Start by marking “Parallel Play: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Parallel Play: A Novel

Parallel Play: A Novel

She’s still not quite sure how it happened. The biological part is fairly straightforward. It’s the wife-and-mother part that Eve can’t wrap her head around. Much to her surprise, Eve finds herself living in Brooklyn, married to a doctor named Harvey, and toting a young infant named Ann. How did she get here? And where is that maternal instinct that was supposed to have ki ...more
Published January 9th 2007 by Random House Trade Paperbacks (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Parallel Play, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parallel Play

Mark
Jul 09, 2009 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
An entertaining conclusion to the Colony Girl trilogy. Eve is now married, has a little girl, and wonders why she isn't feeling the maternal instincts she thinks everyone else is born with kick in. Her marriage is floundering, she can't seem to connect to the other mothers and young women her age, and on top of everything else, her daughter, Ann, is colicky. In typical fashion for Eve, (just Eve, no last names in the Bible) she just goes through the motions, hoping something will click, or her p ...more
Arielle
Mar 19, 2010 Arielle rated it liked it
Realizing that this was apparently part of a series and that my review may be tainted by the fact that I was unaware of that and therefore had not read the previous books, I still feel like something was lacking in the characterization of Eve. To a certain extent, the floaty quality of the writing and the story were nice in that they made the post-partum issues she was dealing with more real. In another way, they kept me from being too attached to the story (because Eve was so detached). I also ...more
Liz
Mar 09, 2007 Liz rated it liked it

"As a whole, Parallel Play's appeal lies in its bold decision to depict motherhood as something that can be scary, something that doesn't come naturally to everyone (at least not right away) and something that doesn't simply turn off one's connection to their past desires. Eve's persona may seem a little contrived, but her timid steps into motherhood (sometimes hilarious, sometimes unnerving) read as very real indeed."
Elise
May 08, 2014 Elise rated it liked it
I'm really now sure if I was supposed to like her. I have t read any other the books in this trilogy so I had no background on the character. As a new mom her descriptions of how she felt made her seems like she didn't want to be a mother even during her more tender moments. I had a hard time connecting with her and thus didn't find her story too appealing.
Rebecca Vnuk
Jan 12, 2016 Rebecca Vnuk rated it it was ok
Not what I thought it would be. Apparently though I would have liked it more had I known there were 2 previous books in a trilogy. Eve is unexpectedly a married mom and isn't too keen on the whole thing. Not a fluffy chick lit take at all, Eve has some issues with her parents and her previous relationships, and has no real ambitions.
Jane Calvin
Sep 20, 2008 Jane Calvin rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
I committed perhaps the pentultimate sin with this book: I threw it in a trash can. (Not before finishing it, of course. As if my obsessive brain would allow a thing like that!) The main character was so insipid and the writing was so disjointed and nonsensical that I felt I couldn't chance anyone else actually reading it. Please do not bother with this book.
Christy
Mar 07, 2008 Christy rated it liked it
I had no idea at the time that there were other books that went with this one. I did have the feeling that I was missing something here. If you grab this one on a whim, as I did, know that there are others: Colony Girl and Eve in the City. It'd probably be easier for me to evaluate them as a whole after seeing how this one fit into the overall storyline.
Tanya
Feb 10, 2008 Tanya rated it liked it
I had a hard time stopping myself from reading this book. I felt through Eve the feeling of not being sure of whether or not she wanted to be a mother. I watched her as she was afraid to bond with both her husband and her baby. I liked it because she was human, she had mixed emotions, but wasn't a perfect woman or an awful one either.
Alexa
Mar 17, 2008 Alexa rated it liked it
Another book about post partum depression, but interesting, and different enough, well written.
Reenie
Oct 13, 2009 Reenie added it
Ok book. MC is woman, but author is man-didn't quite get it right.
Julie
Sep 24, 2009 Julie rated it did not like it
unlikable main character. I kept reading in the hopes that she would redeem herself, but no such luck. Yuck!
Brandy clark
Brandy clark rated it it was ok
Dec 27, 2008
Ploat Loat
Ploat Loat rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2008
Margaret
Margaret rated it it was ok
Aug 11, 2010
Grecya
Grecya rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2012
Kari
Kari rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2013
Karen
Karen rated it it was ok
Mar 21, 2016
Kim
Kim rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2008
Julie
Julie rated it did not like it
Jul 16, 2014
Chrissy
Chrissy rated it it was ok
Nov 12, 2010
Erin
Erin rated it did not like it
Oct 07, 2009
Katie Busby
Katie Busby rated it it was ok
Nov 28, 2009
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2007
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2011
Kary
Kary rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2011
Laura rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2013
Trinity
Trinity rated it it was ok
Jul 20, 2009
Jill
Jill rated it did not like it
Feb 06, 2013
Christine
Christine rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2015
Jen
Jen rated it it was ok
Feb 13, 2010

“He didn't have to remember, I remembered. I had bronzed the words. No, they were fragments of bullet, lodged in my heart. Whenever I moved a certain way they ached, so I learned a totally different way, a new walk, except it wasn't really a walk, it was more a permanent limp.” 4 likes