A Certain Justice (Abe Glitsky, #1)

A Certain Justice (Abe Glitsky #1)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,735 ratings  ·  65 reviews
When the angry white mob poured out of the bar on San Francisco's Geary Street and surrounded an innocent black man, Kevin Shea was the only one who tried to stop them. He failed, and now, thanks to a deceptive news photo taken during the melee, he is wanted for the murder himself-and the real culprits have threatened his life if he says a word.

As riots rage and politici...more
Published February 7th 2006 by Signet (first published August 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about A Certain Justice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Certain Justice

The Oath by John LescroartThe First Law by John LescroartA Certain Justice by John LescroartSunburn by John LescroartSon of Holmes by John Lescroart
Best of John Lescroart
3rd out of 26 books — 2 voters
Roses at Dusk by M.W. RussellThe Transient by M.W. RussellBound By Blood by Patti RobertsCornered Coyote by Dianne HarmanRelics by Maer Wilson
Upcoming Releases & New Releases
329th out of 594 books — 962 voters

More lists with this book...

Mary JL
Jan 22, 2011 Mary JL rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of mysteries, suspense and legal thrillers
Recommended to Mary JL by: I am a fan of this auhtor
Shelves: mystery-horror
This is well written, suspenseful and disturbing.

Kevin Shea is present at a modern day lynching. He pushes his way through the crowd and attemps to grab the victims legs to prevent his death, but he is too late. The arrival of the police causes everyone to scatter, including Kevin--it is too late to help the victim now.

Kevin wakes up the next day to find a free-lance photographer has snapped a shot of the scene--and his picture is all over the paper as the leader of the lynching!

Kevin is going t...more
Linda Munro
In San Francisco, people come to a bar to pay their last respects to a former patron who was murdered in a car jacking. As the alcohol flows the talk turn from the memorial to the black man who was released due to lack of evidence; by the time the successful black man leaves his keys in the car when he parks it near the bar, the mentality of the crowd had turned to that of a mob. As the mob begin to lynch the black man, a single bar patron attempts to help him but a nearby photographer snaps a p...more
Carl Brookins
San Francisco is the most tolerant city in the universe, right? Well, don’t forget it killed Harvey Milk. And now it’s after Kevin Shea, an innocent ordinary white male who was at the wrong place at the wrong time. In fact, if Shea had walked away from the incident that starts riots, lootings and burnings in the city by the bay, he’d have been home free. Instead, he tries to be a good Samaritan. Everything after that is down a very steep hill for Kevin Shea.

In A CERTAIN JUSTICE, Lescroart brings...more
Manugw
AN ORIGINAL POLITICAL THRILLER

This book, a political thriller has an original plot and is interesting enough to keep the reader riveted as never slackens its pace. Had the author added more twist and turns throughout all the story, it would have been more attractive and enjoyable and had also the author recreated more action packed suspense i.e.(the FBI tracking down Shea- the Pizzaiola shop episode) it would have been a hell of a -blockbuster--could-not -put- it- down. From my experience as a r...more
Charmaine Elliott
Good cop, bad politician with a couple of victims pretty much strikes me as the essence of this, my first Lescroart book. I bought it as an audible rendition and was tempted to go for the package deal with Guilt. I think Guilt will be very close to the bottom of my listening list. A Certain Justice is just not my kind of book. I thought for around three quarters of the book that it was written for a male audience - superficial action with little depth. Later on I decided that there were complexi...more
Jim
Do yourself a great big favor and take a wild ride through the streets of San Francisco with John Lescroart's "A Certain Justice" . A mystery thriller that twists and turns as fast as a bullet. A black kid and career criminal is released from lock up due to lack of evidence. Meanwhile in an Irish bar the patrons become appalled at watching TV of this black kid released and set free. The bar patrons storm out onto the street, and an innocent black man gets lynched. Among this mob lynching we find...more
Susan
Kevin Shea was just hanging out at a bar having a beer. The next thing he knew he was in the middle of a mob trying to help the victim of a modern-day lynching. And then the whole city of San Francisco was after him for killing the victim and starting the riot. John Lescroart tells this story with a credibility that makes your spine tingle. False accusations scare all of us and they should.
Marcia
This story centers on Abe Glitsky, a police lieutenant in San Francisco. The book graphically describes how a crowd can turn into a mob and then a lynch mob and how people get caught up in it. Kevin Shea, however, bucked the mob and almost paid with his own life. One subplot involved Glitsky and the US Senator Wager, who had been college sweethearts. The good & the bad of politics in the DA office formed another story. All of these were interwoven skillfully into action of the novel, which a...more
Fderoche
Lt. Abe Glitskey San Francisco Homicide tracks Kevin Shea (28 - San Francisco graduate student) and hanging of Arthur Wade (black lawyer). Did Kevin try to save -or- kill Arthur? Phillip Hohadas (African National Platform leader) follows photos from hanging to say Kevin's guilty (white guilty before black). Thureau's book "Presumed innocent" before guiltily is not followed. Melanie Sinclair (girlfriend), Wes Farell (Kevin's lawyer) and D.A. Elaine Wager (Sen. Wager's daughter mentioned below) tr...more
Blood Rose Books
John Lescroart looks what happens when a mob mentality takes over San Fransisco and everyone is willing to condemn a man for being in the wrong place at the wrong time

Kevin Shae really just wanted a night of drinking by himself, but when the pub he is sitting in starts to get rowdy and making racial remarks, Kevin knows it is time for him to leave. He never imagined that the men drinking in the bar would spill out to the street and start a frenzy of events that will change Kevin's life forever....more
Diana E. Young
This New York Times bestselling author John Lescroart delivers another winner with A Certain Justice. The novel is set in San Francisco and starts off with an angry mob of white men attacking a random black man, in retaliation for a senseless murder of a random white man by a black man.

These two events set off riots and the city becomes divided by race and fear. This causes political posturing in an attempt to bring normalcy back to the city. Lieutenant Abe Glitsky finds himself between a rock a...more
K
The 1995 book is an early story in the Dismas Harding series. An African American lawyer is lynched by a mob of drunk Irish Americans incensed at the murder of one of their friends by a black career criminal. Alone in trying to save the doomed lawyer is Keven Shea, a 28-year-old grad student. But when a photograph is misinterpreted and everyone believes Shea was the murderer Shea goes on the lam and becomes the target of a citywide manhunt. He also becomes San Francisco's chief symbol of racial...more
Lee
A good effort from Lescroart, missing Dismas Hardy for most of the book this is primarily a Abe Glitsky book. The novel starts with a young career criminal getting let off after being charged with the killing of a man. At a wake for the man who was killed his friends and acquaintances go out of the bar and string up a black man who happened by, the person being let go being black the man he killed white. One man trying to help the man being lynched is listed as the prime suspect due to a news ph...more
Dennis
I really liked this book, good character development, a plot that was not particularly predictable, and some depth of background.....Plus it takes place in San Fransisco which of course is a plus. I will be reading more of Lescroart's books for sure.
Stephanie York
This had a different twist which made me enjoy reading it. It does build a lot in the beginning and then tapers off in the middle but finishes better. I would recommend to someone looking for their next book.
Ron
This is a very well crafted story. Although with the political shenanigans and Kevin Shea's close calls, it was agonizing to read.
Ratforce
As a fan of John Grisham you might enjoy the legal mysteries of John Lescroart. A Certain Justice is the first in the Abe Glitsky series.
Marti
Now that I have read a number of John Lescroart books, I always have to check the Goodreads list to see if I have read a book or not. Happily, I hadn't read this one, which is mostly about Abe Glitsky, with Dismas Hardy only playing a small part. In a picture taken of a riot, one man seems to be trying to make sure that the black victim dies--but he is really trying to save the man's life. That is the basis of the story. Abe encounters an old love, Senator Loretta Wager, who is trying to make po...more
Darlis
We really enjoy listening to John Lescroart books in the car. We liked this one, too. The lynching scene is very disturbing, so don't let the kiddies listen to this part. This one has a lot of emotional, psychological stuff in it and not as much of the detection/legal as others. But, again, another really good one to listen to in the car.
Kim
I actually did not finish reading this book. It was so incredibly slow. I knew what was going to happen at the end at around page 300. Then I realized there were 200 pages left. Yikes! So I read the last 20 pages and got it over with.

I usually like Lescroart's books. But this was NOT his best work. The editing was horrible as well. There were many misspelled words and grammar mistakes. Sometimes it was very distracting. But most of all, the book was slow and boring. I don't recommend A Certain...more
Jimagn
One of his better books. Convoluted plot; characters with depth, for whom one feels some compassion; details and textures of the setting that enhance the movement of the story. I was sorry to see it end.
Kerwin Jn
A fine thriller.strong character development
Lynn Pribus
Lescroart writes a LONG mystery. He spends a long time fully developing the many characters related to the plot and the narrator of the audio book performed the many parts very well.

This book is a great example of let-no-good-deed-go-unpunished. A man who tries to prevent a lynching becomes the chief suspect. The SFPD, DAs office and FBI become involved and territorial.

I kept waiting for The Courtroom Scene. Bosch is connected to a now US Senator by an affair many year earlier. A complex, yet st...more
Sylvie
This was the first of my books for the Crime and Punishment book salon (for which I have quite a long list). I listened to it on audiobook and was pleasantly surprised. It is a typical crime/legal thriller, but set in San Francisco, so it had a lot of local color to make it more interesting for me than the average thriller. It moved quite quickly, but I did guess a few of the twists and was supremely annoyed by a couple of the stupid things the hero does towards the end of the book.
Min
This book is difficult for me to rate. Although Lescroart is one of my favourite authors, I had to set aside this book and it took a few false starts before I could read it.

It is extremely well-written and it's a compelling plot, but a book about a white man falsely accused of lynching a black man in the middle of San Francisco was just really difficult to read. But it may be a credit to Lescroart that he made everything so vivid that it was difficult to read.
Loretta
Another interesting plot starting with a lynching of an innocent black man and Kevin, who tried to save him. The plot interweaves into Lt. Abe Glitsky's personal and working life.
Marilyn
I should not have read this YET... it had plot points that gave away earlier incidents that refer to earlier books in the Dismas Hardy series.
Keri
This is one of Abe Glitsky's book and it has been totally gripping. A black man kills a white man and with overwhelming evidence is set free. A black man is hung by what appears to be a white man. He must pay. Pictures don't lie, right? That is the whole start of the book and it only becomes more surreal from there as San Francisco starts to turn to ash as race riots and tensions start to burn. It was awesome!
Ruby
Mmmm, nope, don't recommend it. It's very slow to start even though there is lots of action-you don't care about anybody, it's very unbelievable, and it just seems to drag. Even by the end, the people have pretty much stayed as caricatures... Life s too short, read something else :-}

I see I am in a minority with this review, but I guess I'll stick with it. There are just so many BETTER books to read!
Jaime
This is either part of the Dismas Hardy series or part of a separate Abe Glitsky series, depending on your source. I really enjoyed this book. Hardy hardly appears in it at all, so you really get to know Abe Glitsky. The “fugitives” are also very likable characters.

I mostly had it figured out by the end (which I don’t mind), but I forgot that I already knew about one of the twists from later books.
  • The Jury (Paul Madriani, #6)
  • Reversible Error (Butch Karp, #4)
  • Motion to Suppress
  • Reversible Errors (Kindle County Legal Thriller, #6)
  • Conviction (Christopher Paget, #4)
  • The First Counsel
  • The Pied Piper (Boldt/Matthews #5)
  • The Jury Master (David Sloane, #1)
  • Perfect Justice (Ben Kencaid, #4)
  • Eye Of The Beholder
John Lescroart (born January 14, 1948) is an American author best known for two series of legal and crime thriller novels featuring the characters Dismas Hardy and Abe Glitsky.

Lescroart was born in Houston, Texas, and graduated from Junípero Serra High School, San Mateo, California (Class of 1966). He then went on to earn a B.A. in English with Honors at UC Berkeley in 1970. In addition to his nov...more
More about John Lescroart...
The 13th Juror (Dismas Hardy, #4) Damage (Abe Glitsky, #3) A Plague of Secrets (Dismas Hardy, #13) The Second Chair (Dismas Hardy #10) Dead Irish