Start by marking “Microbrewed Adventures: A Lupulin Filled Journey to the Heart and Flavor of the World's Great Craft Beers” as Want to Read:

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  133 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
From trading recipes with the bad boys of American beer to drinking Czech-Mex cerveza in Tijuana and hanging out in the beer gardens of Africa, Charlie Papazian has seen, and tasted, it all.

Microbrewed Adventures is your shotgun seat to unique, eccentric and pioneering craft-brews and the fascinating people who create them. Travel with Charlie as he crisscrosses America an
Published November 1st 2005 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Microbrewed Adventures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Microbrewed Adventures

Emma Sea
Jun 20, 2014 Emma Sea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Disappointing. I'm sure Papazian is both knowledgable about, and skilled at, making beer, but he is not a writer. This was not engaging in the least.
Gunnar
Jan 23, 2014 Gunnar rated it liked it
I found the recipes useful/interesting. The rest of the book is a loop of "I went to this place, met some nice people, had a good time, drank this and that beer with these characteristics."
Steve
Jan 25, 2008 Steve rated it liked it
Shelves: food-and-drink
Like many beginning homebrewers, Papazian's "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" helped introduce me to making my own beer. So when I saw his latest book at my local bookstore, I felt it deserved a look. In this volume, he brings his readers on a tour of the microbreweries and early beer festivals that helped create the commercial craft-brewing landscape that a youngster like me (27) can take for granted at times. The added bonus is that for each one of his anecdotes or reminiscences he includes a ...more
M
Jun 27, 2012 M rated it liked it
Shelves: homebrewing
Short quips and tales of visiting different breweries and beer gardens all over the world. Charlie writes about his many adventures over his career as a home brew guru. The best part of the book is the second half which has recipes for the beers he samples. It's really nice to see that each recipe in the book has both an all grain and extract version.
Frosty Roe
Feb 06, 2015 Frosty Roe rated it liked it
OK for a novice brewer thinking about what it would be like to travel the world and meet successful homebrewers that moved upwards a level or two. The blending of two or more beers at the tap was right up my alley. My personal favorite in a local bar lacking anything quality on tap is a Luna Gorda-- equal portions of Blue Moon and Fat Tire.
Chris
Dec 25, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing
Another great book about beer, homebrewing and microbrewing. I recommend Charlie P's books for all who enjoy reading nonfiction, they are full of history and anthropology. Give this one a look if you need some new reading material.
Jared Drake
Aug 13, 2014 Jared Drake rated it it was amazing
A wonderful voyage through the world's various beer styles and the start of the American craft beer movement, through the eyes of a man who is truly passionate about what he does. Plus, a large collection of beer recipes at the back, of which I'll have to choose a few to try to brew myself.
Jon
Sep 30, 2011 Jon rated it liked it
Shelves: beer, travel
I think this book really isn't too much about the beer. Is it one I'd recommend buying? Maybe if you really like beer or reading about traveling and eating. I'd say though if you like reading about travel and beer it's not a bad read.
Meg
Feb 22, 2010 Meg rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoirs
Oh, Papazian - you're so cool. Can't wait to make the Pumpernickel Rye Stout recipe.
Rob
May 17, 2008 Rob rated it it was amazing
Yay beer. just needs a st arnold's review and it would be book of the year.
Jeff
Jun 15, 2007 Jeff rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: beer geeks
Good stories and good recipes from the man who started it all.
Sara
Sara is currently reading it
Jun 11, 2016
Lori McClurg
Lori McClurg marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Kathryn
Kathryn is currently reading it
May 29, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Peter Haddad
Peter Haddad rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
Brent
Brent marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Christine
Christine is currently reading it
May 18, 2016
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Mirrol
Mirrol marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Gordon
Gordon marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Oğuz Karaesmen Tuğ
Oğuz Karaesmen Tuğ is currently reading it
May 11, 2016
bluespacething
bluespacething marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Andrew Tyson
Andrew Tyson marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
  • Extreme Brewing: An Enthusiast's Guide to Brewing Craft Beer at Home
  • Brew Like a Monk: Trappist, Abbey, and Strong Belgian Ales and How to Brew Them
  • Brewed Awakening: Behind the Beers and Brewers Leading the World's Craft Brewing Revolution
  • Wild Brews: Culture and Craftsmanship in the Belgian Tradition
  • Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation
  • Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles
  • Passion on the Vine: A Memoir of Food, Wine, and Family in the Heart of Italy
  • Michael Jackson's Great Beers of Belgium
  • The Compleat Meadmaker: Home Production of Honey Wine from Your First Batch to Award-Winning Fruit and Herb Variations
  • Farmhouse Ales: Culture and Craftsmanship in the Belgian Tradition