Start by marking “Stretching” as Want to Read:
Stretching

Stretching

From the author of the million-copy bestseller Stretching come quick and easy stretching routines for the workplace to help combat the aches and pains of sitting at a desk or keyboard. Also included are tips for ergonomics and proper posture at the workstation.
Published May 1st 1999 by Shelter Publications (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Stretching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stretching

The Holy Terror
It feels silly to review a book about stretching, but I gave it five stars so I figured what the heck. I got this book out from the library because I have lower back and leg pain. I watch videos on Youtube for yoga, exercises, and stretches to try to ease this pain, but sometimes I just want something straight to the point and I don't want to watch a ten minute video trying to remember a specific move. This book is perfect for this and I'm going to buy a copy just so I can refer to it in the fut ...more
Sara
Jan 17, 2008 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A woman with a black belt in karate recommended this book to me years ago, saying it "changed her life". I couldn't believe it was that good but damn it, it's that good! Pretty simple really: a section with stretching instructions and tips, a set of stretches for everyday situations (computing, gardening, back pain...) and the best part - complete stretching programs for specific sports and activities (kayaking, table tennis, rodeo!). All easy to absorb with cute little line drawings of people s ...more
Pilar Erika
An easy, useful, and complete guide to stretching, with helpful illustrations by Jean Anderson.
In my opinion, highly recommendable.
DeAnna
Apr 02, 2008 DeAnna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that is looking for a comprehensive stretching manual
Shelves: body-related
I love this book because of its thoroughness and its simple organization. It is really useful for anybody that wants to increase their flexibility.

There are two different ways to access information in the book, both of which are very useful.

First, you can look stretches up by the area of the body. For example, if you want to increase the flexibility in your hips, back, or wrists you can just go to the appropriate section and review the stretches. There is a summary at the end that can be copied
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
May 18, 2009 Shellie (Layers of Thought) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
My shoulder has been bothering me from too much computer stuff, then I remembered this book which is an excellent yet simple and comprehensive guide that gives the reader easily understood drawings of how to do many different kinds of stretches. The book has a simple to use index making it easy to find the kind of stretch you need quickly. It also has pages for specific kinds of stretching for different activities. For example, you can copy a page for computer desk stretches and put it in your d ...more
Alex
Feb 16, 2008 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody
This book can make you feel better everyday. I feel like I'm already more aware of my body; however, this is a person who is unfamiliar with yoga. Anyways, the methodology of stretching was new to me, and I highly recommend this book to anybody.

It's also good for not feeling sore.
Suzanne
Oct 05, 2009 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diet-and-fitness
Great book-- has tons of 4-9 min. stretching routines that I've been doing and they feel so good! There are routines for before or after certain sports, while watching TV, first thing in the morning, computer and desk stretches...
Ellie
Dec 15, 2009 Ellie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is good.

It's great.

I gave it to my brother for christmas. So much information. The last part of the book has pages and pages of every day stretches that are all on one page (depending on the activity your stretching for)

GREAT BOOK

Highly recommended for ownership.
Kim
Feb 17, 2010 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK, this may not be your typical book to pick to read, however I bought it this week-end and it is a great stretch book. Very easy to follow and very beneficial!
Doug
Jun 21, 2007 Doug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
via:Kris Young
Juli Anna
Oct 28, 2016 Juli Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-reference
This is an excellent resource for anyone for exercises regularly, and even for those who don't. I am not big on working out (at ALL), but I do try to stretch a few times a week for flexibility, back health, and relaxation, a practice I recommend for even the exercise-allergic like myself. Anderson's manual is suitable for all ages and abilities; I love that he gives standing, sitting, and floor versions of most of the major stretches, and I also love the collections of stretches he puts together ...more
Amber
Jan 09, 2017 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I checked this book out from a library and I like it so much I'm going to buy it.
Keith Kendall
This is the first book that I got on stretching, and still the oft mentioned classic. I have read and own several other books that are often overwhelming in their complexity & as I look at the routines, I think that perhaps someday I will get around to learning part of a routine and then get to the rest later, but I never do. This book has simple stretches, and simple illustrations that are doable by someone who is an ordinary person with limited time for this necessary activity.

