Start by marking “Whiskey: The Definitive World Guide” as Want to Read:
Whiskey: The Definitive World Guide

Whiskey: The Definitive World Guide

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  12 reviews
From grain to glass, "Whiskey tells you everything and anything you'll ever want to know about whiskey, from storing and serving whiskey, whiskey cocktails, to pairing whiskey with food. Whether interested in the story behind aromas and flavors, what makes certain distilleries unique or how weather and environment influence taste--this is the most fascinating illustrated e ...more
Published May 16th 2005 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley) (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Whiskey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whiskey

Flávio Sousa
Let me be blunt and upfront by stating that the redeeming points of this book are the eye candy DK-patented images and the regional anecdotes pertaining to whiskey.

The book, amazingly (taking into consideration the contribution given by Michael Jackson) fails at achieving technical rigor; Case-in-point, the first thing one reads as soon as one turns the last indexed page: "Ale: Any beer that is black and bitter." This of course is an absolute monstrosity, especially considering it's located in t
Jacob
If I ever have this book on my shelf, will my beard turn gray and my hairline pull to the top of my skull? Will I call old friends who now have families and careers and all I have to show for my gray beard and bald head, are books and bottles of whiskey?

If I ever have this book on my shelf, will I have money and will I care about things like fine whiskey and cocktails and my stock portfolio that is huge and throbbing against my finances?

If I ever have this book on my shelf, will I still listen
Shilpa
A great go to guide, for everything you want to know about whiskey.
Full review at: http://www.sukasastyle.com/2014/06/wh...

Mel
Feb 10, 2012 Mel marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
I love this book! Passionately written by the best in the business and filled with stunning photographs this is essential reading for anyone in the drinks trade or even for those with just a casual interest in the amber liquid. It's not just a book of facts, it's highly entertaining too with lots of anecdotes and quirky details- when reading it feels more like having a chat in a cosy pub with a good mate.
Nick
Sep 13, 2009 Nick rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: whisky
An absolutely stunning read with wonderful pictures and memorable passages. It is a wonderful book to seek out if you have any interest whatsoever in whisky, its history, and its production.

It is a shame that Michael Jackson (not the pop singer) passed away before he could write a follow-up to this.
Adam
Michael Jackson is not a pop-singer--All you ever wanted to know about whisk(e)y, with really amazing photos to go along with it. Be careful--I had to give my copy away.
Greg
was once an excellent book, but someone decided to make an American edition and misspell the word whisky throughout which made it unreadable for me.
Carnevale8705
Again, the title of the book says it all.
Whiskey_taichou
The bible of Whisky. It is astounding!
Catherine Woodman
not modest but he is good
Ryan
whisk(e)y is good.
Barracuda
Whisky is awesome.
Mohit Sharma
Mohit Sharma marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Le Phong
Le Phong marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Elie
Elie marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Alicja Psiuk
Alicja Psiuk marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Matan Ephrat
Matan Ephrat marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Philby
Philby marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Zac
Zac is currently reading it
Oct 04, 2014
David Martin
David Martin marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Mo
Mo is currently reading it
Sep 18, 2014
Timothy Schroeder
Timothy Schroeder marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Nat
Nat marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
  • 101 Whiskies to Try Before You Die
  • Jim Murray's Whisky Bible (2009)
  • Imbibe!: From Absinthe Cocktail to Whiskey Smash, a Salute in Stories and Drinks to "Professor" Jerry Thomas, Pioneer of the American Bar
  • Alcoholica Esoterica: A Collection of Useful and Useless Information As It Relates to the History andConsumption of All Manner of Booze
  • The Oxford Companion to Beer
  • The Complete Joy of Homebrewing
  • The Homebrewer's Garden: How to Easily Grow, Prepare, and Use Your Own Hops, Malts, Brewing Herbs
  • Extreme Brewing: An Enthusiast's Guide to Brewing Craft Beer at Home
  • Seductions of Rice
  • The Naked Pint: An Unadulterated Guide to Craft Beer
  • 99 Drams of Whiskey: The Accidental Hedonist's Quest for the Perfect Shot and the History of the Drink
  • Best Thing I Ever Tasted: The Secret of Food
  • A Return to Cooking
  • Drink This: Wine Made Simple
  • Local Breads: Sourdough and Whole-Grain Recipes from Europe's Best Artisan Bakers
  • The Book Lover's Cookbook
  • Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation
  • The Wine Bible
Michael Jackson's Great Beer Guide Ultimate Beer Complete Guide to Single Malt Scotch Beer Michael Jackson's Beer Companion: The World's Great Beer Styles, Gastronomy, and Traditions