple. Joey and Braeden hook up at the very beginning,
Andrew
Nov 11, 2014 Andrew rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to read explicit m/m relations in a fantasy setting
Shelves: lgbt, fantasy
I love faeries, I'm cool with almost anything m/m. Yet this book felt flat to me.

Maybe it was just the shortness in length. Maybe it felt awkward to read sex immediately after Braeden's and Joey's first meeting. Maybe the characters just didn't feel developed to me (which again relates in part back to length).

It's wonderful that this author featured a person of colour as the main protagonist. I also enjoyed the descriptions of the faeries (and it makes actual sense that they wouldn't be clothed
Tami (synchro from BL)
Insta-love and not really much of interest. A cliched "action" plot.
It is not really bad, so I will not rate it, but I am not fascinated enough to read on.

The long, raven tresses that hang to Joe's waist gave me a bad Laurell-K-Hamilton-Moment.
Serith
Feb 05, 2016 Serith rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Queer readers that are new to fae
I'll start this review by stating that this book was neither good nor entirely bad. It simply failed to capture me emotionally, and thus was missing a lot. There was potential... but everything just fell flat and left a lot to be desired.

The most important element in a book for me are the characters and the relationship between them. To be honest, the sex came far too early and this destroyed so much more than I expected. It skipped right over the tension and straight into... well, what we assum
Steven
Apr 12, 2010 Steven rated it it was amazing
Once again I must thank Ally for graciously sending me a copy of Fireflies. This was one of her works that just called my name. I knew I had to read it, and I knew I would love it.

Where shall I begin? This was truly a wonderful blend of reality and fantasy. Aside from the faery aspect, the story is believable. A couple destined to be together even tho they had not a slightest clue. The fact that Joseph's father issues. A mother's intuition, which cut deep into my heart- especially towards the e
Amber
This was an ok book but at the end I just didn't have alot of feeling about it and felt vaguely unsatisfied by it. This was an insta=love book but with the fantasy elements it didn't feel rushed or bad and the sidhe mythology was interesting. As I was reading I didn't hate it but I started to realize that the book was just skimming the surface of these characters. We really never get to know Braeden other than his devotion to Joey. He has no real interests, background, family, on only vague ...more
Jeanne 'Divinae'
Apr 10, 2013 Jeanne 'Divinae' rated it liked it
Shelves: yaoi-m-m, fantasy
This was a nice read. It didn't blow me out of the ballpark. But I thought it was decent and worth reading. I thought it was a good stand alone book. Our characters are introduced with enough background to give them some depth. I personally, did not like the front cover of the book.... It isn't how I imagine them to look like.

Joey meets a pretty fairy(man) when he is 5 years old and can't forget about him. Now twenty years later, he is working with plants. He has a knack with them and taking ca
Pia Veleno
I couldn't get into this one like I did for Ally's BCPI series. Part of that was the insta-love dynamic. Sure, the faery has been watching from a far for years, and Joey has been fantasizing about the mysterious fae for just as long, but as soon as they stand face to face it's a done deal. Eh, not my thing. Also, there was so much sex in this story I thought it was an Loose Id publication. Because I wasn't sold on the love, the extra X-rated scenes weren't for me either.

The fae world/storyline w
Shaundra
Oct 09, 2014 Shaundra added it
Shelves: own
It was a great read, I love the space jumps, the spells, the fight, the plant groping. Only thing is I wanted to know more about the mom. when she was kidnapped and how many years went by in our time when she came back here? How did she get a new name? I know that she was stuck in faery world for a couple of years before she came back. How did she coup with the lost of everyone she knew and birth of her first child alone? Did people think she was crazy when she told her story? or did she talk ...more
Monday
Apr 24, 2010 Monday rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who read paranormal m/m
This was a cute story. It was a quick read with fun personification of plants. The happily ever ending was beautiful and struck me more deeply than I thought it would. If there was one thing I wanted Ally Blue to explore more of the interracial aspect and how it impacted Joseph/Joey before and after he learned the truth of his nature.