Anyone can
David
Feb 12, 2013 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After suffering in the 80's from being over enthusiastic while stretching during martial arts practice I was over careful for six years until a friend shared this book with me. I never bought the book, just photocopied pages that I neeeded for specific sets of stretches, but the basic information has stayed with me all these years. In certain areas of knowldge there are books that say everthing there is to be said in a way that makes it hard for anyone else to say anything else. This is that kin ...more
Laura (Kyahgirl)
This book was recommended to me by an acquaintance who runs long distance, cross country skis, and generally is very active. He told me that stretching and flexibility are critical factors in fitness. Stretching also helps prevent injury to muscles and joints. This book explains a lot of different stretches, sport specific stretches, strength training stretches and even has a bit on nutrition and back care. Its a book I think everyone should have in their library.
Spyrous
Nov 03, 2014 Spyrous rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book contains almost any exercise you will ever need for every part of your body. The illustrations are clear and the techniques/howto's are easily understood. On the upside is also that the book can be printed so you can have your stretching routine with you or placed on a wall where you mostly do your exercises.
GardenSinger
Sep 16, 2011 GardenSinger rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone and everyone
A little outdated, but the content is sill very user friendly and would benefit everyone in today's society. If you're doing it correctly, then you're breathing. That's what we all need more of...time to just breathe. This book is basically a user-guide...read of it what you want when you want.
Virginia
Dec 19, 2010 Virginia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book about stretching and physical fitness. The pictures of each stretch are clear and very helpful. I love all the categories and routines provided in the book and also the section on learning to jog and run.
Adriana
Feb 07, 2015 Adriana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Adriana by: I found and searched this book out on my own, prior to getting it.
I read this book agesssss ago and it still resonates with me. We are always so concerned with aerobics and weights, that we often forget that flexibility is very important as well. This book explained its importance and the importance of movement and stretching on ones body as well. Great read.
DCW
Jun 16, 2016 DCW rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A life saver. I read through the whole thing. It shows you the stretches that work and are safe with tons of diagrams broken up by muscle group. Not too technical, which was nice.

Not all stretches are created equal, so if you have muscle pains, check it out!
mairywo
I know why I don't have a lot of sports books, especially of the do-it-yourself variety. I buy them, am full of good resolutions, put colored bookmarks all over the place and then never use it again.... Same here. It's a good book, just very unused.
Megan
Jun 24, 2012 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, reference
I love this book! It's amazing how just a few minutes in the morning and at night stretching can really make a difference in how you feel everyday.
Stephanie
This is a great reference book for stretches for various muscle groups .... Another favorite that I still have a copy of. Wish that I used it more, would be a bit more nimble... :D
Heather
I love this book. Stretching is a great way to start and end your day and it's worth knowing how to do it the right way.
KennyO
Dec 05, 2014 KennyO rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm no athlete but I have worn out two copies of Stretching and have given several as gifts. This is a great and relatively easy way to take care of your body.
Janis Lai
Jul 24, 2015 Janis Lai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very thorough. Can't believe these stretching techniques have been around for so long!! I've been trying to do some every day. Even though I haven't seen big changes, I'm sure I will!
Brian
May 08, 2016 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical-fitness
I had a copy of this book many years ago and loaned it to a friend. This new edition adds stretches for computer users, something that I didn't need so long ago but need now.
Doreen
Doreen rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2013
Michael Epstein
Michael Epstein rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Rosalie
Rosalie rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2016
  • The Anatomy of Stretching
  • Travell & Simons' Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction: The Trigger Point Manual: Two Volume Set: Second Edition/Volume 1 and First Edition/Volume 2
  • Strength Training Anatomy
  • The Complete Book of Running
  • The Pilates Body: The Ultimate At-Home Guide to Strengthening, Lengthening and Toning Your Body- Without Machines
  • Never Gymless
  • The Runner's Handbook: The Bestselling Classic Fitness Guide for Beginning and Intermediate Runners
  • Stretching Anatomy-2nd Edition
  • The New Rules of Lifting for Abs: A Myth-Busting Fitness Plan for Men and Women Who Want a Strong Core and a Pain- Free Back
  • Zinn & the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance