Start by marking “Flight of the Buffalo: Soaring to Excellence, Learning to Let Employees Lead” as Want to Read:

Flight of the Buffalo: Soaring to Excellence, Learning to Let Employees Lead
Published August 1st 1994 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Flight of the Buffalo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flight of the Buffalo

Ray Kelly
Feb 18, 2015 Ray Kelly rated it it was amazing
Flight of the Buffalo is one of the best books I have read on organizational culture. It is particularly useful if you want to learn more about empowering your employees through self-managed teams. Written by James Belasco and Ralph Stayer, the book demonstrates that modern leaders need to learn to relinquish more control, and trust their coworkers to share in the responsibilities of the organization. I was fortunate to have been able to work directly with James Belasco in 1995 for the implement ...more
Troy Swinehart
Jan 22, 2013 Troy Swinehart rated it it was ok
Reading this as part of a leader mentoring program through my current company.

Back in college we would yell "Buffalo!" when we would catch one of our drinking buddies not following the made up steps of our ritual drinking game. They would then be forced to chug the balance of their beer right on the spot while we made jokes at their expense.

Wouldn't it be great if we could do the same thing when we caught one of our co-workers "waiting for the lead buffalo" to make a decision or light the way. "
Adrian Camacho
Dec 05, 2013 Adrian Camacho rated it it was amazing
Character: I rate the characters a four. the characters were described pretty good. The story didn't describe the actual characteristics of them, but focused on their success. I really enjoyed the characters because they gave off a personal connection due to their interest in business. the characters are very believable because they are very knowledgeable about what they are talking about. This gives off a very believable act because they know what they are talking about. He also shows his own s ...more
Troy Patti
Jan 28, 2009 Troy Patti rated it really liked it
I realized right away when reading this book that as a manager I've been working harder not smarter. This book walks you through years of leadership/management experience where the author illustrates how to "teach men to fish" by empowering employees and transferring ownership for success. Using the Metaphor of how a Buffalo (managerial capitalism) lead by Command, Control, Hierarchy, One Leader, One Voice, VERSUS the teamwork metaphor of GEESE (intellectual capitalism) in flight Transferring ow ...more
Bernard
Nov 19, 2008 Bernard rated it really liked it
One of the best business books I've ever read. Explains why self-organization is so vital for companies who want to succeed in the information age.

The book uses anecdotes from companies in several industries including IT to explain why the command-and-control model is outdated and not the most effective way of running an organization. The key to success is allowing each company member to be a leader in the organization rather than have employees who just follow orders.

In essence, rather than a
Dustin McQuay
Apr 08, 2008 Dustin McQuay rated it liked it
Shelves: business
I read this a while ago and I don't remember a lot. What that says to me is that it didn't focus on key points enough. However, I do remember some good insight on letting go as a manager/leader so that people can be great on their own. If people are told what to do they don't practice thinking for themselves. So then, instead of having tons of people in a company sharing and pooling their expertise and applying it themselves, close to the problem, avoiding the clunkiness of typical corporate pro ...more
Michael
Mar 28, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it
Of the different books I have read about how businesses operate, this is one of the best I have read. I tend to believe that CEO's are overvalued in the US perception of a companies success and that businesses are only as good as their employees. As a consequence, this is a good book for a guy like me to read.
Kc
Jul 09, 2009 Kc rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Favorite takeaways:

Leadership is making it possible for others to follow by thinking strategically and focusing on the right direction, removing the obstacles, developing ownership and taking self-directed actions.

The person who does the job must own responsibility for doing it correctly.

People perform what they measure.

An organization is a reflection of what is accepted.
Debie Orrell
Mar 04, 2008 Debie Orrell rated it really liked it
Great book on management. Learn to look at yourself as being the problem, then look to your team for the solutions. They will usually come up with more extensive goals than you can. Remember the customer knows what he needs, all you need to do is ask and you will have the answers.
Kate
What a wild concept. Treat your employees like they have brains in their heads. Let them work together to solve problems. Wow. Some managers understand this, and when they do, a lot more work gets done.
Brandon W.
Mar 14, 2016 Brandon W. rated it it was amazing
The book that started me on my journey of leadership and ultimately becoming an author myself. Outstanding read that has influenced me for the past 20 years.
Jason
Feb 14, 2015 Jason rated it liked it
Shelves: book-challenge
Good book on organizational structures. Good business reading.
Andrea Garfield
Andrea Garfield rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2008
Arturo Santos Jr
Arturo Santos Jr rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Rebecca Rodriguez
Rebecca Rodriguez rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2011
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2016
John Gravitt
John Gravitt rated it it was ok
Sep 06, 2009
Bill
Bill rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2017
Dave Fullerton
Dave Fullerton rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2013
John
John rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2014
Anna J.
Anna J. rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2013
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2015
Nancy Cardone
Nancy Cardone rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2015
Grace Leaf
Grace Leaf rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2008
Charles
Charles rated it it was ok
Nov 01, 2013
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was ok
Jul 27, 2009
Betsy
Betsy rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2012
Trina
Trina rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Marek Unt
Marek Unt rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2011
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Leaders: Strategies for Taking Charge (Collins Business Essentials)
  • Legal Briefs: Short Stories by Today's Best Thriller Writers
  • Bury My Heart at Conference Room B: What Truly Drives the World's Most Passionate Managers
  • The Finish Rich Workbook: Creating a Personalized Plan for a Richer Future (Get out of debt, Put your dreams in action and achieve Financial Freedom
  • Managing Corporate Lifecycles: How to Get to and Stay at the Top
  • Power and Greed: A Short History of the World
  • How the Best Leaders Lead: Proven Secrets to Getting the Most Out of Yourself and Others
  • Operations Management For Competitive Advantage
  • Financial Accounting [with CD-ROM]
  • The Profit Zone: How Strategic Business Design Will Lead You to Tomorrow's Profits
  • The No-Nonsense Guide to Globalization
  • Endless Universe
  • New Venture Creation: Entrepreneurship for the 21st Century
  • The Power of Impossible Thinking: Transform the Business of Your Life and the Life of Your Business [With CDROM]
  • Start Your Own Business
  • Beck Diet Solution Weight Loss Workbook: The 6-week Plan to Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person
  • My Life, Volume II: The Presidential Years
  • Rules For Revolutionaries: The Capitalist Manifesto for Creating and Marketing New Products and Services