If you like m/m stories, Celtic mythology, stories of Sidhe, sexuality including wings, and adventure, give this book a go.
John
Apr 09, 2012 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh. It was okay, but there was zero romantic tension, and the magic in the world was too convenient/lacking in depth for me to really get invested in it. I don't regret reading the story, as it was enjoyable enough and worked for my faerie/fantasy fix, but those looking for something with tension and a more complex story will be disappointed. Also: the sex scenes were fine, but at times pointless.
J.J. Levesque
Jun 24, 2010 J.J. Levesque rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, romance, e-books, fantasy
Beautiful story with a gorgeous cover. The story inside is wonderful and kept me hooked the entire time. The very end of the story was both heartbreaking and happy at the same time, and I'll admit that I did sob for quite awhile. The imagery was just so powerful and beautiful it touched me very deeply.
Melinda
Apr 26, 2012 Melinda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
This was a truly wonderful book to read. True enough, it was bitter sweet, but over all it left me with a really happy feeling. The writing is simplistic, but not so much so that it detracts from the story. I think for having never read a title by this author, it was a good book to be introduced to her with.
Lillian
Feb 05, 2012 Lillian rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, the magic of the land and energies and stuff, sometimes I think I can feel something similar and it spoke to me in volumes.
Loved the natural magic, his powers and how it responded to just a thought.

really great book
Bradley
Nov 13, 2013 Bradley rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, lgbtrelated
A guy in my GSA suggested I read this. I found it enjoyable. It's about fairies and trouble in fairy land. Plus there's male on male sex. There's a pseudo bondage scene involving plants that was hot.
Adara
Oct 02, 2010 Adara rated it really liked it
Shelves: gangbang2010q4
I really enjoyed this story. I'm giving it 4.5 stars, rounded down to 4 because it doesn't have the re-readability (for me) that would get me to round it up to 5. The story is pretty compelling, and I like Ally's writing. This is the first work of hers which I have read.
Jaime
Dec 07, 2008 Jaime rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: yaoi lovers
Shelves: favorite-reads
Besides the fact the cover art for this is gorgeous!! the book was a fast, sexy read with lovely bishi characters who are easy to root for, and clearly perfect for eachother.
Diane
This is a beautiful novel written in the genre of fantasy. I loved it because so much of what it deals with, can teach us about our world today, and our dealings with those in our lives.

Page Crusherz
Sep 20, 2013 Page Crusherz rated it liked it
Not my favorite, but it was well written. I just didn't connect with the MC's and I wasn't a huge fan of the setting. I think it was more of my preference than anything else.
Ayanna
Feb 25, 2013 Ayanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, meh
I read this one a while back, but I remember thinking it was kind of meh. Not bad, I guess, but not really that exciting either.
The composition of the cover's gorgeous, though.
Jess Candela
May 30, 2012 Jess Candela rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, read-in-2010
I kept struggling to finish it, I'm not sure why. Not sure why the struggle, not sure why I stayed with it given the struggle.
Alexi Silversmith
Alexi Silversmith rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2010
Alec
Alec rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2011
  • The Elf and Shoemaker
  • Skin Deep (Fae, #1)
  • Tatterdemalion (Foundations of Magic, #1)
  • Miles and the Magic Flute
  • Gatekeeper
  • Litha's Constant Whim (Green's Hill, #1)
  • Paul's Dream (Touching Fire, #1)
  • The Vanguard
  • The Prince's Angel (Legends of the Romanorum, #1)
  • And the Two Shall Become One (Legends of the Romanorum, #2)
  • Amaranth & Ash
  • Hallowed Bond (Chronicles of Ylandre, #2)
  • Where Flows the Water
  • Canes and Scales
  • Details of the Hunt (Details, #1)
  • Draconian Measures (Gaven, #3)
  • Ash and Echoes (Blessed Epoch, #1)
  • Sursein Judgment
Ally Blue is acknowledged by the world at large (or at least by her heroes, who tend to suffer a lot) as the Popess of Gay Angst. She has a great big suggestively-shaped hat and rides in a bullet-proof Plexiglas bubble in Christmas parades. Her harem of manwhores does double duty as bodyguards and inspirational entertainment. Her favorite band is Radiohead, her favorite color is lime green and her ...more
More about Ally Blue...