A Kind Of Vanishing

A Kind Of Vanishing

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  33 reviews
In the summer of 1968, the day senator Robert Kennedy is shot, two nine year-old girls are playing hide an seek in the ruins of a deserted village. Alice has discovered a secret about Eleanor Ramsay's mother, and is taunting the other girl. When it is Eleanor's turn to hide, Alice disappears.
Published by Myriad Editions (first published September 1st 2008)

Lili
A very enjoyable and engrossing read although it took a while to get into the book but once there it held me captivated. A story that encompasses 30 years; a child missing 3 decades ago and no hint of what happened. A must read.
Storm Constantine
While I enjoyed reading this book, there were a few aspects to its denouement that didn't ring quite true with me. I can't say what these are without revealing big spoilers, but some characters appeared to act out of character, or suddenly and easily (after trauma) change character, and - for me - this wasn't sufficiently explained. If anything it seemed some reactions and developments were more to steer the direction of the story than for the characters to remain credible. This sort of thing te...more
Laura Turner
I have just finished A Kind of Vanishing - my first Lesley Thomson novel.

It was a complex crime novel, which ended with a disturbing surprise for me.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, it was right up my street. I love a novel which you find hard to put down and as I bought it from Sainsbury's eBooks at a bargain price of 99p, I am over the moon at how enjoyable a read it was. I would have been more than happy to have paid more for it.

Although slow at times, it had a very dark and cynical background to it...more
Gary Heilbronn
Great book! "literature" not "writing". Some of you may not agree with me. It may not be easy reading for some...... I've read the other reviews of this book ... and some are critical but it's easy for some readers to be negative. .... However this is not a book for those seeking a "light" (brain- and heart-dead) read ... and there's lots of unmemorable writing around ... this isn't one of those books ...but even if I did suspect who was behind the crime early on, there were twists and turns to...more
Denise Gilkeson
I downloaded this book as it got good reviews and the story sounded interesting. I am sorry I did. I struggled with it from the very beginning and then just gave up and didn't even get it finished. it is so descriptive I lost interest and didn't care anymore. Readers who enjoy descriptive books will live this one. I downloaded another of this authors books and won't even be attempting to read it. Very disappointed!
Snoozie Suzie
Finally finished listening to this today, but I cannot tell you much about it other than it is dull, rambling, tiring and hard work. Listen to it if you want to sleep. I renewed it twice it took me that long to finish, but finish it I did.
Amy
I was looking forward to this after enjoying 'The Detectives Daughter' so much but I found the stream of consciousness confusing and disorientating and it just broke the flow of the plot. I think stream of consciousness writing is so hard to get right but when it is it's fantatstic, this probably needed more editing and proof reading. An interesting story even if I guessed the twist near the start but the confusing plot line drags it down. Will still recommend this author, this just was no where...more
Joanne
This is another book which has sat on my to-read pile for some time - I was attracted to it as I have read so much good fiction from Myriad Editions, yet for some reason I was never quite ready to pick it up.

A Kind of Vanishing tells the story of two 9-year-old girls who are forced to play together, although they never really like each other. Then one of them disappears while they are playing hide and seek, only to reappear in the story some 30 years later. It's a very intelligent and subtle cr...more
Emma
In 1968 Eleanor Ramsey is almost 9, a tomboy, and a handful. Her imagination runs wild, as does she. Alice, a few months older, is seen as a calming influence and a shining example of how little girls should behave. She says please and thank you, keeps her clothes neat and clean, and does what she is told. Her good behaviour is supposed to rub off on Eleanor and they are forced to play together. All it does, of course, is rub Eleanor up the wrong way. Within a couple of days she has decided she...more
Anne
A Kind of Vanishing is a complex crime story, a novel that moves slowly towards an ending that both surprises and disturbs in equal measure.
It is summer 1968 and two girls are playing together in a ruined village. The two girls do not like one another, and one of the most startling aspects of this book is the author's ability to get right into the mind of a nine year old girl. The reasoning and the justification made by Eleanor during the opening pages are both convincing and sometimes, a littl...more
I would have liked to have given this 3.5 stars rather than 4, but rounded up, as I preferred it to The Detective's Daughter (by the same author), which I recently also gave 3 stars to. I enjoyed the fact that this story ran as a prequel/in parallel to The Detective's Daughter, focusing in detail on the lives of minor characters who featured in it and providing possible explanation of their behaviours in the course of that story. A Kind Of Vanishing is beautifully and descriptively written. It i...more
Lynda Kelly
This was WAY too hard-going for me with nowhere near the amount of dialogue I like in a book. If I'd actually picked it up as a paperback I wouldn't have bought it as I'd have realised. Something you miss when it's on the Kindle, I suppose.
I can't be doing with pages of description and flowery language. It just isn't for me at all. I did have The Detective's Daughter in my wishlst too but think I'll pass now.
I did give it an extra star because I only spotted one mistake in the 14% I did read.
But...more
danison
This book was hard to get into, there was not much to keep my interest, and I had to push myself to keep going.
It has a lot of descriptive information that is probably not needed.
In places it drags on, with only a few sentences to keep you interested.
A book of 400+ pages, that could have told the story and kept it interesting in around 200 pages.
The story line was good, but in all the book could have been condensed.
Ailsa Britain
Initially I wasn't sure that I was enjoying this - predominantly because I listened to it (as an Audible recording), and the narrator just didn't seem as "polished" as usual (stumbling occasionally over words etc.). However once I realised that it was actually being voiced by the author - rather than an "actor" - I was happy to let that go, and in fact started to really enjoy the style (it began to feel like a bedtime story being read as though to a child, which suited the genre / subject matter...more
Really enjoyed this but unfortunately guessed the twist which has never happened to me before. I'm usually so lost in a book that I don't try to work it out but this seemed obvious to me. That said it was an enjoyable read.
Sabrina
The story started off really well, immersing me into the lives of two little girls who didn't really like each other but made play with each other. One day during a game of hide and seek, one girl goes missing and never returns. The book then propels forward 30 years and the life of Alice is slowly revealed until the ending reveals the truth about the missing girl. In the opening chapters set in 1968 I had rightfully guessed who the murderer was so found the most part of the book predictable. It...more
Rory Stanbridge
I have just finished this book and thoroughly enjoyed it even if I found a few bits of the story a touch far fetched. I read Lesley's other book too and was not keen but found this one much easier to read. It is not easy to say too much about it without giving the story away but suffice to say that it will keep you reading, intrigued and wondering throughout. I will now look for further reading from this author.
Jenny Carr
You definitely couldn't say any of the story is predictible. There are twists all the way through. I think the language in a few parts spoiled it. There was no need for it, in my opinion.
Karen wadey
This book started off good but a bit lost on the way. I found it a bit confusing and the ending was a disappointment, I suppose you are supposed to make up your own mind what happened to Alice?? I have read the next book in the series and have to say it is much better, looking forward to the next instalment.
Rachel
Wasn't sure what this was going to be like, a murder mystery or something else. I was not disappointed. It is a clever book, well written and although I had guessed before the end who the perpetrator was it did not spoil the enjoyment. The first section of the book concentrating on the young Eleanor and her relationship with Alice was very well conceived. Eleanor was a great character.
Carolyn
Slow but enjoyable. I was more intrigued by the chance to look into the earlier lives of peripheral characters from the Detectives daughter. It also cleared up some of the quirky bits from the second book. There's an original style to these books
Taken as a pair the books are good reading but the detectives daughter is stronger.
i quite liked this book, it was a little complicated in places, and there were a few twists..worth i read in my opinion
Gloria
Read this on kindle. This was a surprising book, so many twists and turns. Really hard to put down, once you start. But very sad, don't read it when you're depressed, it will only make you feel worse. But I am certainly interested in reading more from this author.
Michelle
I read this after finishing another Lesley Thomson (The Detective's Daughter) and realised in the first couple of chapters that this was a sort of prequel. Both books totally stand alone. I really enjoyed this, particularly as I recognised some of the characters.
Elizabeth Edser
I struggled to get into this story, started the book - put it down for weeks then decided to try again. I was really bored by the lengthy descriptions and lack of story. Sorry, but I had to give up in the end!
Mel
I wanted to know what had happened, which kept me reading, but this book was slow in places. I also thought that some of the storyline didn't hang together too well, but that said, it was still readable and enjoyable.
Ria
This is an exceptionally intelligent and subtle crime novel. Thomson's eye for detail and insight into behaviour and motivation holds you spellbound until the final page. Thoroughly recommend.
Amanda Gorry
Different from my normal reading - took a bit to get into as there are lots of bits where the timelines jump around. However, lots of unexpected twists and turns and a surprise ending
Rose Jones
A good story with some twists and turns along the way. I got a little lost from time to time questioning who was who and I wasn't so keen on the end but a good read.
Chris Wright
Immersive and compelling. A convincing picture of the effect on the people involved of a child's disappearance.
Lesley Thomson was born in 1958 and grew up in London. She went to Holland Park Comprehensive and the Universities of Brighton and Sussex. Her novel A Kind of Vanishing won The People's Book Prize in 2010. Lesley combines writing with teaching creative writing. She lives in Lewes with her partner.
More about Lesley Thomson...
The Detective's Daughter (Detective's daughter, #1) Ghost girl (Detective's daughter, #2) Seven Miles From Sydney