Start by marking “The Celery Stalks at Midnight” as Want to Read:
The Celery Stalks at Midnight

The Celery Stalks at Midnight (Bunnicula #3)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  10,079 Ratings  ·  191 Reviews
Chester the cat is more than ever convinced that Bunnicula is a vampire when there is a harvest of white vegetables on the morning after the night that Bunnicula was probably wandering through the neighborhood.
Published September 2002 by Scholastic Inc. (first published 1983)

Jessica
In the third installment of books written by intrepid and long-suffering dog Harold X about his adventures living with his family and his fellow animals Chester the neurotic cat and Bunnicula the vampire rabbit, we find further upheaval in their lives. For one thing, they have a new dog, Howie the dachshund puppy, who calls Harold "uncle" and Chester "pop." Then you have the strange behavior of the family one sunny day, followed by the disappearance of Bunnicula! Could the little bunny have made ...more
April
Apr 29, 2009 April rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, own, childrens, zombies
No matter how you slice it, the fact of the matter is that I am a fan of both zombie vegetables AND mystery solving animals. I also quite like old school book covers and vampiric rabbits. Of course, I really took to The Celery Stalks At Midnight by James Howe, third in the Bunnicula series, gobbling it up during the April 2012 Dewey Readathon in an hour or so.
Read the rest of my review here
Christina
In the third installment of the Bunnicula series, Bunnicula escapes from his cage and vegetables are turning white again. After realizing his mistake, that you have to drive a stake through a vampire, not a steak, Chester arms himself with toothpicks and sets out to find Bunnicula and stake all vegetable victims turned into minion vampires. Of course Harold joins the crusade, along with Howie, the Monroe's newest addition to the family, who was acquired from Cheateau Bow-Wow. But things turn fro ...more
Dolly
Nov 08, 2010 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I have the most remarkable coincidences in my reading selections and it never ceases to amaze me when it happens. Like, for example, today, when I am reading this book with our girls and Chester makes reference to Thoreau. "It's...it's natural, organic, back-to-the-earth. Thoreau would have been proud of you." I just happened to recently pick up Walden again (for the third or fourth time) and am making an earnest attempt at finishing it...finally! So, it's the little things like this that make m ...more
Andrea Galbusieri
Mar 15, 2014 Andrea Galbusieri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
They're too cute! I can't stop reading about Harold, Chester, Howie and Bunnicula.
Hollowspine
Feb 27, 2010 Hollowspine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Another of the wonderful Bunnicula series, again read to me by my brother. This time the action again centers around Bunnicula, the veggie juice sucking vampire bunny. This time however it's not the bunny himself that has Chester up in arms, but his vegetable victims. It all starts when Bunnicula gets loose from his cage and then white vegetables appear around the neighborhood.

One great thing about this book was it's hilarious and perfect title. Very clever and funny. Chester remains my favorite
LobsterQuadrille

The Celery Stalks at Midnight is a cute and silly little book quite similar in plot to Bunnicula, the first of the series. The animal characters are still adorable, and the story as a whole is amusing, but it felt to me that the basic plot was a little too similar to that of Bunnicula. I think it could have been more original. Also, it wasn't quite as satisfying to read because it's rather short, so it feels a bit insubstantial.

It's a decent book, but it could have been better.
Gena Lott
Howe is a great writer who uses puns profusely and has gotten into the heads of three very distinctive animals.
Some of his plays on words may be lost on the intended audience of 4th grade readers, but they stories are still full of fun and especially good as a read-aloud where an adult can explain some of the word fun.
Aditya /
May 22, 2011 Aditya / rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book almost 20 years ago, and don't remember much about it except that it was down to earth and funny, and that I always remembered the title as a book I loved -- which matches what some of the younger reviewers are saying :) For those who liked this.. I suggest reading Owl In Love after a few years :) Say.. when you're around 14 or older.
Claire
Mar 31, 2010 Claire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I used this book for my book report. It is a good choice. You should also read Bunnicula. That is also one of James Howe's famous books. I love this book. :) :) :):):):):):P:P:P:P:P:):):):):):):):)::)::):):):):):):):):):):P:):O):):):):):P):):):):):)P:) :) :) :) :) :P :)P L)BL) :) :) :)NB :) :) :) :LPOBN READ THIS BOOK. I LOVE THIS BOOK.
Kate
Aug 27, 2016 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nearly as good as the first. Harold and Chester scour the neighborhood for vampire minion veggies when Bunnicula disappears from his cage. No scene compares to the steak/stake mistake but we still laughed out loud more than once. Unlike many intermediate grades novels, this one has aged well.
Teresa
Cute and entertaining, some of the jokes went over my 9 year old's head, not that they were inappropriate but perhaps too old fashioned due to the age of the book.
Cristi-Lael
Oct 14, 2015 Cristi-Lael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, own
Oh, how I love this series! These are so much fun to read aloud to my kids. And perfect for reading in October!
Hilary
Bunnicula is a true classic of children's literature. There's just something appealing about a vampire rabbit, right? As much as I adored that book when I was young, I don't recall even knowing there were sequels - much less reading them myself. I'm remedying that situation now, and thankfully so far they have all proven to be incredibly fun and entertaining reads. Which brings us to the third book in the Bunnicula adventures: The Celery Stalks at Midnight!

