Start by marking “The Good Spell Book: Love Charms, Magical Cures, and Other Practical Sorcery” as Want to Read:
The Good Spell Book: Love Charms, Magical Cures, and Other Practical Sorcery

The Good Spell Book: Love Charms, Magical Cures, and Other Practical Sorcery

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  247 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The world's most popular fortune-telling techniques-crystal balls, tarot cards, & palmreading - originated with the Romany, whose belief in magic, spellcasting, & prophecy has endured for nine centuries. Now, in this beautifully illustrated book, the author reveals time-honored secrets of the supreme practitioners of divination & the mystic arts. Drawing on tim ...more
Published January 15th 1999 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Good Spell Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Spell Book

DJ Harris
May 13, 2013 DJ Harris rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Wiccans
Recommended to DJ by: Received as Birthday Gift from My Ex-Husband
Shelves: review, wicca
This is primarily a book for people who are just looking to have fun or purchase a novelty for a friend. It isn't really meant to be taken too seriously. It is small, light, and compact therefore ideal for travel and very easy to conceal in a purse or large pocket. If you are a serious practitioner I would let this one get away.

The Good Spell Book: Love Charms, Magical Cures, and Other Practical Sorcery by Gillian Kemp 3 Star Review

If you are a newbie, and/or just curious, this books redeeming quality is that it is fantastic as a practice manual. Most everything in the book is bogus anyhow, so you
Natalie Pietro
I loved this book when I was a teenager. One sunmer my friends and I must have watched the craft to many times cause we were hypnotized by this movie. We found this book and would sit all day picking out the right spells and thinking of just how we would go about getting all the objects to make the spell work. As the summer ended I think we never really completed a spell. Just mostly sitting with lit candles, meditating, and trying to connect with the dead. Much fun and good memories but hey, do ...more
Madeline
Purchased during my Wicca phase in high school, this book is actually very nice, and I still refer to it occasionally. The spells are all taken from traditional Romany lore and remedies, and even if you don't believe in them the extra information about Romany culture and beliefs is still very interesting.
All of the spells are simple and not at all creepy - the most exotic ingredient you'll find here is essential oils and incense. The spells are divided into five groups: love, health, pets, weal
S. Policar
I really enjoyed this book. The spells are all Romany, some dating as far back as the 1600's. Personally, I've always been fascinated by the Gypsies and Gilliam Kemp's series on their spells is just amazing.

I found the spells fairly simple. I don't even the most thrifty of witches having a problem obtaining the small amount of things needed throughout the book. Some of the spells don't require anything other a candle, a campfire, paper, or a bay leaf.

This book has a collection of spells for just
Ralph
Over the past 5 years, this is the only spell book that has ever been 100% consistent and accurate with me. Each spell I've used has worked every time. The "job spell" has been really helpful, and has gotten me out of many a rough situation! Only use them for good...or else beware! Incredible havoc can be wreaked in your life....
Jai
Sweet, interesting, and beautiful, Kemp's line of books such as this one are great for anyone into magic or fantasy, even if you don't believe any of the stuff in it. The illustrated pages and classy ribbons are a nice touch--definitely a book to own and not simply borrow.
Leslie
i love halloween and all that comes with it....love all of gillian kemps books....cool texture on outter cover and ribbon book marks...each book is a different color and look nice on your shelf...this was my first of her works
McKelle Burk
Such a charming collection of gypsy spells and folklore! Whether you believe in magic, or not, a good read!
Dree Lucia
A favorite childhood memory of mine when I went through my "let's try to be a secret witch" phase and make my crush fall in love.
Reza
Feb 07, 2015 Reza is currently reading it
Stephanie
This is the first spell book I ever read at age 10 when I was first starting my journey as a pagan. For a beginner it was relatively easy to follow and doesn't require a lot of complicated or hard to find ingredients. The book is divided into spell type and has several spells in each section. This was also a great jumping off point and inspiration for writing my own spells. I would recommend it.
Katherine
A go-to book that all practitioners should own. The book itself gives off the energy that it has been in my family for generations with its old binding and tassels for page-holding. I also love how Kemp annotated the book before publishing to add little details we wouldn't normally know.
Mawgojzeta
A book of good physical quality; quite pleasant to look at and to hold. Contains a brief overview of the Romani people, spells, and various holiday descriptions.
Deirdre
my mother and I share Halloween as our birthday. this wonderful book was given to me as a gift. I haven't tried anything yet, but one day I shall.
Nicole
I loved this book! It had spells and remedies for health, wealth, happiness, and love. It was so great!
Primadonna
For the ones interested in spells and such, this book would be a wonderful read.
Karen Kozemczak
I LOVE this little book. It's been one of my favorites for years now.
Kaya-Renée Cousin
Jul 27, 2010 Kaya-Renée Cousin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who believes in magic
it was good, but its more of a DIY book than just something fun to read.
Victoria
Was a book I had when I was younger back in early 2000s
Cindy
love it! the only spells I have ever considered doing
Lauren
Some fun folklore in this one.
Michelle
such a cute book, I love it.
Nash
Best friend bible #1
Becca
cute and functional...would have liked a little more info and a little less frill.
Becca
not only cute but a little info tossed in.
Cassey
Cassey marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
  • Everyday Sun Magic: Spells & Rituals for Radiant Living
  • Advanced Candle Magick: More Spells and Rituals for Every Purpose
  • Charms, Spells, and Formulas: For the Making and Use of Gris Gris Bags, Herb Candles, Doll Magic, Incenses, Oils, and Powders
  • The Book of Spells, the Book of Spells
  • The Wicca Spellbook: A Witch's Collection of Wiccan Spells, Potions, and Recipes
  • The Wicca Handbook
  • To Light a Sacred Flame: Practical Witchcraft for the Millennium
  • Your Book Of Shadows: How to Write Your Own Magickal Spells
  • The Real Witches' Year: Spells, rituals and meditations for every day of the year
  • The Spells Bible: The Definitive Guide to Charms and Enchantments
  • Witchcraft on a Shoestring: Practicing the Craft Without Breaking Your Budget
  • The Complete Book of Incense, Oils & Brews
  • Crone's Book of Charms & Spells
  • Book of Witchery: Spells, Charms & Correspondences for Every Day of the Week
  • Sabbats: A Witch's Approach to Living the Old Ways
  • The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells: The Ultimate Reference Book for the Magical Arts
  • Earth Magic: A Book of Shadows for Positive Witches
The Dream Book: Dream Spells, Nighttime Potions and Rituals, and Other Magical Sleep Formulas The Fortune-Telling Book: Reading Crystal Balls, Tea Leaves, Playing Cards, and Everyday Omens of Love and Luck The Good Cat Spell Book The Love Magic Book: Potions for Passion and Recipes for Romance Good Witch, Bad Witch: Sweet Spells and Dark Charms [With Cards]