Start by marking “Reconstructing Natalie” as Want to Read:
Reconstructing Natalie

Reconstructing Natalie

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  586 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Natalie Moore is about to lose what little cleavage she has.

She'll shave her head, leave her church, fall for a man in scrubs, learn to tap, and flash a roomful of women.

A woman wants to know with or without her breasts she is more than the sum of her parts.
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published March 11th 2008 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published July 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Reconstructing Natalie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reconstructing Natalie

I would probably give this book a 3.75 on the rating scale if I could!
Reconstructing Natalie is a good quick read. I recently found out a neighbor friend has breast cancer and this book sparked my interest. I learned sooooo much about the breast cancer process that wasn't familiar to me. I found myself reflecting on things that only someone going through breast cancer would probably be thinking because of the heroine, Natalie's, experiences. I have a lot more respect for individuals that go thro
Dee Schwinn
When I got this book at a library book sale, I thought it was about a girl who turned her life around. Then when I started reading it, I discovered that Natalie was a 27 year old who discovered she had cancer. Then I thought--well this is going to be a downer, the it was not. It was the story of how Natalie, with the help of her family, friends and fellow cancer patients dealt with cancer--the good and the bad The 4 stars was because I wanted more at the end. But --then again that makes for a go ...more
Lindsey Riley
I read this book awhile back, but it still sticks with me. It was such a real, honest,comical, heartbraking, and inspiring tale of a young woman battling breast cancer. I'm convinced the reason why this story resonated so well is because the author, herself, successfully battled breast cancer. Definitely worthy of five stars!
Natalie receives the news no 27-year-old expects when she is diagnosed with breast cancer. Her boyfriend deserts her, some of her friends can't handle the news, and the chemotherapy makes her so weak she can't continue her job. Natalie joins a support group and seeks to find God and His will for her life even through the pain and loss she experiences.

While this book was quite thought-provoking there were several things Natalie chooses to do as part of her 'healing' and for self-expression which
Despite the predictability of this book, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, if you can enjoy reading a book about cancer. The book focuses on 27-year-old Natalie. Her life is turned upside down when she is diagnosed with breast cancer. It is predictable in that most people in this day and age, unfortunately, know the steps that a loved one must go through to battle cancer. Natalie tries to stay strong and positive, but she is often doubtful, depressed, and angry. And, although the book focuses on ...more
Overall I enjoyed this book about a young woman with breast cancer. She's a very likable character, and makes you really think. I liked that she's a Christian; however, I didn't like the biggoted views that she had, based on her Christianity. Such as this gem, after learning a woman in her breast cancer support group is a lesbian: "Oh great. I hope she's not one of those political ones trying to cram her militant agenda down our throats."
Excuse me? Really?? But if you can get past the prejudice
Jessica Gates-rockhold
Awesome and powerful message, this book is full of laughter and tears following Natalie's battle with breast cancer.
Saccharin sweet and totally unrealistic this book was definitely geared towards the “church crowd.” I’m sorry, but with the treatments Natalie had with her breast cancer for the book to have ended the way it did, with her caressing her bump and sharing the secret of the baby’s sex with her husband, is ridiculous. Not unless she harvested eggs and went the IVF route and that was never mentioned. As an almost 30 year old virgin when she was diagnosed I doubt that she even considered that. I am sor ...more
Sep 13, 2008 Debi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: book clubs
Shelves: chick-lit
This was a wonderful book! 27-year-old single woman finds out she has breast cancer. The book chronicles her journey through this traumatic experience. Though dealing with a difficult topic, the book was real and down-to-earth. The emotional roller coaster, illness and physical debilitation, self-esteem struggles at loss of breasts and hair, the support of family and friends - all of these were parts of the story. I would highly recommend this book, particularly for book clubs as it would be a g ...more
Mar 24, 2008 booklady rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone facing cancer or with loved one who has cancer, especially breast cancer
Recommended to booklady by: my sister, Julie
Shelves: 2008
Although this started out as a light, fluffy, "fun" read, it is anything but. However, considering it deals with a 27 yo single woman who gets breast cancer, it turns out to be a very upbeat book overall. Still it has its moments of deep pathos and it challenges you to think at every turn. I'll be writing this up for booklady after Holy Week. Thanks L'il Sis, Julie for the tip! I loved it!

Here's the booklady's review:
I'm in a class on Reader's Advisory this semester so that's why my list has some weird titles on it recently. We have to read a Christian book from any genre, so I chose this one, it's in the "Women's Lives and Relationships" genre.

Wow is it shitty! Stilted dialogue, totally out of date pop culture references, (2006 and the characters are obsessed with the show Friends? Still?) really unsympathetic characters, and of course the one non-christian is a christian by the end. blaaaah! no stars!
This book did give good insight into the trials a person with cancer may go through, it showed how friends and family can be a great support system (or not so great), and it had an overall hopeful message. However, something about the over-stereotyped characters and the jaunty inner dialogue made me feel like I was reading a later installment to The Babysitter's Club. I loved the inspirational message of the book, but I guess I'm just not a chick lit girl.
I sincerely enjoyed the honesty in this book, which is about a woman in her late 20s who gets breast cancer. You would think it would be kind of depressing, but it really wasn't. I loved the way she had to deal with the reactions of different friends, family, and church members as the news spreads, along with dealing with it herself. Even if you just read it to experience the confrontation with her ex-boyfriend in Disneyland it would be worth it. Sweet.
I enjoyed reading this book because the author verbalizes a lot of what I think I would feel or say or question if the same experience was to happen to me. I learned that changes happen and that life can go on and even become better after facing incrediable challenges. I also liked the bits of information about breast cancer. It prompted to do more research to answer my questions on breast cancer.
this book was given to me several days after my mastectomy, I didn't read it right away but waited several months as I didn't feel I was ready. I enjoyed the book was able to empathize with the main character as well as be inspired by her. I'm old enough to be her mother but many parts hit home. It was a good read, I don't think I'm be influenced by was going thought at that time.
I read this book in less that 24 hours... It was that good. I really loved the characters, their friendships, family bonds and their sense of faith. So many books fail to include faith in life's obstacles, and it was refreshing to see faith take a huge role in the characters' lives, especially when dealing with a topic like cancer, a topic that is sure to test your faith.
Laura Walker is a talented author and has created a very comical yet eye opening story about a young lady with breast cancer and her journey in becoming healed. I would not recommend anyone but girls/ladies to read this. It was a encouraging to see how this young lady took her worst circumstances and made her life into something wonderful.
This book grabbed me right away and I really liked how the story dealt with such a tough subject without it being all doom and gloom. Some really funny parts and touching too.

The thing that threw me off though was the cover - it is very 50's, along wtih even the look of the book and it had nothing to do with the story or when it took place.
Ellie Revert
Apr 06, 2008 Ellie Revert rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any and all women, and some great men too
A wonderful sharing of a medical problem that confronts so many women. There's great humor, and room for much compassion. A good read if you have breast cancer, and maybe even a better read if you have a friend who has it. It shows what we can do that is helpful---and what is NOT! A book to own for sure.
I really enjoyed this book! There were definitely some sad parts to it, but the humor far outweighed the sad parts. I know it was fiction, but it gave inspiration to those who are fighting cancer. I'm sure Ms. Jensen put a lot of herself into this book from her experiences with breast cancer.
Dana Thompson
I enjoyed this book mostly because I could relate to it. My mom died of cancer so the subject really touches me. Natalie is also my age so it makes you realize how quickly you are to take things forgranted. Having said that, I must warn that it is very predictable. But a heartwarming story no less.
Cathy Daniel
It took me two tries to read this book and I found it hard to get into at first. Boy, am I ever glad I persisted. This book is so real and I love the character's transformation (and not just physical) Laura Jensen Walker is my new favorite author. Everything of hers I have read is just pure GOLD!
I enjoy reading this author but had no idea what I was getting myself into with this book.
The main character gets breast cancer and the remainder of her book is the story of her treatment and how she overcomes the disease.
Not a super light read...but not overly medical either.
It was a good enough book, very light reading and very uplifting. The one annoyance, was when she threw in pop culture references randomely throughout the whole thing...It just was a pet peeve of mine and made me roll my eyes lol
Great book! Very quick and easy to read - written in first person with a lot of recent/current-day references. However, those references (to TV, etc.) are going to quickly date this book and make it not as appealing
Fiction - felt like non-fiction. Christian based. Good humor, genuine moments, fast read. Main character has cancer and it carries the reader through the highs and lows of this disease - heartfelt and engaging.
This was a book about a young girl battling breast cancer and how her life changed from having cancer. I enjoyed reading it. Not too "deep" or challenging, but a good good to read to sit down and relax.
Chicken Lit'er
'Reconstructing Natalie' has a superb mix of modern women’s literature, complete with romance and humor all wrapped up in one page-turning novel. I absolutely loved this book and give it a perfect 5 stars!
This is my second time reading this book and after reading it again I've come to the conclusion that I like this book a lot better than the first time around. I can't wait to read other books from this author.
the story of a 27 year old woman who is diagnosed with breast cancer... and her journey that follows... The intriguing thing for me was the idea of a life list... I think I need to write one...
  • She's Out of Control (Ashley Stockingdale, #2)
  • Only Uni (Sushi, #2)
  • The Baby Chronicles
  • The Cubicle Next Door
  • Piece de Resistance (French Twist, #3)
  • Club Sandwich
  • Perfecting Kate
  • Spring Broke (86 Bloomberg Place, #3)
  • Earth to Betsy (Betsy #2)
  • Savannah by the Sea
  • Angel Song
  • The Perfect Life
  • Sweet Caroline
  • My Life as a Doormat (In Three Acts)
  • The Convenient Groom (Nantucket, #2)
Laura Jensen Walker is an award-winning writer and popular inspirational speaker. A former reporter with a degree in journalism, Laura lives in Northern California with her Renaissance-man husband, Michael, and their piano playing dog Gracie.
More about Laura Jensen Walker...
Miss Invisible Daring Chloe (Getaway Girls, #1) Dreaming in Black & White (Phoebe Grant, #1) Dreaming in Technicolor (Phoebe Grant, #2) Turning the Paige (Getaway Girls, #2)