This book, as the others do, follow t
Alex
Nov 20, 2016 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one didn’t age as well for me as Bunnicula did, but it was still better than the second book. The only character that was brought in for a cameo from Howliday Inn was the least interesting one, and the new character (Howie) was “needed” to deliver puns throughout but served no narrative purpose. The puns were made all the more painful by Howie’s need to point out every single one. My recommendation would be to stop with the first book.
Adrian
Nov 01, 2016 Adrian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shorter, but not as good as the first two. Owen loved them all, but I was glad to finish listening.
Oct 25, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, favorites
One of my favourite books when I was young. Reread it for fun. Still love it.
Caterpickles
This month, The Nine-Year-Old discovered Bunnicula — the vampire rabbit who drains the life juices from vegetables, rendering them into shriveled white zombies who stalk the kitchens at midnight. The only way to stop a Zombie Veg is to stake it through the heart with a toothpick. The Nine-Year-Old has valiantly offered to assume this duty for our family.

Read the original post on Caterpickles.
Diane
Dec 24, 2016 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Bunnicula is missing from his cage and this leads Chester to the conclusion that the vampire bunny is loose, draining more vegetables of their juice. The vegetables then become Bunnicula's army of the night. Chester decides they must save the town from this horror and, with Harold and Howie in tow, and armed with toothpicks, they go out in search of evil.

This has always been one of my favorite series. They are a riot. The paranoid, often hysterical cat and the trusting, sometimes slow-witted dog
Fizzgig76
When Bunnicula disappears from his cage, Chester thinks his nefarious plan has finally been launched. When white vegetables begin to show up all over the neighborhood, Chester tries to convince Harold and Howie that the vegetables are the first step of Bunnicula’s army…and Bunnicula and his vegetables must be stopped!

Written by James Howe and illustrated by Leslie Morrill, The Celery Stalks at Midnight is the third entry in the Bunnicula series and a follow-up to Howliday Inn from 1982.

I loved B
É O'Conghaile
Sep 27, 2014 É O'Conghaile rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Good-enough book. But, I have some criticisms. Among them is that several times there is the use of the s-word with regard to hunger. This is unnecessary and offensive, particularly so in a children's book. Also, the main theme of this book is the undead subjects of Bunnicula's alleged attacks - the celery and presumably other vegetables Chester has claimed Bunnicula has drained the life force out of. While rather unsurprising in the series (and perhaps inevitable), and rather overlapped in horr ...more
Michelle Isenhoff
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of artichokes?

This title and catch phrase just cracked me up. This is the third in the Bunnicula series. It took only four days to read aloud, and my boys enjoyed it, but it isn’t quite the caliber of Howliday Inn, which isn’t quite the caliber of Bunnicula. In this one, Chester begins to wonder what happens to the vegetables the vampire bunny bites? Do they become vampires themselves. Are they plotting to take over all of Centerville? Could the Monroes (i
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3 STARS

"CHESTER, the cat, Harold, the dog, Bunnicula, the vampire (?) rabbit, and Howie, the wirehaired dachshund puppy, return in this sequel to Bunnicula: A Rabbit Tale of Mystery and Howliday Inn to ask the question: Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of lettuce?

Chester has just finished retelling the tale of Bunnicula to Howie, who has just joined the Monroe family, when he discovers that Bunnicula is missing from his cage. Chester stays up all night worrying. What becomes of the vegeta
Myles
Jan 16, 2011 Myles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-stuff, lent
Another entertaining installment to the Bunnicula books, even if Howe has retreated from the length and ambition that was present in Howliday Inn.

