Start by marking “Books Children Love: A Guide to the Best Children's Literature” as Want to Read:
Books Children Love: A Guide to the Best Children's Literature

Books Children Love: A Guide to the Best Children's Literature

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  168 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
A love for reading is one of the most precious gifts that we can give children. It nurtures their imagination and creativity, lets them explore other worlds, and opens their minds to new truths and knowledge in appealing, inspiring ways. But how can we sort through thousands of children's books to discover the really worthwhile ones?

Elizabeth Wilson offers us a newly revis
Published October 30th 2002 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about Books Children Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Books Children Love

Shanna Gonzalez
May 21, 2009 Shanna Gonzalez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-lists
There are a number of annotated book list books available for Christian parents and teachers, and this is one of the best. In her introduction, Wilson explains that her philosophy grows out of Charlotte Mason’s concept of “living books,” and states that to be included in her list titles must be: (1) interesting to children, (2) of excellent literary quality, and (3) reflective of a view of human life that does not conflict with Judeo-Christian moral and ethical values. The preface is written by ...more
Megan Larson
Sep 28, 2009 Megan Larson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As annotated bibliographies for children go, this one is truly excellent. It is well-organized, thoroughly researched, and lovingly planned. It was inspired by the need for homeschooling (or even involved non-homeschooling) parents to have access to well-written books that reflect, or at least do not blatantly denounce, Judeo-Christian values. Parents of children beginning in preschool and continuing up through about 9th grade (and even later in a few cases) will benefit from this resource, whic ...more
Shelley
Dec 09, 2008 Shelley rated it it was ok
Books selected by the principles set forth by Charlotte Mason, in a variety of subjects, annotated list.

Animals
Growing Plants
History and Geography
Humor
Language
Literature (split between 3 levels of complexity)
Poetry and Rhymes
Organized Games
Special Needs (Loss, adoption, disabilit
Trish
Jun 18, 2014 Trish rated it really liked it
This was one of my guides when I started the Logos Library, and also a reading guide for my own children around 1990.
Jun 28, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
This is a great collection of books for children. In my opinion, every parents should have a list like this.
Anne
Jan 15, 2013 Anne rated it liked it
Shelves: education
This is a thorough reading list offering summaries of each book. It is divided by theme, and each selection is designated for a specific age group.

I appreciated the Charlotte Mason-inspired philosophy to book selection, and the summaries are helpful. But I found the book itself to be difficult to read (although it's not meant to be read straight through obviously). I think I would have preferred it to be divided according to age groups instead of themes, but that's just personal preference. See
Elise
Oct 11, 2013 Elise added it
Shelves: informational
This is just an index of great books for children. It was quite useful though, and I wanted to keep it longer but another library patron requested it. So I tried to type up a bunch of books I want to read with my kids into a google doc, and I spent over an hour doing that, but there were just too many! So I'll probably be checking this out again. I recommend this to those interested in pursuing a Charlotte Mason approach to literature-based education.
Trace
GREAT compilation of children's titles!! Some titles are out of print, but I respect the author for still including them. A great book is a great book and still worth reading, even if it takes a bit of effort to track down. I've already used this book to choose some of our read aloud books. I have a feeling I'll be referring to this book quite a bit over the years.

Cindi
Jan 12, 2009 Cindi rated it it was amazing
More than a book to read, this is a great reference. It holds a special place on my "about books and reading aloud" list because it includes a lot of categories that my other books don't have: art, music, crafts & hobbies, history & geography, dance & drama, humor and more. I've already requested some books in the art section of this book from the library.
Hope
Mar 04, 2014 Hope rated it it was amazing
Like Honey for a Child's Heart, this book points parents to the best books for children. What a treasure trove. The suggestions are for the kind of enduring classics that you can read over and over rather than the silly stuff that's out now that makes you cringe as you read it out loud.
faithful
Jul 30, 2008 faithful rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, children
A++ Must have for every parent that desires to encourage quality reading in their children. The shelves are not carefully stocked with great books so parents mst search for them. This reference tool is very helpful.
Jeniann
Mar 27, 2009 Jeniann rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschooling
A great collection of books for children by someone who likes the Charlotte Mason method. There are many books here on many topics. Lots of fun books to read just for the love of reading.
Heidi
Jul 19, 2008 Heidi rated it it was amazing
I went through and made a list of books for the preschool/kindergarten age. It is great to have this on-hand to help when we go to the library to choose books!
Michelle
Nov 16, 2007 Michelle rated it it was amazing
My favorite book about children's books! I've been through it a hundred times, checking off my finds as I am able to purchase these great recommendations.
Karen
Nov 11, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: about-reading
I love reading lists of suggested books to read aloud to children. I found books like this one to be a great resource when my children were younger.
Meredith Henning
Jun 18, 2012 Meredith Henning rated it really liked it
Such a nice resource. It's been a while since I looked at this one and it was great to revisit it for my older and newer readers :)
Like "Honey for a Child's Heart" this book has a great list of classic books for kids. Useful reference when running low on ideas.
Betsy
Feb 24, 2012 Betsy rated it really liked it
One of the things I appreciate most about the booklists in this guide is the sheer volume of nonfiction titles.... excellent resource.
Susan
Nov 26, 2008 Susan added it
An excellent resource that is currently on my wishlist...
Cortney
Jul 02, 2007 Cortney marked it as to-read
This looks like a valuable resource...
Captain America
Oct 29, 2012 Captain America marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family
kindle
Todd and Misty McKinley
Todd and Misty McKinley rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
FlynnFamily
FlynnFamily marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Brenda
Brenda added it
Feb 02, 2016
Katherine Pfeiffer
Katherine Pfeiffer is currently reading it
Jan 31, 2016
Megan Boehr
Megan Boehr marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
  • Books That Build Character: A Guide to Teaching Your Child Moral Values Through Stories
  • Honey for a Child's Heart: The Imaginative Use of Books in Family Life
  • For the Children's Sake
  • Charlotte Mason Companion
  • Tending the Heart of Virtue: How Classic Stories Awaken a Child's Moral Imagination
  • Landscape with Dragons: The Battle for Your Child's Mind
  • More Charlotte Mason Education: A Home Schooling How-To Manual
  • The Read-Aloud Handbook
  • Read for the Heart: Whole Books for Wholehearted Families
  • When Children Love to Learn: A Practical Application of Charlotte Mason's Philosophy for Today
  • 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum: Choosing the Right Educational Philosophy for Your Child's Learning Style
  • What to Read When: The Books and Stories to Read with Your Child--and All the Best Times to Read Them
  • Home Education