Start by marking “Whiskey: The Definitive World Guide” as Want to Read:
Whiskey: The Definitive World Guide

Whiskey: The Definitive World Guide

From grain to glass, "Whiskey tells you everything and anything you'll ever want to know about whiskey, from storing and serving whiskey, whiskey cocktails, to pairing whiskey with food. Whether interested in the story behind aromas and flavors, what makes certain distilleries unique or how weather and environment influence taste--this is the most fascinating illustrated e ...more
Published May 16th 2005 by DK (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Whiskey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whiskey

Flávio Sousa
Jan 24, 2012 Flávio Sousa rated it it was ok
Shelves: beer-and-wine
Let me be blunt and upfront by stating that the redeeming points of this book are the eye candy DK-patented images and the regional anecdotes pertaining to whiskey.

The book, amazingly (taking into consideration the contribution given by Michael Jackson) fails at achieving technical rigor; Case-in-point, the first thing one reads as soon as one turns the last indexed page: "Ale: Any beer that is black and bitter." This of course is an absolute monstrosity, especially considering it's located in t
If I ever have this book on my shelf, will my beard turn gray and my hairline pull to the top of my skull? Will I call old friends who now have families and careers and all I have to show for my gray beard and bald head, are books and bottles of whiskey?

If I ever have this book on my shelf, will I have money and will I care about things like fine whiskey and cocktails and my stock portfolio that is huge and throbbing against my finances?

If I ever have this book on my shelf, will I still listen
Doug Frantz
Dec 01, 2014 Doug Frantz rated it liked it
great book for the whiskey lover. I wish it went in more details for us beginners but I def learned a good deal about upper class whiskey
Jun 20, 2014 Shilpa rated it it was amazing
A great go to guide, for everything you want to know about whiskey.
Full review at:

Feb 10, 2012 Mel marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
I love this book! Passionately written by the best in the business and filled with stunning photographs this is essential reading for anyone in the drinks trade or even for those with just a casual interest in the amber liquid. It's not just a book of facts, it's highly entertaining too with lots of anecdotes and quirky details- when reading it feels more like having a chat in a cosy pub with a good mate.
Mar 02, 2016 Nick rated it really liked it
Shelves: whisky, beer-brewing
An absolutely stunning read with wonderful pictures and memorable passages. It is a wonderful book to seek out if you have any interest whatsoever in whisky, its history, and its production.

It is a shame that Michael Jackson (not the pop singer) passed away before he could write a follow-up to this.
Jan 08, 2008 Adam rated it it was amazing
Michael Jackson is not a pop-singer--All you ever wanted to know about whisk(e)y, with really amazing photos to go along with it. Be careful--I had to give my copy away.
Apr 18, 2014 Greg rated it did not like it
was once an excellent book, but someone decided to make an American edition and misspell the word whisky throughout which made it unreadable for me.
Oct 16, 2009 Carnevale8705 rated it liked it
Again, the title of the book says it all.
Apr 14, 2008 Whiskey_taichou rated it it was amazing
The bible of Whisky. It is astounding!
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it
not modest but he is good
Sep 20, 2012 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
whisk(e)y is good.
Sep 04, 2008 Barracuda rated it it was amazing
Whisky is awesome.
Rob marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2016
Liz is currently reading it
Oct 17, 2016
Peter rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2016
Bosco D'Souza
Bosco D'Souza marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2016
Mayuran Athimoolam
Mayuran Athimoolam rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Jennifer Worrell
Jennifer Worrell is currently reading it
Sep 21, 2016
Isaac rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Samantha Albala
Samantha Albala rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2016
Gabe rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2016
Chase Robertson
Chase Robertson marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Kyle rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Johan Hofmans
Johan Hofmans rated it really liked it
May 27, 2016
Quinn M Carroll
Quinn M Carroll rated it really liked it
May 24, 2016
Micah Krabill
Micah Krabill marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
  • 101 Whiskies to Try Before You Die
  • Jim Murray's Whisky Bible (2009)
  • Bourbon, Straight: The Uncut and Unfiltered Story of American Whiskey
  • Alcoholica Esoterica: A Collection of Useful and Useless Information As It Relates to the History andC onsumption of All Manner of Booze
  • The Homebrewer's Garden: How to Easily Grow, Prepare, and Use Your Own Hops, Malts, Brewing Herbs
  • Seductions of Rice
  • The Naked Pint: An Unadulterated Guide to Craft Beer
  • Extreme Brewing: An Enthusiast's Guide to Brewing Craft Beer at Home
  • InterCourses: An Aphrodisiac Cookbook
  • A Return to Cooking
  • Best Thing I Ever Tasted: The Secret of Food
  • 99 Drams of Whiskey: The Accidental Hedonist's Quest for the Perfect Shot and the History of the Drink
  • The Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible
  • The Accidental Vegetarian:  Delicious Food Without Meat
  • The Art of the Bar: Cocktails Inspired by the Classics
  • Punch: The Delights (and Dangers) of the Flowing Bowl
  • Drink This: Wine Made Simple
  • Le Cordon Bleu's Complete Cooking Techniques: The Indispensable Reference Demonstates over 700 Illustrated Techniques with 2,000 Photos and 200 Recipes