Suspicious feline detective/conspiracist Chester, his Watson Harold are now joined by Howie, the dachshund puppy introduced at the end of the last novel whose purpose is to provide Short Round comic relief in the form of puns.

Bunnicula the vampire bunny takes a big part again, having been on the loose outside in the night. Chester is afraid that these
Michele Lee
We bought this book from the library book sale.

Chester and Harold are back, along with new partner in crime Howie. Unfortunately Bunnicula is missing, and Chester takes it upon himself to teach Harold and Howie the dangers of having a vampire bunny on the lose (in the form of veggie ghoul minions wandering around the neighborhood). So now the trio are on a mission to stake all the white vampire victim veggies they can find before they rise, and to find and imprison (or destroy) Bunnicula for go
Jun 01, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: walts-reading
We are doing these out of order, but we found it for 25 cents at a Library sale, will probably re-read it in order after we find the others.....

Honestly this is probably a little old for WALT, but I remembered them so fondly from my childhood I found it hard to wait....He got the main idea, had some questions about vocabvlary (which is good) but wasn't as excited as I was....We will wait a couple of years and then start with the first one, with WALT reading them to me!!

ALl in all not a bad set o
Ape
Jan 24, 2011 Ape rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampire
I seem to be going through a phase at the moment of re-reading a lot of my books from my childhood. I thought this particular one was brilliant when I was little. Well, it's all right for passing the time, but it doesn't keep its charm in the way a lot of the other children's books you could call classics do.

It's about the family pets - dog Harold, puppy Howie and cat Chester, with the over reactive imagination, who is convinced that the family rabbit is actually a vampire. Sucking the juices f
Amy
Jun 04, 2014 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to revisit this childhood book called "Bunnicula" that I read as a teen during my fascination with Dracula. It was a cute book and after re-reading it, I still felt the same. Then I realized that the co-author, having lost his wife (and writing partner) had written five more books in a "Bunnicula series." So I started reading them. I wasn't as impressed. This one was a little better than the second in that it kept with it's children's themes and steered clear of the more mature themes t ...more
Jesse Whitehead
Aug 04, 2015 Jesse Whitehead rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Celery Stalks at Midnight is a continuation of the story of Harold and Chester, the cat with the overactive imagination.

Chester thinks Bunnicula is loose and leads Harold and their new friend Howie on a chase across town to kill all the vampire vegetables.

Antics ensue.

I found I enjoyed this one much more than I did as a child. As a child it didn’t have the same sense of mystery that Howliday Inn had and was only a fun adventure. As an adult it’s still just a farcical journey through a neighb
Eden
Aug 11, 2010 Eden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, reviewed
Bunnicula is missing and Chester is worried about the vegetables. Sure enough Chester, Harold and Howie begin to find white vegetables.

To make sure the vegetables don't come back, Chester has Harold and Howie go around and help him stake the vegetables with toothpicks. Their search for white vegetables takes on them on quite an adventure.

This is the third book in the Bunnicula series. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the first and second books. But, it is still a fun book and enjoyable. I rea
You'll love this ...: Celery Stalks at Midnight 12 56 Oct 22, 2012 05:55PM
  • I, Houdini
  • Christina's Ghost
  • The Mummy, the Will, and the Crypt (Johnny Dixon, #2)
  • Scruffy
  • Little Mouse on the Prairie
  • My Teacher Flunked the Planet (My Teacher is an Alien, #4)
  • Runaway Ralph (Ralph S. Mouse, #2)
  • Tucker's Countryside
  • Anastasia, Ask Your Analyst (Anastasia Krupnik, #4)
  • The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks
  • Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man (Encyclopedia Brown, #4)
  • Zombies Don't Play Soccer (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #15)
  • Ghosts I Have Been (Blossom Culp, #2)

James Howe has written more than eighty books in the thirty-plus years he's been writing for young readers. It sometimes confuses people that the author of the humorous Bunnicula series also wrote the dark young adult novel, The Watcher, or such beginning reader series as Pi
More about James Howe...

Bunnicula (7 books)
  • Bunnicula (Bunnicula, #1)
  • Howliday Inn (Bunnicula, #2)
  • Nighty-Nightmare (Bunnicula, #4)
  • Return to Howliday Inn (Bunnicula, #5)
  • Bunnicula Strikes Again! (Bunnicula, #6)
  • Bunnicula Meets Edgar Allan Crow (Bunnicula, #7)